Your neighbors are your best disaster prep

Posted by: AKSAR

Your neighbors are your best disaster prep - 12/28/19 11:03 PM

Strong ties to you neighbors are your best preps for disasters!
Strengthening neighborhood ties
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Your neighbors are your best disaster prep - 12/29/19 03:08 AM

Excellent article and quite correct. A ggod antidote to the attitude expressed by many that neighbors are a liability, not an asset.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Your neighbors are your best disaster prep - 12/29/19 12:58 PM

Good share, thank you AKSAR.
Posted by: Michael2

Re: Your neighbors are your best disaster prep - 12/31/19 04:00 PM

I found this link, The Twin-Bucket Emergency Toilet, to be the most interesting reference in the article.

It's such a simple idea, but I just hadn't thought about it before. Obvious after you read it, but easy to forget about if you haven't.

It says, if you need to set up an emergency "bucket" toilet, set up two, one for pee and one for solid waste. Urine is generally sterile, but takes up a lot more volume over time; it is, however, easier to dispose of. Solid waste is what carries the potentially dangerous pathogens and requires more care.

I got a simple camping toilet (seat, cover, outer holder and inner bucket) a few decades ago and stuck it in the attic. I was partly thinking of the big earthquake (our local most-likely big disaster) but mainly after the experience of spending one night in my house with broken plumbing and two small children. After that, I decided I didn't want to be without a backup again!
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Your neighbors are your best disaster prep - 12/31/19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael2
I found this link, The Twin-Bucket Emergency Toilet, to be the most interesting reference in the article.

It's such a simple idea, but I just hadn't thought about it before. Obvious after you read it, but easy to forget about if you haven't.

It says, if you need to set up an emergency "bucket" toilet, set up two, one for pee and one for solid waste. Urine is generally sterile, but takes up a lot more volume over time; it is, however, easier to dispose of. Solid waste is what carries the potentially dangerous pathogens and requires more care.

I got a simple camping toilet (seat, cover, outer holder and inner bucket) a few decades ago and stuck it in the attic. I was partly thinking of the big earthquake (our local most-likely big disaster) but mainly after the experience of spending one night in my house with broken plumbing and two small children. After that, I decided I didn't want to be without a backup again!

Like rafting the Grand Canyon, go pee in the river before heading to the rocket box.

Part two- only one person handles the rocket box for the whole trip, and they don't do any other chores (dishes, water, cook).