What Do I Bring When Bugging Out?

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 05:04 PM

We've discussed first aid. We've discussed tools. Now let's pull it all together. The following are the categories I'm thinking about:

• First aid (we discussed this in another thread).
  • Basic hand tools
  • Box cutter and replacement blades
  • Two flashlights (you can have my D-Cell MAG-LITE when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands).
  • Extra batteries for the flashlights
  • Clothes appropriate for the situation (I don't think we need a lengthy discussion on this).
  • Prescription and OTC medications
  • Lip balm
  • Kleenex
  • Other personal care items including nail care (I don't think we need a lengthy discussion on this either).
  • Water
  • Edibles such as cracker sandwiches and nutritional supplements
  • My sanity
  • Bible
  • Important papers such as I.D. and insurance information

I'm probably overlooking something. What I want to discuss are what I'm not considering.

Note: I've already read "Listening To Katrenia."

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 05:30 PM

Consider adding:
  • Cash
  • A way to charge your cellphone
  • A way to make fire (I’d recommend redundancy here)
  • A way to disinfect water (fire and something to boil water in can be enough)
  • At least one blanket per person
  • A broadcast radio receiver (as a ham radio operator I would instead bring ham radio gear, which can also receive broadcast radio)
  • Duct tape
  • Cordage
  • Writing materials
  • Minor car repair materials (rescue tape, wire, tire plug kit, alumaseal, fuses)

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 05:47 PM

Cash is one of those things I have but don't think about when writing out a list. A reminder is good. The rest is good too.

Regarding fire, I'm wondering if I should buy a PSP.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Herman30

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 06:27 PM

A humoristic sidenote:

Quote:
(you can have my D-Cell MAG-LITE when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands).

grin Would not take it even if you paid me to take it. Totally antiquated old light emitting gizmo.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 07:05 PM

It could be modernized with LED (if it does not already have it). It also is better in the SD department than the more modern single 18650 cell flashlites. I used mine as a priest for good sized catfish with good effect and no damage to the flashlite.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 07:14 PM

The flashlights I'm bringing with me are LED.

http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-2-cell-d-led-flashlight.html
http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight.html

They are both blue so they can be easier to spot in the dark.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: pforeman

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 07:35 PM

Your list is a very good start and I like that you are using it as a 'starting point' as well. I agree with the other comments and would add to it having a "general" lantern type light in addition to the flashlights. I've got a small streamlight siege which is great for area lighting. Here is an example from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44941-Ultra-Compact-Lantern-Battery/dp/B00OW5AK22 Having an inexpensive headlamp can be very helpful too - working in the dark hands free is sometimes necessary.

Having a radio is important to stay aware of developments and conditions - I've got that covered with my ham gear but it's worth considering something for listening if not also talking. Cell service is notorious for going out in extreme situations so, don't count on them except as a stand-alone unconnected device.

tossing in a multi-tool may be worth it too - even a really small one as pliers etc. can be very useful too. Along with the edibles I always include hard candy - lifesavers or whatever as they are quick and easy pick-me-ups.

Paul -

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 07:54 PM

One concern I have is I might forget something or I might not have enough of it. In a bug out situation, going to the store may not be an option.

I wonder if I should get kits from minimus.biz for some peace of mind. The following are what I am considering:

Military Condiment Care Package
Cold & Flu Care Package
Public Restroom Survival Kit
Flu Safety Kit - Sanell

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pforeman
Your list is a very good start and I like that you are using it as a 'starting point' as well. I agree with the other comments and would add to it having a "general" lantern type light in addition to the flashlights. I've got a small streamlight siege which is great for area lighting. Here is an example from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44941-Ultra-Compact-Lantern-Battery/dp/B00OW5AK22 Having an inexpensive headlamp can be very helpful too - working in the dark hands free is sometimes necessary.

Mom has several lanterns similar to what you linked. However, none of us has a headlamp.

A couple of you mentioned a radio. While that's good for weather and general information, I keep up with what's happening through alternative sources. For that, I need access to the Internet which I may not have.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
I used mine as a priest for good sized catfish with good effect and no damage to the flashlite.

Wait, you administer last rites to a catfish?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Jeanette Isabelle

I´m not Max but yes. A good smack to the head of the fish with a hard object is the last rites one usually does.
Posted by: pforeman

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 08:38 PM

As for "communication" look into the Hurricane, wildfire, earthquake and other disasters there have been and their impact - one of the first things to go in any major event is telephone/internet at the local level and is often the last to come back.

Think about 'general' information and where you can get it when the internet is unavailable and cell service is too. The good old standby battery operated radio will still be working. The Conelrad or Civil Defense network was an example of general communication years back and today it is the more general "Emergency Alert System" (google it and check the FEMA website for more).

Point being, having something that will pick up NOAA weather information, local radio stations - all of which will carry EAS bulletins - will give you access to very valuable information that will help you survive and know what's going on.

I saw this 'communications' thing as a serious gap in my planning so I got a ham license and now can use those ham tools along with GMRS FRS and even CB radios to not only listen but to talk back when needed. Yes, I've also got the battery run AM/FM radio too.

Paul -
Posted by: hikermor

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/09/18 09:18 PM

One important consideration is the bug out mode. Are you leaving on foot, via vehicle, or some other means. There is a big difference between what you can carry on your back compared to what you can stuff in your car....

I like to start with my backpack, which contains essentials, not the convenience items some seem to crave. Basically this means water, and equipment such that one can camp, sleep, fix something closely resembling food, and walk some more. Backpacking and hiking experience and gear comes in handy here.

If possible, my backpack, fully loaded and ready for a walk, is thrown in a handy vehicle which is then supplemented with tools, memorabilia, important documents, more water and chow, pets, etc - whatever is personally significant and necessary for the crisis at hand - your behavior will be different if you are contending with a fast approaching fire versus evacuation before the pending arrival of a significant hurricane or similar storm.

Above all, one must be rational and flexible. By their very nature, emergencies are always somewhat unpredictable.

More and more, i tend to include the means to recharge my electronics - anything from power banks to small solar panels to various adapters. I want to keep my phone and lights up and running, especially my headlamp. Sometimes handheld, it is far and away the best source of illumination, in either emergency or non-emergency situations. For that matter, the "phone" is far more than just a phone for most of us.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/10/18 02:11 AM

Some kind of shelter from the rain--raincoat or tarp--and bug repellent, especially in FL.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/10/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
and bug repellent, especially in FL.

I have Ben's 30, Natrapel and AfterBite. I think I have it covered.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/10/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
I used mine as a priest for good sized catfish with good effect and no damage to the flashlite.

Jeanette Isabelle

I see where your confusion might come from.
Herman30 already explained what those last rites are.
In the context of fishing a priest is a blunt force instrument that is used to stun or kill the fish before preparing it for a meal. A good sized catfish might require a solid punch.

When prepared well, catfish is really tasty.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/10/18 08:52 PM

make sure up can pick it up and carry it..no joke.
i went thru the car camping box with the general gear,cooking.lamps,cutting boards,knives,tp,paper towels..you get the idea.
so anyway when I picked it up to stash it away until next spring
I thought it was great that I only had to carry it to the car and
then out to a table in a campground.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/11/18 07:16 AM

FIRST AS TO THE SANCTITY OF THE MAG-LITE: like Jeanette, you will also have to pry mine out of my cold dead hand, It now rests between my car seat and center compartment, upgraded with a Tera-Lux LED and window breaker rear cap.

My 5, C cell version saved my life one early August evening, many years ago. ( Its a shame they discontinued the 5 & 6 , C cell models.) I was a young volunteer EMT, fending off a big 16 year old girl , who had already cut her younger sister to the bone on her right arm. When she reentered the scene, for a second attack, I was bandaging the younger girl. We were both both sitting on the living room couch with a long heavy coffee table in front of us. As older sister charged, screaming , I was caught between them, with no escape and in fear for my patient’s and my life. As I leaned over to avoid the 8” kitchen knife, i backhanded her in the face with my Mag-Lite, breaking her nose and knocking her unconscious. The fact that it was only her nose that got broken and not her skull, was probably due to the fact that I was well leaned-over & off balance trying to avoid the knife. All survived and older sister was arriested by responding police and committed for treatment.

Funny post script: My even younger , brand new, EMT partner, correctly and immediately radioed the Comcen that an attack was in progress. “Ambulance Corps needs help.” But then he added, “SHOTS FIRED!” ( He had no later memory of saying that and denied it until we replayed the tape for him.)

Remember I said it was an early August evening, It was also hot and quiet, emergency wise, in our town and in the neighboring densely packed urban towns. Within one minute the first responding police officer, a friend of mine, ran THROUGH the closed screen door with shotgun in his hands. , racking it as he came to a halt. Within two minutes , there were so many shotguns ( and police ) in that room, you would’ve thought it was duck season!
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/11/18 07:50 AM

Jeanette, you had a good solid start on a list and you’ve received many good suggested additions. Experience tells me to also add a deck playing cards & a pocket chess & checker set. Helps to relive boredom and make friends at a shelter. I also have a small , earbud only am-fm Sony Arrmband radio & extra lithium batteries. Too bad they discontinued them. But, I’m sure you can find a replacement. A good book you wouldn’t mind rereading, e.g.The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. And if they’re not already in your BOB , the Collins Gem version of the SAS Survial Guide and the 4th Ed. of Wilderness & Travel Medicine.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/11/18 01:15 PM

Good idea. I do have a deck of cards for playing Solitare. I also plan to get an iPod; at $200 that is at the bottom of the emergency supplies to buy. Someone already mentioned this: include a pen and notebook.

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
4th Ed. of Wilderness & Travel Medicine.

I have a copy of that book in two of my first aid kits.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/11/18 02:13 PM

LED MagLites are almost unbelievably rugged and reliable and on fresh batteries run for a long time.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/12/18 07:43 PM

A firearm with cleaning tools and ammunition will always be on my list, as will be rain gear, a lightweight pot, a multi tool, and a good belt knife with sharpener (among other things already mentioned)

I would have to pick-up and go in a more remote setting and my gear needs to reflect that. Bugging out still remains an absolute last resort for me though. Most disaster scenarios will have me trying to get to work to deploy with my unit (worst case) or just getting a hotel quickly as I need to temporarily leave my house (fires, floods etc)

I have more of a bug out plan than a dedicated bug out bag these days. That’s largely due to where I live. No earthquakes or tsunamis round these parts.

My “screw around in the woods”/hunting/hiking/kayaking/camping gear is within easy reach and well maintained. It wouldn’t take me long to put something together if I had to.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/12/18 10:13 PM

An alternative method:
1) start with what you would pack in an overnight bag for a weekend away
2) and anything unique to you; meds, tools, (think glasses) ( also your pets)
3) add food & other consumables (batteries,TP & water)
4) seasonably and region appropriate clothing
5) Paperwork (usually contained in your wallet) plus scrips, ids etc.**
6) Electronics (tablet, radio, etc)
7) comfort items

**include paper copies of things like phone numbers,etc

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/12/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
7) comfort items

That is one of the things I'm working on, making my "comfort item" as small and lightweight as possible.

I have since worked on reducing the weight and thickness; at the last time I weighed my life's story in the form of two paper folders, it was 11 5/8" x 9 1/2" x 3/8" and weighs 15 1/2 oz.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 01:16 AM

Yes, comfort items - (we call it snivel kit in the Army)

If I ever do leave my house in an emergency thinking I will never return I will damn well be bringing a few bottles of my top shelf scotch. Lol. I don’t care what it weighs and what I have to leave behind. That which I can’t carry will thus be consumed before I set forth. As a result I may only make it to the end of my driveway after the apocalypse hits.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 01:57 AM

I don't drink. Therefore, I can't make a determination, for or against, on the practicality of consuming scotch before bugging out.

I will, however, attempt to convey the importance of going beyond your driveway when bugging out.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 02:08 AM

I don't drink.....

WHAT ON EARTH!!!

You’re probably right about the whole driveway thing though. I prep and plan, same as most of you but if the ballon ever does go up I’ll likely end up running down the street in my underwear with a backpack full of scotch and a fire steel waiving a glow stick around over my head singing something by CCR as it Will most likely occur whilst I’m under the influence.

Meh....

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I don't drink.....

WHAT ON EARTH!!!

I'm one-quarter French and yet I don't drink wine.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Yes, comfort items - (we call it snivel kit in the Army)

If I ever do leave my house in an emergency thinking I will never return I will damn well be bringing a few bottles of my top shelf scotch. Lol. I don’t care what it weighs and what I have to leave behind. That which I can’t carry will thus be consumed before I set forth. As a result I may only make it to the end of my driveway after the apocalypse hits.

I’m trying to imagine what would happen if I consumed, let’s say two bottles of liquor that we couldn’t find room for in a “we’re never coming home” scenario. Let’s just say that if the apocalypse held off until I regained consciousness, I’d be devoutly hoping that it would come shortly thereafter.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 04:02 AM

Now I know this is just light hearted internet repartee, but I do have to protest. If you are bugging out,engaged in any kink of emergency outdoors, or operating beyond the end of your driveway in an outdoors environment, leave the booze alone....

I have hauled out way too many seriously injured, as well as dead, individuals doing SAR that I personally stopped drinking entirely for several years (I now consume about 2 oz of wine at dinnertime on occasion).

It's way too easy to get into outdoors trouble with booze in the outdoors. Alcohol was at least a contributing factor in the majority of the operations we performed over several years.

On the other hand, a high proof whiskey, or Everclear, makes an acceptable stove fuel or fire accelerant.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

On the other hand, a high proof whiskey, or Everclear, makes an acceptable stove fuel or fire accelerant.

My last purchase was a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 year winter storm. The day I would use this for stove fuel, fire starter or even wound disinfectant will be a grim day indeed. It had better be the apocalypse if I find myself in this situation. Even then Satan and all 4 or the horsemen will have to hold me at gunpoint. laugh

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 06:10 AM

I also plan to get an iPod; at $200

Surely there are other brands that are cheaper.
I myself do not buy anything related to the Applefamily, it¨s too much of a religion to my liking. And too expensive. Other brands are cheaper.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 05:22 PM

I've been talking about a permanent bugout when the brimstone hits the fan here in America. What I have not mentioned is where I plan to go out of fear of violating this forum's rule on religious discussions.

I think I can say this much without violating any rules: There has been a lot of discussions in prophetic circles on the subject of Christians and Jews fleeing to Israel when (or before) the brimstone hits the fan in America.

That presents a new set of challenges. We don't know anyone there (besides others who are moving to Israel). If we fly, we are constrained by what we can bring with us. We can carry more if traveling by ship.

There is also the possibility that we can't get to Isreal. If that is the case, the three options I see are sheltering in place until we die, bugging out to another location in America until we die or join the small percentage that survives.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 06:53 PM

Well now, end of the world is something there is nothing one can do to prepare for. Well perhaps some excellent alcohol. Go meet your maker with the taste of a good cognac on your palet.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 07:21 PM

If we do end up in Israel, we will have a reason to prepare.

Even if we don't, it is still best to do everything to prepare. Why? If I have a sayso in the matter, I don't want to die of sickness or starvation.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Well now, end of the world is something there is nothing one can do to prepare for. Well perhaps some excellent alcohol. Go meet your maker with the taste of a good cognac on your palet.

Lol. This guy gets it.

I used to lie awake worrying about that stuff when I was younger. I like to think I have more of a handle on that now that I’m 40 and a lot more mature. There’s so much out of our control in this life you are simply wasting precious time if you let it bother you. Survival prep for me is interesting because I spend a lot of time outdoors (plus my job demands a certain level of it). I could easily get lost in the woods (again) or fall thru the ice (again) or tip my kayak in a remote area and have to spend a few nights surviving (hasn’t happened yet, knock on wood) and lord knows being Army and constantly deploying to foreign countries has put me in some interesting situations, but I no longer worry about the complete end of the world.

If it happens it happens.

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 11:33 PM

Worry? That depends. If we are in Israel when the brimstone hits the fan, things will be good (for us).

In either case, it is good to be prudent.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 11:41 PM

Worry? That depends. If we are in Israel when the brimstone hits the fan, things will be good (for us)

Not sure I follow you. How so? And what us?

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/13/18 11:51 PM

We will have to take it in private since answering those questions violate forum rules.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 12/14/18 12:35 AM

I'll confess I've never been in a bad situation that could have been improved by a bottle of Scotch. Except once in my youth, when I ran out of Scotch.

Now I don't drink though, quit years ago.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 01/09/19 05:01 PM

[/quote] I used to lie awake worrying about that stuff when I was younger. I like to think I have more of a handle on that now that I’m 40 and a lot more mature. There’s so much out of our control in this life you are simply wasting precious time if you let it bother you. [/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

With age, I have come to understand that it is impossible to prepare for everything and anything. Whether prepping for natural disaster, self-defense, civil disorder, or a lost in the woods survival situation, an honest assessment of a persons own vulnerabilities and capabilities is essential. Some of the considerations will be regional, based on weather and terrain, and some universal. Here's my short list:

1. Home invasion
2. Blizzard/wind
3. Extended power outage
4. Long term city water/gas delivery issues

Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? - 01/09/19 08:53 PM

Based on the historical record, i am primarily concerned with fires and earthquakes, facts of life in California. EQs, fortunately not an everyday occurrence, could be a big disrupter, messing up infrastructure and transportation and life in general for a significant period. Staying put is probably the best option, most of the time

Fires are relatively easy - grab your stuff and go. Of course, fires often occur in the aftermath of big quakes -???

You can't predict the future with any degree of certainty. I find a lot of the notions presented here on ETS very helpful and sensible in preparing to face the unknown.