Quake Swarm in California

Posted by: Russ

Quake Swarm in California - 11/15/17 03:42 AM

San Andreas 'Quake Swarm' Has Cali Residents Fearing The 'Big One' Is Imminent

Could be tomorrow or it could be in 10 years, but if you live in CA anywhere near the SAF, it’s a good time to have your camping plans ready.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/15/17 04:21 AM

Yeah, being prepared is always a good idea, and the Big One will come eventually. It's only a matter of when.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/15/17 04:39 PM

Be prepared for earthquakes, wherever you live in California, or anywhere in the USA for that matter (well, nearly anywhere - I believe Wisconsin and Iowa are the only two states that have not experienced quakes). The excitement builds as you realize that a quake can strike at any moment. Maybe this swarm is a precursor event, maybe not. We can't tell until the dust settles.

So, yes, keep the camping gear at the ready....If you are ready for an EQ, you are prepped for a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

Posted by: Ratch

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/19/17 04:51 PM

An excellent read is The Great Quake by Henry Fountain, about the 1960s quake in Alaska that led a young field geologist to understand the workings of plate techtonics. It's an excellent read with many first person accounts of how a quake and tsunami impacted and killed people, and how many coped to survive. Excellent survival stories, coupled with the solving of a geological mystery by a very practical field geologist.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/20/17 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Ratch
An excellent read is The Great Quake by Henry Fountain, about the 1960s quake in Alaska that led a young field geologist to understand the workings of plate techtonics. ........
Yes, a very good read.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/20/17 07:18 PM

I send good vibes, always, but my mom and brother flew to Bakersfield today to spend Thanksgiving with his in-laws. Earthquakes, and these swarms in particular, have suddenly rocketed up my awareness list. Of course, bacpacgirl has chosen "San Andreas" as her new favourite movie this week. Shiver!
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/20/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I send good vibes, always, .....

In earthquake country, “good vibes” means no vibes! 🙂
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Quake Swarm in California - 11/21/17 12:02 AM

http://temblor.net/earthquake-insights/san-andreas-fault-on-ice-5599/

Just ran across this piece on a "no vibes" section of the SA.