It’s Hurricane Nate Time!

Posted by: wildman800

It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/06/17 02:55 AM

I got on the boat this morning and set HurCon 3. We’re in Houston and should start feeling some wind and rain about Saturday noontime. I don’t expect to see much of a storm here but we will assume HurCon 2 in the morning.
Posted by: Pete

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/06/17 09:30 PM

Holy cow man ... I just don't believe this.

I was getting "laid back" about checking the hurricane maps. I knew there was a storm called Nate. But I wasn't really giving any thought to it. I thought it would probably go over Mexico.

After your comment ... I went and checked the predicted path.
You are right Wildman ... it's headed directly in your direction.

Just unbelievable man.

I hope that you're not on the coast of LA near Mississippi. This storm looks like its headed directly towards New Orleans.

BTW, they are saying a Cat-1 Hurricane when it reaches the coast on Saturday. But every storm this season, esp. including Harvey, picked up tremendous strength over the waters in the Gulf. Therefore, I would not be surprised if Nate comes ashore as a Cat-2 Hurricane.

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/07/17 02:24 PM

At least Hurricane Nate is leaving most os south Texas alone!

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/07/17 03:16 PM

Yes, its coming in a different direction.
Looks like the storm will be a Cat-2 hurricane when it arrives on the LA coast. That's what NHC is saying. I expect the residents there will be prepared - they have seen this before.

Looking at updated weather maps posted by readers at Wunderground - Nate is moving very fast. Therefore, this hurricane could pile up the storm surge. If it continues north, New Orleans will miss the worst of the wind. But people in low-lying areas should be prepared for flooding. Not good news for Mom-and-Pop stores and restaurants on the Bay - located by the water. And this is not a good time to leave your car parked in a low-lying place near the bay.

Good news though - it's moving so fast that it will just sweep right through the impacted states.

UPDATE: Nate now confirmed as a Cat-1 Hurricane as it makes landfall. Cities seem well prepared for the event.
Posted by: Russ

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/09/17 12:21 PM

I see that Nate is up in Ohio already — that was fast. How did the Gulf Coast fare?

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/09/17 12:50 PM

From what I’ve seen from private broadcasts, light damages overall.

Re: It’s Hurricane Nate Time! - 10/09/17 10:58 PM

it's a good thing ... the country is suffering from "disaster exhaustion" right now. I don't think anyone wants to hear about any more large-scale disasters ... for quite a while :-)