Shaken,not stirred

Posted by: hikermor

Shaken,not stirred - 03/27/17 10:23 PM

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/s...5133&et_cid

An absorbing article about the possibility of interacting faults leading to bigger earthquakes albeit with the probability of "lesser" magnitude six events. Worth reading.....especially those of us along the West Coast.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Shaken,not stirred - 04/03/17 02:28 PM

Hikermor ... thanks for posting. very interesting info. See the Wikipedia article about the 2016 quake in Kaikoura, New Zealand.

Personally, i think the calculations of quake probabilities are wrong ... on the low side. I would estimate that the chances for a major quake in the LA region in the next 5-10 years are 75%. And for the San Andreas, 95% in the next 25-30 years.

Geologists cant measure the energy stored in the Earth, before a quake happens. I think that is the missing factor. This is not a criticism of the scientists ... people cant measure what they cant see.

Pete

Re: Shaken,not stirred - 04/03/17 06:05 PM

Surely earthquake prediction is one of the murkiest areas of inquiry. Your estimate is as good as mine.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Shaken,not stirred - 04/03/17 06:18 PM

Considering that it's locked, the Cascadia Subduction Zone may be next and it may be big enough to trigger its California cousin to go too.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Shaken,not stirred - 04/03/17 06:47 PM

Russ

I agree with you completely.
Its very possible that the Cascadia quake will happen first. And also possible that the Cascadia event will trigger an event on the San Andreas. Or at least, the two quakes will be in a short-time period. Within 30 years.

One thing is certain.
Complacency in So. Cal residents has reached astronomical proportions :-)

Re: Shaken,not stirred - 04/03/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete

One thing is certain.
Complacency in So. Cal residents has reached astronomical proportions :-)

Why do you say that? I am sure that many folks are unaware, but I don't know that the average is any higher than it has been....There are some signs to the contrary..

At least Russ and I are among the non-complacent, I think.