Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation

Posted by: bws48

Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation - 11/14/16 05:38 PM

Although this is from a humor site, there is nothing humorous about it; first person accounts from the evacuation. One comment "It took almost an hour to get from my street to the main road out, a total distance of 500 feet."

The article:
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experien...c-disaster.html
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation - 11/14/16 07:27 PM

A very worthwhile article- even more interesting to me was the companion article written by a survivor of the recent Haiti earthquake. Living in southern California, the two probable disasters I plan for are wildfire from a nearby hillside, and earthquakes.

It seems to me that if one is going to evacuate because of fire (or other reason), leave early and avoid the rush. In an earthquake, be lucky and do not spend time in the building that will be destroyed.Don't run wildly outside- Duck and Cover!

Sad to read about the lawlessness - there are creeps everywhere, unfortunately.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation - 11/25/16 12:15 PM

Last word on the Fort McMurray fire:

it's an ill wind....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/n...a-fort-mcmurray

qjs
Posted by: Russ

Re: Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation - 11/25/16 01:29 PM

Awesome, but Helluva price to pay for a unique Whisky. I'd love to try it but the odds of finding a bottle of that rare (200 bottles) Whisky in SOCAL are nil.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Report on the Fort McMurray Evacuation - 11/26/16 04:15 AM

"Aftermath is worse than the disaster" department:

- Fort McMurray wildfire caused loss of 8.5 million hours of work over two months

- Permits to demolish and rebuild: something like 10% of the total needed have been issued so far; it's an insanely complicated job to rebuild (that's a scuttlebutt number, so take it for what it's worth)

Add a dash of bitters to that whisky.