South Louisiana Flooding Checking In

Posted by: wildman800

South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/13/16 06:00 PM

We are high and dry! My DD2 is waiting to be evacuated. The extended family are having to build dams across their doorways. The rains are finally slacking up and the water levels are starting to fall.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/13/16 06:55 PM

Glad you are alright. My thoughts with you and yours.

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/13/16 07:43 PM

Thank you. Everybody else needs prayers also.

My DD2, hubby, & DBGirl (my granddaughter) had 2" & rising of water when the fire dept evacuated them. Our EMS and Police have proven what true hero's they truly are.

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/13/16 08:22 PM

The local media and parish authorities are reminding everyone that snakes & alligators are moving around and are dangerous. The Cajuns will kill them all and eat the alligators, tan their hides and sell them after the water goes down. This is being called a 100 year flood.

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/13/16 09:03 PM

Anybody else stuck in this storm?

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/14/16 11:33 PM

We cleared the water out of DD2's house and threw a couple of rug backing pads away. We brought all the laundry that we created drying and cleaning up, home to have ready for tomorrow morning. They were vere very fortunate, thank you Lord, in that they had tile & 1 hardwood floor.

We watched the coulee by their home drop 3" in an hour and a half. The water is flowing at 3-4kts.if we can make it through tonight without any heavy rains, then there will be capacity to witstand another round of moderate rainfall.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/15/16 02:25 AM

That much rain, that fast, would turn anyplace into a lake.

Curiously, this real story was buried under the lazy op-ed election fluff and commentary. Usually we get better international coverage up here.

Glad you and yours are faring well.

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/16/16 01:43 AM

We tore out all the baseboards today. A contractor comes tomorrow and will start the rest of the ripping out and replacing of walls, baseboards, and 3 hardwood floors.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/17/16 06:50 AM

I'm glad to see you're through the worst of it, Wildman!

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/19/16 01:15 AM

Copied over from the Survival Forum:

I was happy to see that DD2 & her hubby are still maintaining their preps. They didn't use the equipment because circumstances made them go across town, not leave town.

2 towns, Lake Arthur & Gueydan, have been completely evacuated, as of now.

I am going to have an interesting time going back to work in Houston, as I-10 and many other highways have been closed due to flooding. I'll check routes Saturday through the La State Police to determine which highways are open since I'll be leaving Sunday.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/29/16 06:30 PM

Thought about you guys this weekend, Wildman, while on a road trip with the family. I hope you're all safe and sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX94MpG7EFw

Re: South Louisiana Flooding Checking In - 08/30/16 12:22 AM

We're all good! DD2's family is in an apt while their home is being dried out and repaired. My SiL's parents are taking care of their cat and we have shared custody of their dog. The In-Laws have the dog for 1 week and then we get her for 1 week.