Ebola - media & society

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Ebola - media & society - 10/15/14 06:10 PM

Articles pulled from the news and other sources and fact-checked by Equipped.org members by identifying and linking the source of the information in the article. Related to the media coverage of the outbreak and how organizations, institutions and individuals are responding.
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/15/14 07:20 PM

Ebola Conference at John Hopkins via C-Span 10/14/14:

Panel One:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?322092-1/discussion-ebola-outbreak

Panel Two:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?322092-2/ebola-epidemic-western-africa-panel-two

Panel Three:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?322092-3/ebola-epidemic-western-africa-panel-three

An excellent overview of the situation in West Africa, for those who have time to watch or listen to it. Three panels discuss the ongoing socio-economic impact, as well as current vaccine developments, protocols, etc. A good window into how all the governments and organizations are attempting to coordinate to get a handle on the epidemic.

--M
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/15/14 09:35 PM

A good article about Ebola, media, and society in the WaPo:
In Ebola fear, a familiar whiff of paranoia
Quote:
There have been only three confirmed cases (and one death) of Ebola in the United States, but a related condition is spreading faster than a California wildfire. Americans nationwide are showing signs of an epidemic of fear, all too reminiscent of the stigmatization, dread of contagion, and moral panic of the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
---------------snip-----------------
Early on in the AIDS epidemic, this kind of anxiety quickly morphed into panic: HIV-infected kids such as Ryan White were banned from schools; employees were fired simply because they were suspected of having AIDS; Washington, D.C., police officers raided a gay bar wearing gloves, face masks and bulletproof vests to protect themselves from what was described then as a “lethal threat.”

Underscoring these latest fears, the term “Fearbola” has quickly made its way into the lexicon, thanks largely to comic Seth Myers, whose segment on “the irrational fear of catching Ebola” went viral last week. Explained a fake doctor in the segment: “It is very easy to contract. Just five minutes of exposure to CNN or Fox News and you might have Fearbola.”
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/15/14 10:16 PM

Quote:
In Ebola fear, a familiar whiff of paranoia

A justified fear, IMHO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/how-ebola-spreads/

Once the influenza season starts the rate of Ebola infection rate will probably progress at a much accelerated rate.

Secondary economic effects of social collapse are still probably 6-9 months away. (which may be more of a problem in the short to medium term outlook)

Posted by: Arney

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/15/14 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
A good article about Ebola, media, and society in the WaPo

It's interesting that the writer compares the Ebola experience to the early days of HIV/AIDS. "Striking parallels," he says. I say it's interesting because as a blood-borne disease, HIV is even harder to spread than Ebola, and yet it eventually turned into a pandemic and global scourge that has haunted (hunted?) all of us for the past 35 years. Even HIV/AIDS started small. I'm not making any predictions about Ebola, but it's hubris to say with certainty that Ebola will not be a big problem in the US. Maybe not this particular outbreak, but who knows, down the line?

That said, there were definitely mistakes and regrets back then, and we're repeating many of them now, and that's not a good thing.
Posted by: darin

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/16/14 10:47 PM

on the plus side ebola will kill most of its victims within 30 to 40 days allowing it to eventually burn out. where as a hiv victim may not even know he is infected for yrs while spreading it to a wider group.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/16/14 10:52 PM

For those of us following this issue, I think it's important to hear from all sides, including Thomas Eric Duncan's. Obviously, he's no longer on this earth to defend himself, but in his place, his nephew, Josephus Weeks, has published an op-ed about his uncle.

One unexpected thing in the op-ed is the revelation that the story of Mr Duncan helping take his landlord's pregnant and Ebola-stricken daughter to the hospital back in Liberia is not true. It never happened. None of us can verify that, but even from the beginning, I was saying that the story--as was popularly being told--just didn't make sense in the context of his imminent flight to America to marry his fiancé and then allowing himself to be sent home from the ER the first time.

The Dallas Morning News apparently took a lot of heat for publishing that piece, and they respond here. This outbreak is about real people, not just bureaucrats, politicians, and talking heads on TV or online, so it's good to hear from people directly impacted.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/16/14 11:21 PM

A statement from the nurses union:

http://www.nationalnursesunited.org/blog...ospital-in-dal/

"In summary, the nurses state there have been no policies in cleaning or bleaching the premises without housekeeping services. There was no one to pick up hazardous waste as it piled to the ceiling. They did not have access to proper supplies and observed the Infectious Disease Department and CDC themselves violate basic principles of infection control, including cross contaminating between patients. In the end, the nurses strongly feel unsupported, unprepared, lied to, and deserted to handle the situation on their own."

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/17/14 01:50 AM

Ebola and CDC recommendations for public transport. eek

Quote:
CDC: You Can Give—But Can’t Get—Ebola on a Bus

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/brittany-m-hughes/cdc-you-can-give-can-t-get-ebola-bus

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/19/14 05:44 PM

I thought this Washington Post piece was particularly interesting. It's main aim is to calm people's fear about Ebola and I think it does a good job at it.

Quote:
Sunday marks 21 days since Thomas Eric Duncan, who contracted Ebola in Liberia and then flew to the United States, was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas. Officials have been monitoring 48 people potentially exposed to Duncan prior to his hospitalization, his fiancee among them. The incubation period of Ebola, from infection to symptoms, is generally considered to be between two and 21 days. So far, none of these people has shown signs of Ebola disease.

So, it seems we're just about out of the woods regarding secondary infection from patient zero--Thomas Eric Duncan. No one exposed to Duncan prior to hospital admission has come down with Ebola. Another circle of people exposed to nurses Pham and Vinson may be at risk, but the risk seems very low.

Once we reach three weeks from Pham and Vinson being diagnosed and if there are no more cases connected to them, then that would reinforce the idea that the primary risk is from exposure to seriously ill people, people who are too sick to be out and about in public anyway. Duncan was pretty sick at home--already starting to vomit--yet none of those people have come down with Ebola.

Anyway, it is a particularly far ranging article and touches on a lot of different issues regarding the disease, which made it interesting to me. For example, it actually mentions that fever may not be present in some cases or may appear late. That's interesting in the academic sense, but I haven't seen any evidence that it has made any difference in the real world so far.
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/20/14 12:56 AM

Take this with a huge grain of salt..since it IS network TV.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Plane...-279336982.html

Was down in FtL today and my niece fwd'd it to me...I was reluctant to even post it but it's easy to see how quickly this could spread if someone wanted to intentally do so.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/20/14 05:29 AM

There is more good news, the nurse in Spain who caught ebola appears to be recovering:
Spanish nurse who contracted Ebola may be clear of the disease
Quote:
Teresa Romero Ramos, 44, has tested negative for Ebola for the first time since being hospitalised nearly two weeks ago, Spain’s special committee on Ebola said in a statement. The results suggest that she is now clear of all traces of the virus, but authorities noted she would be tested again in the coming hours to confirm the result.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/20/14 05:16 PM

Well, now that those initial 48 people are in the clear now, I see headlines and articles basically saying, "Now that the nightmare is over..." but we'll see if it's true that the nightmare is over. It sounds like people like Louise Troh are still being stigmatized, and she had a new apartment she put a deposit down on fall through. How many of those 48 basically lost their jobs because they had to be in isolation for three weeks? Can they get new jobs? Do their friends and coworkers shun them? I would really like to see some follow-up coverage on that issue because it would really serve as a teachable moment.

You would think us "educated" Westerners would be more enlightened than those people who stigmatize people who recover from Ebola in Third World countries but to me, that is still an open question. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about American patients who refuse to be treated by Nina Pham or Amber Vinson a year from now, just because of the stigma and how connected their names have become with this outbreak.

I can't recall much or any stigma surrounding the H1N1 outbreak. Is that because it's the flu? Something familiar that "everyone" gets at one time or another, even though so many people were deathly afraid of catching H1N1?

Edit: I admit that we don't know if the future landlord rescinded the offer of a new apartment because of the fear of Ebola (and would most likely never admit to it even if true), so I readily admit that I am making an assumption here. But some of the scare stories from around the country regarding the way that potential contacts have been treated so far are pretty outrageous so I doubt that the action was not Ebola-related.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/20/14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
For those of us following this issue, I think it's important to hear from all sides, including Thomas Eric Duncan's. Obviously, he's no longer on this earth to defend himself, but in his place, his nephew, Josephus Weeks, has published an op-ed about his uncle.

Statement from Amber Vinson's family: "Family of nurse sick with ebola: 'in no way was Amber careless'"

It seems like there is some media panic to blame the victims and attribute to them enormous selfishness and carelessness. That's hard for me to believe, though we saw that in a tuberculosis patient some years ago. What worries me more than any individual patient is a healthcare system that seems to turn away people who tell them they might have ebola. "Nah, you're fine. Go home and sleep it off." Or "just get on the plane and stop calling with your temperature."
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/20/14 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Articles pulled from the news and other sources and fact-checked by Equipped.org members by identifying and linking the source of the information in the article. Related to the media coverage of the outbreak and how organizations, institutions and individuals are responding.

Looks like the NIH is responding by stockpiling -- Feds stockpile protective gear in expectation of emergency event/
Quote:
..The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is looking to stockpile a year’s worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) in order to prepare for an expected disruption to the supply chain due to an “emergency” event. ...

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/21/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Looks like the NIH is responding by stockpiling...

I was reading the notice on FedBizOps.gov website. Does not seem unusual or alarming to me. Not like reading about the Social Security Administration soliciting bids for 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig hollow point ammo. The NIH notice is just asking for feedback about vendors that may be capable of filling such a contract, but is not an actual solicitation for bids to purchase the equipment.

The NIH supports a huge animal research infrastructure and lots of people who need to be properly equipped to do their jobs. Some of the protective equipment degrades, so it has to be purchased periodically on an ongoing basis. Events like the domestic Ebola scare can dry up supplies and the NIH is worried that they could run out while waiting for manufacturers to catch up. And the protective equipment specified sounds pretty run of the mill. Nothing like hazmat suits and respirators. To me, sounds like a prudent thing to line up a guaranteed flow of supplies for a year (if Ebola rages that long) with an option for additional years if it later seems like it will be necessary.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/21/14 05:28 AM

Stockpiling PPE...

Does not seem unusual or alarming to me. Not like reading about the Social Security Administration soliciting bids for 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig hollow point ammo.

It's alarming to me because... shouldn't they ALREADY have this stuff??? I saw that huge government warehouse in Indiana Jones. Don't they have a whole lot of PPE in there?

As for the ammo, that's enough for giving around 100 people a week-long firearms course. I'm sure SSA employs more than 100 guards.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/23/14 08:05 PM

Ebola toys!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-plush-toys-for-kids-selling-like-hot-cakes/

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/23/14 10:51 PM

This article says that Ebola has reached another West African country, Mali.

Quote:
Health Minister Ousmane Kone made the announcement on Malian television, saying that the patient was a 2-year-old girl who had come from neighboring Guinea, where the Ebola epidemic began last December.

I have read here that the Africa Union has pledged to send 1,000 trained health workers to affected countries. Pledges are one thing. We'll see if the AU can actually recruit 1,000 healthcare workers to go.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/23/14 11:19 PM

I was surprised to read in this article that so many hospital beds in Liberia's capital go unused. Apparently, it is because people are afraid of dying and being cremated instead of buried. The article says half the 742 beds are empty. I'm surprised because I keep reading about sick people who are turned away from hospitals and clinics because they are no beds.

So there are some major cultural issues to work through beyond just building and staffing more Ebola treatment units. And if people are kept at home in secret, then isolation, contact tracing, and safe burial are put at risk.

Quote:
Cremation violates Liberians' values and cultural practices and the order has so disturbed people in the west African nation that the sick are often kept at home and, if they die, are secretly buried, increasing the risk of more infections...The order came after people in neighborhoods of the capital resisted burials of hundreds of Ebola victims near their homes.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/24/14 04:43 AM

Africans see death in a personal way. and they believe that the dead must be honored and buried in a PROPER way. they are horrified that the bodies of ebola patients are being cremated like garbage. as a result, many families in W. Africa are simply burying their dead in their own backyards. nobody is going to the hospital.

in addition, let me speak about rural African clinics. Ive seen my share close up. you wouldn't take your DOG to be treated at most of these places. medicines are often NOT there at all. "Care" consists of sitting on a dirty bed with no linen. and then going home again. so the truth is ... whether a patient has the common cold or ebola - they don't get much care. the so-called clinic is just a place to die. a graveyard. that is why people dont go.

the casualty figures for ebola that are reported from W. Africa are lowball estimates ... probably by a factor of 2-3. for the reasons I just told you.

Pete

Re: Ebola - media & society - 10/24/14 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete
the casualty figures for ebola that are reported from W. Africa are lowball estimates ... probably by a factor of 2-3.

Yeah, a lot of cases and deaths are not being recorded for a variety of reasons.

"Official WHO Ebola toll near 5,000 with true number nearer 15,000"

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/05/14 04:08 PM

Been reading various references lately about the press unofficially agreeing to stop reporting on suspected Ebola cases, just confirmed ones, so Ebola news has really dropped off. The midterm elections probably also plays a role.

On the one hand, it's good not to overhype the risk over here, but at the same time, West Africa still needs the spotlight on their outbreak.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/05/14 08:53 PM

Been reading various references lately about the press unofficially agreeing to stop reporting on suspected Ebola cases, just confirmed ones,

IMO, this is a good thing; it is better to stop or downplay the number of "suspected" or "potential" cases. This is one of those times when you want to have lots of "its not Ebola" results from "potential" cases. Less likely you will miss the real one. Lots of negative (not Ebola) results means we are being alert and doing the right thing.

We have already seen what can happen if just one person who should have be hospitalized is sent home inappropriately.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/07/14 09:27 PM

Experience to date in the US seems to indicate that the CDC and MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has been right all along. You are highly unlikely to get Ebola from someone who is in the early, pre-symptomatic stages of infection. So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease. Even those who lived in the same apartment with him when he was starting to get sick have not become infected.

Dallas Celebrates as Ebola Monitoring Nears an End
Quote:
DALLAS — This city, the first to grapple with Ebola in the United States and the near panic and quarantines the spread of the virus set off, put its Ebola fears behind on Friday. The last person being monitored for symptoms of the disease was expected to be cleared by officials later in the day.

That person — a hospital worker who handled medical waste on Oct. 17 — was part of the final group of people undergoing twice-daily checks in the Dallas region for 21 days, the longest-known incubation period for the disease. The 16 people were all health care workers who had possible contact either with two nurses infected with Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, with their blood, body fluids or specimens, or with potentially contaminated surfaces or medical waste.

Fifteen of the 16 people were cleared Thursday night, and the last person was scheduled to be cleared about 5 p.m. Friday, after the second and final temperature check of the day to make sure there is no fever. More than 40 other people who had direct or indirect contact with the original Ebola patient in Dallas, Thomas Eric Duncan, 42, were taken off the monitoring list in late October. Mr. Duncan was found to have Ebola after traveling to Dallas from Liberia in September. He died on Oct. 8.

A total of 177 people were monitored in the Dallas region, with only three cases of Ebola confirmed, in Mr. Duncan and in two nurses who treated him, Nina Pham and Amber Joy Vinson. Both nurses have recovered and were declared Ebola-free. About 200 passengers who flew on one of two flights Ms. Vinson took between Dallas and Cleveland before she was given the Ebola diagnosis also underwent monitoring. All have been cleared by state officials.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/07/14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Experience to date in the US seems to indicate that the CDC and MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has been right all along. You are highly unlikely to get Ebola from someone who is in the early, pre-symptomatic stages of infection. So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease. Even those who lived in the same apartment with him when he was starting to get sick have not become infected.

This is very good news indeed.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/07/14 11:24 PM

Quote:

So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease.

Or perhaps;

'So far the only people who have been infected with ebola that are known off publically, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease.'

I have heard that suspected ebola patients in the USA are being whisked away in th dead of night not to been seen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOp2gF13-pA
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/07/14 11:46 PM

And I have heard that suspected Ebola cases are teleported to Scotland and fed to the Loch Ness monster on every full moon.

It would help a lot to cite credible sources, not conspiracy wingnuts.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/08/14 12:32 AM

Quote:
And I have heard that suspected Ebola cases are teleported to Scotland and fed to the Loch Ness monster on every full moon.

That information would have been D-noticed in the UK. wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DA-Notice

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/08/14 06:24 PM

Last week, I started seeing the first articles saying that the outbreak seemed to be slowing in Liberia. That surprised me since Liberia seemed to be where the disease was raging the most, and Liberia seemed the most disorganized in its response.

Thinking it was some sort of problem with data collection, I waited, but now even MSF is confirming that the pace of infection has slowed, so it appears to be a legitimate slowdown.

I posted before about how simply observing empty beds in Ebola treatment units can be misleading because there are many Africans who are scared of going to the ETU's, and that theme is repeated in this new article, but the fact that MSF also reports that the number of burials also seems to be down has convinced me that there is really a slowdown.

However, whether that's a temporarly lull or whether the peak of this outbreak in Liberia is passed is still anyone's guess. Guinea has already gone through a couple of lulls, only to have the disease roar back. The situation is still bad in Sierra Leone, too.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/13/14 03:12 PM

Liberia's president will not seek to extend the state of emergency declared in August in response to Ebola as conditions improve there, although a nighttime curfew will remain in effect.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/14/14 06:51 PM

The freelance journalist/cameraman who was working with NBC and Dr Nancy Snyderman, Ashoka Mukpo, published a short essay about his experience and recovery from Ebola. It's a Wall Street Journal article and may not be viewable freely for long, but I was able to read it through Google News.

"I Got Ebola and Survived"
http://online.wsj.com/articles/i-got-ebola-and-survived-1415894355

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/15/14 07:49 PM

Arney,
Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/16/14 12:08 AM

An interesting article about Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) aka Doctors Without Borders. It covers their involvement at the pointy end of the spear in the current Ebola outbreak as well as some organizational history.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/17/14 05:27 AM

This is a first person account of Dr. Ada Igonoh's experience with Ebola. She attended to Patrick Sawyer, the first Ebola patient in Nigeria who had flown in from Liberia and subsequently come down with Ebola herself. It's an inspiring read. Her faith and her determination to be a survivor are a testament to her strength of character.

Earlier today, I had posted an article about the importance of staying hydrated to give the body the chance to fight the virus, and Dr Igonoh's account also mentions numerous times her determination to drink and drink to stay hydrated. And survive, she did.

Re: Ebola - media & society - 11/20/14 05:50 PM

I had been wondering about how the relatively large contingent of Cuban health workers had been doing, most of them working in Sierra Leone. The first Cuban healthcare worker has contracted Ebola, a doctor, and was transported to a special ward in Geneva, Switzerland, where he is stable and his fever has come down.

It's not clear at what stage his disease is in, and whether he is "over the hump" already or whether worse is yet to come.

I've got to hand it to these folks, these Cuban workers volunteer for six month tours of direct patient care which exposes them to many chances to be infected over such a long assignment. Compare that to the typical 4 week assignments of MSF volunteers (and I think that 4 weeks also includes time spent training, too). And they volunteered back before most Western Ebola patients were recovering from the disease, so at that time, they probably considered the possibility of contracting Ebola to be almost a death sentence.