Paracord Bracelets

Posted by: Deathwind

Paracord Bracelets - 08/21/14 10:45 PM

Yeah they're all the rage. But finding one to fit my wrist, or the little woman's slender wrist just didn't seem worth the effort.
Until now.
I've found a buckle which not only has a whistle, but a small ferro rod and scraper built in.
Does anyone know anything about braiding these bracelets? Such as a website called braiding for dummies with big clumsy hands? And can additional supplies be concealed in the braiding?
Thanks.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/22/14 12:39 AM

I have placed those buckles in various locations on my packs where they will be handy if and when I need them. I just don't get paracord bracelets; I consider them to be more of a hazard than a help.

When doing significant climbing, I will remove my wedding ring, usually putting on my key chain or some other safe place because I don't want a deglovement injury if the ring gets snagged on a rock. I could see the same or a similar problem with a nice strong paracord bracelet.

I like to keep pcord and other cordage handy, usually just stuffed in a zip lock baggie. I can deploy that cordage much more readily than unraveling some darn bracelet.

Besides that, I just can't find paracord that matches the tint of my eyes and complements my hair.....
Posted by: yee

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/22/14 12:43 AM

Funny, I just found the SAME buckle on ebay and have two coming in from China at about $2.50 each. I'm going to use them on the sternum strap of my backpacks.

As far as the braiding, its just a cobra sinnet

http://www.animatedknots.com/cobra/

I haven't been a big fan of the cobra due to the work involved in making and (more importantly) dis-assembling it for actual use.
It is possible to hide something long and thin inside the cobra but be aware that this may make the sinnet a bit stiff for a bracelet.

I have been using the chain sinnet for my lanyards

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/

which is simpler to untie (a quick pull) but "stores" less cord than the cobra. I use about 8' paracord for my knife lanyard. It works well for me.

To go back to an earlier thread where I asked about a slippery bend so that a lanyard will give safely (in the event that the lanyard unexpectedly hitches on something), I found a good solution:

On one end of my chain sinnet, I make a bight. On the other end, I tie a strangle knot over the bight

http://www.animatedknots.com/strangleend/

With paracord, the bend gives fairly easily but I have to periodically retie the bend because it gives. The strangle knot seems to work better than a constrictor for me.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/22/14 03:52 AM

Honestly I just watch youtube videos that explain how to do it, and accept that I'm probably going to have to do it more than once to get it right!

There are a few patterns you can follow, and the basic ones are pretty simple... but there are a few designs out there that are very easy to undo when you need to use the cord, though some can be a pain in the butt to do.

Personally I don't like a lot of junk on my wrists and it's kind of a fad thing now, so I made mine big enough to go around my ankle loosely. Not only do I get more cord out of the deal but it's hidden unless I need it.

I am fond of the "BSB" style bracelet when it comes to accessories; it has a ferro rod, jute twine for tinder, and a nameplate / striker. Pretty neat.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/23/14 04:54 PM

That's a tough one hiker. Accessorizing and color co-ordination are both vital to survival and often so hard to accomplish. LOL.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/23/14 05:04 PM

Thanks Yee.
Thats where I found them, ebay, and a lot of other small items for kits. I was told not hold my breath waiting for them.
I was thinking of a #11 scalpel blade, short needle with thread,2 small safety pins, braided fishing line because monofiliment has long term problems, non lead split shot, swivel , a few small hooks and some tinder kwick. MAYBE a tiny straw of triple antibiotic and some butterfly closures. Kind of a I've lost everything else and this is my last ditch gear. Perhaps glue a button compass on the buckle and polish the striker as a signal mirror.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/23/14 05:06 PM

Interesting thoughts Burncycle. I hadn't consider those points. Thanks
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/23/14 06:03 PM

I tell people that if you are willing to wear one all the time it might do you some good. i.e. you turn a "Critical Survival Item" into Wearable Fashion. If not it's just 3m of Cord and if you simply carry the cord it is far easier and quicker to employ.

Same 3m (10Feet) of Cord

If you place some other Critical Survival Items on/in the Bracket it would be more useful, but only if the items themselves are worth carrying.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/23/14 06:10 PM

This is true Bruce.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/24/14 06:07 AM

I appreciate the idea but it has to be slow and cumbersome to unravel the bracelet when you need cordage. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of useful material. And I very much dislike jewelry. I wear a watch but that's about all I can tolerate. Back when I was married it was very difficult to get used to wearing a ring.

This might be heresy but I'll say it nonetheless- paracord is a bit overrated. It's great stuff but pretty bulky for the length. It's not really very usable as rope and overkill for most uses of cordage. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and use it quite a bit. But for survival/emergency uses I think bank line is better. It's very strong but much less bulky.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/24/14 05:53 PM

Right on - pcord is rather bulky. I like braided nylon mason's twine for most uses (pitching tarps and the like). If you need rope for climbing and safety, go for the real stuff, 9mm or more in diameter, and designed for the purpose.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/25/14 06:25 AM

I really like the waxed cord, too. Realistically for general outdoors/survival use rope isn't needed or optimal IMO.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/25/14 02:06 PM

I like paracord, but it always seems to get tangled up in my backpack.

I saw one of these out on Amazon the other day, and thought it would be great to wrap my cord around and have a handy cutter for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNYRHPY/ref=...d=IM72RULYUCICW

Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it does look convenient. Any thoughts?

Rod

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/25/14 02:59 PM

Phaedrus
Thanks for the observations.I tightly bundle and wrap paracord to reduce it's bulk. Personally I prefer the surveyors twine over paracord, much thinner and phenomaly strong. (I currently carry bundles of it in shocking pink, much easier to see year round). I'm not familiar with bank line?

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/25/14 03:08 PM

RNewcombe
The device looks both bulky and pricey in my opinion. But, that's JUST my opinion. I'd rather use my knife to cut the cord and spend the money on a fire steel, or a stove, fuel or some other item I need. Or think I need over the little womans protests.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/25/14 06:28 PM

If you want any information or tools for paracord (or want well done completed items) get in touch with Kevin Gagne (a member of this forum as The Paracordist) at www.paracordist.com There are also several good video's on his site.

Kevin makes a lot of excellent items, his ranger beads are the best I have ever used.

As usual, no association other than as a satisfied customer.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/26/14 03:04 AM

Jerry
Thanks. I'll check it out. I see I forgot to mention water purification tablets to be included.This is why I make lists.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/27/14 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I like paracord, but it always seems to get tangled up in my backpack.

I saw one of these out on Amazon the other day, and thought it would be great to wrap my cord around and have a handy cutter for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNYRHPY/ref=...d=IM72RULYUCICW

Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it does look convenient. Any thoughts?

Rod

Pricey?
You dare to suggest that $18 is pricey for an item with:

"Lenox® Shatterproof Stainless Steel Bi-Metal Titanium Coated Utility Blade (Replaceable).
All Stainless Steel Hardware (2 Hatch nuts and screws, plus one spare set-we all loose things).
8 multisize proprietary burn slots, for finishing the ends of heated paracord.
Integrated MINI BIC® Lighter retention system. (Lighter not included)"

This has to be a bargain.

The copy writers clearly have experience in menu creation for upscale eateries: " medallions of succulent Kobe beef from pampered Angus steers, lovingly braised in the milk of Oahu coconuts, festooned with garlands of grilled Milanese zucchini..."

On the other hand, you could pocket a folding knife and a mini-bic, stuff the cord in a ziplock, and be on your way 2 ounces lighter and $18 richer...but those "proprietary burn slots"...I am not sure how to cope without them...oh wait...I hold on to the cord with one hand, the bic with the other, and it all works out, except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

OTOH, this clearly provides copy-writing work for unemployed English majors, but they are penalized 2 points for confusing the use of "lose" and "loose".

File this with the tactical black toilet paper.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/27/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

I've recently accepted a new position as the Director of Sales for the only American company that manufactures a complete, integrated shoe protection system for people like you. PM me for details.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/28/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: nursemike
except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

I've recently accepted a new position as the Director of Sales for the only American company that manufactures a complete, integrated shoe protection system for people like you. PM me for details.

Spoiler alert--new TV show for next season: Naked and Afraid of dripping hot nylon on my bare feet.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/28/14 02:15 AM

Like Bruce, I just take a coil of paracord and don't bother with anything fancy. 20' is in my backpack, a 100' coil is in my truck. After a short time the knots/twists/turns in the cord become something you need to deal with when you use it for something other than as a fashion accessory. I cut it to length, melt the ends, loop it and call it done. YMMV
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/28/14 03:00 AM

Ditto
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 08/28/14 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Yeah they're all the rage. But finding one to fit my wrist, or the little woman's slender wrist just didn't seem worth the effort.
Until now.
I've found a buckle which not only has a whistle, but a small ferro rod and scraper built in.
Does anyone know anything about braiding these bracelets? Such as a website called braiding for dummies with big clumsy hands? And can additional supplies be concealed in the braiding?
Thanks.

Three options. All are "easy" using hemostats or crochet hooks in the "K" through "L" size range, all eat up an incredible amount of cordage, and all can be unraveled by undoing a few loops and pulling on the running end:

1) Double Chain Sinnet, also called a Bugler's Braid. Works best with homestats. Attach it to the first buckle half (2 piece sidelock buckle) in step 4 by running the new bight through the strap loop on the buckle before running it through the previous bight.

http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/bugle-braid.html

To finish it, pass the next to last bight through stap loop on the second buckle half, the pass the final bight and running end of the cord through it before tightening it down. Tie off the running end with a bulky stopper knot (oysterman's or double overhand) and/or a toggle bead.

2) Crochet. No I'm not kidding, it is very easy to crochet paracord. A single crochet stitch produces the tightest pattern and have the least give, and a triple crochet stitch will cover the greatest area and be the 'stretchiest'. These are the basic instructions, but a video tutorial would be better. You will have to get creative to attach them to the buckles.

http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-single-crochet-stitches-sc/
http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-double-crochet-stitches-dc/
http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-treble-crochet-stitches-tr/

3) Slatt's rescue belt. No preference to hemostats or crochet hooks. Unholy pain to dress the knot.

http://www.orionn49.com/slatts_rescue_belt_knot1.htm

There are a lot more patterns, but these are the three that I think are best suited for a 'survival' bracelet.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/29/14 09:38 PM

I prefer to use paracord bracelets that serve multiple functions and they're an important element of my 1st-line gear loadout. In urban contexts I use an ankle bracelet that has tools appropriate to that environment. In a wilderness context here's what I'm using now.

- I made this quick-deploy bracelet correctly on the first try in about 10 minutes. It unfurls in seconds with no hassle. There are multiple variations on this weave, just check YouTube.

- 550 cord (type III) can be unnecessarily bulky. I made my bracelet with slimmer mil-spec type II cord. You can also use commercial 4-strand cord that's even slimmer and comes in many colors. Try different quick-deploy weaves to get the bracelet thickness you prefer. Narrow cord allows you to use a smaller buckle size for even less overall bulk.

- I integrated this little ferro rod and this magnesium rod into the bracelet, along with waterproof jute cord and a section of correspondingly sized bicycle inner tube which gives me two types independent waterproof tinder that don't need an open flame to light. If conditions are really wet then once the magnesium and/or jute is lit, burn a piece of the inner tube. I slipped a 1-1/4" long piece of a hacksaw blade under the inner tube as a ferro striker/scraper. A simple washer works too as long as it has a clean 90 degree edge that isn't rounded off. I've tested all these components together and they work great.

- The whistle on these 1/2" contoured buckles is surprisingly effective, beats yelling yourself hoarse any day, and there's no downside to having it. If you desire a breakaway type buckle those are available too.

My bracelet gives me reliable firestarters, extra cordage, and a decent whistle in a slim package that almost can't be lost or left in camp.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/30/14 01:57 PM

I thought this post had run it's course. Thanks for the great info and lin ks Glock.
I recently purchased a a premade bracelet out of China with a whistle/ferro rod buckle. It arrived well made and for 2.27 I shouldn't complain. But it was huge! I have big wrists but this thing was so big I can wwear it on my ankle. I glued a tiny compass on it but the scraper would pop it off everytime. Scraping off the super glue I used super glue fix all and it worked just fine. I think Ill try to make a quick deploy bracelet.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/30/14 02:06 PM

Roger that, Death. IMO a paracord bracelet is like a survival kit: it's best to make your own so it fits your needs. And it's a fun exercise to pick & choose from the various components to come up with what is a great tool in the toolbox.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/30/14 05:18 PM

Plus, it's a lot harder to lose than other gear, Glock. And as we discussed in our group once, if taken prisoner/hostage in the wilderness a bracelet or anklet might be overlooked, leaving at least SOME gear if you can escape. We also discussed using tubular webbing with a ferro buckle. Has anyone tried this? You wouldnt have the para cord, unless you braided over the webbing, but you could put a lot of tiny gear in the tube.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/31/14 12:58 AM

I guess I am just not a fan of survival bracelets. If I want cordage, I include it in my kit (and no question, cordage is highly useful).

I do worry about a loop of very strong cordage around my wrist where it could catch in machinery, etc., or get caught on something during a fall (especially a climbing situation). I generally remove my wedding band when climbing - they areknown for causing deglovement injuries, which are rather nasty.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 10/31/14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I do worry about a loop of very strong cordage around my wrist where it could catch in machinery, etc., or get caught on something during a fall (especially a climbing situation). I generally remove my wedding band when climbing - they are known for causing deglovement injuries, which are rather nasty.

The bracelet's potential for snagging is a concern for me too. Like you, I remove my wedding ring when adventuring. And I use a breakaway clasp on the paracord necklace I wear in the field.

I am going to experiment with modifying a whistle buckle by carefully grinding off a bit of the outer edges of the buckle's male side 'prongs'. The 'hook' at these spots is what engages with the female side of the buckle, and I think if you shaved a bit off of those hook edges you could make the buckle release when overly loaded.

Then again, I'm a tinkerer and I realize most people won't bother with it.

Posted by: MedB

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 11/18/14 04:17 AM

This?

The Kodiak

* Premade in different color paracord
* Ferrorod and Striker
* Fishhook woven in
* Fishing line in braid
* Jute tinder in braid

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 11/18/14 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

I am going to experiment with modifying a whistle buckle by carefully grinding off a bit of the outer edges of the buckle's male side 'prongs'. The 'hook' at these spots is what engages with the female side of the buckle, and I think if you shaved a bit off of those hook edges you could make the buckle release when overly loaded.

That's exactly the same way I make breakaway buckles for my badge lanyards. I shave the hooks back to about a 30 degree ramp, and the buckle separates with about 3 lbs of force.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/29/16 10:09 PM

Don't want to start a new thread, so resurrecting the old dedicated one. The survival bracelet idea is being developing very well. Just stumbbled upon this artfull business: http://www.superessestraps.com/ No affiliation, and don't giving any recommendations (actually I hate bracelets, as they are not compatible with the long sleeve shirts I love to wear in the field), just liked their images and ideas a lot, plan to incorporate some in my EDC wearables (everything pictured is tucked inside the bracelet, there are several kit designs under the link).

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/30/16 04:57 PM

It seems that most of the gear depicted would fit easily into a conventional money belt. I find, for instance, that one of mine will easily accommodate a SAK Classic.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/30/16 07:14 PM

..or easily into a pocket.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/30/16 07:25 PM

I think the practical appeal of the bracelet kit is that there is no need of a bulky useless box (i.e. Altoids) rattling in the pocket (I doubt you want all of these things riding lose there) or any pockets at all for that (consider strolling on the beach situation). Also, instead of the useless box you have a useful chunk of paracord as a container.

By the way, I'm thinking to try making the paracord belt pouch for my LM Wave and stuff some day:

The ideal box is a no box at all.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/30/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex
I think the practical appeal of the bracelet kit is that there is no need of a bulky useless box (i.e. Altoids) rattling in the pocket (I doubt you want all of these things riding lose there) or any pockets at all for that (consider strolling on the beach situation).

I'm going to disagree with that. I think the attractiveness of the "survival bracelet" is that it's always on your person regardless of how you're dressed. Depending on your level of modesty (the strolling on the beach scenario), the bracelet may be the only usable storage option.

That being said, I still thing that they're mainly survival bling, and that a wrist or neck pouch is a better alternative for carrying last ditch gear.

Re: Paracord Bracelets - 03/30/16 09:54 PM

second the "survival bling" concept....