Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago.

Posted by: AKSAR

Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/18/14 08:48 PM

The Atlantic has an interesting photo retrospective of the Northridge Earthquake, which happened on January 17, 1994.

As is usually the case in big quakes, the degree of damage depends on many factors, and can vary widely. Construction techniques play a big role. So does the ground things are built on. Secondary damage, such as fires from ruptured gas lines, can be severe. Some fatalities were probably due to it happening at night.

In 1994, California was probably better able to withstand an earthquake than most parts of the country.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/18/14 09:36 PM

one of the strange things in California right now is that there has been a lull, or quiet period, in large earthquakes. if you look at the stats, there are about 4-5 large quakes (Mag 6-7) every 25 years. but since the year 2000, it has been very quiet. probably this is just some sort of random anomaly, because I don't see any reason why the forces in the ground would have changed. but one thing is for sure, we do seem to be overdue for something big to happen. where and when is anybody's guess.

Pete
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/19/14 12:43 AM

Quote:
...because I don't see any reason why the forces in the ground would have changed.

I am not a geologist or seismologist but it could be that the fault has slipped until it reached a stronger outcropping of rock.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/19/14 12:50 AM

Earthquake prediction is an oxymoron, if there ever was one. The two plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault are slipping past one another at about the speed at which your fingernails are growing, so there are all kinds of variables in play that determine when things go bump. Eventually, the plate on which I live will arrive at Alaska, so maybe i will get to shake hands with ETSers there. Don't hold your breath, though.

I remember Northridge 1994 quite well. I was sleeping in an upper bunk on San Miguel Island and got an E ticket ride, as well as a delay in travel plans....What is amazing is that, despite a fair amount of infrastructure reinforcing and improvements, the powers that be in Los Angeles haven't got around to identifying and improving the many buildings that are vulnerable to the next large movement. You would think that those of us living in SoCal would be sensitive and responsive to the tectonic hazard.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/19/14 01:45 AM

"a stronger outcropping of rock."

in which case the stronger outcropping of rock, wherever it is (underground) is going to break sooner or later. And when it does ...

Pete
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/19/14 03:25 AM

The total number of people killed from 1996 to 2012 was estimated at around 896,000 people world wide due to earthquakes. The Number of people killed in the USA over the same period was 2.

Probably better worrying about putting your trousers on while sitting down rather than standing up.

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/19/14 04:38 AM

Good point - worrying about death by EQ is somewhat like being concerned about attacks by wild animals, etc. - not statistically probable.

On the other hand, something like 48 people died in one collapsed apartment building in Northridge. Good construction makes all the difference - earth and unreinforced masonry bad- decent frame good.

The local hospital is erecting a major addition. They have been several months on nothing but the foundation, building (digging, actually) to keep it from succumbing to liquifaction. Now that the frame is going up, I am impressed with the massive beams and extensive bracing. Remind me of that the next time I pay for their services....
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/20/14 03:47 AM

I was struck especially by the pics of the 3 vehicles left very high up on a surviving span, with no visible way off it, except by air evac. or rappelling. Wonder how long the wait was. Good reason to keep necessities in a vehicle.
The National Guardsman standing guard in his camo. appears to be wielding an M-16 without a clip in it: An imposing club.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/20/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Famdoc

The National Guardsman standing guard in his camo. appears to be wielding an M-16 without a clip in it: An imposing club.

Guess the rules of engagement for this particular mission makes loading the weapon somewhat ... superfluous. But he still has to make sure the "club" isn't stolen or run over by a truck.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/20/14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Famdoc
Guess the rules of engagement for this particular mission makes loading the weapon somewhat ... superfluous. But he still has to make sure the "club" isn't stolen or run over by a truck.
I don't recall hearing much about violence associated with that quake, but then again, I was not there. Perhaps one of our California members can recall whether the National Guard had to shoot anyone after the Northridge Earthquake? Or even club anyone?

Famdoc-
Note that one loads an M-16 with a magazine, not a clip. There is a difference.

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/20/14 11:27 PM

Well, I was there, or at least in the next county over to the west. Now I am sure there must have been [/u]some[u] looting, in a dense, extensive urban area like Los Angeles,but it was not particularly prominent. Mostly people were helping one another out.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/26/14 10:50 PM

I have a hazy memory of shopkeepers defending their stores with rifles, but it may have been after the Rodney King story; rather than the Northridge quake.

Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. - 01/26/14 11:13 PM

There were fairly widespread riots after the Rodney king verdict. I distinctly remember checking my firearms as news spread of the unrest - just in case the bad guys came calling in my neck of the woods. But I believe there was little if any as a result of Northridge.

Just speculation, but aren't you more likely to see unrest and rioting as a result of unpopular socially centered events like the RK verdict, as opposed to natural disasters like earthquakes?