Sinkhole in Hillsborough County

Posted by: Herman30

Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/01/13 04:09 PM

Quote:
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL -

A man was missing early Friday after a large sinkhole opened under the bedroom of a house near Tampa. His brother says the man screamed for help before he disappeared.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21433254/man-trapped-in-a-sinkhole-in-bradon
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/01/13 04:46 PM

sounds like a B movie.
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/01/13 05:07 PM

Oh my gosh! That's horrible!! My prayers are for this man. I can not think of a more horrendous death than being swallowed up by a sinkhole in your own bedroom.
Except maybe waking up married to Mimi from the Drew Carey show.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/02/13 03:44 AM

Not sure how to prep for that. Imagine the nigtmares the surviving brother is going to have.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/02/13 04:03 AM

What can you do? I read in another article that an inspection was recently conducted of the property to obtain home owner's insurance. Signs of a sinkhole are something the inspector would likely have looked for since Florida state law requires that sinkhole damage is covered by insurance. I guess there weren't any obvious or imminent warning signs at that time.

Boy, what are the chances of a sinkhole opening up literally right under your bed, and collapsing so fast that you don't have time to get to safety? How awful.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/02/13 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Not sure how to prep for that.
Agreed,thats a truly unexpected occurrence.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/02/13 05:15 AM

Yeah, this is the kind of act of god it would be pretty hard to anticipate. So terrible.
Posted by: Slatu

Re: Sinkhole in Hillsborough County - 03/02/13 03:36 PM

I have a friend around Naples, FL (Collier County). He has a few acres, and about 300' from his house is a nice 30' diameter sinkhole and he didn't mow the lawn within 50'. This is more common down there than you'd think.