Review My BOB Please?

Posted by: Krista

Review My BOB Please? - 08/09/12 11:35 PM

Hello Everyone. I am FINALLY working on my BOB. Finally. I was hoping that you all would be willing to review my status thus far, and offer advice tailored to my specific situation. I’ll summarize. I am in okay health, a little overweight but working on it every day with a more healthy diet and active lifestyle. I am 5’4” with little muscle, but I’m working on that too. I’ve been carrying a pack every time we go on our walks. I have a 5 (almost 6) year old daughter who would be traveling with me.

Obviously, first choice is stay in place, 2nd choice is use the car. Last resort is travel to our destination on foot. This is the bag I am making for the event that we have to travel on foot. I have a small sized dog that will be traveling with us. He will not be able to carry anything, except maybe a small bit of his own food. I have taken pictures and listed what I have and what I will be adding within the next two weeks. I would really really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute to think about my situation, and let me know where I’m lacking and what I can do to improve. Also, as a side note. My destination is quite far away, around 400 miles... (but I have no other location available to me, that’s my only option IF my home becomes unsafe).

Here is a picture of my pack (If I can remember how to post a picture)

Here's a picture of the gear I have so far

Here's a picture of the first aid gear I have so far

And, here's a written list. If I didn't do the pictures right... well... sorry. crazy

What I Have General:

MRE’s (Not sure how many to bring for myself and my almost 6 year old, Thoughts?)
Water Purification Tablets
Stainless Steel Water bottle
Folding Shovel
Gerber Multi Tool
Flashlight and Headlamp with extra batteries
Flint striker thing
fire lighter/tinder combo
waterproof matches
Signal Mirror
Compass
Mini Survival Guide Book (I have a copy that I read regularly, this is the spare)
Paracord (will be wrapped around straps and in a very fashionable bracelet)
Ammunition

What I Have First Aid:

Sterile Combine Pad
Iodine Solution
Gauze Bandage
Burn Dressing (I’m clumsy arund fire)
Antibiotic Ointment
Random Combo of Bandages Swiped from Hubby’s Gear
Band-Aids
Medical Tape
Hand sanitizer/sanitizer combo
Toothpaste
Feminine Products

Defense/Hunting:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR40C (I know a 9mm would be more practical, but I practice more with my .40)

What I Know I will be adding very soon:

Toothbrush
Hotel Size Soap
Bed Roll
Tarp or Tent and/or sleeping bag (Thoughts?)
Knife (I keep one in my pocket, but want one just for my bag)
Map (I have a map, from google maps, but I hate the route and want to get topos to make my own route. And, yes, I actually do have a destination, and yes, I do know how to read maps)
Small Supply of Dog Food (Figure I will share with him anything I’m lucky enough to catch)
Extra Medications
Tylenol
Antidiarrheal medicine
Backpacker’s Stove
Mess Kit
Small fishing setup of some sort

So, advice, suggestions anyone? Also, advice for how to organize this mess?? I hate that it seems so scattered and random, but I am not sure how to organize it better.

PS. If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. I put it here because the bug out would definitely be longer than 5 days. Please move is this the wrong spot!
Posted by: spuds

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/09/12 11:44 PM

How much will it weigh and maybe a pepper spray? Some defense thats less than lethal.
Bug spray.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/09/12 11:59 PM

Wow!! Where to begin......

If you really are contemplating a scenario that could involve a 400 mile trek, you should really get some experience with that pack. I suspect that there are many models more suitable for your purpose than what you have. What is its capacity?

Weight will be a big issue for your trekking scenario, and yet, relatively trivial if you can drive all or nearly all of the way. MREs are way too heavy for continued. backpacking use - many more favorable foods are available; many can be found in typical supermarkets. At the same time, you are not carrying enough water - that pipsqueak stainless steel canteen should be replaced by something with more capacity, unless your route takes you along a nice river.

For that matter, what sort of climate, terrain, etc. are involved in your planning? That makes a huge difference, to say nothing of seasonal changes....

If I were planning an emergency trip of this nature, I would seriously consider utilizing a good touring bicycle, which will compress a twenty-five day trip (at least) into a more negotiable 5-6 day trip, provided you have the conditioning and stamina for either mode of travel.

Are you sure you have no safe havens any closer than 400 miles? You will need at least a few places where you can rest and regroup for at least a day or two.

Good thinking, and thank you for an interesting problem. This should be a lively thread.......
Posted by: Alex

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 12:12 AM

I would recommend to include some comforting items for your 6 year old, e.g. a favorite toy, a colorful book, a jar of hard candy she likes, crayons, e.t.c.

A small sewing kit and some safety pins?

Also I think you can fit in a small radio to listen to the news. What about a spare charger for your phone?

As for the organization. A bunch of good quality zip lock bags is good enough. They provide moisture protection, easily slip in and out of the main bag, and can be re-purposed for other tasks in obvious ways.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: spuds
How much will it weigh and maybe a pepper spray? Some defense thats less than lethal.
Bug spray.

Weight... I'm not sure! I was thinking that I would load it up with the essentials, and then work on minimizing the weight as much as possible. Bug spray is a great idea for my area! Pepper spray is a good idea too, I need some of that for my purse anyway.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Wow!! Where to begin......

If you really are contemplating a scenario that could involve a 400 mile trek, you should really get some experience with that pack. I suspect that there are many models more suitable for your purpose than what you have. What is its capacity?

Weight will be a big issue for your trekking scenario, and yet, relatively trivial if you can drive all or nearly all of the way. MREs are way too heavy for continued. backpacking use - many more favorable foods are available; many can be found in typical supermarkets. At the same time, you are not carrying enough water - that pipsqueak stainless steel canteen should be replaced by something with more capacity, unless your route takes you along a nice river.

For that matter, what sort of climate, terrain, etc. are involved in your planning? That makes a huge difference, to say nothing of seasonal changes....

If I were planning an emergency trip of this nature, I would seriously consider utilizing a good touring bicycle, which will compress a twenty-five day trip (at least) into a more negotiable 5-6 day trip, provided you have the conditioning and stamina for either mode of travel.

Are you sure you have no safe havens any closer than 400 miles? You will need at least a few places where you can rest and regroup for at least a day or two.

Good thinking, and thank you for an interesting problem. This should be a lively thread.......

The pack. *sigh* This pack is one of many that we already had laying around. I chose this out of all the others because it was the only one with a frame. I thought that it would help make the bag more manageable. I have no idea what the capacity is, but when I put in all that stuff in the pictures I still have LOADS of room.

I agree that MRE's are too heavy. For now, I am packing what I have on hand, and swapping out items as I upgrade.

I know my water needs loads of work, but that will be remedied shortly.

The route is half flat, coastal area, half mountains (where I actually feel most at home having been raised in the mountains).

Unfortunately, for now, this is the absolute closest haven I have. I don't want to be one of those people who would bug out with nowhere to go. I suppose I am looking at it in a TEOTWAWKI kind of scenario. For something more likely, shelters are an option, although I worry about finding one that would accept my dog.

I hate bicycling. But I see your point. My concern is that I would be more visible (again, I may be looking at this from the more paranoid perspective).

Originally Posted By: Alex
I would recommend to include some comforting items for your 6 year old, e.g. a favorite toy, a colorful book, a jar of hard candy she likes, crayons, e.t.c.

A small sewing kit and some safety pins?

Also I think you can fit in a small radio to listen to the news. What about a spare charger for your phone?

As for the organization. A bunch of good quality zip lock bags is good enough. They provide moisture protection, easily slip in and out of the main bag, and can be re-purposed for other tasks in obvious ways.

Comfort items are going into a small backpack for my daughter, along with a safety whistle, some snacks, a bottle of water, identification card.

Good idea on the sewing kit! I do have some safety pins stashed on the bag.

I will definitely be using the ziplocks idea too, and checking on a radio. Thank you!

I feel like my BOB is off to a horrible start. LOL.
Posted by: Andrew_D_S

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 02:03 AM

I carry a smaller backback in the Denali 'Swoop' backpack and I think I am at my upper limits of weight capable by this backpack.

You really need to asses wether you would be able to carry a heavy BOB, and with the variables with what has happened for you to start using it and to lug it around with you.

Some of the items I carry in my BOB are the following.

-2 Sealed boxes of AA & AAA batteries (30pc per box - Lithium & Alkaline)
-Bug lotion in rub on 'Bushmans' - rub on is less wasteful and not a fire risk - it contains lots of deet (Australia sucks for insects!)
-full size duct tape
-Paracord & other ropes
-Micro Jimmy Bar
-LED Wand (multi function led)
-2 LED Torches - one for everyday and the other is for performance & light power.
-Chainsaw handsaw blade (self made)
-electrical cable and a button and spare LED's
-Thermal blankets
-Tarpaulin (3x2 meter)
-fishing line, hooks, swivels, wire trace etc (can work as a snare trap)
-good quality St/St padlock & keys
-Kong screw gate caribiners (24Nm), Kong belay & 15 meters of rope & a loop harness.
-Scrubbed / blacked out all the reflective pieces on my BOB for night time security (JIC).

And so many other things I cant remember off my head... I should make a list of it all...
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 02:42 AM

I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood... use a twig stove so you don't need to carry fuel... if you need to dig a "cat hole" for a latrine, use a pointed stick

replace the band aids with larger (that can be cut down) telfa non stick pads and self adhering tape... it has more utility

a GI poncho with mosquito netting and closed cell pad might have more utility than a tent

a water filter so you can process more water, and not have to rely entirely on a finite number of purification tabs

a "push along" heavy tire bicycle or Mormon push cart to transport your daughter
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 04:46 AM

Looks like you know someone in the military with all those things you just "had laying around" smile

I got a bunch of stuff from work laying around as well. Thats a big rule in any emergency I recon. Learn to use what you have available. Theres nothing wrong with the pack in the picture if you can carry it comfortably (key word) It may draw a few looks, but it looks sturdy and the money you would waste on another pack could be spent on something you don't already have. If you cannot carry that pack comfortably you may want to consider replacing it then, as 400 miles is a lot of distance.

As far as reviewing you gear you must also consider that you are the only one who knows where you will use it, how you will use it, and all the other special cirmstances that would make everyone on this forum pack something different.(climate, topo etc)

I have no idea what a person would need to walk 400 miles in north Carolina, but as a Canadian I would trade 3/4 of what everyone else suggested and half of whats in your pack right now for warm clothes and a good broken in pair of boots. For me, my biggest considerations would be things like a wool toque, gloves, rain gear, a fleece or wool sweater, Good sturdy footwear, sunglasses, and like someone mentioned, lots and lots of water as well as as many ways possible to find and purify more along the way.

IMO, take it for what it is, Things like folding shovels, books, extra firearms, fishing gear etc are wasted weight. The chances of successfully hunting, trapping and fishing along the way will be a lot slimmer than you think. If the average person only knew how hard it is to "live off the land" they would happily give thanks each and every day they dont have to. You may be best off using that space for calorie dense foods like mainstay bars, or heaven forbid pemmican if you could stomach the taste. If it were me I would remove everything from its packaging unless totally necessary (like food obviously) Invest in a good solid water purification pump and add lots and lots of BLISTER BANDAGES TO YOUR FA kit. Trust me, I have carried a pack similar to yours for over 16 years and its the blisters that will bring you down first if the feet are not conditioned.

If you are not used to walking with weight for long distances taking the time to condition your body now may be a bigger investment than any amount of fancy gear you will stuff in that bag. I can't stress that one enough. Packing the bag is one thing, but carrying it is another. A 400 mile trek is a big endevor, even for someone like myself and I do this crap for a living. You may as well accept the fact that you will be carrying your little girl most of the way as well if on foot and alone. No kid I know is going to walk 400 miles. I can't get my daughter to walk to the dishwasher....Anything you could do to not have to walk would be worth consideration. You hate riding a bike? well imagine walking 400 miles through a huge emergency with bleeding feet, dehydrated and carrying a scared little girl on your shoulders with 300 miles to go. Right about then I bet the bike would sound pretty good. Not trying to sound snarky, just saying.

In the end, know that every oz of weight you carry must be worth it or it is a waste. If you can't realistically find a god reason to carry it then learn to live without it or learn to improvise it on the fly (like the pointed stick vs shovel that lessnyder pointed out) Stick to the basics (like proper clothing, water, shelter) and get your body ready as best you can to be able to make that 400 mile walk if and when you ever have to.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 06:39 AM

Hey, it's a great start. You will continuously add (and remove!) things over time, and at the end of the day only you can decide what to include.

Since you're oriented towards being on the move, don't worry so much about the pack until you get the footwear and clothing sorted. In your car along with your pack, you can include a good pair of broken in hiking boots, underarmor type moisture wicking underwear, and other proper clothing that you can change into from whatever you happen to be wearing.

Second, while people tend to like self sufficiency, odds are you won't have to make the 400 miles on foot even without a vehicle. Other than hitching a ride (with associated risks), sometimes a couple hundred dollars in cash will do what a whole bag of goodies won't when it comes to being able to keep you and yours safe. It means a hotel room, or a bus, and food.

Whenever you get the gear the way you like it, take a couple days and hike some legs of the Appalachian trail. It will give you real experience lugging the pack around, and the experience will help volumes.

Here's my recommendations, for what it's worth
-Proper hygiene kit oriented towards you being on the move, including but not limited to (you already have some of this) Gold Bond powder, Bordeaux Butt Paste, Bodyglide, Moleskin, Sunscreen, Bug Repellant, Feminine Hygene stuff, wet wipes and TP. Spare socks.

-For shelter, bugs are your primary concern much of the year. Because you're with company, you'll probably want a multi-person shelter like a small trail tent with mosquito netting. Keep in mind inexpensive tents tend to leak, you might want to treat it with waterproofing spray. It can get cold enough in the winter that hypothermia is a concern so you'll have to decide how you want to handle that as well.

-For water, you already mentioned fixing your situation there. I prefer a large source (2 liter canteen or 3 liter bladder) and one or two smaller sources (canteens or nalgene bottles with cups) for flexibility in cooking and purifying. Purification tablets will work for the majority of water you might find. Filters are nice but can get very expensive, for a kit you'll only be using in an emergency you might add just a couple of water filter straws (like lifestraw or the ones by frontier). These should be used in conjunction with chemical treatment or boiling and only by themselves directly from a source if all else fails.

-A good knife doesn't have to be expensive. A more robust (~$15) combined with a proper hand saw will be able to do almost everything you'll need when it comes to processing wood. Maybe throw in a multi-tool (good for disassembling your car if you need to, grabbing hot or sharp items, cutting wire, etc)

Other practical items include a spare phone battery (or external battery pack with sufficient capacity to last 2-3 days), a pay as you go phone for your daughter, a couple of FRS/GRMS radios maybe.

Everyone needs to start somewhere, I've been tweaking mine for years, I still change and improve things here and there (and I went WAY too heavy at ~65 pounds, I need to cut mine down lol)

Posted by: Chisel

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 06:48 AM

Krista

Check You tube and search for ( Homemade MRE's ) They show you how to assemble yourr own MRE's from common foods in the market. This is especially imprtant for your kid. Even for you I guess it is better to eat foods you already have tried and liked. Survival times are not the best times to try something new.

Also, the firelighters ( Green Box ) are like a dozen giant matches. If your "bug out" trip takes many days , these will not be enough. Keep in mind that a dozen may in fact mean half a dozen because some of them may be blown out due to wind or rain. Add some lighters and/or waterproof matches. They will increase your chances of starting fires without adding much weight.

Try to make more hoemade stuff and add to the BOB. Examples like cotton balls soaked in vaselene ( there are You tubes on how to make them , real easy ) and homemade MRE's ..etc. This minimizes the cost and adds more "feel" and experience while you make them .

Also, take some weekends with your daughter to test or practice "bugging out" even in your own backyard ( setting shelter, starting fire, cooking dinner on a stove ..etc. ). These weekends will show you first hand what problems you will face personally or what problems may face your daughter or dog

Think and plan for possibilies of being separated from the dog or the daugher. ( What if ?) Train her to some strategy . Think about giving her a whistle just in case. Experts here can debate whether it is a good idea to make a necklace for her whistle or that maybe a choke hazard.

In her bag or pack , put full contact info with your phone # and any other relative in your destination.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 06:53 AM

You mentioned a pocket knife nd adding another for the bag. Try to choose a fixed blade for the bag. Mora is not expensive nor heavy.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 11:30 AM

You're off to a great start, Krista! The most important thing, in my mind anyway, is to get started. You can tweak and adjust along the way but you've got a lot of basis covered already by starting with what you have on-hand. Well done! (I cringe when I hear people who no BOB or an incomplete one because they are waiting for just the right piece of gear.)

I like that you're giving your 6 year old her own pack. Great idea! Don't overload it but give her the basics and some comfort items - perfect!

Shelter and water seem to be big gaps, but it sounds like you have a plan for those. Get what you can afford and then use it. You'll not only get proficient at it, but you'll uncover short-comings and find solutions for those. Don't wait until TSHTF to realize your tent leaks or your tarp isn't big enough. Since you asked, I'd vote yes to adding sleeping bag(s) or some other warm blanket(s). It'll be snugglier for your daugher. Don't underestimate to value of security, especially when there are kids involved.

Watch those Coghlans Fire Lighter sticks. We tested them this summer and though they're cool and can be easy to use, they don't work well if they get damp. (They'll crumble and won't ignite.) Keep them in a sealed ziplock bag. One of their plusses is that they are a great way for our kids to learn to start campfires. (They work just like matches, in theory, but burn longer and provide their own tinder.)

I'd considered adding some OTC meds specificially for your daughter. A sick child will put a major crimp in any bug-out plan. We proved that theory this summer on a simple overnighter. Where a adult would more often that not try to push through, a child is going to end up a whiney uncooperative mess if they get sick. Kids bandaids might be a nice touch too. In a bug-out scenario, she will be scared and something like a scratch could be a major ordeal. Something simple like a Hello Kitty bandaid could make a positive differenc. You're going to carry bandaids anyway so why not add a little ray of sunshine for her?

You might consider something like a hatchet or folding saw for wood processing. A good fixed blade could also preform the same role, assuming you're not going to be dealing with winters like we get in Nothern Ontario, which can quickly eliminate downed wood as an option.

Extra clothes is a big one for our family BOB. You won't be dealing with the climate we have here in Ontario, but at least one change of clothes could be a lifesaver if you add wet conditions to your scenario, especially for your daughter. Have you driven with her with wet unders? My kiddo hates it and gets whiney if he's soggy and tired. Whiney kids will not enhance your bug-out experience in a positive way. wink Keep yourselves warm and dry.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I like MREs in a family BOB. Yup, they weigh more than dehydrated, but they don't need water or cooking and a timely meal - especially a warm one - will be worth it's weight in my mind, especially with a child in the mix. You might not want to carry enough to get you 400 miles but a few days worth could get you through the initial, everything is upside down and you need to get your bearings period. My kiddo's favourite is mac n cheese so we've got a couple of those in our kit, along with some things that he would usually only get as a special treat.

Everyone here has made some great suggestions so I'll second one of them as a final thought. Involve your daughter. Practice with her, but don't tell her it's bug-out practice. Make it fun. My son loves hiking, camping, bushcraft, etc... but he got there with a little encouragement and opportunities and without any worry about disaster. Teach her Hug-a-Tree, go on lots of hikes, camp. She may just grow to love it, which will make an actual bug-out gobs easier to manage.
Posted by: LED

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 11:44 AM

Hi Krista. Thanks for sharing your BOB contents! Its a brave thing opening yourself up for constructive critique. smile

My only suggestions would be plenty of emergency cash, at least 1 credit card, and a printed list of phone #'s and address of friends and family. And of course the usual car maintenance items: jumper cables, 12V air pump, spare tire w/jack, etc. And maybe even a CB radio.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 12:30 PM

You've got a really good kit here!

Originally Posted By: Krista
:MRE’s (Not sure how many to bring for myself and my almost 6 year old, Thoughts?)

You cannot hoof enough food to last 400 miles! So plan your bag for a shorter time horizon, somewhere in the neighborhood of three days. Can you carry three days' worth?

Quote:
Water Purification Tablets

Are these chlorine dioxide tablets? They're my suggestion for disinfection -- purification would include removing chemical contaminants, where disinfection kills organisms that might make you sick.

Quote:
Flashlight and Headlamp with extra batteries

Do these use LEDs? I strongly recommend lithium batteries, not alkalines.

Quote:
Flint striker thing
fire lighter/tinder combo
waterproof matches

Practice with these! Add a lighter -- It's hard to have too many methods of starting a fire.

Your first aid supplies seem to be lacking OTC meds. I'd suggest aspirin, ibuprofen, something for digestive upset, Benadryl, and a decongestant at a minimum.

Quote:
Ruger SR40C (I know a 9mm would be more practical, but I practice more with my .40)

Bring the gun that you shoot the best!

Also, consider that a .22 is not ideal for hunting larger game or for defense. Something in 5.56 might provide a wider spectrum of applications.

Quote:
Tarp or Tent and/or sleeping bag (Thoughts?)

A tent of a useful size can be hard to lug around. A sportsmans emergency blanket (like this one http://www.amazon.com/MPI-Weather-Emerge...rtsmans+blanket) or similar could make for an easier way to carry something with you that you could use to build a shelter. Make sure to have Heatsheets with you for warmth as well.

Quote:
Knife (I keep one in my pocket, but want one just for my bag)

Like fire-making methods and bandaids, it's hard to have too many knives.

A method to charge your cellphone. I prefer something that uses AA batteries as (with lithium cells) they last the longest in storage.

A radio capable of picking up local stations and NWS weather radio.

Some way to cut branches and the like. Most wire saws are pretty awful, consider a pruning saw or similar.

Contractor bags

A compact gun cleaning kit

Paper and pen

Small pry bar (like a Countycomm widgy bar)

Duct tape

Small camping stove -- an Esbit stove stores practically forever and is inexpensive

Sunscreen

Bug spray
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 12:56 PM

Toilet paper.

The MRE stuff just doesn't cut it.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 01:40 PM

OK, my 2 cents ...

I think the people above have great advice. That pack is OK, IF it fits you well. There are plenty of external frame packs that are lighter and more comfortable - try Craig's list, garage sales, and even surplus stores. Fit is everything if you're trecking that far.

Second, a 400 mile hike. Ugh! You can't carry supplies for that far, so I'd really focus on making sure you can resupply en route. Ie, water filter (not pills), 2-3 liters of water. I know NC has plenty of water sources, but you'll still go through that in 1 day, so plan routes where you can refill water. Plan for 1 day of rest every 5-7 days of hiking - you'll need it!

Good idea w/ the 10/22 and fishing gear, for "resupply" of food. Don't forget though if you're reduced to bugging out on foot, you're going to have a LOT of company, and they're all starving too. I'd ditch the MRE's, and do either the entrees only, or add some dehydrated food or Datrex bars or something simiar. Figure nearly 2000 calories/day, maybe more, if you're carrying a 40-60lbs pack (that's for YOU only!)

FAK - adequate. I like more, but I'm biased. You'll probably be OK. Add some duct or medical tape, and some more gauze, and some more moleskin or molefoam.

How much ammo? I wouldn't take more than 3 mags of .40, or more than 100 rds of .22, but that's just me. You're eating, not fighting a war.

Knife - Mora's are cheap, light and relatively good quality. Not to mention you already have a blade on the Gerber and apparently in your pocket. So a fixed blade is almost a 'back up' too.

Tent. You've got a kid, right? You think you'll both like being wet and cold? (it's ALWAYS bad weather when you least can afford it). Make the kid carry the poles or something to help distribute the weight.

I'd ditch the mess kit if it's that old Boy Scout type (2 plates, tray, etc). Really, just something to boil water in, and something to eat with. You can eat out of the pot. Maybe a small plate to share w/ daughter. Aluminum, titanium and plastic are all lighter than stainless, which is what I assume your kit is.

Overall, good start though!
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood... use a twig stove so you don't need to carry fuel... if you need to dig a "cat hole" for a latrine, use a pointed stick

replace the band aids with larger (that can be cut down) telfa non stick pads and self adhering tape... it has more utility

a GI poncho with mosquito netting and closed cell pad might have more utility than a tent

a water filter so you can process more water, and not have to rely entirely on a finite number of purification tabs

a "push along" heavy tire bicycle or Mormon push cart to transport your daughter

I like these ideas. A slight variation on the Mormon cart is the commonly available, lightweight, and collapsible deer cart. You can haul a person or a hundred pounds of gear wrapped and strapped easily overland with one of these, and it will fold up and fit in the corner of a car trunk. They make some with an additonal loop on one end as a handle extension. I wished I would have seen that model sooner. I'm making a loop from EMT and a pipe bender. I paid about $45 for mine at SG.

Four hundred miles is a daunting trek and, depending on the disaster, what assurances do you have that there will still be shelter there? A suggestion is to get a road map and draw a circle about 20 miles wide around your location. Contact the towns within it, and make a list of their emergency shelters. You would then be covered for whatever direction you needed to go, based on the scenario.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 01:53 PM

A fixed blade knife,if concealed,may be a seriously illegal knife?Make sure its in a sheath externally visible,Calif has some very restrictive knife laws,so here weve chosen folders.Im no expert re: laws,so thats why weve erred towards staying away of fixed blades in our neck of the woods.

Me,personally,likes .22 weapons a lot the ammo is very light and I doubt anyone is going to challenge you (Hey,is that a 22? Cool,In Im a coming! I doubt you will have that conversation with most you will meet.)We just did some quick firing at 50 and 100 yards with the 22,2/3rds easily would have been heart shot accurate.Not a 44/45 or 12 ga knockdown,but hardly a slouch,esp depending on shot placement which always makes a huge difference.IMO,FWIW,carry your fav weapon is what I think everyone should do.ANY beats none by a huge margin.

I like the bicycle/cart idea.The Vietnamese moved a ton of cargo down the Ho Chi Mihn (sp) trail with bikes.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 02:11 PM

Some sort of wagon or sled could be a good alternative to hauling all that weight and your child.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 03:30 PM

ByrdHuntr... like the idea of the deer cart... was thinking along the lines of a jogging stroller... many of the 3gun shooters use them... would be great, especially the "twins" versions, and might give you a seat to get off the ground, and cover with a tarp/poncho

Spuds... by the time I got to work the Ho Chi Minh trail intercept mission in 72 it was a 2 lane blacktop, but we had a picture of "Uncle Ho" pushing a 100kg load of rice to show the resiliency and determination of who we were dealing with...

a bicycle is part of my plan, but I don't plan on moving more than 10miles to the mangrove swamp area of the Gulf of Mexico...lots of little fishies there...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 06:58 PM

Krista, the one thing I don't see is a clear statement of the critical situations that would leave you no option but to bug out. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

IMHO, these scenarios must be the basis of your bug-out plan and the gear you choose. You may also discover that making preparations for sheltering in place may be a much more practical approach.

My 2c.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 09:26 PM

I don't want to sound too negative, but it is time for a reality check. A 400 miles self contained foot march is about 2-3 times further than what you would expect from military Special Forces on good flat terrain in good ambient temperate weather conditions.

Individual MREs only have around 1200-1300 Kcal in total. Individual entrées when stripped from the MRE package may only contain 300-400 Kcal. Complete MREs are heavy weighing an average of 1.7 lbs each. They are only really useful for a mechanised military! wink

Even bicycling for someone who is unconditioned may struggle to get 30-40 LSD miles per day. 400 miles on a bicycle + Childrens trailer could become a 10-12 day trip requiring at least a minimum 20-25 MREs.

An Electric Bicycle retrofit conversion wheel/kit or Electric Bicycle and a Powerfilm F15-3600 60w Folding Solar Panel or two could help considerably with the effort in good sunny weather on flat roads but this would be quite an expensive solution.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/10/12 09:35 PM

I highly recommend reading this site about disaster planning and bugging out plans. This was written by a Katrina survivor. It was recommended by another member here a few weeks ago.

Listening to Katrina

What I found most valuable was the three plans: 60 second plan, 1 hour plan, and 12 hour plan. You will be interested in all the discussions about kids including the neat ID necklace idea.

The BOB section is here: BOB 1

The author has a unique perspective having been through a large disaster and not being properly prepared.

It is probably more than 30 pages, but you can skip some of the political discussion sections. And don't try to read it all at once.

There is a lot of great information on this site. I suggest bookmarking it as a reference. I find myself returning often.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/11/12 02:41 AM

So many great responses and so much great advice, I’ve had to spend the day trying to figure out where to start in my reply back!

First, I’ve learned a huge variety of things from each of you, so you have all helped me in your own ways and I appreciate that!

@AndrewDS: I have no idea what a micro jimmy bar and an LED wand are. Harry Potter-esque flashlight? ☺

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood...

Agreed 100% on the shovel. My husband seemed to think I would need it... me, not so much. I'll probably tell him to put it in his bag if he wants it so bad!

I also like the idea of a water filter, it's one of those purchases I have been putting off... and the cart idea is a great idea considering my distance challenge.

@Stephen: Thank you for your thorough post! I agree, I had not really considered that small game wouldn’t be as plentiful as I imagine. And yours (and everyone’s) concerns about the stamina and endurance needed for such a track is very much noted, and I will be hard at work on an alternative. Ideally, I’ll have my vehicle!

@Burncycle: Your entire post resonated with me, so I won’t quote it all here. I especially like the idea of a prepaid phone for my daughter, I think they even make them these days especially for the youngest children so that they can only make calls to certain numbers like mom or 911. That just moved up my priority list. I also appreciate your thoughts on tents with mosquito netting, that sounds like just the thing I need.

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Krista

Check You tube and search for ( Homemade MRE's ) They show you how to assemble yourr own MRE's from common foods in the market. This is especially imprtant for your kid. Even for you I guess it is better to eat foods you already have tried and liked. Survival times are not the best times to try something new.

Also, the firelighters ( Green Box ) are like a dozen giant matches. If your "bug out" trip takes many days , these will not be enough. Keep in mind that a dozen may in fact mean half a dozen because some of them may be blown out due to wind or rain. Add some lighters and/or waterproof matches. They will increase your chances of starting fires without adding much weight.

Try to make more hoemade stuff and add to the BOB. Examples like cotton balls soaked in vaselene ( there are You tubes on how to make them , real easy ) and homemade MRE's ..etc. This minimizes the cost and adds more "feel" and experience while you make them .

Also, take some weekends with your daughter to test or practice "bugging out" even in your own backyard ( setting shelter, starting fire, cooking dinner on a stove ..etc. ). These weekends will show you first hand what problems you will face personally or what problems may face your daughter or dog

Think and plan for possibilies of being separated from the dog or the daugher. ( What if ?) Train her to some strategy . Think about giving her a whistle just in case. Experts here can debate whether it is a good idea to make a necklace for her whistle or that maybe a choke hazard.

In her bag or pack , put full contact info with your phone # and any other relative in your destination.

Thank you Chisel! I loved your post. I did check on the homemade MRE’s, and I am definitely gonna start doing these. My kid loves MREs, but I hate them, so this is actually ideal for me!
I also checked out the Vaseline cotton balls on youtube, and I was amazed at how quickly they ignite and are used for a building a fire. I mean, I guess it’s common sense, but I would have never thought of it. I’ll be ditching those firelighter things to fireplace duty. My daughter has a whistle, and I have been teaching her to hug a tree and blow the crap out of the whistle!

@All- A lot of you didn’t like the MREs, except Jac. My intention with these was to have enough to get us through the first few days, and then rely on hunting/foraging. They are definitely heavy, so I see the areas of complaints with them. For now, I have reduced to 4 of them (2 for each of us), and I will be working on making my own MRE’s.

@BackpackJac: Extra clothes are in the works, as we get the new school clothes for daughter we will be adding extras for the bobs. ☺ Gives me an excuse to shop for myself at the same time! My daughter loves being involved. She’s been helping me choose the comfort things for her bag, and she gets so excited when I let her blow her “I’m Lost” whistle as loud as she wanted INSIDE! Also, by your and chisel’s suggestion, I am already planning a one night camping trip at a local campsite so we can have lots of fun and work on skills at the same time. I love that kids never realize that they’re learning!

Originally Posted By: LED
Hi Krista. Thanks for sharing your BOB contents! Its a brave thing opening yourself up for constructive critique. smile

My only suggestions would be plenty of emergency cash, at least 1 credit card, and a printed list of phone #'s and address of friends and family. And of course the usual car maintenance items: jumper cables, 12V air pump, spare tire w/jack, etc. And maybe even a CB radio.

It's definitely not easy, but I really like this site because people seem to genuinely enjoy helping one another, not bashing or anything. smile
Thanks for your suggestions. My truck has a basic kit with the items you mentioned except the cb radio. I don't know what the air pump is for (tires?) but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those. I'll check into it.

@chaosmagnet: The water purification tables are the chlorine dioxide. I had the iodine ones, but someone here told me they taste gross, so they got relegated to my husband’s kit. wink

The lights are not LED, I will however see about upgrading as I go. I’m keeping a running list after this thread.

@JBMAT- Toilet paper, yes!

Originally Posted By: MDinana
OK, my 2 cents ...

I think the people above have great advice. That pack is OK, IF it fits you well.

Plan for 1 day of rest every 5-7 days of hiking - you'll need it!

FAK - adequate. I like more, but I'm biased. You'll probably be OK. Add some duct or medical tape, and some more gauze, and some more moleskin or molefoam.

How much ammo? I wouldn't take more than 3 mags of .40, or more than 100 rds of .22, but that's just me. You're eating, not fighting a war.

Knife - Mora's are cheap, light and relatively good quality. Not to mention you already have a blade on the Gerber and apparently in your pocket. So a fixed blade is almost a 'back up' too.

Tent. You've got a kid, right? You think you'll both like being wet and cold? (it's ALWAYS bad weather when you least can afford it). Make the kid carry the poles or something to help distribute the weight.

Overall, good start though!

Thank you! I think I will be trying out several different bags. I figure the only way to know for sure if it's the right back is to load it up and get out in it!

I'm a little nervous about the fixed blade knife... I'm afraid I'd do something stupid like fall on it! Not much ammo. The magazine that's in it and a spare. Like you said, surviving, not war.I've been looking online at the ultralight 2-man backpacker's tents. Any thoughts on those? I'm hoping to take some sort of first aid class as soon as they offer one in the area at a time that works for me, I figure I can improve my first aid kit then. Why have a bunch of stuff I don't know how to use?

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Krista, the one thing I don't see is a clear statement of the critical situations that would leave you no option but to bug out. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

IMHO, these scenarios must be the basis of your bug-out plan and the gear you choose. You may also discover that making preparations for sheltering in place may be a much more practical approach.

My 2c.

You didn't miss the clear statement, I did not make one. I guess you could call this the "big stinky crud has really splattered all over the place bag". I have a get home bag in my car, and I have an overnight/weekend bag that I could live out of if I had too. This bag is meant to be sort of more all encompassing...

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I don't want to sound too negative, but it is time for a reality check.

It's not negative, it's helpful! I do realize that the odds in that long distance type of bug out are crazy against me.

The flaws of MREs have been pointed out, and I can definitely work on a better solution! I wasn't really planning to try to carry enough food for the whole trip... just enough to get through the first "oh my god this sucks" few days. smile

Thank you for your very mechanical suggestions, I will research them, but they are at the bottom of my list! Bugging IN is my primary plan. smile

@treeseeker: Thank you for the Katrina link, it’s moved to my Reading List! ☺

LASTLY TO ALL: What is the proper etiquette here for responding to so many people? Is it try to put them all in one like I just did, or what it have been better for me to reply individually? Sorry if this was a strain on the eyes, I wanted to reply to each of you because you’ve been so incredibly helpful!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/11/12 04:09 AM

The etiquette is to respond in a way that makes sense to you. Mission accomplished. I hope we were helpful.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/11/12 10:57 AM

I second Chaosmagnet's opinion. You did a perfect job of replying to a LOT of posts at once. smile
Posted by: frediver

Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, - 08/11/12 09:04 PM

IMO
Considering a 400mi. trip with your daughter and not your husband??
Will you be packing everything, can your daughter pack anything?

No way that you will make the trip without re-supply. I would suggest two
re-supply points at a minimum. Can you locate cache points now and stash
some water, food, fuel, socks etc. I am thinking this trip will take at least 3 weeks
but more like 4.

Don't pack more than 2 MRE's total. For a bug out IMO they are ideal, almost a survival
kit in there own right it sucks that they weigh so much. You need to switch to FD food.
FD is not as bad or expensive as you think, just be selective on purchases. I Like Chili Mac, it's not to spicy, a 2 person meal for $6.00. Most of the meals for my taste are a bit saucy so I also add extra instant rice to "help" and bulk them up. Instant oatmeal is another standby, so are oatmeal cookies, trail mix, nuts, etc. etc.
Trail menu's can take an entire thread.
Check Wal-Mart and REI Outlet for food deals.
Still for 400mi. no way will you be able to pack enough.

On the gear:
I would drop the folding shovel and use a garden or folding trowel, heck even a GI mess kit spoon makes a good shovel.
Forget the flashlight and switch to keyring lights and keep the headlamp or just use only the headlamps. Still nice to have one keychain light on a easy to find zipper tho.
Those firestarter matches are handy but do you need that many? Only use them in a real emergency, not just cuz you want a fire bcuz you need a fire!
Collins Gem is a nice survival guide about 1/4 the size of what you have . Is it as good,
only you can decide.
Forget the mess kit and switch to a small coffee can HD rubbermade containers 1 or 2 cup size storage bowls with snap on lids for use as cups, bowls or storage. Having a small
plastic measuring cup is handy and only weigh's an extra oz.
For a knife perhaps a SAK Rucksak or slightly smaller Camper, both have saws.
You need to add a sleeping pad (s). to your list.
A Tarp is more versatile than a tent, and I happen to like sq. cut sleeping bags bcuz they can be used as a bag or blanket.
A stove will be tough, you need fuel and lots of it for 400mi. If using a lp gas stove
I would guess a min. of 4 1lb cans, ie 1 per week. IF using a liquid fuel stove plan on a min. of 3/4 gal 1 gal more likely. Either type of fuel will be more than you want to carry. I personally can get by with a full Svea stove + 1.5 pts. for a week.
Perhaps a Emberlit stove could work for you, still it weights 11oz

And lastly don't forget that pack weights 6 pounds empty, perhaps consider a different
pack down the road. A HD pack can be had that is under 4pounds, save that 2 pounds for supplies.

And the list can go on and on.

Almost forgot, don't forget to pack a few HD trash bags, they have to many uses to list.
Shelter, rain cover, wind protection, storage are just a few of them. At least 1ea and one spare.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/11/12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: spuds

If you're in a situation where you have to walk 400 miles to find safety, I don't think pepper spray is going to do much for you in the way of defense. That stuff barely works (if at all) when you can quickly spray an attacker and then run for help and call the police. That's not going to be the case in the scenario described. I would take an extra loaded mag for the .40 over some pepper spray. The .40 should be in a holster on your hip too, not buried in the backpack.

Actually, I think the OP has done a lot of good thinking and researching on the BOB. Planning to walk 400 miles is maybe a bit over the top in terms of realistic expectations though. Especially with a 6 year old.

Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, - 08/11/12 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: frediver
IMO
Considering a 400mi. trip with your daughter and not your husband??
Will you be packing everything, can your daughter pack anything?

No way that you will make the trip without re-supply. I would suggest two
re-supply points at a minimum. Can you locate cache points now and stash
some water, food, fuel, socks etc. I am thinking this trip will take at least 3 weeks
but more like 4.

Don't pack more than 2 MRE's total. For a bug out IMO they are ideal, almost a survival
kit in there own right it sucks that they weigh so much. You need to switch to FD food.
FD is not as bad or expensive as you think, just be selective on purchases. I Like Chili Mac, it's not to spicy, a 2 person meal for $6.00. Most of the meals for my taste are a bit saucy so I also add extra instant rice to "help" and bulk them up. Instant oatmeal is another standby, so are oatmeal cookies, trail mix, nuts, etc. etc.
Trail menu's can take an entire thread.
Check Wal-Mart and REI Outlet for food deals.
Still for 400mi. no way will you be able to pack enough.

On the gear:
I would drop the folding shovel and use a garden or folding trowel, heck even a GI mess kit spoon makes a good shovel.
Forget the flashlight and switch to keyring lights and keep the headlamp or just use only the headlamps. Still nice to have one keychain light on a easy to find zipper tho.
Those firestarter matches are handy but do you need that many? Only use them in a real emergency, not just cuz you want a fire bcuz you need a fire!
Collins Gem is a nice survival guide about 1/4 the size of what you have . Is it as good,
only you can decide.
Forget the mess kit and switch to a small coffee can HD rubbermade containers 1 or 2 cup size storage bowls with snap on lids for use as cups, bowls or storage. Having a small
plastic measuring cup is handy and only weigh's an extra oz.
For a knife perhaps a SAK Rucksak or slightly smaller Camper, both have saws.
You need to add a sleeping pad (s). to your list.
A Tarp is more versatile than a tent, and I happen to like sq. cut sleeping bags bcuz they can be used as a bag or blanket.
A stove will be tough, you need fuel and lots of it for 400mi. If using a lp gas stove
I would guess a min. of 4 1lb cans, ie 1 per week. IF using a liquid fuel stove plan on a min. of 3/4 gal 1 gal more likely. Either type of fuel will be more than you want to carry. I personally can get by with a full Svea stove + 1.5 pts. for a week.
Perhaps a Emberlit stove could work for you, still it weights 11oz

And lastly don't forget that pack weights 6 pounds empty, perhaps consider a different
pack down the road. A HD pack can be had that is under 4pounds, save that 2 pounds for supplies.

And the list can go on and on.

Almost forgot, don't forget to pack a few HD trash bags, they have to many uses to list.
Shelter, rain cover, wind protection, storage are just a few of them. At least 1ea and one spare.

You gave me some great advice here!

First, I'd like to clarify: I do NOT plan on ditching my hubby!!! LOL> He is in the military and often away in other countries for months at a time. I'm working on my plan for if SHTF while he is not here. There is a different plan in place if something terrible occurred while he is home.

The caches are a great idea, I will definitely do my homework to see if this is something I can accomplish.

Originally Posted By: haertig

If you're in a situation where you have to walk 400 miles to find safety, I don't think pepper spray is going to do much for you in the way of defense. That stuff barely works (if at all) when you can quickly spray an attacker and then run for help and call the police. That's not going to be the case in the scenario described. I would take an extra loaded mag for the .40 over some pepper spray. The .40 should be in a holster on your hip too, not buried in the backpack.

Actually, I think the OP has done a lot of good thinking and researching on the BOB. Planning to walk 400 miles is maybe a bit over the top in terms of realistic expectations though. Especially with a 6 year old.

The .40's always on my hip! smile

I appreciate your comment, I really have put a lot of thought into the contents and the challenge, even if it might not seem that way at first glance. So thanks for noticing! smile

Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, - 08/12/12 02:14 PM

If you are including a lengthy hike in your possible scenarios, you should explore the techniques developed by thru hiker, the sort of folk who do the length of the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, or the pacific Crest Trail. Such walkers typically cover 20-30 miles a day, resupplying at intervals of about one week. Their gear is streamlined, multi-use, and extraordinarily light. They also are in very good physical condition,so keep hiking - that will be tremendously important.

Hopefully none of this will ever be necessary, but if it does come to pass, let's hope your daughter is closer to sixteen than to six, so she can say, "Gosh, Mom, you look tired - let me carry your pack for a while."
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/12/12 02:40 PM

Krista, if you're husband's military, you might want to talk to his command and see what plans they have in place to help the dependents if needed. Some places might be well-planned, others might be utterly lacking.

Re: knives - guns are typically much more complex. If you can handle a .40 compact, I'm sure the knife will be fine. The big downside of a Mora knife is that it's typically smooth handled, but they make some with a decent finger guard at the pommel. Ragnar's has a good selection (google him, yes, it's spelled correctly).

Food. Definitely second freeze dried, vice MRE's. Or, at least keep FD for the "sit-down" meals, ie, dinner. MRE or similar for lunch is OK. Pick your poison for breakfast - I used to do just instant oatmeal, grits or a power bar when I was camping a lot. Maybe consider a small fishing pole and kit. Fish would be a nice change of pace, and sometimes you can cut back a few pounds if you catch enough to feed yourself. Remember though, if you're bugging out, so is half the state...

Ultralight tents. No real preference or experience. I have a REI 1-person tent that I love. Probably most of the big name stuff will be fine. North Face, REI, Marmot, Outdoor Hardwear. You might want to find a good ultra-light forum and lurk for a few weeks before you purchase some of the bigger items, like tent, water filter, even a pack.

Clothes: Just make sure that you dedicate a lot of good quality, synthetics for you and your kid. I'd consider 3 pairs of underwear for each (kid's potty trained, I hope?) and 6 pairs of socks. You can rinse/dry as you filter water.

Regarding feminine hygiene. Don't know how many you packed, but if you're truly going to go 400 miles, I'd consider packing enough for 2 cycles. Murphy's law says it'll come twice, just to screw with you. On the other hand, biology sometimes will keep Aunt Flo away under an increased exercise burden... things to consider.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 02:35 AM

There has been mention of using a bike as transport. Like anything else, the body has to be conditioned for such endeavors.

The reason I say this is because after a few years of only, short mountain bike rides, I am getting back in longer distance riding and found that although I am in good physical condition, this did not initially translate to good bike riding condition. It has taken pretty much the whole summer of part time riding to get to the point that 30-35 miles in a few hours time and in very varied terrain (uphill/downhill, pavement, gravel/dirt trails) is now achievable without suffering with sore legs, sore butt, numb hands etc. To ramp up to perhaps double that distance or more per day will take awhile yet. And I would think that for anyone considering using a bike as a vehicle under your scenario that they really get out on the bike and get a lot of training miles in.

On the same subject, the weather has peaked here into the high 80's to low 90's F. In the last 2 days of riding, I consumed 4 liters of water each day in a relative short riding distance. The OP probably lives in a much hooter summer environment and needs to consider that daily water consumption on longer riding days can possibly be 2-4x higher for one or more people. That is a lot of water to plan for and refill as you go. This means having multiple methods of water filtration and treatment such as a Katadyn filter and plenty of water treatment tablets such as Aquatabs or Micropur.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 02:42 PM

Teslinhiker brings up a very significant issue - whatever mode you might choose for a "bug out" and whatever gear you might select, training and experience are all important. An emergency is no time to be learning new skills and novel procedures.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 03:25 PM

Hi, all.
I'm a lurker newly joined to the group. As such, I won't be posting too often, too much to learn. I do think, Krista, you might consider seeking ways to reduce the weight carried or pulled if you will have a chance to go 400 miles. One thing you might consider is a wood gas stove such as:
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/
Advantages include no need to carry fuel. You simply scavange it up as you walk. It is a home-made item so you can save needed money for things best purchased.
A disadvantage would be heavy rain might make it tough to find fuel,(carry a second means of heat such as heat tabs), and it may smoke depending on design and construction.
Posted by: Fyrediver

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 04:41 PM

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start.

I do have some suggestions as to gear selection that I'll share with you.

Eliminate the firestarters and exchange them with a container of Vaseline impregnated cotton balls. The smallest spark will ignite these "tinder" balls. They're extremely inexpensive and work very well. Add a butane lighter as well. I'm a fan of duplication except when it comes to fire and that I triplicate!

Tent? Perhaps get a good lightweight siltarp and learn to make a variety of shelters out of it? Good ponchos will give you the same ability and provide raingear as well. You can attach two ponchos and make a very comfortable tent quickly. Open and close the hood for ventilation. I've spent many rainy nights in Washington and Germany in a poncho tent and have been very comfy.

I think the MREs have a purpose and that's for cold or quick camp meals. Freeze dried is lighter but you need hot water for most of the entrees. That means fire and that means smoke and light -- which if you're trying to hide could be problematic. You can find lots of quick prep food at your grocery much cheaper than commercial "prepper" food. Consider high calorie & fat food like peanuts.

Water: you'll need a lot more than the bottle you show can hold. Consider a single walled steel bottle: you can boil directly in the bottle. Also, maybe some bag "bottles" like the flat Nalgene or Platypus ones. There are also hose & nipple kits that convert these bottles to hydration inserts. Well worth the money.

I have a small Trangia alcohol stove that uses gasoline alcohol (methanol only!) additive. Smokeless and very compact. You can also easily make an alcohol stove from a two soda cans and a pocket knife. I also have a twig burning stove as mentioned above -- endless fuel.

Extra socks! Keep them in a water proof bag. They're worth their weight in gold when your feet are wet and tired. Also, good boots that are well broken in and waterproofed!

I think in order to cover that distance on foot you'll have to have some sort of wheeled cart. I like the game cart idea but have seen several others on websites of people walking around the world. Certainly your child won't cover that distance easily on foot. Also, make certain your pack truly fits or you'll be miserable in a couple miles.

Finally learn and practice skills! Making improvised shelters, fire, traps, the alcohol stove I mentioned, and so many others. Skills and knowledge are key and are more important than gear.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: JPickett
Hi, all.
I'm a lurker newly joined to the group. As such, I won't be posting too often, too much to learn. I do think, Krista, you might consider seeking ways to reduce the weight carried or pulled if you will have a chance to go 400 miles. One thing you might consider is a wood gas stove such as:
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/

Advantages include no need to carry fuel. You simply scavange it up as you walk. It is a home-made item so you can save needed money for things best purchased.
A disadvantage would be heavy rain might make it tough to find fuel,(carry a second means of heat such as heat tabs), and it may smoke depending on design and construction.

Welcome to the group, JPickett! Don't sell yourself short. This is a great suggestion and well worth consideration!
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/13/12 08:06 PM

"This is a great suggestion "
Thanks, Jac. And take good care of your baby.
My own daughter is 13 weeks along.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/14/12 01:03 AM

I love such threads! So many interesting resources, such enjoyable conversations...

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/14/12 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JPickett
"This is a great suggestion "
Thanks, Jac. And take good care of your baby.
My own daughter is 13 weeks along.

Hee hee! Another future ESTer in the making. Congratulations!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/21/12 01:24 AM

Considering a small person and a small dog; I'd +1 the idea of a basic bicycle and trailer.
Posted by: Andy

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/21/12 02:11 AM

Krista,

A lesson from my recent wilderness first aid class is to carry triangular bandages and rolls of adhesive tape. With those two items you can wrap twisted ankles, support sprained wrists, make splints and treat the kinds of injuries you might face on a long trip. Neither is bulky nor expensive.

Andy
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 08/31/12 08:38 PM

I think it is unlikely you could walk 400 miles carrying that pack with a 6 YO kid and a small dog.

You will end up carrying the kid and the dog and the pack.

Even thinking this is an option suggests to me a lack of realistic expectations.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/01/12 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Even thinking this is an option suggests to me a lack of realistic expectations.

Interesting analysis. Perhaps it's my mushy thinking, but I'm unclear as to your solution regarding the problem at hand.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/01/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Interesting analysis. Perhaps it's my mushy thinking, but I'm unclear as to your solution regarding the problem at hand.

The way the "problem" has been framed there is no viable solution. There is just no way anyone can walk 400 miles carrying a child and a small dog and a heavy pack containing everything all three of them will need.

Regardless of an individual's fitness level, experience, and/or equipment, there is no way that the task being described can be accomplished. Just cannot happen. No amount of gear or advice can make it do-able either.

That suggests to me that it is time to re-evaluate the supposed problem.

Posted by: Dagny

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/02/12 01:59 AM

Krista,

Kudos to you for thinking this through and subjecting your plans and preps to this group. I enjoy the periodic mental exercise of these scenarios. But the more I think of them, the more skeptical I become for my own situation because only an armageddon/TEOTWAWKI would require me to have no option other than walking hundreds of miles. If things get that bad, 90% of us are toast -- violence, starvation, disease, heart attacks... we'd be dropping like flies.

Nevertheless, it comforts me to know that I can buy myself and my dog and some friends, perhaps, a few days if things were ever so dire.

In my Mad Max scenario, I'd have my bikes on my SUV (I have a hitch-rack) and bike trailer and a trailer-stroller on top (I have a Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket), and a couple pair of hiking boots in my vehicle. In fact, I always have a pair of hiking boots in my SUV....

If you're serious about this (obviously you are) then I echo the recommendations of others in this thread to get a bike - and a bike trailer/stroller. The trailer in this photo below is rated to hold 100 pounds (Croozer Dog Trailer). I have another version of this trailer that can also function as a stroller and has a luggage rack. Your child and dog could ride in it when they tired. Put a tarp over it and you could keep your things dry.

You can often find on Craigslist used bike trailers for carrying children. That trailer could also carry gear and/or your pup.

My dog pulls this bike (bikejoring) but I cropped her out of the photo. On the day this photo was taken I not only rode my bike but spent a lot of time walking it - very easy to walk this bike-trailer combo holding the handlebar with one hand and my dog leashed to the bike. You can ride and walk with your backpack or lash it to the top of the trailer. That bag on the back of the bike also carries a fair amount and has two panniers that unfold when the sides are unzipped. You could also put panniers up front. I have this mountain bike for the purpose of bikejoring.

For a bug out scenario you might want a "hybrid" bike with smoother tires. Any bike would be a heck of a lot better than walking. Even if you got just 100 miles out of it, that's better than starting out on foot.

Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. Really would be nice to have the option of putting that in a trailer-stroller.

I have some other gear suggestions I'll list in a subsequent post.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/02/12 02:13 AM

If this were my bug-out bag for walking, these items (and more, of course) would be in it. In fact, many of these items are with me whenever I'm in my car. I also keep a backpack in my car (SUV).

Petzl Zipka Plus 2 (headlamp-wristlamp)
http://www.rei.com/product/829552/petzl-zipka-plus-2-headlamp

Fenix E11 Compact 105 Lumen Flashlight
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-E11-Compact-...;keywords=fenix

Thermarest closed-cell foam sleeping pad
http://www.amazon.com/Therm--Z-Lite-Slee...ords=thermarest

Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner (if it were winter, I'd lug a real sleeping bag)
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43014?feat=1097-GN2&page=cabin-fleece-sleeping-bag

My favorite Mora (it's a close call, love all my Moras)
http://www.amazon.com/Mora-Sweden-Knives...p;keywords=mora

Walking staff or trekking pole
http://www.rei.com/product/830442/leki-wanderfreund-antishock-walking-staff

Tarp
http://www.rei.com/product/798413/blue-poly-tarp-8-x-6

Titanium mug and/or cookset (worth the splurge, in my opinion)
http://www.rei.com/product/668927/snow-peak-titanium-multi-compact-cookset

Titanium wood stove (I'd start with it, might toss after 50 miles...)
http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-Titanium-Hex...nium+wood+stove

Compass (you can certainly find them much cheaper - but I have this one)
http://www.rei.com/product/787189/suunto-mc-2-pro-compass

Firesteel (and a couple Bic lighters and UCO or REI "Stormproof" matche)s
http://firesteel.com/firesteel-survival-with-scraper-and-lanyard/

Nalgene 32oz water bottles (4 of them)
http://www.rei.com/product/402049/nalgene-wide-mouth-loop-top-round-bottle-32-fl-oz

Leatherman (one of the cheaper, lighter models)
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831207-...ords=leatherman

Odds & Ends: cotton balls-petroleum jelly for firestarter, construction and normal big garbage bags (so useful for many things - including lining your pack and for a rain poncho), moleskine (mini note pad) and pen, paracord 550,

Clothes: Marmot Pre-Cip rain parka, Marmot Dri-Clime jacket, hat, long underwear, gloves

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/02/12 03:44 AM

The way the "problem" has been framed there is no viable solution. There is just no way anyone can walk 400 miles carrying a child and a small dog and a heavy pack containing everything all three of them will need.

Regardless of an individual's fitness level, experience, and/or equipment, there is no way that the task being described can be accomplished. Just cannot happen. No amount of gear or advice can make it do-able either.

That suggests to me that it is time to re-evaluate the supposed problem.

"Last resort is to travel to our destination on foot." is the way the OP stated the situation, I believe...Nothing stipulated about needing to be self-contained from the get go.

Your point is quite valid - walking 400 miles would indeed be quite a saga and an enterprise that most of us, certainly me, (and I am an experienced, practiced hiker) would find daunting. But is it impossible to the extent that it should be rejected out of hand? People have walked comparable distances - consider the case of the Mormon handcart pioneers who walked from Illinois to Utah, or, indeed, the majority of the travelers along the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. Even though they did have wagons, most emigrants typically walked alongside.

It is certainly true that you can't walk self-contained for anything like 400 miles. The question is then, "How do you resupply?" The answer to that question is just a bit complex, but it is worth considering.

I am sure that most of us, including the most avid hikers, cyclists, and runners, if faced with the necessity of a 400 mile journey, would rather do it in a day by car rather than y a slower, more cumbersome means of transport. But that doesn't mean you should never consider how you might accomplish such a feat, and what you would need to accomplish it.

I wonder how far people are walking now in Syria?

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/02/12 11:08 AM

I apologies if this has been covered already. Your supplies got a little lost in the "You shouldn't even consider it" sidebar. (I'm not a fan of the "it's impossible" arguement, BYW. You asked for ideas on how to make it work so let's focus on that, shall we? Every problem has a solution, so let's find them!)

I'm thinking about feminine hygene. If you're of the XX construction, you need to make this a priority. Be sure to include these needs in your preps.

*you and your daughter need to be able to clean yourselves daily.
*Water + soap + cloth and/or wipes should be on the list, and enough for a few months at least (your daughter is still young enough not to have to worry about Auntie Flow, but cleanliness is a life-long issue for us, UTI and yeast infections are quite frequent in girls)
*canestin and cranberry pills would be a valuable use of space in your pack for a trek of this length
*reusable pads are an option worth considering once you've got you water supply figured out.
*Tampons without applicators are probably the most pack-friendly
*pack extra underwear for accidents
*throw in some extra garbage bags for laundry and fem product disposal

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/03/12 03:00 PM

I think planning for something that is impossible to accomplish is a waste of time. A fit person with a lot of experience walking long distances that has some means of resupply along the way could walk that kind of distance.

No one could do so carrying a dog and a kid and all the gear and supplies they would need.

Thinking about how one might do so is not a terrible exercise as it will become very clear that it is just not something that is reasonable. It is like people who seem to think that retirement planning is about winning the lottery. There are some people who win the lottery, but as a plan for retirement it just plain sucks.

The problem with the Mormon human powered carts is not that it can't be done, but that the people who did it routinely walked long distances already because it was their primary means of transportation. If you are not walking 5 miles or more several times a week on an ongoing basis, pulling the cart that carries a kid and a dog and gear and supplies is not reasonable either.

It is not like you can go buy such a cart anyway. The people who used these kind of carts had a huge advantage over a single person in that they almost always went out in groups. If a cart broke down they had help fixing it. If they needed to go hunting or foraging for food, there were people who were better at that to do it. They had food preservation skills that made it possible to more or less live off the land, although I kind of suspect that like many who went west, a lot of the meat they ate went with them on the hoof.

I sort of like the bike and trailer idea, but it has its own issues. It is a lot more reasonable to bike 400 miles hauling a dog and kid and gear and supplies in a trailer than it is to walk carrying them on your back. because you can make a lot better time on a bike, you might well be able to carry all the supplies you need. Having done some 20+ mile biking when I was much younger, I can attest to the fact that even though I was on nice paved paths the whole way, I was pooped after 20 miles, and pretty sore the next day. No way I was going to do it again until I made 400 miles. And pulling a trailer behind is a LOT more work. Even so, it is a lot more reasonable than the 400 mile hike if the OP is willing to get a sturdy bike and trailer and start doing 10 miles a day with a 100 pound load in the trailer.

The problem is that the OP never said anything about a bike. The OP planned to walk 400 miles, which just is not possible given the constraints she mentioned. She probably could not get 400 yards carrying the dog, kid, and gear on her back, even forgetting the supplies needed for a 400 mile walk.

Re: Review My BOB Please? - 09/03/12 05:25 PM

This thread has morphed into a discussion of the benefits and objectives of disaster planning. This is good.

Any options will have pluses and negatives. Some, given current situations, will be more or less feasible. Some will be superficially easy (hop in the car and drive 400 miles) and others will be extremely difficult (walk the same distance). Walking is worth considering because it requires little gear, although a lot of ability. It might be worthwhile when the roads are clogged or otherwise unavailable.

One might reason, "Well, I certainly can't walk 400 miles today. What needs to change so that I might?" Obviously, one needs to start walking and training. One needs to acquire lightweight gear and the expertise to use it properly. If one puts forward the effort, the walking option becomes more feasible. If one doesn't, hopefully measures will be taken to improve other options (get a really good vehicle, enhance bug in gear, etc).

Getting fit so that long hikes are possible leads to better fitness in general if that is the option taken. From personal experience, I can testify that this can really help. At one point in my life, I was deeply involved in wilderness SAR. This lead to regular distance running - at first about two miles, and later, to training and running marathons on a regular basis. All this made me much more capable in the field and benefited me in many ways not related to SAR.

The best course is to start for your destination with vehicle, but with the means and capability to shift to bicycle or foot if circumstances change. That way you are truly equipped to survive.

Basically, thoughtful planning and consideration of improbable options can lead to entirely new perspectives and capabilities. The glass is either half full or half empty. Just be sure you check before declaring it to be completely empty.

It should be pointed out, discussing heavy walking along the Oregon Trail and the handcart pioneers, that their option was not at all devoid of risk. It took a lot of time (six months or so) and I understand mortality rates ran around 30% - you would have better odds if you enlisted in the Marines for a tour in Afghanistan.