Deadly Tinder?

Posted by: Anonymous

Deadly Tinder? - 04/17/12 05:50 PM

Recently I built a PSK for a nieghbor in the Boy Scouts. When I opened a bottle of Potable Aqua I encountered the usual oversized wad of packing material. A recent thread on tinder got me to wondering. Could this material be used as tinder for a fire steel? Or is it some synthetic fluff?
More importantly, would it be safe to do so? Would it give of harmful vapors? Any answers, comments or thoughts are welcome, as always. Thanks.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/17/12 06:08 PM

This is just a wild-a$$ guess but it's hard to imagine it being so toxic it couldn't be used safely outdoors...but just as hard to imagine it being better than cotton. Cotton is so cheap as to be almost free and can be treated in many ways.

Still, you've piqued my curiousity. I wonder what it is?

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/17/12 06:26 PM

I was thinking of the close proximity while building the fire. That wad soaks up a lot of iodine while it;s in the bottle. Look how dark the inside of the safety seal gets AFTER the iodine has been filtered by the wad. And assuming you've exhausted all the tinder you have brought and can not aqquire any dry enough to work. Thanks for responding Phadreus.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/17/12 09:58 PM

I save the cotton packing I sometimes get in vitamin bottles and use it for tinder.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/17/12 10:40 PM

I recall sometimes getting synthetic stuff that doesn't burn. I can't remember the products. It's easy enough to tell. Cut a piece and strike a match to it. You're going to have to test it anyway before putting it into a survival kit.

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/19/12 03:34 AM

Thanks Izzy.

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/19/12 03:36 AM

I wouldn't put it in a kit, I was thinking of it as emergency tinder. Thaks Ireckon

Re: Deadly Tinder? - 04/19/12 03:38 AM

Hmm. Not sure what happens to the cotton wadding from the pill bottles around here. Bit of a mystery...