Storm Shelter Re-Think

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/03/12 05:20 PM

i was just looking at the Huffington Post and the slide show of the damage done by the storms.what caught my eye was a photo of a home where not only was the building gone but a small cement block root cellar?furnace room? under the house was open to the sky and looks like it was damaged also.i have in the past suggested that some sort of shelter like that added on or built in would offer protection,i wonder about that now.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/03/12 06:02 PM

Sounds like the covering on the cellar level was not very substantial. I would think that normal flooring wouldnot stand up well to a well developed tornado.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/03/12 09:31 PM

Blast shelters do not work all that well with direct hits either.

You can make yourself less vulnerable but not invulnerable.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/03/12 10:55 PM

Short answer is, if its above grade and not heavy masonry/concrete/heavy steel, its toast in a direct hit. Even masonry needs concrete and rebar in the cells or on the outside.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/03/12 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
You can make yourself less vulnerable but not invulnerable.

A good thing to keep in mind.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/04/12 12:28 AM

It makes me wonder why people dont get diggen? I mean it may be costly to a point but you can always dig dig dig during the off season and it doesnt even have to really be a BIG BIG hole. Then ya just throw somthing in it and cover it up and BAMF shelter?
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/04/12 12:36 AM

I'm looking into the ones from Cozy Caverns right now. Thinking of burying it with concrete over the top.

http://cozycaverns.com/
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/15/12 01:41 PM

That Cozy Cabin looks good.

Be aware that the main exit may become blocked by debris, so consider how you may get out that air vent in an emergency (tools and a ladder).

Also consider taking tools with you so you could bash your way out the main entry (car jack, pry bars, axe, etc)

I imagine you need to site it so that flooding is not a risk either.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/15/12 06:27 PM

While I like the idea of a Cozy Cabin and it would be better than my current storm shelter setup, I'd be leery of having only one way out.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/16/12 12:24 AM

Interesting. The guy that built my house wasn't so crazy after all. We have a room in our basement that has a reinforced concrete ceiling. The only non-concrete surface is the door. I share chaosmagnet's hesitation with using this room. I guess if the house caved in right in front of the door, at least we would still be alive, albeit trapped.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/16/12 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Here in Florida we have our fair share of tornados. A lot of people who build new homes, or are re-doing their current home put in shelters. They're actually above ground. They'll pick an interior room such as a closet or a pantry and make that room a concrete box which is bolted to pylons made of concrete they drive roughly 6-10' into the ground. The ceiling and the walls of the room are around 16" thick rebar saturated concrete with a heavy steel door.

Basically your house blows away, but you're in your shelter fine. Florida's tornados tend to be smaller. Small ones that do about a few hundred yards of damage and then disappear and/or reappear miles away. So I would wonder if a Florida Tornado is less strong than a classic Midwest Tornado. Probably because of all the ones I have seen or heard were EF-2 at the highest.

I've been witness to some tornados in my life. Scariest and most rapidly occurring thing I have ever been part of in my life.

Folk in the tropics (Northern Australia) all tend to go for above ground shelters because the cyclones are typically associated with VERY heavy rains and flooding. It also (can) make it easier to escape debris which can collapse around you.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/16/12 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
That Cozy Cabin looks good.

Be aware that the main exit may become blocked by debris, so consider how you may get out that air vent in an emergency (tools and a ladder).

Also consider taking tools with you so you could bash your way out the main entry (car jack, pry bars, axe, etc)

I imagine you need to site it so that flooding is not a risk either.

My initial plan was just to store food/water in there to last 3 days or so and a couple of air horns to signal for help if you get trapped. I would situate it so it's just out of reach of the house just collapsing on top of it, but not too far to run to. I like the guy's setup with a battery charger, car battery, and battery-operated weather radio in his also.

I could easily wire it up to the house alarm system (my line of work) so nobody gets in during non-emergencies without me knowing.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/16/12 03:37 PM

Bear Den suggests encasing thier shelter in concrete in one of thier older brochures. might help. Most of the shelters I saw in Kansas as a child were made of simple cinder block with a hatch type door.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 03/16/12 03:40 PM

I would suggest hydraulic jacks in addition to the standard tools. I don't like the idea of one way out either.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 04/01/12 02:26 AM

Go to monolithic.com and review their stuff. It is an option. I have no affiliation with the company. I just like their ideas.

Again, standard disclaimer . . .

My $.02
Posted by: Ironwood

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 05/28/12 09:33 PM

I am looking into a bomb/storm shelter underground. We have lots of topography condusive to this, but my issue is TOO much bedrock.

Ironwood
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think - 05/28/12 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ironwood
I am looking into a bomb/storm shelter underground. We have lots of topography condusive to this, but my issue is TOO much bedrock.

Easy way: Excavation company with a blasting license.
Cheap way: Pick axe and breaking bar.
Fun way: Invite Blast to your 4th of July party.