And Now Something Else To Worry About

Posted by: paramedicpete

And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/05/12 08:52 PM

Just when you thought things were calming down, something else to worry about grin:

German Volcano

Pete
Posted by: hikermor

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/05/12 09:16 PM

I would say that is a fairly alarmist article - filler for a slow news day - still you never know. I certainly did not know there was potential for volcanic activity in Germany.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/05/12 09:21 PM

That is fascinating. I had no idea there was a dormant caldera in Europe.

Any Greeks wishing it to erupt?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/05/12 10:46 PM

I learn something new every day here at ETS!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/06/12 01:01 AM

Das Volkano?

Interesting.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/06/12 03:57 AM

I was a Volcano in Hamburg,in the dead of an Icy winter,some many moons ago.It seems Spaten,Jagermeister,& 1/2 a lb. of Stollen conspired against me! sick
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/07/12 06:51 AM

Maybe alarmist, but also true. Although it's pointless to say that an eruption is "due" or "overdue". For the most part there's no schedule of eruptions. The caldera under Yellowstone could be said to "late", but on the other hand there's lots of geological evidence that points to a decline in activity; so the next eruption may not occur for another 1/4-1/3 million years.

There's not a lot of point to trying to prepare for something like that. If the Yellowstone Caldera blows and you're in the Western half of the US, you'll probably die pretty quickly. On the other side you'll die slowly of starvation. It probably wouldn't lead to the extinction of the human race but it would sure put a dent in our population. The last such explosion had our species teetering on the brink...
Posted by: gitnready4it

Re: And Now Something Else To Worry About - 01/15/12 10:35 PM

All the more reason to prepare as much as possible. If nothing else I'll have lots of food and water which I can use and also some cool
gear for camping.