Using a CB in SSB mode

Posted by: Tirec

Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/06/11 08:59 PM

A previous post on using CB's in an emergency has me thinking. I inherited a CB with Single Side Band (SSB) capabilities, but have never used SSB.

I'm a ham, and have used CB's since they also required licenses. Are there common practices/procedures/protocols/courtesies for broadcasting on SSB other than the "Breaker 19" CB type talk?

Any other hints and tips for using SSB would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tirec
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/06/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Tirec
A previous post on using CB's in an emergency has me thinking. I inherited a CB with Single Side Band (SSB) capabilities, but have never used SSB.

I'm a ham, and have used CB's since they also required licenses. Are there common practices/procedures/protocols/courtesies for broadcasting on SSB other than the "Breaker 19" CB type talk?

Any other hints and tips for using SSB would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tirec

I don't know anybody who runs SSB anymore. I did a quick search and could only find two rigs on the market that offer SSB. But back in the day, it was mostly used by CB "DX'ers" who sprinkled Q-codes with the usual CB-speak.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/06/11 11:19 PM

Some, but by no means all, CB radios with SSB capability have been illegally modified to use part of the Ham radio 10 Meter band. If yours has a button marked "private" or for a letter "A" or "B" after one of the legal 40 channels, avoid transmitting with it until you know if it's legal. Hams are really good at DFing illegal transmitters and bringing the FCC in.
Posted by: Tirec

Re: Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/06/11 11:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's an old Realistic TRC-458 base/mobile (ha) without any apparent mods.

CB's are one of my comm modes for getting equipped, so since I have the radio, I thought it would be good if I had at least a little experience using SSB. My other radios aren't SSB equipped.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/07/11 04:50 AM

FWIW, if you get a reasonable amount of trucker traffic on the standard channels on that old CB, you might put the question to them. They're probably more familiar with the gear that guys (and gals) are using. I suspect cell phones have made the SSB channels mostly dead, since cell phones now permit a private (as opposed to semi-private) conversation. And RV-ers travelling in loose groups tend toward FRS. On the other hand, dead radio bands attract off-beat users with their own interests; you never know.

EDIT: This whole conversation reminds me of the Radio Shack catalogues I drooled over as a kid. Wow.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Using a CB in SSB mode - 12/07/11 08:56 AM

SSB 11 metre for unlicensed CB use is just on the verge of being legalised across Europe, the laws were passed in October. The UK is lagging but will fall in line in a couple of years I expect.

Wait a bit and demand for good CB SSB will rise, then put it on Ebay to take advantage of the new enthusiasm.