NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY)

Posted by: TeacherRO

NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/26/11 05:47 PM

Noon Saturday
Posted by: Susan

Re: NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/26/11 08:23 PM

That may encourage people to think they're serious.

Maybe.

Sue
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/26/11 08:28 PM

A friend of mine, who moved to NYC a year ago, is a little freaked. Since they've been there they've had massive snow storms and even a tornado. She says she never expected a hurricane. She's a good Canuck though, she's prepped.
Posted by: Blacktop

Re: NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/26/11 09:33 PM

I love it - you have to evacuate, but by the way, we're closing most of the mass transit services in less than 24 hours. Seeing as how many NY'ers don't have cars, I guess they expect those in low-lying areas to just walk out?
Posted by: gulliamo

Re: NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/28/11 04:13 AM

bacpacjac - If your friend - or anyone else one the forum - needs anything in NYC I'm well supplied and in a pretty secure location. PM me for contact info.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: NYC to shut down transit for Irene ( SUBWAY) - 08/28/11 12:00 PM

Thanks Gulliamo. So far so good. The sun's, the power's on and they've still got lots of supplies. They're used to hunkering down for snow storms and heat-related power failures so they're in good shape.

They're a few floors up so weren't as worried about the water as they were about the wind. Never having been through a hurricane before, they didn't know what to expect. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as anticipated. As I told her this morning, better too much caution then not enough. They were smart about it. Didn't panic and took the best advice available and road it out.