basic tool kit - Home

Posted by: TeacherRO

basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 05:56 PM

Given limited space and budget, whats a good basic home tool kit?
Repairs and emergency fix-up
Posted by: Eugene

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 06:19 PM

Buy one tool at a time as you learn how to use them (If you don't already know). Look for after Christmas and after Fathers day sales.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 06:25 PM

You can get away with nothing more than a flashlight and a good multitool for a lot of things.

For a home setup, I'd start with a flashlight, hammer, screwdrivers and pliers -- slip-joint and longnose both. I think of duct tape as being less of a tool and more of a life essential.

After those minimal basics, a pipe wrench, a crescent wrench, lineman's pliers, and a socket set are super-handy. Big pliers, small needlenose pliers, and more screwdrivers round out the hand tools I use most commonly. A small pry bar can be worth its weight in gold, I'm particularly fond of the 15" Vaughan.

If you're going to buy any power tools at all, buy a high-quality cordless screwdriver with an extra battery; the setup should allow you to charge one battery while working with another. Some of the cordless tool sets out there are very good. A cordless recipro-saw is more useful than a cordless jigsaw. I have a cordless circular saw but usually I'm using the heavy-duty corded model when I need a circular saw. Don't wait to charge and maintain your cordless tool batteries -- get that done before you need to use them. If you can standardize on a single type of cordless battery, you'll be glad you did.

What I've found is that if I know how to do something and I don't have the tools, that's when it's time to go tool shopping. If you don't even know what tools to use, that usually means it's a good time to hire someone who does.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 06:50 PM

I would say this is a good starting point:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933083000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19

Otherwise, I would add a flashlight, regular screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, channel locks, vice grips, and a rechargeable drill/saw combo.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 07:47 PM

I just puchased my first house about 2 years ago, in order of what got used the most:
Measuring tape
Steel ruler or builders square
Pencil
Ratcheting bit driver with interchangeable bits
Flashlight/headlamp
Torpedo level
Stud finder
Utility knife
Claw hammer (14 oz minimum)
Corded drill + short extension cord (cordless is nice, but if you can manage the cord, corded offers more bang for your buck)
6 ft ladder
Jab saw (drywall repairs)
Putty knife (drywall repairs)
Dremel

These only get used rarely for house repair
Cross-cut saw (cutting lumber and shelves)
needle nose pliers
Adjustable crescent wrench (8-10")
Channel lock(8-10")
Socket set
Basin wrench (you don't need one until you really need one. Don't buy until you're replacing faucets)
I also have a B&D jigsaw that is an unmitigated piece of junk.

With the exception of the saws and the power tools, you can get away with the bargain stuff for basic home maintanance. Buy brand name (DeWalt, Bosch, etc) when you're dealing with those.

EDIT: A basic home improvement book.
http://www.homedepot.com/How-To-Books/h_...catalogId=10053
Posted by: bsmith

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
If you're going to buy any power tools at all, buy a high-quality cordless screwdriver with an extra battery; the setup should allow you to charge one battery while working with another. Some of the cordless tool sets out there are very good. A cordless recipro-saw is more useful than a cordless jigsaw. I have a cordless circular saw but usually I'm using the heavy-duty corded model when I need a circular saw. Don't wait to charge and maintain your cordless tool batteries -- get that done before you need to use them. If you can standardize on a single type of cordless battery, you'll be glad you did.
1+ on all of the above.

with rechargeable tools - i learned the hard way. the sears instructions clearly stated (who reads that stuff anyway? well, me now) that the battery should not be stored on the tool as it would apparently continue to discharge slowly. well, i did. there was no other space to store the batteries in the case that the tools came in - so it made sense to store them there. within a couple years both batteries would not hold a charge and i had to buy new ones.

lesson - the cordless are great, just don't store the batteries on the tools. they will hold the charge for surprisingly long time.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 09:42 PM

+1 on the above

I'd like to mention Harbor Freight. Good tools at cheap prices. No, they won't last forever, but at the prices charged, you can afford to replace them now and then. And should you break one, you won't go into spasms of agony because you broke a tool.

Standard disclaimers - no connection other than I spend some bucks there when I can. And always check for coupons for them, often they have great sales.

Another thing. Some companies warranty batteries "for life". The bad part, they stop making some models/batteries and you can't find them for love nor money. My $100 drill on sale now has one functional battery and no way to replace the other dead one. When it goes, back to HF for a $25 replacement.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/13/11 10:43 PM

I like it. Real screwdrivers, needle noses, vice grips, a second wrench, a couple pencils and a note pad, a solar calculator and head lamp should be added, but thats about it IMHO.

And a decent locking jackknife or small fixed blade that you won't mind getting things like caulk on.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Corded drill + short extension cord (cordless is nice, but if you can manage the cord, corded offers more bang for your buck)

I think you nailed it with the recommendation of a corded power tools. Over the years rechargeable batteries have improved but all of them will self-discharge over time and it is not uncommon for cells to flip simply because one cell discharged at a slightly faster rate. The end result is a battery pack that is useless when you try to use it after being in storage for a long time.

I have a half-dozen cordless tools that lack functional batteries around here. The batteries can be repacked with cells, I've done that a few times, but it isn't a DIY job for beginners and the new cells are not cheap. New battery packs are often more expensive buy alone than buying a complete kit with a new tool, two batteries, and a case.

On the other hand I have corded drills that date back to the 70s that are still kicking. I have a circular saw that was new in the early 60s. It has never been serviced and still cuts well. With a corded tool you have consistent power and performance without waiting. You have to have electrical power and a good extension cord is vital but once you have them you have something you can count on.

A simple 500w to 1000w, less than $100, inverter that will hook to a car battery can keep you working when power is out or otherwise unavailable. I have a 700w inverter than runs a 3/8" drill/screw gun, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and 1/2" hammer-drill on small jobs. It lags with a 7-1/4" circular saw on long cuts and hardwood but for regular 2by4s and 1/2" ply it works well enough.

Makita makes a basic 3/8" variable speed drill that does most of what a homeowner might need for about $40. I have bought a few of them as backup units and second drills during commercial projects. They don't have the wrist breaking torque of a heavy-duty unit but they are more than plenty for 90% of DIY use. Add a 25', 14ga extension cord for about $20 and you have a tool that will still work ten or twenty years down the road.

For interior work a 25' extension cord is usually plenty. When the budget allows get a second. Buy commercial grade 14 gauge cords. If money is really tight, it happens, you might get by with short a 16ga cord if the tool isn't too power hungry. Light-up ends are worth the extra cost as they tell you when you have power.

Before buying tools I strongly recommend that you have a garage to store them in. A tool roll, toolbox, or soft-sided tool bag gives you a place to keep your tools. Keep them together and both clean and well oiled and they will last for many years. Without the central storage they wander off, get forgotten, and neglected.

A simple $5 voltage tester, a set of neon lamps with two short leads is worth the price. It will tell you when a circuit is live and what voltage/s are present. Gardner-Bender makes a nice little unit.

A box-cutter is a good tool. Disposable blades are cheap and expendable. I prefer the non-retractable sort, the Stanley 188 is a classic, but you have to keep it in a sheath or use the included guard.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 12:31 AM

I really like a cordless drill. The trick is to check Consumers Reports and follow their recommendations - not all drills are equal. I often grab my drill for quick jobs and not having to mess with extension cords can save a lot of time. OTOH, I ttoally agree with Art about the durability of corded tools. I still use some of my tools of similar vintage and they are great

Of course, there is still another type of cordless drill - the vintage hand powered type. They work well too and present no battery problems....

My rule of thumb is that every significant project yields another tool for my collection.
Posted by: Susan

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 04:04 AM

I can't live without wire cutters, the larger kind. I think they might also be called 'diagonals'. And a 4' metal ruler and a 24" level.

The warranties on the batteries of cordless stuff really is a joke. By the time you need them, they don't make them anymore. Just get a cheap cordless drill/driver and toss it when it dies. Then get another cheap one. I just broke down and bought an 18v cordless Skil drill/driver for $29. It's about a dollar more than the cost of a battery for the old 12v.

Most of my tools last a long time... until my brother uses them. He destroys the power tools and loses the hand tools in the dirt or weeds. I find them months later, a lump of rust. So, if someone wants to borrow your tools, collect a cash deposit of the price of the tool. THAT tends to discourage them!

Sue
Posted by: Paul810

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 05:31 AM

I work in construction and we use Dewalt cordless powertools (specifically their 18v models). From what I've seen these are pretty much the standard of the industry. Some of our Dewalt cordless tools are from 1995 and are still in use today. If I need new batteries for them (I usually get 3-6 years out of a battery), Home Depot, Lowes, and various other stores sell them in a twin-pack for around $110 and have for years now.

I could never see going back to corded tools, even for home use. The good cordless stuff now works just as well and we no longer find ourselves tripping over cords, having to run ridiculously long extension cords, having to deal with cut, tangling, or fraying cords, or needing to run generators or vehicles constantly just to power simple electric handtools. They've made our job significantly less frustrating and a lot safer.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 10:49 AM

The best value I've seen are the kits of tools that bought individually would be several times the price. same for the little boxes of screws nails etc. forget multi tools good as they are this is a home kit.
qjs

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan

The warranties on the batteries of cordless stuff really is a joke. By the time you need them, they don't make them anymore. Just get a cheap cordless drill/driver and toss it when it dies. Then get another cheap one. I just broke down and bought an 18v cordless Skil drill/driver for $29. It's about a dollar more than the cost of a battery for the old 12v.

The battery not being available only applies to the cheap cordless tools, if you buy better ones the barreries are sold for many years.
My father buys the $29 cheap tools and I bought a $99 makita in 1995. 16 years later he had spent $230 on cordelss drills replacing them with another $29 one every couple years and I still had the same $99 one and went out and bought a $29 battery for it around the 10th year so I ended up spending $130 total.

So be careful of the low end stuff, it may cost a little less to buy the tiawan made hammer but when you have to replace it you've just spent more than you would have if you just bought the good brand to start with. That works the same for anything, in laws gave me clothes for Christmas one year that they bought at walmart and the first time I washed them they fell apart. Same with computers, I buy the business model for a little more and don't get a bunch of crap software and they last longer. Spend once for better quality and keep it a lifetime.
If you have relatives that are always borrowing and not returning things buy them a set of the cheap stuff smile
Posted by: Russ

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 01:50 PM

Paul -- I've got 10 years on the single battery that came with my 18V Dewalt cordless drill. It's getting tired though, doesn't hold a charge as long . . I may just stop by Home Depot today.

As for the tools, buy a quality multi-tool and look what it can do -- there's a clue in the answer to that question.

First, a small set of high quality screwdrivers and a good drill would be at the top of my home tool kit list. Followed shortly by pliers (needle-nose, Diagonal Cutting Pliers, Wire Strippers, Tongue and Groove Plier) as required. If you plan on doing plumbing you can start adding Crescent/adjustable and pipe wrenches plus a number of plumbing specific tools. A quality crosscut handsaw should also be on the list as well as a good Pry Bar.

Hammer -- sometimes, but around the house I use a drill with screwdrivers much more often. That said, I've got three different weight framing hammers, two finishing hammers an old ball peen hammer and a rubber mallet; they don't see much use.

My old Porter Cable 6 1/2" circular saw hasn't been off the shelf since I rebuilt the bedroom closets. Great saw, just nothing for it to do here. That said, a Dewalt 6-1/2 in. 18 Volt Cordless could replace it; it takes the same battery as the drill.

Go HERE and start making a list, it adds up quickly.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 02:24 PM

The adjustable channellock type of pliers are handy for plumbing things too.
I got a couple old 5 gallon buckets and have one for electrical tools/parts and one for plumbing tools/parts. That way when I need to do a small project I just grab the whole set. for example last week I had to replace a smoke detector so I just grabbed the bucket which had the wire strippers and wire nuts both.
Posted by: 6pac

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 02:35 PM

I'm still using the same Dewalt 12v drill that I'd been using for 15+ years. They can last if you treat them well.
Posted by: adam2

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 04:52 PM

If you have a 12/14.4/18 volt cordless tool with a dead or missing battery, then with a little ingenuity it can be used with an external 12 volt battery.
The current demand is substantial but easily supplied by a vehicle battery or similar.
At least #10 wire should be used, and not too long.

Not very convienient I grant, but cheap and works in power cuts, and safer in wet conditions than line voltage.
Posted by: Johno

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 05:51 PM

2m Tape measure
10m Tape measure
30cm metal rule

and a good spirit level.

Measure twice cut once.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 06:13 PM

Buy them as you need them if you are on a limited budget. This way you buy what you need, and don't have to "think" you will need it.

-Tape measures at least 3.
-Scissors at least 2.
-Pipe wrenches at least 2. (I like the blue handled quick-adjust ones. They fit most residential pipes, and then get 1 or 2 large ones when you need them.) Good yard sale item to find.
-Tape. Masking, Duct, Electrical. At least 1 of each.
-Screwdriver. Pick up a complete 'set' of craftsmen pro. They cost a little more than standard but the grip is much better especially in the rain.
-Hammers get at least 2 or 3 depending on what you plan to do/type and size.
-Nail pullers. 2 or 3 depending how hard nails you want are to get. THe flat/drywall kind and also the kind you mash with a hammer for removing from decks/etc.
-Cheap multi-LED flashlight to keep in tool kit as utility light.
-Headlamp
-6' or 8' ladder and a 10'+ if you have the need.
-Pen/Pencil
-Drill + Drill bits and misc phillips/square/hex
-Wash buckets or 5g buckets
-Broom
-2-3 crescent wrenches in varying sizes (small->large)
-Needle Nose & Standard Pliers. (I like Knipex high voltage rated)
-Couple pocket knives
-Box Cutter/Razor blade knife
-2 Shovels, Pick Axe
-IF in snow, snow shovel

I like Milwaukee lithium ion batteries/tools. I have almost the complete v28 set and use the tools for everything! For impact driver I don't think you can beat the Hilti 14.4 it's light, the lights are bright, and the batteries literally last longer than any other battery tool I've used!

Depending on your property you may need some pruning tools too.
A wheel barrow, a wagon, a rake, a sawzall, etc.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/14/11 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd W
Depending on your property you may need some pruning tools too.
A wheel barrow, a wagon, a rake, a sawzall, etc.

I forgot about gardening tools. Once again in order of most used to least
Lawnmower
Weedwacker/edger (wire trimmer)
Greens can if your area has a greens collection program
Loppers or hedge trimmers depending on flora
Pushbroom
Leaf/grass rake

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 12:27 AM

In keeping with the "Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies" theme of this sub-forum, what tools might be necessary in a post Natural Disaster or Large-Scale Emergency?

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 12:51 AM

Prybars...Think collapsed buildings (I live in earthquake country). Leather gloves, hard hats, dust masks. Steel toed boots would not be out of place. Special tools for shutting off gas, if necessary in your area.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Prybars...Think collapsed buildings (I live in earthquake country). Leather gloves, hard hats, dust masks. Steel toed boots would not be out of place. Special tools for shutting off gas, if necessary in your area.

Rope, flashlights, and a sturdy knife (sharpened prybar philosophy) and sharpener.

EDIT: Keep the prybar where you can get to it if the house shifts in a quake.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 09:45 AM

Excellent point. I keep one under the bed, and one in the tool shed.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 03:07 PM

Also, Tarps!! Lots of nails, a few hammers, a sledgehammer, tons of TP and paper towels, plastic garbage bags, five gallon buckets for various "functions", and bleach. I have also heard that a pickle bar (car tool) is a good thing to have.

This was covered quite a while ago. I just do not remember when. It was interesting to see what came up.

My $.02
Posted by: Andy

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/15/11 04:55 PM

Here's the link to the earlier thread on this topics Emergency Tools.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/17/11 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Excellent point. I keep one under the bed, and one in the tool shed.

I keep a prybar and two aspirin handy in case my tongue freezes to the snowblower.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/17/11 04:44 PM

Buy a toolbox. Then, buy a tool at a time as you need them. Fill up your toolbox in due time. Here are some basic tools I've acquired over the years: screwdrivers, hammers, mallets, wrenches, Allen wrenches, socket wrenches, pliers, needle nose pliers, tweezers, corded drill, drill bits, duct tape, ruler, electrical tape, measuring tape, epoxy, super glue, leveler.

You could also buy a large set of tools. However, keep in mind you WILL have to deal with lost/misplaced/stolen tools. If you buy a large set of tools, replacing tools can be annoying because you'll have to break the original set. In contrast, if you buy tools individually from the beginning, replacing tools will be uneventful.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/17/11 06:49 PM

Back to the original post...

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Given limited space and budget, whats a good basic home tool kit?
Repairs and emergency fix-up

I don't think the original poster is buying tools to be used regularly in his profession. There's no need for a high-end Dewalt cordless drill. Like me, the original poster will probably use a drill about 2 times per year. With such little usage of a cheap cordless drill, rechargeable batteries will be worthless at the exact time the cordless drill is needed. Based on personal experience as a guy who does NOT use drills for a living, I no longer buy cordless drills.

In contrast, a corded drill always works at full power every single time. A corded drill is also less expensive than a comparable cordless drill. I bought a Black & Decker corded drill for about $25 from Walmart about 3 years ago. It hauls way more ass than any cordless drill in the same price range. If I leave it alone for 20 years, I'm confident it will still work at full power like new. I've never had a problem with finding a power outlet.

A drill is not on my list of survival items. I don't need to go out of my way to make sure I have drilling ability during a power failure. I'll just wait for the power to come back on to finish my drilling project.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/17/11 08:04 PM

My most recent cordless drill, from Sears, holds up quite well under occasional usage. I am a heavy duty occasional user - I think I got it out about four times in 2010. It is worth having more than one means of drilling at hand, though. Don't forget the original cordless drill - any of several crank or ratchet driven hand powered units. Those are really handy - more convenient and quicker than anything electrically powered for the odd hole

.We should not forget that a powered drill, cordless or not, can do much more with the right attachments. It is a really versatile tool, although my wife will not let me scramble eggs with mine.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/17/11 10:05 PM

I have acreage, horses, dogs and fences to contain them---so cordless is a must have for me. I’ve actually had good results with batteries lasting a long time. I do try to make it a habit to remove the battery before putting the tool away.

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/18/11 12:51 PM

Yep, a corded drill is fine for occasional use in the house and within 100' extension cord distance from a wall outlet. Is a 100' extension cord a tool? If you buy a corded drill make sure you buy the 100' accessory.
Posted by: MarkO

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/26/11 12:00 AM

My cordless batteries (DeWalt 18v) go back on their chargers when not in use. Two ready to go when needed!

I've noticed the price of XRP batteries starting to drop now as the LiIon batteries become more mainstream. I've seen them under $100 a pair now online vs. ~$120 at your bigbox stores.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/26/11 11:45 AM

The things that get used most often in our house, by me are:

-flashlight
-screwdrivers, with various heads
-wrench and vice grips
-hammer
-various nails and screws
-duct tape and electrical tape

It's not much but I can open stuff to change batteries, fix stuff by banging or screwing it back together, and hang stuff.

My husnad is much more handy than I am, so he's got a huge array of tools nad gadgets. It all depends on your skill and interest level. I'd rather call a specialist like an electrician or plumber when things go really wrong.
Posted by: Alex

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/26/11 05:47 PM

My most used home handyman tools (concrete building apartment, in no particular order), which I'm considering minimal.
  • Safety glasses (must have!)
  • Compact hammer drill (corded, variable speed) + bits
  • Ryoba saw - amazing performance on wood/plastic
  • Hot glue gun + glue sticks
  • Combination square (with bubble level and steel ruler).
  • Utility knife + blades
  • Hammer (good to have 2 - one with rubber/plastic head)
  • Cordless screwdriver + screw/nut bits (compact, not drill like, but powerful) can be used without a battery too.
  • Portable worklight (DIY, 110V/12V)
  • Pliers (2 pair minimum, large and small)

Supplies always at hands
  • Box of Fix All
  • Duct tape/Electrical tape
  • Assorted screws, nails, washers, and bolts and nuts.
  • Assorted sandpaper
  • Stiff steel wire
  • Soft electrical wire
  • Pieces of 2x4 wood (~ 4 ft long)
  • Pieces of plywood (~ 4 sq.ft)

Notes
  • I'm using my soldering iron quite often too, but that's if you are good enough with electronics (eg wiling to fix a torn charger cord). Add a multimeter then.
  • For my many hobbies the Dremel tool +attachments is a fantastic do it all tool, but it's probably have an unjustified price tag (especially with all bits and attachments). Add wise grips.
  • If you are into basic plumbing you might have to consider some specific tools (most notably large wrenches and sealing supplies). Ah, I see it was covered above.
  • As mentioned above a good long extension cord is very handy. Just don't be fooled by Christmas lights cords.

Posted by: JBMat

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/26/11 06:59 PM

You can never have too many tools. This from a guy who has specialty tools that most don't. Like a tool to remove the element from your water heater. Used it twice, well really once once both elements, may never use it again, but ya never know.

Unlike kitchen tools and survival items - never have a one trick pony - I have some tools that are made to do one thing, but do it well - like a basin wrench.

I have 5 or 6 hammers, one rubber mallet, 2 FUBARs, a socket set, screwdrivers galore, levels, speed squares, pencils, saws, wrenches both sae and metric, and much more. Those are just the hand tools. I also have 6 or 8 books on repairing stuff.

If something breaks on a weekend and I can cobble it back together to last til Monday, at least I saved a weekend service charge.

What do I use the most? The internet when I am doing something for the first time.

Guess working in the hardware section at Homeless Depot was good for the garage tool area.
Posted by: Alex

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/26/11 07:53 PM

IMO, having just basics you should be able to improvise many other tools or simply have the job done, perhaps in a hard way, but done for sure. In fact, that's what ETS is all about, and that's what the subject of this particular topic expects from us I believe.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: basic tool kit - Home - 01/27/11 05:40 PM

A few box's of large framing nails. Never know when you need to board stuff up.