It Never Rains in So-Cal?

Posted by: Dagny

It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 03:00 PM

How are our Californians doing in the rain onslaught?

Any of you in mudslide peril?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...d=moreheadlines

Posted by: dweste

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 03:32 PM

SoCal getting hit hardest so far. Here in the central part of Superior California things wet but okay so far. Lots of welcome wet snow in the Sierras will provide water to fight over in 2011.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 03:52 PM

The forecast calls for possible waterspouts and tornadoes. Now that is just plain wrong. The contract I signed said I would be exposed to earthquakes, but tornadoes belonged in Kansas.

Actually, Ts are recorded very occasionally from SoCal, but they are pretty wimpy, not in the same class as a good righteous midwest twister.....
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 06:27 PM

No mudslides here. The terra is staying firma. Mission Valley is inundated as usual, but I haven't had any problems. The worst I've run into is the storm took out a couple of traffic lights.

I remember going through tornados and waterspounts here years ago. They redistributed some roofs out near Mission Trails Regional Park, but nothing catastrophic. I think even the trailer parks survived.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 08:09 PM

traffic light outage, freeway blockage, road closure-age, all the norm when we get a deluge like this.

commute is not fun but tolerable if just for the fact that the heat wave is over (at least for me).

sure would be nice to get it over with around the end of the year though, days off is no fun when the rain is pouring and you have to drive out for gatherings.
Posted by: Russ

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 09:11 PM

Went for a nice non-optional drive this AM, saw a couple accidents, no fatalities, just folks losing their grip of the road and ending up on the shoulder pointed the wrong direction -- doh!! Not to mean there were no fatalities, but the accidents I saw were relatively minor . . .

A little more rain today and tonight -- clearing tomorrow. .
Posted by: NorCalDennis

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 09:35 PM

California has four seasons: Flood, Mud, Fire, and Earthquake - you get used to it after a while.

In my neck of the nuthouse we had a lot of rain with high winds. We had some roofing material blow off one of our animal shelters, but no real damage.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/22/10 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: NorCalDennis
California has four seasons: Flood, Mud, Fire, and Earthquake - you get used to it after a while.

we used to call it "landslide" instead of mud, but you've got better rhyming.

Typically in that order too. Rain causes mudslide, causes crazy plant growth, leading to fire next fall. Earthquake liberally randomly.

Have they showed the idiot in a storm drain on the TV news yet? Seems to happen with every good storm.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/23/10 01:42 AM

Funny You should mention the Idiot in the Stormdrain!2 days ago,The police found a Mini-Van in Ballona Creek,Upside down,It had 4 occupants inside!I live about 300yds from the creek,There were 4 Choppers hovering over the AO,None were News/Media related,2 were Black-Kiowas,1 Red CoastGuard-Chinook,1 Blue/White-loach police,A whole Company of LAFD,Assorted Fire Vehicles,& A Grip of Black n'Whites,the AO was Cordoned off,with Sheriff deputies in Flakvests,& Shotguns!All this stuff,& it didn't even make the Local Newspaper!Yesterday,the LAFD made a rescue Not 50 yds, from where the Mini Van was found& again nothing in The News ,Whatsoever!The Ballona Creek is a Huge Concrete Channel with aprox.10% Grade,When it Rains in LA,It becomes a Class-4 Rapids of Brown Sludge,that make it's way to The Great Pacific!All that aside,No sight of Tornadic Activity,So far,plenty of trees down though!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/23/10 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Funny You should mention the Idiot in the Stormdrain!2 days ago,The police found a Mini-Van in Ballona Creek,Upside down,It had 4 occupants inside!I live about 300yds from the creek,There were 4 Choppers hovering over the AO,None were News/Media related,2 were Black-Kiowas,1 Red CoastGuard-Chinook,1 Blue/White-loach police,A whole Company of LAFD,Assorted Fire Vehicles,& A Grip of Black n'Whites,the AO was Cordoned off,with Sheriff deputies in Flakvests,& Shotguns!All this stuff,& it didn't even make the Local Newspaper!Yesterday,the LAFD made a rescue Not 50 yds, from where the Mini Van was found& again nothing in The News ,Whatsoever!The Ballona Creek is a Huge Concrete Channel with aprox.10% Grade,When it Rains in LA,It becomes a Class-4 Rapids of Brown Sludge,that make it's way to The Great Pacific!All that aside,No sight of Tornadic Activity,So far,plenty of trees down though!

Rich, you know as well as I do that ALL creeks and rivers in SoCal are concrete channels! wink
Posted by: bsmith

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/23/10 02:01 PM

new skate park up in ojai, dedicated two months ago:

http://www.ojaipost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/skatepark-wet.jpg

yep, that's the handrail going down.

unclogged the drain and all is well.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/23/10 03:57 PM

Ojai will be the world center for underwater skateboarding....
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/24/10 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ojai will be the world center for underwater skateboarding....

You do realize that somebody is going to try it....
Posted by: Susan

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/25/10 04:04 AM

There's a skateboard park in Olympia, WA, that always looks like that in winter. Isn't that how they're supposed to look???

Sue
Posted by: sotto

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/27/10 02:42 AM

I have a new garage addition onto the house, with a large studio space above and alongside. Fortunately, the builders are still here and finishing up, cuz this deluge turned up two substantial leaks, and some of the maple flooring got wet and buckled. They're fixing things. So glad it didn't happen a month after I'd signed off on everything and they'd left.
Posted by: HanzoSteel

Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? - 12/31/10 10:47 PM

This video may be more fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKdrpKzKWM