Third member of the arsenal

Posted by: dweste

Third member of the arsenal - 09/06/10 12:15 PM

I was just given a Stevens, Savage Arms Corporation, Model 15A, bolt action, single-shot, 22 rifle. The barrel stamp / inscription also says it will fire 22 short, long, and long rifle ammunition.

[A Remington Model 870 12 guage pump shotgun, and a GAMO .22 calibre pellet rifle, are the first and second members of my arsenal, respectively.]

No luck so far finding an owner's manual or part diagram of the Model 15A. Previous owner never used the rifle and had gotten it from someone else.

I guess I will follow the steps on the Savage Arms website for dissassmbling and cleaning the gun before doing anything else:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/cleaningrimfirebolt/
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/06/10 01:10 PM

Remember this url http://stevespages.com/ipb-stevens-15.html
Posted by: Russ

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/06/10 03:13 PM

dweste -- Nice rifle for your needs. Get a variety of .22LR as well as some .22Long CB. The CB is very quiet from a rifle length barrel. See which of the .22LR gets you the best groups. Buy a couple bricks of that.

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/06/10 03:13 PM

Nice URL, EMP !

Thanks.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/06/10 04:23 PM

Other than for long term storage where you may want the bore oiled due to a specific environment, rimfire bores don't usually need
a lot of cleaning. A few guns may shoot better clean, some better
fouled.

I like the standard velocity rimfire for accuracy.

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/07/10 10:45 PM

No serial number visible. Apparently none required before the Gun Control Act of 1968. Stevens / Savage Model 15A 22 believed manufactured in the 1950's and 60's. Guns over 50 years old may be "antiques," which effects some registration requirements.

Gun dealer took a look at the rifle and in response to my query about the need for registration said, "No, this old thing just needs to be cleaned, used safely, and kept safely - and remember the only "safety" with this gun is to unload it."
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/07/10 11:27 PM

My late father had this same rifle, taught me to shoot with it. I guess it's mine now, as noone else wants it. I figure if it will shoot anything .22 why not? Need to go pick it up from my sister sometime.
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 12:59 AM

Numrich is a good source for parts and schematics, too:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4405

They stock several parts on old firearms, if you need some.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 01:02 AM

I have a feeling that rim-fire rifle is one that should not be dry-fired. IIRC it messes up the firing pin.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 02:55 AM

A good .22 will serve you well. I bought a new Ruger 10/22 a year or so ago. I put a BSA 4x30 scope on it and can easily hit a dime at 30 yards with it.

I've seen pics from guys who actually hunt deer with a .22. Anything smaller should be a piece of cake with good shot placement.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Wow. Looking at that schematic, I don't think I've ever seen a more simply designed firearm. Only one spring! Simplicity usually means robustness. Buy yourself an extra mainspring or two from Numrich to keep as spares, and that rifle will probably be good for another 500 years.

Now I want one of these Stevens, ... just for it's simplicity!
Posted by: haertig

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
I've seen pics from guys who actually hunt deer with a .22

Probably not legally. Certainly not humanely. But I hear poachers like .22's for their relative quietness (to conceal what they are doing).
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 10:35 AM

In WV a .22 hornet is legal, smallest one you can use. Same as a .22 with a little more powder behind it. I've taken two deer with it.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Third member of the arsenal - 09/08/10 10:52 AM

One guy had pics of a few he'd taken and said every one was taken with one clean shot. I was very doubtful also, but he did have evidence to back up his claims.