North East USA Floods?

Posted by: scafool

North East USA Floods? - 03/14/10 11:06 PM

I was just wondering if any of you are getting any problems yet after the snow and then the rain storms.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 12:00 AM

The river is up where I am. I am not sure where it is in relation to flood stage, but we cannot be far.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 12:14 AM

This is me around 3:45 on my way to my mother's house. Her house is only a couple miles away, I've driven on this road hundreds of times, never seen anything like this. The river next to the road exceeded its banks.

For reference, the town is on the coast of Connecticut.
Posted by: thseng

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 12:26 AM

I drove across northern NJ today, and streams and creeks are running high. A few minor roads were closed. Tomorrow I'll see what the Delaware is like.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 12:53 AM

Don't forget your kayak for the Delaware wink
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 11:28 AM

We had a lot of wind, which was more of a factor than the rain, but the rain really did make a mess of things. Lots of trees down in my area, our power was out for a while, we were on generator for about 24 hours.

River was supposed to come higher than it did - good that it didn't.

Some folks I know had some pretty wild wind damage - a tool shed lifted up and smashed to bits, trees smashing into things, and so on.

I didn't activate my emergency management operations, didn't seem needed, but we were ready to go if needed.

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 11:29 AM

Do this:
Go to this site http://www.weather.gov/ahps/
Look up your address.
That will give you flood crest forecasts. They are handy, we use them in Emergency Management.

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 11:32 AM

You know, we rescued a guy in the Delaware trying to Kayak in one of the major river floods, exactly 10 minutes after we specifically warned him to NOT go in the river. They pulled him out of a tree, and he was all pissy at us for how long it took us to get there.
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 01:24 PM

We were lucky in my town on Long Island - we only lost power for a few minutes. Just to the east of us they had no power for about 24 hours. More concerning to me was that one of the only three bridges off my barrier island was closed for a while due to flooding of the approaches.

Wind was the major problem - a gust was clocked at 75 MPH at JFK Airport not far from me. Trees and branches were down all over, and a few of my neighbors lost parts of their roofs. Not fun.

The tides have been quite high (easterly wind pushed water up against the coast) and the ocean surf REALLY impressive. Luckily, the water is still cold enough that I didn't see any crazy surfers out trying to get a ride.

I was listening to the county police scanner feed Saturday night (hoping to get a heads-up if anything got really bad - it's how I learned of the bridge closing), and they were very busy.

My biggest challenge was figuring out how to entertain two under-four-year-olds for two days while stuck in the house!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 03:28 PM

Our problems won't appear until June when all that snow melt and rainwater gets down here, along with the "June Rise".
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 04:28 PM

Reported death of a woman tring to get home and a missing Firefighter. A potentially unfortunate outcome, if the story holds true, a very sad day:

Missing Firefighter

News- Firefighter Feared Dead

Pete
Posted by: airballrad

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 09:45 PM

I've got some standing puddles in my back yard slowly receding, and I saw some trees uprooted on the drive home from work. Wind was brisk when it moved through here, but not as bad as further up the coast. Ready for some dry sunny weather, though.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 11:07 PM

No power at home 48 hours later. Town apparently doesn't own, or does not have enough "ROAD CLOSED - LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" signs, because there are numerous secondary roads still blocked by trees, but you wouldn't know that until you go 1/2 mile down from the closest intersection. Did see some electrical crews out. Figure restored by Wednesday PM at the earliest.
Posted by: AndrewC

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/15/10 11:09 PM

As much as this is bad for everyone else, the whitewater kayakers are celebrating!

Could you send some of your extra water out to Idaho? We're still quite dry.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/16/10 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Figure restored by Wednesday PM at the earliest.

My figure will be off. Power crews down the street fixing lines. Should have power within the next few hours I would think (there are some other feeder lines down I think ). Actually very surprised.
Posted by: scafool

Re: North East USA Floods? - 03/17/10 01:18 PM

Thanks to everybody for the information.
We had some very minor flooding in south central Ontario.
Most of the rest of the province does not have enough snow to worry about now.
It is so short of snow here I am wondering how bad our forest fire season will be.