Survival uses of "ranger bands"

Posted by: dweste

Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 03:19 AM

Never seen one in the flesh. Aren't these just big, tough rubber bands; sort like sections of inner tube?

What are their survival uses?
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 05:20 AM

Yep, just cut them from an inner tube - different size tubes make for different sized bands

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 07:05 AM

Gear organizers
Posted by: fasteer

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 12:45 PM

Ranger Bands are great gear organizers, esp for paracord, twine, zip-ties, etc.

Somewhere I saw a custom knife-maker that supplies ‘em as additional security for a belt knife – a great idea that I have stolen for my Grohmann.
Just place a RB around the sheath & thread the knife lanyard knot through the RB.
Additional retention but still easy to draw out the knife when you need it.

I plan to try RB with paracord to adapt a kydex neck sheath to belt carry – could be either vertical or horizontal carry.

Motorcycle tubes also great if you want larger diameter RB.
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 07:35 PM

Boy I was so far off the mark, I thought the Army Rangers had some sort of musical group of which I was unaware...Never mind...
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/26/09 09:48 PM

Izzy,

Great tip. Thanks.
Posted by: fasteer

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/27/09 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Boy I was so far off the mark, I thought the Army Rangers had some sort of musical group of which I was unaware...Never mind...

brings up a good question: anybody know how they came to be called ranger bands??

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/27/09 08:53 AM

?Used by Army Rangers?
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/27/09 01:33 PM

"Pig-Monkey" has several well-photographed descriptions of how he uses bicycle inner tubes on Bic lighters and certain knife handles. He credits videos from Dave Canterbury (http://bit.ly/ALzv6) and Dusty (http://bit.ly/8Xbnhz).

Rubberized Bic Lighter:
http://bit.ly/5XRcJ8

Rubberized Mora Handle:
http://bit.ly/7U1yrZ

Mora sheath modifications - firesteel holder:
http://bit.ly/7fCjuZ

Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/27/09 04:05 PM

I first heard of them from Ranger Rick ( survivaloutdoorskills.com ) but it looks like its the name of a product http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_27376_Ranger_Bands.html

Posted by: JohnE

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/27/09 09:57 PM

You guys are way off base. The first known use for a "Ranger Band" was when Clayton Moore used one to keep his mask on.

Carry on...

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 01:03 AM

Quiet down separate pieces of gear that would otherwise click, chime, rattle, wear, rub, etcetera, together.

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 05:34 AM

Cover shiny stuff to reduce your visual profile.

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 10:18 PM

Add a rubber grip to the outside of whatever.
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 10:22 PM

A simple and excellent idea. Now I need a source of used inner tubes.

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
A simple and excellent idea. Now I need a source of used inner tubes.

Bicycle shop?

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 10:46 PM

When wrapped around a container seam: holds top on, creates a grip, more water- and dust-resistant, dull down any flash, creates a "pocket" within which to stow other small items, etc,
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/28/09 10:56 PM

Any cyclist will have plenty.....

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/29/09 03:21 AM

Protect the surface of whatever it is wrapped around [?signal mirror?].

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/29/09 05:21 PM

Fasten splints or 'sister' pieces to reinforce / temporarily repair something thin that is broken.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/30/09 06:16 PM

This is a helpful thread ... I've actually been looking for really big rubber bands for quite a while. They have a lot of useful applications.

I didn't realize these things actually had a name ("Ranger bands"), but I like the idea of just cutting up bicycle inner tubes.

Has anyone also tried slicing the tubular rubber bands that are typically supplied for slingshots or spearguns? Seems like those bands should be available with different amounts of stretch.

other Pete
Posted by: comms

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/31/09 12:11 AM

When using bicycle inner tubes are you implying to use some sort of adhesive like Gorilla glue or Aqua Seal?

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 12/31/09 12:30 AM

I think what people are referring to with the inner tubes is to cut a cross section out of one, not using the length of the tube.

I'm unimpressed with the elasticity of the inner tube bands I've made, I'm going for some industrial strength actual rubber bands from McMaster-Carr. 1/2" in width and available in different lengths in either natural rubber or red. Cheap enough to buy a box and stick into my preps box.

Other possibilities, get some heavy duty elastic banding from a fabric shop and stitch it into loops. Use a decent box type stitch and it'll stretch more and last longer than most rubber bands. Plus it comes in "tacticool stealth black"

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/01/10 02:18 PM

JohnE: Got a McMaster-Carr catalog number for those?

other Pete

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/01/10 09:07 PM

Not handy Pete but if you go to the McMaster-Carr website and enter "rubber bands" in the search window they'll pop right up. They've got a bunch of different sizes, from office type all the way up the scale.

There's only one page of them in the catalog.

I think the inner tube idea is a good one if you need especially wide bands, to do some of the things that dweste has been describing but if you need something with some real elasticity, the 1/2" wide rubber bands are a nice addition.

Posted by: Skimo

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 04:43 AM

Used ranger bands during my stint as a wild land emergency fire fighter.

Balled 'em up tightly at the base of our Pulaskis to make sure they didn't slip out of our grips when we got exhausted.

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 06:50 AM

Pete, and anyone else for that matter.

Here's a couple of McMaster-Carr part numbers for large, heavy duty type rubber bands that work as a nice adjunct to the inner tube-homemade jobbies.

#12205T82 2.5"x.5"
#12205T83 3.5"x.5"
#12205T84 5"x .625"

For anyone not familiar with McMaster-Carr, they are one of if not the best mail/web order sources for all kinds of neat industrial type stuff. From metal stock to first aid supplies they've got it. Their printed catalogues are considered collectable and fetch some high prices on ebay. They ship incredibly fast and they have no minimum order, you can order one item or a thousand and you don't have to be a business to order from them. I highly recommend bookmarking their website.

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 12:58 PM

JohnE: Thanks! I didn't want to seem like I was lazy ... it's just that the McMaster-Carr catalog has a ton of stuff. This particular suggestion is very helpful, because I was searching around on the Internet some time ago for large-size rubber bands and just couldn't find a good source.

I am still going to experiment with cutting up bicycle inner tubes ... but mostly because it's in the spirit of this forum i.e. being resourceful.

thanks,
other Pete

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 07:07 PM

No worries, yeah they've got an imposing amount of stuff in their catalogues.

Like I think I wrote earlier, the inner tubes work but they don't have a lot of elasticity to them, they're very good if you need a band that's really wide and that you can slip over onto whatever. Not so good if you've got to stretch them a lot.

And of course, there are a lot of different sized inner tubes. For what they cost, I'd probably just buy one to fit a "beach cruiser" type tire, you'll have "Ranger Bands" coming out of your ears.

Avoid the thorn resistant type, they're even less elastic and they're only thicker on the top portion which makes them stretch out kinda weird. I like nice, even stretching...;^)

In a similar vein, if you ever need a quick temporary clamp while gluing something up, try wrapping some surgical tubing around it. That stuff stretches for days and it's cheap and reusable. Also makes a handy flexible straw out in the field.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 07:13 PM

Surgical tubing is also great for blowing through to create a draft for starting/coaxing a fire to life. We could start a thread on survival uses of this item...

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Surgical tubing is also great for blowing through to create a draft for starting/coaxing a fire to life. We could start a thread on survival uses of this item...

Do it!
Posted by: Adventureboy

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/02/10 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
[quote=hikermor]Surgical tubing is also great for blowing through to create a draft for starting/coaxing a fire to life. We could start a thread on survival uses of this item...

Surgical tubing isn't so great in the heat..........
adventureboy

p.s. I live in AZ so I know heat.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Survival uses of "ranger bands" - 01/08/10 02:03 AM

A good source for heavy duty rubber bands is in the produce section of the grocery store.Look on the broccoli and asparragus.

BOATMAN
John