Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank

Posted by: Horus

Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/02/09 07:06 PM

I just hooked up a generator to my house. Or, rather, the transfer switch and then tested the generator. It works. Thanks to all those who offered advice on an earlier post about types of generators. But it got me thinking about gas. I've got a little now stored in my shed. And there's obviously some in my suv if I need it, but as far as I can tell it would be VERY DIFFICULT to get this gas out. There's probably a anti-siphon lock, among other features that prevent this.

I did watch a youtube video with a delinquent using a drill pump and very small tubing to circumvent the anti-siphon filter.

Anybody know how to get gasoline out of newer vehicles that doesn't involve siphoning?

Thanks,
John.

Posted by: Blast

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/02/09 07:25 PM

Eugene has some good info on this in this thread.

-Blast
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/02/09 10:33 PM

Drop the gas tank ?

Posted by: T_Co

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 12:01 AM

You could contact the manufacturer and explain that you need to know how to do it for maintenance purposes. I imagine providing model make and year would held. Or try a mechanic familiar with your vehichle.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 12:02 AM

A couple years ago the hose from the gas fill to the tank of my 2002 Hyundai was cut and all the gas drained. I found out when the gas I was trying to pump into the car went all over my shoes.

While not advocating such vandalism, perhaps it sugggests a location to install and inline valve / outlet? I'm thinking you might want to keep this quiet from the manufacturer, your insurer, etcetera.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 02:19 AM

some older vehicles had a 1/4 in. drain plug at the low end of the tank. If you have one of those, Exchange it for a petcock and your problem is solved. smile
Posted by: big_al

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 02:27 AM

[censored]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Pump-Drill-...item5884b85c33.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: big_al
some older vehicles had a 1/4 in. drain plug at the low end of the tank. If you have one of those, Exchange it for a petcock and your problem is solved. smile

I used to drive a service truck that had a small brass valves installed in the two gas tanks. Handy. We used to drain off a bit to kill wasp nests (A couple of ounces of gasoline tossed at the nest drops wasps on contact), for running small equipment like chainsaws or trenchers, and for filling up generators on a work site.

It was also handy for draining water that condenses in the tanks as temperatures swing. Park the truck to the taps are on the low end of the tanks in the evening and when you get there the next morning you drain off the water and sludge that fell out overnight.

If you have frequent call to siphon gas out of a vehicles tank and you happen to drop the tank for service it is easy to drill a hole and install a tube from the top. This can be stuffed down into the tank leaving the plugged end where you can grab it with your hand. Gas on tap. Probably wildly unsafe and certainly a violation of DOT standards but it is a country-boy solution.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 05:28 AM

another approach,

put a Y or a T in the outlet line from the tank on your vehicle, if the outflow is small enough or regulated to a low pressure, you can use the fuel pump to do the pumping. If you have an electric fuel pump you can do this while the key is on and the engine is off, for a mechanical pump it needs to be running first. Word of caution, too much pressure in the outflow will kill the engine/introduce air into the line (rough idle). most fuel pumps put out more pressure than the engine needs, hence the return line. Guess you could redirect the line to your generator tank.

I am sure it is unsafe and would directly influence your insurance premiums but i don't feel i am required to disclose that unless specifically asked, i had to use a variation to empty my tank on an '82 Ford F250, I needed to drop the tank (of course it was full) so i put an inline pump in and used it to fill all of my, and a neighbors, gas cans.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/03/09 01:36 PM

Something you may wish to think about is as your doing this that some of the newer cars have pressurized gas tanks and if the pressure isn't right the "check engine" light will come on.

I would go with the valve or look into adding a hard line solution but nothing that vents open or allows for free flowing air.

Just my two cents
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank - 12/04/09 02:13 PM

You didn't say that you actually tried running a hose into the tank. Try it. I'm not so sure there is such a thing as an anti-siphon lock. If you can run the hose into the tank - you win.

There are some things that help control fumes kicking back which might interfere with running the hose down the fill pipe. There also can be some interesting piping configs for the fill pipe that make a hose tricky to push to where it should go (my car).

Don't assume something won't work unless you've tried it or you have vehicle-specific info from someone you trust.

If you're not a mechanic and able to avoid setting your car and house on fire as you try things- then stop reading here.
--------

Think about it- how can the mechanic remove the fuel from the tank when the vehicle's fuel pump has failed? They have ways which might involve a hand pump or a siphon. (that's the case for my car which had a pump seizure)

A way for the modern car (with electric pump located in the fuel tank) to dump fuel (which is what mechanics use when the car's pump DOES work ) is to open one of the quick-connect fittings under the hood, connect up a hose with matching fitting and route that hose to a gas can. Then find a way to make the fuel pump run continuously. (service manual should explain using either a general purpose diagnostic computer to command it to ON or find a way to supply power to it separately from the usual switched power supply)

I've pumped out an '85 Chevy prior to dropping the fuel tank for a pump change in this way.

My dad has an '85 Suburban (old style fuel pump external to tank). He's added an external electric pump for vapor-lock prevention. It also means he can pump fuel to a gas can as needed by disconnecting one fuel line. Has proven handy for generator fuel supply.