Hurricane Ida

Posted by: wildman800

Hurricane Ida - 11/07/09 08:49 PM

Based on Hurricane Ida's projected path, courtesy of the National Hurricane Tracking Center, I have assumed and completed the preps for HurCon 4.

Tomorrow, I'll check the NHTC's projection and probably go to HurCon 3.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/07/09 09:22 PM

Good luck!

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 01:53 AM

Well, isn't that interesting ... thanks for bringing it up. I was completely unaware that a storm was present. I guess I've been concentrating on other things. Pretty far off but it does bear watching.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 02:33 AM

Looks like a dud to me. Maybe some rain in Fla or Ala but it'd likely to be not much more by the time it gets to land again.

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 06:45 PM

I am now in HurCon 3 and the checklist has been completed,,,,we'll stay put, as in Bugging In, if it comes this way although that is unlikely.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 10:47 PM

I hope so James.

That would be lovely if she just sputtered out in to a quick rainmaker.

Though, going through the motions of preps can expose kinks that would otherwise go unnoticed until it was too late.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 11:07 PM

Any hurricane is good for an excuse to top off supplies like any of us need an excuse. As for Ida, late in the season and the Gulf is starting to cool off. We could use the rain in SOCAL.

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/08/09 11:35 PM

It's looking better for Louisiana every Hurricane Update!!!!

My Hurricane Preps Checklist is up to date.

BTW,,,, why is it that a Hurricane shows up about every other time that my DD1 has surgery scheduled????

edited for additional comments!

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/09/09 01:24 AM

I don't know about you all but the slack hurricane seasons we have had the last few years makes me nervous. Too long without a good scare. People get complacent. Supplies don't get checked. Batteries don't get replaced. The memory of what can happen grows dim. People forget so soon.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/09/09 01:33 AM

"Too long without a good scare. People get complacent."

Here in western WA, we get at least one good wind storm every winter or so. And every single time the warning goes out, the stores are stripped of the usual stuff.

Now, I would like to think that everyone is just adding to what they've already got, but I have the feeling that they dumped or used the last of the supply and are now panicking that a bad one is on the way and they're starting from scratch again. *sigh*

Sue

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/09/09 01:50 PM

This is proving to be a good, boring Drill. Boring is good!!

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/10/09 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
This is proving to be a good, boring Drill. Boring is good!!

That is a point I have tried to get across to people. Boring is a sign things are under control. Boring is good.

Drama, sweating out short rations or supplies, any need to run, heroic action, excitement in general, are all clear signs of things not being under control, of a failure of foresight, planning, preparation, or imagination. Having things planned out so that everything that needs to be done can be accomplished in good time working at a calm, measured pace. When everything gets done without any drama, confusion, or need to rush it is a sign that things are under control. Boring is very good.

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 12:27 AM

Ida is now disipating rapidly. I have reassumed HurCon 5 until either another storm approaches or Dec 1st arrives!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 12:58 AM

Actually, wouldn't that be a wet run?
Posted by: samhain

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 01:01 AM

I hope everything goes ok with your DD1 wildman.

My thoughts are with y'all.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: wildman800
... Boring is good!!

... Boring is good
.... Boring is very good.

Boring is very very good!!!!

I have often heard people say they were dying of boredom, but I have never seen anybody actually die of it.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 03:37 AM

I wouldn't call it boring, I'd call it "routine". Most people have no appreciation for how nice "routine" is, or how much work can be involved in making the response to unusual things routine.

Posted by: Susan

Re: Hurricane Ida - 11/11/09 04:56 AM

Boring is good.

Caution doesn't usually end up costing as much as misplaced complacency.

Sue