Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley?

Posted by: dweste

Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/21/09 05:23 PM

Looking to equip the sailboat galley with appliances. Candidates: cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, oven, water heater, ??

Required feature - must be very small versions.

Preferred feature - uses dual power: shore power electricity (110 volt) plus an onboard fuel (alcohol, white gas, ??).

Will supplement with a small solar cooker, solar water heater, several backpacking stoves, and a barbecue (maybe propane).

Will add some solar and other power generation capability in the future. Have an inverter (12 volt to 110 volt) but would only use in a pretty desperate or profligate situation.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/21/09 06:59 PM

This might look good to you. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=421617
Posted by: MedB

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/21/09 09:57 PM

I assume you have a diesel engine on the boat?

You might want to consider diesel appliances from companies like Wallas et al. There are diesel cooktops, heaters, ovens, and even cooktops that can be used as heaters.

Why? It allows you to have a boat with no dangerous fuels on board. No propane, no gas, etc. Just safe old diesel you already have.

The cooktops are safe, super clean (no internal fumes like propane etc), and long lasting.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/21/09 10:25 PM

I have looked at diesel appliances (stove tops, water heaters, ovens, and space heaters) including those from Wallas. When money is more available I would like to go that way for the reasons you mention. Pretty pricey though ....

For now I need to go cheap, ultimately expendable, but functional within the budget.

Thanks.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/22/09 10:52 AM

Try here for dual power / dual fuel appliances. Camping World

Not affiliated, they just seem to have gotten a lot of my money in the past.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/22/09 12:44 PM

These guys have a good selection of boat oriented appliances. I have never purchased anything from them, but a couple of friends have and didn't have any complaints.

http://www.swego.com/store/pc/home.asp

I have an older model Orego alcohol stove I use on my sailboat. It is better at heating the cabin than cooking on. Its not the hottest or most efficient stove, but safety first.
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Best mini-appliances for sailboat galley? - 04/29/09 01:01 PM

Slighty different take on this. Take a peek at this site.

http://www.atomvoyages.com/

It is written by a guy who has made multiple circumnavigations on a 28 foot sailboat. If you look on the left side, you will see a list of boat projects that he has done. One of them appears to be a nifty little kerosene stove. I'm not sure if that is the kind of thing you are looking for or not.

I've often thought about the parallels between preparedness and sailboats as I have an interest in sailing as well. If you look around enough, there are all kinds of sites that discuss food storage, rain water collection, simple recipes and other things associated with long term sailboat cruising. I think a lot of them could be used for long term preps as well.

Hope that helps.

LW