EDC as 72 hour kit

Posted by: benjammin

EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 07:18 PM

Given the enormity of the kits and shelf supplies for them that I've accumulated, I am wondering what a contrapositive approach to equipping would yield for an outcome. My first thoughts are what does it take to get by for 72 hours of relatively mundane survival conditions (not hanging by fingers from cliff edge, or braving 30 foot storm swells in the Perfect Storm, or hacking off a trapped limb, or being chased by insurgents, zombies, or pot farmers).

Admittedly, I've built much of my big kit on the premise of more is better, within reason. But what do I really have to have just to keep going for three days? Realizing that much of my day to day routine has me either at work or at home, my location kits are virtually limitless in that regard, at least insofar as I can meet all of my essentials and a lot of my basic luxuries with what I've stockpiled already, so discounting the office and the house, I am in transit, either in my car or on the train or afoot.

So with this, my focus is more toward EDC, and in that aspect, I think I have it almost licked, with one big, painful exception. Potable water continues to be the one thing that I cannot find a way to EDC in sufficient quantity for comfortable survival afoot. Depending on the environment I might reasonably expect to find myself in, I would want to have at least 3 gallons bare minimum for a 3 day stint (this assumes I cannot find an alternative source, which negates the need for EDC of the mass, although purification equipment might be needed nonetheless). I just can't see hodding around 3 gallons of water with me everywhere I go. Sure I can keep that in the car easy enough, but the train, or the bus, or walking around in commuter mode just ain't gonna happen.

Anyways, figuring what else I might need to get by, I came up with the following:

EDC - bic lighter, leatherman wave, photon light, the clothes on my back, my leather jacket or similar.

Things I should consider EDCing - some duct tape, an emergency blanket or poncho, my fedora, a pack of tissue or TP, some food, a small FSK.

I used to EDC these things and a lot more up till a couple years ago. I don't know why I quit, other than I moved it out of my shoulder bag and into my BOB for some reason; probably because I moved so much. I am thinking I need to put it all back in the bag and keep it with me again. Oh yeah, I should probably put a DR SRK in there somewhere.

So, other than the water, what else would you consider the bare minimum for a travelling 72 hour kit? Think in terms of true non-emergency necessity.

As a qualifier, I learned in Baghdad(and elk camp et al) that TP is not a luxury item. I found the alternatives wholly unsatisfying. YMMV.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 08:07 PM

No, we can't pack 3 gallons of water. But, given a bottle of water is almost a fashion accessory carrying WHAT WE CAN is the next best strategy.

I have two old plastic military survival flasks in my sportsjackets, a few of the Mylar envelopes in shirt pockets AND the de riquer plastic water bottle in my hand. Since I don't have a cellphone, sometimes I hold it to my ear and talk to myself like the people in the trendy food stores.

And of course, I keep myself hydrated and the one bottle refilled during the day.

An intitial water supply is just like a basic firemaking kit.
It's there to keep us going until we can build a shelter or secure more water.

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 08:18 PM

Plastic water bottles were indeed all the rave in Baghdad. You'd even see the kids we sent over there packing them in hip holders or in the off hand. Sentries inevitably had them stashed on the nearby discharge box or sandbag ledge. Their other big stash was usually a six pack of Red Bull hijacked from the chow hall on the way out the door.

A nice cold 2 liter bottle would last from the gate of our compound to the Terminal at the airport. Even though it wasn't at all necessary, often you'd find yourself "sneaking a drink" regularly, not wanting to take your eyes off scan too long.

Funny how when you are that stressed out, you can go from empty bladder to full inside of half an hour...

Anyways, if you ran out of water over there, all you had to do was ask a soldier where you could get more. They always knew where more water was.

I only wish I could've returned the favor and bought the ones I met a round or two. Unfortunately the Green Zone dried up halfway through my tour, and those soldiers weren't of legal drinking age at the time anyways.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
TP is not a luxury item.

Amen.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 11:40 PM

I surprised that cash, meds, cell phone and a jacket aren't in everyone's edc. ( plus glasses/ contacts for those who need them.)
Posted by: MDinana

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/13/09 11:49 PM

Flashlight. I switch a lot between SF, Fenix, and Connexion. All have low modes around the 40-50 hour mark on one battery.

Knife. This may be on my LM Micra, or a stand-alone.

Cell phone. No charger, as it lasts days even with normal use.

Wallet. There's a small pen in the fold, but otherwise pretty standard carry stuff for a guy.

Really, that's what I carry with me daily. I used to carry a bic, some duct tape, mason's twine, a few tinder-quick and a mag bar, but it just sat on my hip. Right now I have a BSA Hot Spark linked to my Micra, and they're in my rt. front pocket everywhere, with a Surefire E1L in my lt pocket. Sometimes my LM Kick joins the party. I just wrapped 15' of dacron fishing line around another SF, but it's not being carried at the moment.

If you want the water, why not make a Camelback your daily carry? They have a variety of sized packs, from fanny packs up to 3-day backpack. Bladders from 24 (I think) to 100oz. It's not perfect, but a 100oz bladder is almost a gallon, right? Plus it'll shrink a bit in size as you use it, so you won't have a clunky empty container - just a nice rolled one with a hose dangling everywhere. They don't work well in sub-freezing temps I've found, but YMMV.

Posted by: Lono

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 12:18 PM

Strange enough I EDC a pair of surgical gloves, wadded up in a 35 mm film container, the container goes in the pocket of my jacket. Has come in handy a couple times, blood borne pathogens being what they are.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 01:59 PM

I've been building up my EDC over the last 5 or 10 years so I rely on it more and more, and less on other packs. I have some duct tape, 2 lights, a small Leatherman, a small Swiss army knife, a few first aid supplies, paracord, several ways to start a fire, tinder, pen, paper.

I recently found I could keep a thin emergency poncho in my right back pocket (it replaces a bandanna) which makes me feel somewhat more comfortable about shelter.

I don't carry water. I don't drink a lot and don't miss it, and in this country it's easy to acquire elsewhere. I do carry some water purification tablets and a 1 litre plastic bag to carry it in.

I don't carry toilet paper. However, I do have at least 1 other bandanna, which could be cut up and used in extremis. It is a 35x35" piece of silk, so a 5" strip cut from an edge would make 6 or 7 pieces while still leaving the bulk of the bandanna for other purposes.

I also carry a phone, cash, compass in my watch and a whistle, all or any of which may help keep me out of trouble in the first place.
Posted by: Homer

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 04:38 PM

Shelter, maybe a tube tent they are small and light or a light weight but sturdy tarp or poncho. I suspect your greatest threat will be the weather.

Being warm and dry when it is cold and wet, or shaded from a too hot sun is what will make a difference. It will help with your physical needs and keep your morale up.

I was able to put together and EDC type of kit that you are suggesting, in a Maxpedition Jumbo which can also carry a 32 oz water bottle. I have since moved away from that concept but I revisit it often. How are you planing to carry some of the larger extra items?
Posted by: philip

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 05:32 PM

> So, other than the water, what else would you consider the bare minimum
> for a travelling 72 hour kit?

The problem is, it's a weather question. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our winter is laughable as winter, but it rains. In the winter, I'd _have_ to have a rain suit and water proof shoes. In the summer, it never rains, and rain wear would be a total waste of weight. But I'd _need_ that water. So in addition to weather, it's a geography question. What you carry depends on the weather, the climate, and the terrain.

I'm not sure an answer can be given without context.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 05:37 PM

A lot of people on the Swiss Army Knife fan site I go to ( www.sosakonline.com ), me included, have their favorite SAK or another one they like to have as an EDC. Then they clip the things they want on a carabiner which is more than likely connected to the SAK's keyring.

For example, this dude has a small Classic model with a mini-Sharpie, a pill container full of cotton balls for tinder, and a Photon...
Pic

My configuration has a locking-blade SAK, Photon, Fox 40 whistle, ferro rod with striker, a lanyard, and a skull keychain for looks. I usually carry all kinds of junk but I have just this on me today, which I consider minimum, non-emergency, good-anywhere carry. Is this what you had in mind?

As for water, when you say "non-emergency" I automatically assume the nearest drinking fountain, garden hose spigot, or kitchen faucet, and that the water is still on/potable in the first place. Just drink and go, with maybe a Ziploc baggie or a Platypus bottle (I have one but I have to hunt for it, it may not be good anymore) if you needed to transport the H2O...

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/14/09 06:05 PM

Well, as with my PNW youth experience, I would hope that you would normally EDC some sort of rain gear or such. Since part of my EDC back then included footwear, a coat, and a hat or umbrella that kept me more or less dry while walking to/from school, work, or a friend's house. In that respect, a 72 hour kit would at best minimally augment what I would already be carrying, so hopefully I wouldn't feel the need to pack another rainsuit with me all the time. I guess it depends on you MO at the time. Mine always had me outdoors and in it, so trying to keep from getting waterlogged was a common effort.
Posted by: Blast

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/15/09 02:36 AM

I also vote for one of the cheap plastic ponchos.

And Ginger. I always vote for Ginger (there's something about redheads...)

-Blast, after maybe a little too much Maker's Mark. laugh
Posted by: LED

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/15/09 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
I also vote for one of the cheap plastic ponchos.

And Ginger. I always vote for Ginger (there's something about redheads...)

-Blast, after maybe a little too much Maker's Mark. laugh

Ginger? Come on now. Inetlligence, grace, smoking hot, Mrs. Howell had it all!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/15/09 06:40 AM

It was the mole, wasn't it Blast?

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/15/09 11:55 AM

Quote:
It was the mole, wasn't it Blast?

No, a little lower...

-Blast

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/15/09 09:54 PM

Well, Ginger was definitely some good eye candy, but did you ever see how Mary Ann can peel a potato. Oh man!!!
Posted by: jenkinma

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/23/09 05:24 PM

Man,
It didn't take long (or much) to hijack this thread! wink

(and there definitely was "something" about Mary Anne)
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/28/09 02:44 PM

Agreed, With addition of water, food and some insulation ( blanket/ jacket) most edc can become a 72 hour kit.

Posted by: Mike_H

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 04/28/09 03:22 PM

(I'm with Blast on Ginger... Gotta love a redhead)

The suggestion about the camelback was good. Works as a mean of carrying other things without being too large itself (depends on the model you get). Can carry enough water to hopefully get you to the next refill point.
Posted by: RifleWaters

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/04/09 02:39 PM

Bug out bag. Try to take foods that do not take water to prepare, I see so many bug out
bags with things like, instant oatmeal, hot chocolate & soups. The water should be for
drinking & take vitamins & protein bars. I also take a bottle of fiber, not only is
fiber needed but it also swells for a full feeling. I came across what is called
Lifecaps. They are a capsule that has everything needed to survive without food with
the exception of water. It is full of vitamins & minerals plus Iodine. Anyway, you take
three of them a day & drink water. I can actually take enough food in one backpack to
last 6 months because of these little Lifecaps, protein bars, fiber & water. I will run
out of water in a week so I do carry a small filter & a couple of those straw water
filters that filter the water as you suck.
You do not always have the ability or time to heat water to make soup or oatmeal. Anyway,
after I bought 25 bottles I found a coupon code & bought 75 bottles more. The coupon code
is... healthcap It will get you 33% off. There are also sites that have those filter straws
that are cheaper than any of the stores around here. (SLC) I think they are a really good
idea along with some purification pills. I cannot remember the sites off the top of my head
but you can Google for aquamira filter straw. Aquamira is the manufacture but do not buy
off there site because I have found them for almost 1/2 what they want on their own site
on other sites. Good luck, Gods speed & get serious about your bug out bag!
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/04/09 04:51 PM

I would have to disagree with your analysis of the potential benefit of these “Lifecaps” towards providing enough nutrition (along with protein bars and fiber) in a survival situation. The body is essential a biological machine, while vitamins and other supplements may assist in the running of the biological engine (like fuel additives); it is calories (fuel) that make the engine run. A combination of high-quick burring caloric and long-term caloric foods are necessary. The high-quick burning calories provide energy while engaged in high demand activities and for short term thwarting of hypothermia. The slower burning-long term calories provide energy in a slow steady state, so one does not experiences sudden crashes in energy levels.

Just my 2 cents:
Pete
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/04/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Originally Posted By: benjammin
TP is not a luxury item.

Amen.

In my experience, TP is just about the first thing to run out in the early hours or days in a disaster area. Being able to produce some from your personal stash will quickly elevate you to hero status. If you can come up with some Clorox wipes, etc., too, to make the inevitably overused and disgusting available toilets a little more bearable, the ladies will love you.
Posted by: Arney

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/04/09 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Being able to produce some from your personal stash will quickly elevate you to hero status...the ladies will love you.

If only I knew this back in high school!!! grin
Posted by: ironraven

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/04/09 11:23 PM

*giggles* Lifecaps... Yeah... Good luck with that plan.

You've made three posts. All three mention Lifecaps. I smell miscellaneous, mechanically pig and chicken bits in gelatin.

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 05/06/09 01:48 AM

Quote:
IT'S PEOPLE! LIFE CAPS ARE PEOPLE!

No, seriously...I bet they are.

And now Blast has to wipe a mouthful of beer of his screen and keyboard.

-Blast
Posted by: Grahund

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 06/29/09 03:16 AM

Based on the ideas on a similar thread from several months ago, I now carry a couple of maps in my wallet. Two sheets of waterproof paper, with local area maps front and back. Lots of addresses hand written in very small print in the margins. Totally illegible without glasses. Waterproof and after several months in my wallet, no signs of wear. The least useful part of the least useful map is folded to be on the outside.

I know how to get from A to B many different ways using my normal means of transport. After the Big One I'll likely be on foot and normal routes may be off limits for whatever reason. I could carry a GPS, but that's much harder to fit in my wallet. Not what I consider EDC.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 06/29/09 01:23 PM

Ben, consider carrying the small, blue plastic, "water purifier" straw sold by Brigade Quartermasters. What little review of it that is available on the internet is fairly positive. Coupled with a Survival Resources water bag, prefilter, and maybe water pure tabs of your choice, you can have a very lightweight and compact kit.

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 06/29/09 04:53 PM

I have two of those, but not in my EDC. Since 95% of my time is spent in urban, I carry enough water to get me to a reliable source/more equipment. I used to have one of the straws in my EDC, but that was back when work took me to remote locations.

Good call, though.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit - 07/04/09 11:50 AM

As I recall, I have more than once made the claim that if castaway in the woods with a knife, I would work my butt off but I would survive and eventually thrive.

I like your thought/thinking Benjammin. My EDC can certainly help provide for my basic needs for 72 hours.

My EDC on the boat:

Mini-MagLight w/spare bulb

Halyard Clip on Belt w/Ball Cap

Belt Pouch w/Buck 110, Leatherman, 4 spare AA Batteries, Magnesium Fire Starter, Soapstone, Bic Lighter

In my Clothes: Bic Lighter, Magnifying Glass, Pocket Watch, Blood Stone, Ink Pen, Calendar Book, Bandanna, Comb, I.D. Wallet

The only item that I'm missing is some paracord.

Yes, in the woods, I've got enough to gety me through 72 hours of decent weather, somewhat comfortably, although I'd probably lose some weight.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit--WATER - 07/04/09 12:00 PM

Remember my posts: I Spy From My Perch....

We Americans are very careless about handling our waste/trash/garbage. I have not been anywhere in the Eastern US that I didn't find discarded trash that would be useful in a survival situation.

Metal containers that could be used to boil water, rope/line, boards, 5 gal buckets, etc. Then there is all of the natural flora and fauna that will provide shelter, food, warmth, water supplies.

My brain is my most useful survival tool and that is one way that I try to exercise it.
Posted by: comms

Re: EDC as 72 hour kit--WATER - 07/04/09 02:30 PM

That's funny you say that Wildman.

I often look at litter or things I come across in a friends house or garage that is obviously unused and wonder how I could use that in a surival/prepared situation.