Speaking of cast iron...

Posted by: JohnE

Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 09:30 PM

I know that Benjammin will jump in here.

What's the best brand/place to pick up a new cast iron dutch oven?

Want something I can take camping as well as use at home as an "emergency" oven.

Thanks.

JohnE
Posted by: Russ

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 09:39 PM

Don't know if it's the "best", but after checking a couple places. I found the 4 Quart Lodge Dutch Oven at REI to be my best option. It's the same size as a pot we use daily on the stove top so the size is right, and it has feet and a flat lid so it should work well for my camping/contingency needs. Lodge has a bigger 8 qt Dutch Oven available through Amazon; I didn't need one that large.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 10:49 PM

Many hardware and sporting store carry lots of cast iron. Lodge is pretty hard to beat, some even come pre-seasoned now...
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 10:56 PM

Just don't anger your spouse. Cast iron will dent the human skull really well.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 11:07 PM

"...don't anger your spouse..."

Known her 20+ years, together 11+, not an argument yet, so I think I am safe...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 11:20 PM

Lodge is #1 and Wagner is good too. For sizes get 14. You can cook smaller portions in a larger oven. 16" are a whole different animal with different cooking times and heating control.
You will need a small shovel and tongs for your coals and a 'gonch hook' to handle the lid and bale.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/05/09 11:38 PM

I like to have a pan under the coals when I use a dutch oven outdoors. One of the metal oil drain pans from an auto parts store works, or the bottom of one of those $10 table top BBQ's that a lot of stores sell in the summer...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 12:46 AM

Also check the second hand stores. The store by our home always has a good rotating selection of cast iron pans, grills and dutch ovens. The prices are usually a 1/3 of new retail and some of the older cast iron is real heavy and thick...perfect for even heat distribution.
Posted by: jaron3

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 12:49 AM

Griswold is the best but they have been out of business since the 1950's. You can find it on ebay though. Very high quality.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 12:52 AM

I really have no good suggestions about where to get one from except maybe to order it directly from Wagner.

http://www.wagnerware.com/CatMainDetail.asp?Filter=PL&PLine=4&PCat=2

Notice that they call their smaller ones casserole dishes and sell them with glass lids.

Maybe these people here would know better?

http://www.idos.com/

More Useless Information:

The last time I bought one new it was from Wholesale Sports in Edmonton Alberta. It was Lodge.
The one I had before that was from a thrift store. It was Wagner
I had two before that, one of those was a yard-sale antique with the Simpson's (Robert Simpson Company) catalog store logo on the lid and the first one came from a hardware store. I can not remember what brand it was.
All of them were no leg versions with rimmed lids except the Simpson's one which had a domed lid. It still worked fine.
The reason the earlier ones disappeared was that they were sold to antique buyers.

I don't seem to be able to find the flat lid with a rim for the Lodge or Wagner ones any more.

Yet the one I have has that lid and no legs.
No legs means it can be used on a stove.
If I need it up to have fire under it I can set it on rocks, a trivet, a grill or hang it from a tripod or something.

Do not buy an aluminum one ever.
The aluminum ones I tried were really dangerous!
Even worse than the fact they do not hold the heat well is the fact that they are too light to balance the food.
It makes them very tippy and extremely likely to spill.
The last thing you want is to be severly scalded by boiling hot water.

When I buy used cast and want to clean it I put it into the fire and burn all the grease and crud off. After it is cool I brush out the ashes and sand out any rough spots. Then it gets seasoned with oil.
Lard is the best, but almost any cooking oil will do. Wipe a thin layer of oil on it.
The idea is to get the oil soaked into the pores of the cast to seal it, and then keep it almost smoking hot until the oil has polymerized into a tough no-stick surface.
After that you should not scour with abrasives or use detergents in it. Just wipe it clean with a cloth or brush.
Once in a while wipe extra oil on it and let it heat to about 375 degrees (almost smoking) before cooking in it to thicken the seasoning layer.
Posted by: Pondering

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 01:07 AM

I've got a 10" Camp Chef I picked up at one of the big box sporting good stores and a no-name 12" I picked up at Harbor Freight. Both are Chinese make. Both cook fine. Important thing is to look at the castings and avoid blemishes inside and out. I went thru several boxes at Harbor Freight before making my choice. Also make sure the lids fit and don't rock back and forth.

The folks at the Yahoo Dutch Oven Cooking Group praise Lodge...I understand Lodge is the last of the American-made DOs. The quote I remember from the DO group is "If you just want a pot for cooking go ahead and get one of the no name pots, if you want something to hand down to your grand children, go with Lodge."

I recall reading somewhere that Lodge has gone to all pre-seasoned pots which makes getting started cooking a bit easier.

Good luck!

--Steve
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 01:23 AM

This forum below is an excellent source of information on Dutch Ovens and camp cooking generally:

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24

Also this "Cast Iron" section of the teardrop trailer forum:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=44

I have several Lodge pieces -- pre-seasoned (which is amazing stuff!). Got most of it from www.amazon.com -- waiting for sales and taking advantage of free "Super Saver" shipping.

Got some Lodge enamel pieces from Cabela's. Again waiting for sales and free shipping. (a lot of good deals in the winter of '07-'08 but surprisingly fewer in the past few economic downturn months when I was shopping for Christmas gifts).

Here's the Lodge collection on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Kitchen-Hous...;pf_rd_i=289814

I'd watch that Amazon page carefully for the next couple months. Best deals I ever saw when I was amassing my collection.

Here's the Cabela's collection. The issue with Cabela's is catching a deal on shipping -- obviously a significant factor in buying cast iron.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...entId=cat602009
Posted by: hercdoc

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 01:24 AM

If you have a Bass Pro Shops near-by they carry Lodge products...hard to beat a Lodge pot
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 03:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the useful info. I'll keep an eye out for some Griswolds and pick up a new Lodge in the meantime.

JohnE
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 02:55 PM

Lodge and Camp chef both are making conventional camp style dutch ovens. These have a lip around the lid and three short legs on the bottom of the pot. Use these primarily for cooking with charcoal or a wood fire, where embers can be spread beneath the pot and around the top of the lid. Lodge had the only mainstream camp ovens for a while; Camp Chef was making a hybrid, which they still do. Only recently did Camp Chef start casting pots similar to the Lodge product, though the general concensus is that Camp Chef QC may not be as good as Lodge on these traditional styles. In any case, Lodge is most likely the brand you will find most often. In fact, Walmart even stocks them. The most common size is what's called a 12", either as a regular depth (6 quart) or as a deep pot (8 quart). These are the most popular, and I have more in this size than any other, and I tend to use them more than the rest. Most dutch oven recipes call for one of these two sizes, so it is a good place to begin.

You will find Lodge in all the big name sporting goods chains, like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsmans, Gander Mountain, etc. Check the Lodge website to see what you can expect for pricing roughly, and to get an idea what you are looking for at a store.

I have pots ranging from 4" diameter to 20", Most often, I find myself reaching for the 12s, both at home and camp. At most Dutch Oven gatherings, about 60% of the pots are going to be 12". Like I said, it is a good place to start.

Probably the single best website for you to find more information is at IDOS.org. Pretty much everything you could ever need or want to know about cast iron cooking is there, and more people willing to offer you advice than you would care for.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 03:15 PM

Shifting the topic somewhat, I have seen Griswold and Wagner cast iron with smooth cooking surfaces. The Lodge skillets and Dutch Ovens I've seen were much rougher and seemed almost unfinished. How difficult is it to smooth the cooking surface on the Lodge cookware?

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 06:42 PM

On some cast iron you will find that the surface has been machined, such as with my Wagner chicken fryer. For me this is an undesirable trait, as it is hell to try and get a seasoning coat to stick to a machined surface. If that is what you want, then you can get one of those flexible automotive cylinder grinding wheels and chuck it up in your drill motor and have at it. The rough surface on cast iron cookware allows the seasoning coat to penetrate and adhere to the metal, creating a sitck resistant seal that protects the metal surface from oxidation and the food cooked in it from sticking too badly. Over time, many coatings of seasoning will build up, and this is highly desired by cast iron cooks. Of course, there can be too much of a good thing, and so the buildup will only get so deep before it begins ablating away, thus keeping the overall coating within reason. It is just carbon buildup with a little unvolatized organic material (neutral hydrocarbons) helping to bind it.

Without walking too far off the deep end here, I would recommend not smoothing the cooking surfaces of your cast iron. If you want a smooth surfaced dutch oven, go with one made from regular or anodized aluminum. The rough surface of cast iron cookware is deliberate.

The reason my fryer and my comal are smooth surfaces has to do with intended use. The fryer is used for nothing but deep frying with little chance of anything getting stuck, and the comal is used for nothing but making flour tortillas which cook relatively dry, and yes, they are both well seasoned inside and out, and what a pain that was.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/06/09 07:54 PM

Okay, that sorta makes sense. . . but I have a problem when frying eggs and the surface is so rough the turner/flipper won't slide smoothly under the eggs. Likewise, pancakes come apart and leave parts behind when they're flipped.

Smooth doesn't mean polished. Even a machined surface will hold oil. The Lodge Dutch Oven I bought will be rough but it's not critical because that will be more of a stew/chili pot -- no fried eggs/pancakes.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/07/09 12:35 AM

"...I would recommend not smoothing the cooking surfaces of your cast iron..."

Yup. I once bought a cast iron skillet with a milled smooth finish. I never could get a good seasoning on that thing, finally gave it to a thrift shop...
Posted by: GameOver

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/07/09 05:08 PM

My wife gave me a Lodge 6 qt. deep Lodge dutch oven under the tree this year. I believe she got it from Target online, free shipping offer before the holiday.

We'll be having some backyard camp cookouts to practice some.
Posted by: DFW

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 12:54 AM

New is fine, but second-hand can have it's advantages. I've bought several pieces of cast iron at flea markets, but my favorite is an 8" skillet, obviously used for generations, perfectly seasoned and just the right size for a pone of cornbread. Heat up your skillet in the oven with a little bacon grease in it, pour in your cornbread batter - about 20 minutes later, you've got heaven. Wipe out the pan with a towel, and you're done.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 02:15 PM

Thanks for posting allowing me to read that during business hours: I'm at work, and there's no way I'm going to be able to satisfy my cornbread craving for another nine hours... frown

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 03:24 PM

"I have a problem when frying eggs and the surface is so rough the turner/flipper won't slide smoothly under the eggs. Likewise, pancakes come apart and leave parts behind when they're flipped."

New cast iron has to be broke in for such things, meaning that the seasoning has to be built up a bit. Well seasoned cast iron, which has been in good use for a while, will have built up enough of a seasoning layer on the cooking surface that it will be smooth enough to slide the spatula along, and with just a hint of oil those pancakes and eggs will release nearly as good as the best teflon coated pans on the market today.

Generally, I start most of my pots and pans cooking foods that stay wet during the cooking process, such as roasts or stews, or I cook breads in them, like corn bread or shepherd's loaf. After perhaps a dozen seasoning sessions, my skillets have enough seasoning coatings built up to where they are smooth on the bottom cooking surface.

On griddles and such, I will use them as broiler pans to begin with, or for stir frying. Same as with the other cast iron, after about a dozen uses, they are seasoned up enough that I can do eggs and pancakes like a short order cook.

Speaking of which, back in high school, we had a big smooth steel griddle we did burgers and such on at a restaurant I worked at. I recall that after getting the griddle up to temp, we had to season it before we could start cooking orders on it. Usually I was told to drop an egg on a spot where I was going to fry burgers on. I'd work the egg, shell and all, into the griddle. Every night at closing we were required to scour the griddle back to shiny metal, and I learned a thing or two about seasoning coats then.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 03:40 PM

Thanks Benjammin, I'll look at the new Lodge skillets, but in the meantime to answer my need for eggs over easy, I found a 10' WAGNER WARE -0- Griddle on eBay. Looks to be in great shape as is much of the cast iron. I expect the Lodge Dutch Oven I ordered to have that rough surface despite being pre-seasoned. But for the wet food you mentioned (stew, chili), or even a chicken, rice and veggie dinner, that surface should not be an issue.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 03:48 PM

Yep, even the pre-seasoned stuff isn't going to work any better. It is just a start.

I've used my comal to do pancakes once or twice, so smooth is okay, just be aware that you will want still want to season that surface as best you can or food will stick. I get my comal smoking hot and grab a paper towel and dip it into the crisco just a tad, then wipe the hot comal surface down with a nice thin and even coat and let it smoke off. Then I wipe it down with the same paper towel again and let it smoke off again, then it is fairly ready to go. You will want to wipe it down in between every other pancake that way to keep the no-stick going. A little practice and you will quickly learn what to look for.

Enjoy using your cast iron, and feel free to ask questions about it anytime. The more you use it, the better it will be.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/08/09 09:33 PM

Mix up a little honey and butter to go on it...
Posted by: yeti

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/13/09 02:24 AM

Vintage cast ironware (which I prefer) is usually much more smooth and does take a while to build up the seasoning.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/13/09 03:36 AM

Hmm, most all of the really old cast iron I've seen or worked with (40 to 140 years or more old) is rough, some quite so, at least in the raw. An old, well seasoned pot should have a very smooth surface, from the seasoning of course.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/29/09 12:48 AM

benjammin - my experience is that newer cast iron is rough as anything but old is smooth (pre-seasoning). I have seen some old iron that is rough but it was not well made. I do think it is made more smooth by seasoning. Here is a photo example:

http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2008/05/old-cast-iron-vs-new-cast-iron.html

I mainly have old Griswold and a couple Wagners but I do have a couple that I'm unsure of the mfr and they are older and smoother as well.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/29/09 02:42 PM

Well, I can only speak with authority from my own experience, but I have heard a bit about depression era manufacture being smooth surfaced. My first inclination was that it was machined or sanded smooth after casting. I've also heard that a lot of folks from that time and more recently have taken to sanding and/or wirebrushing the surface of cast iron to remove the old seasoning and rust on "recovered" pieces, which would also lead me to believe many of the older pots would over the years have a smoother surface than the typical cast items from further back in time, or newer ones that haven't been neglected. Wear and tear would tend to smooth the surface of old pots and pans I would imagine.

Most of what I have is new. A few pieces are from depression era, and they are machined smooth on the inside. Some of the really old stuff I've seen is just as rough as the new stuff. The early american stuff I've seen (home cast, mostly spiders and such) are very rough, but well seasoned and quite functional.

In any case, I find the smooth surfaced stuff to be more difficult to season properly. I've never noticed any difference in how smoooth vs rough perform if both are well seasoned. Once the seasoning overcomes the rough surface, I reckon they are going to work about the same.

Steel griddles are smooth, as are my steel baking pans. I season them as well, and they work quite nicely. I suppose everything is relative. I reckon since most of my experience is with cast iron that has a rough finish prior to seasoning it, that is the stuff I am most familiar with, and I am more adept at making it work. Good cast iron, rough or smooth, is still a good thing.
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 01/29/09 04:21 PM

Hey all,

We use lodge cast iron. Very inexpensive, durable and american made. Amazon.com may still have the deal where if you buy 4 houseware products you get the cheapest item free and free shipping if over $25 on the estimate.

Someone had a problem with sticking of eggs and pancakes. I had this problem initially but we read the instructions (ok, well the DW did wink and found out you have to get the pan to temperature (i.e. hot) and add a little oil prior to adding the eggs and cakes. To check the temp of the pan (never leave the empty pan heating unattended) flick a bit of water on the surface of the pan with oil...if it pops and fizzes slightly its ready. Since we have adopted this method we no longer have a problem with sticking.

Also we wash the pans after we use them (I know, I know, but my parents never washed the pans and the rancid "crust" seriously grossed me out). I also dry them quickly (will rust with water), and I put a thin oil coating on the pan prior to putting it away. About once a month or so I'll "re-season" the pans by heating the in the oven empty with a bit of oil in them.

Best pans ever if you have the patience and some pot-holders wink.

~L

Edit: Also we purchased an ol' fashion metal spatula from a thrift store and this also really helped alleviate the sticking problems. Plastic spatulas just do not work well with cast iron...as might be expected. wink
Posted by: KenK

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/01/09 04:15 PM

The most common size used by Scout patrols is the 12" wide, 6 quart camp dutch oven. I think most DO recipes target the 12" 6-quart DO.

I'll also recommend Lodge cast iron. Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens".

BTW, if you've never tried a Lodge cast iron fry pan (Lodge calls them skillets), please do so. They are wonderful. My favorite is the 12", though for the amazingly low price you can get the 10.25" and the 12" and they nest together nicely (w/ paper towel in between to protect the sweet finish).

I've read several reviews that rate a seasoned cast iron skillet as being better than the very best of the fancy non-stick cookware.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/01/09 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
.... Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens"....

I agree about the lids, but I use the flat bottom ones outside by simply setting them up on stones, tent pegs or a low grill.
I sometimes hang them over the fire from a tripod too.

So if you do have one with a flat bottom it will still work quite well.

The right lids are getting harder to find for them, and they do make a difference in how well the oven works.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/01/09 11:08 PM

If you are boiling or frying, you can hang the stove-top style Dutch Oven from a tripod over a fire or use on a burner. I've also used el Cheapo welded wire flower pot holders as pot stands for my flat bottoms and fry pans as well, over wood fire of course.

The 12" diameter are arguably the most common size used these days. The standard 6 quart is preferred for baking, the "deep" 8 quart for roasting and casseroles, stews, or other higher capacity recipes. I have more deep ones than standard size, but I have adapted my baking to accomodate the greater volume.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/03/09 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: KenK
.... Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens"....

I agree about the lids, but I use the flat bottom ones outside by simply setting them up on stones, tent pegs or a low grill.
I sometimes hang them over the fire from a tripod too.

So if you do have one with a flat bottom it will still work quite well.

The right lids are getting harder to find for them, and they do make a difference in how well the oven works.

Lodge still makes them for the BSA. They have legs, and a nice raised edge around the rim on the top so the ash from the coals doesn't end up in your pot. It's got some heft to it, about 20 lbs for the 6 quart 12 inch version. ($65) It's on www.scoutstuff.org
(I think you can buy the same one from Lodge without the BSA logo for a little less)

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/03/09 01:04 AM

My most-used cast iron is a wok from Lodge. Pre-seasoned but getting even better with every use.

This replaced my 20-year old well-seasoned carbon steel wok. Much prefer the cast iron.

Woks are extremely versatile. With the cast iron you can do a nice deep-fry, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-14...6576&sr=1-2
Posted by: Ready

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/05/09 02:53 PM

I have a question. I have a few pieces of old cast iron that I picked up at garage sales and such. I believe the are Griswold. I recently wanted to use the 6qt dutch oven for baking bread in my oven. It was "seasoned" so I just rinced it out and dried with paper towel.

The recipe called for preheating the oven and pan to 450. We after about 20 minutes it started smoking and stinking. Is that normal at that high temp, and just the "seasoning" burning off?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,

Ready

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/05/09 03:04 PM

450 would be above the smoking point of most oils.
Deep fryers run at 350 to 375 and they have to be selective about what oils they use.
Here is a list of oils and the temperatures they smoke at.
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 02/05/09 03:06 PM

If it is smoking, that means that whoever had it before you didn't complete the seasoning process, and the remaining volatiles from the previous application are now cooking off.

Before you cook with any of that iron, I would at least put it all through one seasoning session. It will ensure that the pot is ready to cook in and is sterile.

Typically you will want to put a thin coating of oil or grease on the inside and outside of the pot/pan, put it in the oven at 450 to 500 degrees and let it burn in for about an hour or so. It will smoke, and if you have a bbq grill that will hold the pot I suggest doing this outside instead. When it is done, let it cool in the oven/grill, and it should come out shiny black and the surface should feel bumpy but smooth and not tacky or gummy.

The seasoning isn't burning off, it is getting set proper, and you can expect that to happen everytime you season the pot.

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 03/06/09 09:44 PM

I didn't know lodge made the cast iron wok! Now I covet! I'm going to have to search one out. I'd feel better if it was 16+ inches, but I still covet this one!

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 03/06/09 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: yeti
I didn't know lodge made the cast iron wok! Now I covet! I'm going to have to search one out. I'd feel better if it was 16+ inches, but I still covet this one!

You'll love it!

Best price I've seen is at Amazon. I've had mine for awhile, a friend bought from this link a couple months ago and even with the Free Super Saver Shipping it got to her within 3 or 4 days.

$55

Lodge Pro-Logic 14-Inch Cast-Iron Wok with Loop Handles

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-14...3860&sr=1-1

Enjoy!
Posted by: Ready

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 03/12/09 02:17 PM

I have a beautifully seasoned old cast iron pan that has a crack in the edge near the handle. It is about an inch or so long going down from the top edge, has a small "L" at the end.

Can cast iron be welded or fixed? I may just be able to live with it and it may be OK.

I had just greased it up and was trying to get it back in the oven when I dropped the pan while it was hot on the edge opposite the handle, then later noticed the crack. Not sure how that happened. It was not even very hot, maybe 200 degrees or so, not 500.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Speaking of cast iron... - 03/12/09 03:09 PM

Yes, Cast Iron can be both brazed and welded. Welding requires the use of special nickle rods. Brazing - you grind dowm, fill with rod (pre-heated object) and cool slowly

Hones? You're going to lose your seasoning doing this, and I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything cooked in it, plus it's going to cost. I'd buy a new pan