Books or other material for deep south?

Posted by: truckergut

Books or other material for deep south? - 12/26/08 09:20 PM

Merry Christmas everybody, I have a small request here.

I lurk and read around here a whole lot, and I love the advice and links you post, but I find that there's tons of information on cold weather and desert survival, but not so much on survival in the pine forests/swampland areas of the deep south I do most of my activities in. Does anybody have any favorites or must-reads of this type to recommend?

Thanks,
Truckergut
Posted by: Blast

Re: Books or other material for deep south? - 12/27/08 12:58 AM

Quote:
survival in the pine forests/swampland areas of the deep south I do most of my activities in. Does anybody have any favorites or must-reads of this type to recommend?

My two blogs! grin

If you can track down the Survivorman Season 1 DVD he spends a week in the LA swamp. Lots of good information in that episode.

-Blast
Posted by: truckergut

Re: Books or other material for deep south? - 12/27/08 04:18 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll look for that book on amazon, Izzy. La and Fl are quite similar, except you get the pre-delta side of the gulf stream for your beaches. So I imagine the info on the flora and fauna to be pretty accurate.

Blast, your blogs are a given, and I've spread word to the few other enthusiasts I know. You can look forward to the dubious pleasure of my company on one of your info-hikes this next summer, if all goes well.

If y'all can come up with any more specifics, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Truckergut

Re: Books or other material for deep south? - 12/27/08 04:52 AM

Thanks for the kind words for my blogs! As for other resources, some good books are:
Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Delena Tull.
Beacomber's Guide to Gulf Coast Marine Life (covers Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, & Texas)
Animal Tracks of Texas by Sheldon & Hartson

You might also track down information on Caddo Indians. They lived across Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas. There's a number of books about them available, but I haven't look at any and can't recommend a particular one.

-Blast

Re: Books or other material for deep south? - 12/27/08 04:59 AM

Neat website about the lives/techniques of Caddo Native Americans:
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/kids/caddo/index.html

-Blast