Empty # 10 cans

Posted by: texasboots

Empty # 10 cans - 12/06/08 08:29 PM

Anyone know were I cn purchase these? I saw Blasts post about the LDS cannery, but I dont seem to have one locally, so I figured I could do it myself. Anyone have experiance with this?

Thnks
Posted by: Blast

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/06/08 10:54 PM

The cannery used a specialized, high-powered peice of machinery to seal the #10 cans that crimps over the can's edge. I'm not sure if one could do it at home with simpler equipment.

Depending on what you want to pack, mylar bags and oxygen absorber packs from Major Surplus and Survival might be the way to go. These bags can be sealed with an iron.

-Blast
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/06/08 11:24 PM

awhile back i was checking out Ebay for a hand powered can sealer..they had a few but the all went for much more that i was willing to spend--over $100 maybe???
Posted by: texasboots

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/07/08 12:41 AM

Makes sense.. Ill have a look at the Mylar bags.

Thanks..
Posted by: comms

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/07/08 01:41 AM

Well I checked in with a LDS friend last night and there is indeed a cannery in my town. Right close actually. She is going to get me the checklist and we are going to go together in the next month or so.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/07/08 04:11 PM

If you want stuff sealed in a can, I guess one could first seal the stuff in a bag with a vacuum sealer, then seal that bag in a gallon paint can. Those cans are probably not food safe by themselves, but the vacuum bag would get around that. New, unused, paint cans are usually avalible at hardware/paint stores. Or you could put the sealed bags in a plastic five gallon bucket with lid. Foodsafe buckets can usually be picked up for little or nothing at restaurants or donut shops...
Posted by: SirJoel

Re: Empty # 10 cans - 12/08/08 04:34 PM

Here is a link to help find your local cannery...

<http://providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html>