Sailboat security

Posted by: dweste

Sailboat security - 08/27/08 07:13 PM

Yesterday I went to look at what may be my new home - a sailboat. The owner was to meet us but we got delayed and never did get together.

Nonetheless I was with a friend who berths a boat at the same marina, so we had no problem getting through the electronic "owners and friends" gate. Previously I have politely asked strangers going through the gate to let me in for various reasons I made up and about one in three does so. Several times I have just followed others in; this works especially well if you are carrying something in both arms.

My friend knew about where the boat was, so we walked up to it. No one answered a knock on the deck or any "hellos." So we just went on board. And then because there were no locks, we went into the cabin to look around.

Nothing but a knot or two secured the boat to the berth, so if we wanted to I guess we could have started the engine, motored out, had a nice sail to wherever and been on our merry way.

My friend says he came down to his boat after a couple weeks absence and found someone had been living aboard. While whoever it was had used various items and eaten ship stores, my friend decided the gear left behind was fair trade.

I am apparently more anal than the average boat owner - I would not want people to access or sail a boat I am living in without my permission. So what are the reasonable, tried and true ways of securing your boat - wherever you happen to sail it?

Thanks.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 07:16 PM

Sleep with one eye open and never leave the boat wink

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Sleep with one eye open and never leave the boat wink

Pardon me. I should have specified that I was looking for practical anal-retentive solutions, but thanks for your well thought out plan!

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 07:23 PM

Isn't there a saying "IF a thief wants it they will get it" ?
I think your best bet is to lock the hatches, and not keep anything on deck, keep it tied more than 2 locations while in the marina, and maybe ask someone staying nearby to keep an eye on it and 'bug' anyone who trys to board that isn't you smile
Posted by: big_al

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 07:52 PM

replace the bow line with a chain and lock.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: big_al
replace the bow line with a chain and lock.

That and install good locks. I don't see a boat any harder to lock then other things. if it has a hinge, it gets a lock.

I see it more of a concern to protect a solar panel & wind generator then to lock up the boat.

Solar panels are expensive and will be a target for a thief.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 08:42 PM

I was assigned to the caretaker crew of two old 255' Lake class cutters tied up @ TRACEN Alameda, Government Island. I'm on the midwatch, it's 0200 and I'm drinking coffee and listening to KPFA and MUSIC FROM THE HEARTS OF SPACE. Berthed just aft of the cutters was a fishing trawler seized for smuggling pot.

I was just starting my rounds when I saw a small boat come alongside the trawler and three guys board her. I got on the phone and yelled "3 intruders on the trawler. I need HELP!" The sandcrab, just out of Yoeman A school girl on watch informed me nobody could possibly slip past the gate guards at the causeway entrance.I yelled an expletive and hung up, grabbed a fireaxe and raced down the gangplank and toward the trawler. The 3 figures saw me and fled.

I'm walking back and our 'base security' decided I had 'abandoned my post' and tried to sieze my Detex clock and logbook. I'm ordering this seaman deuce to back off and he's refusing. FINALLY, an hour later the newly commisioned ensign strolls over and explains he was "napping when the call came in."

I'm brought up on charges by the CPO of the base security detail, I'm bringing charges on the SA and suddenly get called into the JAG's office. And there are 3 CGI ( Coast Guard Intelligence) who said I 'scared the blankety- blank' out of them running down the pier with that axe overhead. The base CO took early retirement, the ensign went to the french Frigate Shoals and the SA given real sea duty.

The whole base was under investigation for theft and several security breaches. That was during the unhappy, post Vietnam period. But my point is, that was 'The world's largest Coast Guard' and you cannot depend on other's watchfullness -ever. Get some good locks, and few people have enough skill to sail a boat out of a marina. Pull a sparkpug or rotor off the engine.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 09:30 PM

I suspect that sailboats, like RV's, are pretty hard to lock up securely. So you do the best you can do, keeping in mind that locks really only keep honest people out anyway. Assuming that your sailboat can not make it away from the dock under sail, a motor of some kind being needed, I would just yank the coil wire or something...

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I suspect that sailboats, like RV's, are pretty hard to lock up securely. So you do the best you can do, keeping in mind that locks really only keep honest people out anyway. Assuming that your sailboat can not make it away from the dock under sail, a motor of some kind being needed, I would just yank the coil wire or something...

That works too smile
Posted by: Fleetwing

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 09:50 PM

We have a classic, but older boat which is not "sexy" and state of the art so no one would want to steal it. Same with our cars. Good insurance.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/27/08 11:19 PM

"...no one would want to steal it..."

Maybe. Depends on why they want it. Resale, parts, you are probably right. Transportation, if it runs and is easy to snatch, off it goes...
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 12:13 AM

A stout cable amidships, between the spring lines, with a spliced loop on both end and secured with a lock onboard is likely to be far shorter and easier to handle than one on the bow.

A valve on the exhaust close to the through-hull serves to make the engine impossible to start, keeps pooping waves from swamping the engine, and may extend the life of the lift bend and exhaust manifold. Most slots in large marinas are difficult, if not impossible, to maneuver out of without use of an engine. The popular opinion us that most thieves would rather untie lines, start the engine and power off. Hoisting sail and active sail management is too much like work for most thieves.

It is also possible to remove the electrical links or fuses so that only one or two interior lights and the bilge pump/s will work. This makes starting the engine and otherwise stealing the boat much harder. It also goes a long was toward eliminating the risk of an electrical fire.

Key-lock switches can be inserted into the ignition circuits.

Most traditional hatchways are easy to break into. Stronger hinges and creative use of hasps, locks and latches can increase their security.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Most traditional hatchways are easy to break into. Stronger hinges and creative use of hasps, locks and latches can increase their security.

Is it possible to backup the hinges with steel bar stock on the backside? And also round off all the bolts or use carriage bolts?

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 02:49 AM

"... pooping waves..."

You sailors do have a way with words...

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BobS
Is it possible to backup the hinges with steel bar stock on the backside? And also round off all the bolts or use carriage bolts?

It has been done but it is hard to suggest any specific design or changes simply because the designs vary so much. Generally what exists can be strengthened. The fittings, fasteners and structures can and should be replaced or reinforced.

The usual design is a series of washboards that slide down a track and block off the horizontal structure. These then are secured by a hood that slides over them.

Thicker, possibly marine plywood, boards can be substituted. These prevent, or at least slow, any attempt at splitting or breaking them so they can reach in. Thicker boards or plywood, especially if reinforced with woven roving and epoxy, will hold bolts more securely than the typical thin sawn boards if you want to hang a hasp and lock.

The tracks for the sliding hood can usually benefit from being reinforced. Many are well built for wave and wind action but they can be pried up pretty easily. Once lifted an inch or two it is easy to lift out the boards and gain entry. Stronger tracks stoutly fastened, preferably bolted through reinforced materials and backed with plates if possible, might be an option.

Some designs feature louvered saloon doors in front, outside, of the washboards. Many of these are fairly flimsy but the basic design has some merit. It allows convenient access and allows ventilation while keeping rain and spray out. It also allows some privacy and a small measure of security.

Generally the hinges might be lengthened, perhaps substituting a piano style hinge for the typical leafs, using longer and stronger screws, or better still, through bolts backed with large washers or backing plates mounted on a thicker reinforced structure. Thicker and better attached louvers would be a good start. Most you see can be broken out with a quick punch and a bit of finger work. If the lightweight doors saloon doors were replaced by sturdier models the security aspect could be improved. In effect making the louvered doors another layer of security that would have to be overcome before you could even begin on the main entry.

Of course if you use steel your going to want to use a high quality stainless steel. I like bronze. Aluminum bronze if it is a under a lot of stress. It isn't so important in this application, if your hatches tend to be underwater security is the least of your worries, but I like the look and the freedom from fatigue cracking and crevice corrosion.

Allowed to brown and waxed, instead of being kept bright, the maintenance isn't too difficult. A light wipe to remove the green haze and rewaxing, melted in with a torch if need be, and it looks both 'shippy' and right to me.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 03:52 AM

Good thoughts.

[I failed to mention I had owner permission to examine the boat whether or not he was there.]

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 03:57 AM

How about an old fashion alarm system that has a loud horn? No criminal likes attention.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 02:51 PM

Any saltwater-rated internet-accessible remote camera systems out there?
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 04:33 PM

A good marina (neighbors) is a start. Lock the door. Solar powered nightlight?

Posted by: jjmagnum

Re: Sailboat security - 08/28/08 04:36 PM

As Teacher mentioned getting to know your neighbors in the Marina is a plus. If there are some "semi-permanent" residents there they are usually a good source of information on who is roaming around the docks. After all, they don't want nefarious types around their "houses" either.

As with hunting cabins, or other vacation property, never store anything there you aren't prepared to lose.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: jjmagnum
As Teacher mentioned getting to know your neighbors in the Marina is a plus. If there are some "semi-permanent" residents there they are usually a good source of information on who is roaming around the docks. After all, they don't want nefarious types around their "houses" either.

As with hunting cabins, or other vacation property, never store anything there you aren't prepared to lose.

My understanding is that while it is always a good idea to remain on good terms with marina management many of these organizations are far more interested in collecting rent than providing protection. Many marinas have no practical physical security present. If it has gates they are often disabled, broken, easily bypassed and seldom is there anyone watching. Often a thief just has to follow someone in. I have never seen one with any security on the water side.

Getting friendly with any live-aboard occupants in the marina are IMHO far more likely to get end up seeing concerned and watchful eyes on your boat. Marina managers are often just doing a minimum job. Live-aboard sailors have a much more vested interest in keeping thieves away. They are not only looking out for your sailboat. They are looking out for their home. A higher level of motivation.

They are also often the main, sometimes the only, protection if any alarm goes off while your away. In large marinas where the vast majority are once-a-month weekenders an alarm can sound until the battery dies before anyone bothers to see what the commotion is about. Boat owners can easily show up and find their dock lines, still tied to the boat, leading underwater.

Live-aboard sailors can be busybodies but they are also the ones who retie lines that have come loose, ask suspicious people what they are doing and who will act when your bilge alarm sounds at 2AM. Many marina owners actively exclude live-aboard sailors because they are 'high maintenance'. Sad because they can also be the heart of a community in a marina.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 02:20 AM

The marinas I have found so far almost all prohibit live aboards. One exception is isolated, has no shore amenities, and has an enterance that is silted in so at low tide there is about two feet of water. Another has a length limit that the potential new boat exceeds substantially. The third has no openings. Still in the hunt.

I am looking at a high security yacht club as a last resort. Even though they bar live aboards they are very convenient, have great amenities, and an active membership activity schedule. Occasional overnights are not supposed to be a problem. I can crash at the office once in a while, and I am also looking to rent a room at a friend's house.

If the boat does well with its surveys and comes home to Stockton, it will acquire as much security as practical.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 02:29 AM

Around here it’s not uncommon to see people living on a boat, I have a friend, he and his wife lived on a 45-foot boat all winter while he was having a home built.

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 01:00 PM

I haven't played around the Delta in many a year, but I seem to recall a lot of rich guy type houses with private docks. I wonder if you could locate a vacant "weekend getaway" type of house, and work out a deal to be a liveaboard your own boat housesitter at one of them? The home owner would get a measure of security, you would get a place to park/live. Maybe check with a realestate agent or something???

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 01:39 PM

I wonder if you could locate a vacant "weekend getaway" type of house, and work out a deal to be a liveaboard your own boat housesitter at one of them?

Interesting idea, but I am pretty far along the path of another approach. I will keep it in mind, though. Thanks.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 02:30 PM

Funky, every marina in the area around me has live aboard's allowed. Another reason not to like CA I guess.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 02:51 PM

it's a slippery slope:

grin

Re: Sailboat security - 08/29/08 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bsmith

it's a slippery slope:

grin

OK, I like it. A real "party" boat. grin

Re: Sailboat security - 08/30/08 12:27 AM

Funny, I thought it was the Louisiana governor's mansion.

It does say "GOVERNOR" on the side.

I can see the first lady sweeping down the executive staircase during the governor's ball.

On the plus side it isn't so likely to end up underwater. Unless that hull rusts through and it takes on water.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Sailboat security - 08/30/08 04:59 AM

of course that's our Guvnor's Mansion!!!

You ought to see the picture of the First Allimagator: "T-Boy",
he likes dem tourist,,especially tha yankee ones wid garlic butter, cher!!!

Re: Sailboat security - 08/30/08 12:56 PM

Damn, I was kinda hoping that upstairs was all bedrooms, making it a floating low class bordello...

Re: Sailboat security - 08/30/08 03:38 PM

Damn, I was kinda hoping that upstairs was all bedrooms, making it a floating low class bordello...

In some areas, that could be a high class bordello! grin