NYT Article on Small Trailers

Posted by: bmisf

NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/15/08 10:59 PM

The New York Times has an article this week called "As Gas Prices Swell, Trailers Shrink".

Some really cool designs in there - I especially like the Airstream Basecamp and SylvanSport Go. It was fun to watch the videos of the setup of the SylvanSport interior, converting between beds and a dinette.

But: for both general and "bug out" use, my take is that my 4WD packed with a good tent, BOB and other supplies is less expensive, more flexible, would attract less attention, and ultimately is actually easier to use and maintain.

The tent can be positioned much more flexibly (and remotely) than any of the trailers, not to mention RVs, and will be far faster to set up. A lightweight but large tarp can help turn the vehicle into a kitchen or flexible extension of shelter space.

Sure, some of these designs can also take ATVs or kayaks and other bulkier stuff - but I don't find that a compelling reason to get one. (I see a more compelling argument for a very small trailer that could carry extra gear - discussed on this forum in other threads - but personally I'd skip that too.)

What do you all think?
Posted by: Todd W

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 12:11 AM

One of these days I plan to build an off-road ready teardrop trailer. Rolled tube, sheet metal, etc... something that can actually be tipped on it's side or banged on some rocks and trees.

Other than that I agree with you.
Posted by: LED

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 12:27 AM

Neat, but I'd rather have either a tent or a small trailer, not a hybrid of the two. Aside from all the obvious drawbacks, one of the benefits of a trailer would be better protection from the elements, faster setup/breakdown, and a bit better gear organization.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 12:54 AM

Teardrops rock. On my list of things to build, precisely for the reasons cited. It's sad to say that my small 14' trailer is too large and heavy to haul around.
Posted by: BobS

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 01:12 AM

My brother has a Little Guy teardrop trailer. He loves it and does a lot of camping with it. If you are interested in teardrops do a search for tearjerkers, it’s a group of people that love teardrop trailers.
Posted by: BobS

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 01:16 AM

Here is a web site that is a step by step build (with lots of pictures) of a teardrop trailer from a harbor tools $200.00 trailer to the final teardrop.

A Design and Build Journal of How I Built my Tiny Teardrop Trailer

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%20Trailer.htm

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/16/08 04:00 AM

It kinda depends on what you want to do. I really like hard sided trailers, the A-liner near the top of the list of mini-trailers, but I can take a 2WD midsized pickup, with tent camping gear in the bed, into places that no 4WD anything could tow any trailer into...
Posted by: JohnE

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 12:17 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to claim that OBG, have you seen any of the "expedition trailers" out in the market?

They're damned near bullet proof, have better suspension than many powered vehicles do. Most are the fold up type that condenses into a box mounted on usually very tall tires.

They are towed behind very capable 4wd trucks, Land Rovers, etc.

They are the cat's meow when it comes to trailering.

check out: www.expeditionportal.com

John E

John E

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 03:01 AM

I couldn't find much about trailers in the link provided, just one little bitty guy, and something stuck on the back of a truck and labeled as a "trailer," but I am willing to concede that I may not know all that much about "off road" trailers. I do know that I have taken my former Nissan 2WD P/U into places that I doubt any trailer could follow, thanks to really tight turns...

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 03:21 AM

Sorry, go to the forums on the Expedition Portal site and find the expedition trailers section. Some of these things are amazing.

John E

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 12:36 PM

"...Some of these things are amazing..."

Indeed they are. I stand corrected. Thanks...
Posted by: Russ

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 02:01 PM

Why not just link directly to http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/17/08 02:20 PM

Cause it was supposed to be an adventure finding the trailers...;^)

John E
Posted by: CAP613

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/19/08 02:43 PM

Couple of thoughts here. I have been camping for most of my life
done both tent & tent trailer as well as backpacking.

I think that anything purchased would have to be for normal use as well as an emergency.

One problem that I have with tent trailers is they do take more time to set up and once you set then up you tend to not want to move them. But the comfort over sleeping on the ground in temperent conditions make it worth it.

As for getting in and out of inaccesseable areas the altimate all teraine vehical is your own two feet, you can go places nothing else can.
Posted by: TrailDemon

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 04:15 AM

if you really like small living have a look at these:
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

and no, i don't work for them, i just like them. wink

peace
al
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 10:30 AM

Yeah, but did you see how much the guy wants for his plans? Just go to menards and buy the small shed plan for $15.

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 12:51 PM

I didn't see any wheels on them...
Posted by: Susan

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 04:19 PM

Just something I wonder about when I see a teardrop trailer... Wouldn't it be more aerodynamically sound to have the hitch on the other end (the smaller end)?

Just curious.

Sue

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 04:56 PM

You would think so, wouldn't you. But then, maybe the tadpole look has something goin' for it. Any aerospace engineers here???
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 08/27/08 06:09 PM

A teardrop shape, with the wide end at the front, is the most aerodynamic. Look a the shape of an airplane wing, same idea.
Posted by: Squob

Re: NYT Article on Small Trailers - 10/10/08 01:55 AM

The Australian-built Track Tvan is a pretty tough trailer.

Unfortunately, it's not legally available in the States. And even more unfortunately, King Kamper has pulled out of the business in the US.

But as folks have mentioned, there's always Adventure Trailers.