Self-sufficiency

Posted by: Todd W

Self-sufficiency - 08/11/08 10:42 PM

We are in the market to buy our first house, and being able to be self-sufficient heavily weighs in our decision on the correct property. You may have seen my other thread about PA and places to live. Well, now we are concentrating around here. (East of Sacramento)

I was wondering if people here would be interested in me posting on my blog about this journey? From our requirements, to pictures of properties we look at to buying and setting up our property?

As it is we've put in a couple offers, and have looked at numerous properties. I have pictures, and stories to go along with each.

Anyone who's interested please say so smile It will be great motivation to get me started.

-Todd
Posted by: Blast

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/11/08 10:55 PM

Heck yeah!

-Blast
Posted by: dweste

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/11/08 11:46 PM

Hey, neighbor!

I live in Stockton, probably less than an hour's drive away from you. Not only am I interested in supporting your efforts at self-sufficiency by reading about them, but, if you need some contacts to help get advice or stuff for your place I probably can help.

In addition, I am dismantling a household of stuff in a forced downsizing campaign, Need anything for your new place?

If you need a hand with your move, etc., I think I could rustle up a few guys with pickups, dolleys, etc. that might make moving things easier and faster.

And, finally, when you want a break, come play with The Sacrtamento Tracking and Wilderness Training Group - of which I saw you have become a member.

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 12:22 AM

Blast - Thanks for the encouragement smile Working on getting my blog updated, and organized... I broke it in the process!!

dweste- Wow, I really appreciate all the offers you've put in your reply smile The latest offer we've put in is for a fixer, so we may need some items, I`ll be sure to keep you posted! Thanks again!

Will do, I started reading the group and got distracted and now I've become overwhelmed with house hunting, offers, counters, bank research, lenders, etc... wow so much work. I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be for people who don't know "anyone" in the industry to lend a hand! It's amazing all the work, etc, that goes into everything when buying a house... enough of that talk!!! I`ll put it in the blog smile

Again, thanks guys!!!

-Todd
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 12:47 AM

Definitely!! smile
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 01:03 AM

Make sure you watch Good Neighbors

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: GoatRider

Have you seen this? Is it worth watching? Funny like the reviews say?

Thanks a bunch!
-Todd
Posted by: Susan

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 03:42 AM

I loved that show! They live next door to a much wealthier couple, and each couple plays off the other, a study in contrasts.

Netflix has it, if you use their service.

Sue
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 04:11 AM

Blog away. But keep in mind that we just bailed from CA for greener pastures...

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Blog away. But keep in mind that we just bailed from CA for greener pastures...

I believe that, dry here in summer wink wink
Posted by: Fitzoid

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 11:10 AM

Definitely interested!

What exactly is "self-sufficiency?" Off the grid? Enough land for farming? Defendable from hoardes of invading zombies, searching for late-night brain snacks?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 01:03 PM

"...dry here in summer..."

And hot.

And expensive (I won't ruin your day by telling you what vehicle reg in SD costs compared to CA).

The list goes on and on...

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Definitely interested!

What exactly is "self-sufficiency?" Off the grid? Enough land for farming? Defendable from hoardes of invading zombies, searching for late-night brain snacks?

I plan to make this my first post.. but I`ll touch on it quick.

1. Well water, w/backup geny and/or separate hand pump. (Will run on propane.) 1000g water tank.

2. Irrigation water rights if possible to use for a pond that can have fish in it.

3. Enough land to have a nice sized garden.

4. Enough land to have chickens, rabbits, and maybe some goats.

5. Not on a busy road, dead-end road preferred. (So far every house has been on a dead-end road, and some 1 way the last 1 mile) Prefer a property we can shoot on, but this is proving harder to accomplish than we'd hoped.

6. Enough sun exposure to add solar panels, and enough wind exposure to get some of the newer style wind turbines.

7. Enough garage/storage/shop space to park the vehicles, 4x4s, and have a 'shop' to work out of (I have many metal working tools, and plan to add wood).

8. Wood and/or pellet stove. (Separate or 1 as backup, if only 1 stove it must be wood.)

9. Propane. Water heater, stove, heater.

The idea is to be fine if the power goes down or the city water goes down. At time of move in we wont be doing the solar or wind so we'd be w/out lights but the idea is to still have water, hot water, and heat the house.

I have a lot more details, and probably forgot some stuff.. I hope to have this posted on my blog soon smile

Posted by: clarktx

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddW

My father enjoys dry british humor, and growing up I saw many episodes of this... its is funny enough.

Between the british humor and the fact that its 30+ years old, I would say that there is a fair chance you wouldn't find it funny enough to watch it in preference to something else, like, going on an adventure, or building a chicken coop.

Like I said, funny enough, but if you can get it from Netflix... then you can pay for several months of netflix instead of the $40 for this item.

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 03:54 PM

Thanks!

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Originally Posted By: GoatRider

Thanks a bunch!
-Todd

Yep, I saw it when it first came to the states on public TV, and again a few years ago. I liked it enough that I'm thinking of getting the DVD. Very entertaining, imo, but I love british humor.

You're not going to learn anything about self-sufficiency though.
Posted by: LeeG

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 04:53 PM

If 'self sufficiency' is important, the #1 thing I would look for is like-minded neighbors.

We all like to think we are self sufficient, but in reality, we all depend on others, and a small, organized group will be far more sustaining than any individual. Groups allow for some degree of specialization and trade.

Posted by: wildman800

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 08:39 PM

I am interested in being a passive part of your journey.

Thanks, Bo
Posted by: BobS

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 08:41 PM

[/quote]5. Not on a busy road, dead-end road preferred. (So far every house has been on a dead-end road, and some 1 way the last 1 mile)[/quote]

How do you have a “One Way Street” on a dead end street? confused

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/12/08 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS
[/quote]5. Not on a busy road, dead-end road preferred. (So far every house has been on a dead-end road, and some 1 way the last 1 mile)

How do you have a “One Way Street” on a dead end street? confused [/quote]

Good catch, I meant 1 lane smile

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/13/08 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: LeeG
If 'self sufficiency' is important, the #1 thing I would look for is like-minded neighbors.

We all like to think we are self sufficient, but in reality, we all depend on others, and a small, organized group will be far more sustaining than any individual. Groups allow for some degree of specialization and trade.

I think if there is a moral to "Good Neighbors", it's exactly that, just look at the title. But mostly it's just entertaining.

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/13/08 05:17 AM

Well I've almost fixed my blog software! Got it upgraded fully, and got my categories back, almost done!

I hope to get the first post tomorrow smile
Posted by: dweste

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/14/08 09:45 PM

How's that blog coming?

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/14/08 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
How's that blog coming?

Hopefully get my first post up tonight smile

Work, moving, life, etc = swamped frown

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/23/08 05:02 PM

Ok, the blog is setup at: http://www.self-sufficient-home.com/

I have written an about, requirements and 2 posts as of now.

I am updating the previous homes we looked at first in hopes to catch up to where we are now very soon.

The blog still needs a logo/header and a few other minor changes but it's live.

-Todd
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/23/08 07:35 PM

it looks like you're off to a good start. Thanks for sharing!!

Re: Self-sufficiency - 08/23/08 08:58 PM

I updated with a new post: http://www.self-sufficient-home.com/25-a-house-with-a-view.html TONS more pictures and information.

As I have learned more pics = better. I`ll be doing a post on this topic soon too because I think it will be useful for anyone buying a home.

(I`m still playing catchup and for those here I`ll spill the beans the agent selling was rude, said the bank takes forever to reply, so we are not counting on it, and she also said the last counter was for 380k frown ) So, on to more homes,... this will be a post soon too.

Re: Self-sufficiency - 09/03/09 11:13 PM

I haven't posted but the wife and I have slowly been able to update the blog... we haven't finished the "build" updates, mostly stuff as we go smile