Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff

Posted by: philip

Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/04/08 06:54 PM

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...g=en-US&s=1

Note that it's servings, not meals. Servings are packed in mylar pouches, each of which contains 5 such servings. All vegetarian, most require being simmered in boiling water for 20 minutes.

The shebang is in a 5-gallon bucket weight about 25 lbs, costing $80 including shipping to the lower 48.

See
http://www.foodforhealthint.com/
for additional information from the maker, including full nutrition and contents for each serving.

Having 5 servings in each pouch means if there are one or two persons, you have an open pouch which probably can be stored in the resealable bucket for some period of time. You need boiling water for cooking, which means water, fire, containers, etc.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/04/08 11:46 PM

i almosted ordered until I realized it was all vegetarian! I need some meat in my diet.

did anyone notice on Costco's website they only list 225 servings out of 275? wonder what the other 50 servings are.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/04/08 11:56 PM

yeah! very interesting...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 02:05 AM

Not too worried about it being vegetarian. Get your own bucket, fill it with canned and pouched and dried meat, expanded staples, and other consumables. Like a brick or two of .22, a couple boxes of something more potent, some fishing tackle, wire, and a couple of rat traps. You've got your meat.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 02:12 AM

Absolute crap nutritional value, absolutely low quality food, you could buy a case of Ramen noodles and some cans of soup and get better quality than this stuff. Low protein levels, lots of extra gunk you don't need, way too much sodium.

Alpinaire is better quality, worth the extra money.

Posted by: BobS

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 03:14 AM

I’m supposed to watch my sodium intake, it’s impossible to get away from the stuff; everything seems to have it in it, even sugar cookies, why is sodium in sugar cookies?????
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 03:30 AM

Im sure if Sue reads this she'll fill u in a little bit more, but a lot of times salt is added in pastries and desserts... like donuts
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 04:13 AM

I believe they are having legal issues w/this item... something about nutritional value.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/05/08 05:02 AM

Link to legal issue?

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/07/08 03:43 AM

Well, my theory was to use spam. :->
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/07/08 04:40 AM

I believe this is part of it:
http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/07/08 09:16 PM

Wow! That guy knows how to make a point in a written complaint!

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/07/08 10:21 PM

> I believe this is part of it:
> http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf

Sigh - brings in the nazis and concentration camps. I know that in some states, lawyers cannot be both the lawyer and a member of the class in class action lawsuits because it's a conflict of interest. I'm curious whether the State of Washington allows Pope to represent the class and to be its lawyer. shrug - the courts will know and make him choose.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/07/08 10:31 PM

I love that he says a "religious sub-class", but not which one. I know I slept through a lot of my law classes, but don't you have to specify who was harmed if you make a particular claim like this?

The calorie count is a joke, but the salt... let's face it, most of us are land locked. We have to import salt. Salt is good within reason. :P
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Costco selling 275-serving bucket o' stuff - 07/08/08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: philip
> I believe this is part of it:
> http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf

Sigh - brings in the nazis and concentration camps. I know that in some states, lawyers cannot be both the lawyer and a member of the class in class action lawsuits because it's a conflict of interest. I'm curious whether the State of Washington allows Pope to represent the class and to be its lawyer. shrug - the courts will know and make him choose.

I've done some class action work. I don't think there is any prohibition on the lead plaintiffs and class lawyers being one and the same. If the class lawyer has never done any class work, then he might be subject to a challenge as competent counsel. Usually, you cna cure that by associating with another lawyer with class experience, iirc.