Long Term Storage Containers

Posted by: DFW

Long Term Storage Containers - 04/26/08 01:05 PM

(If this has been discussed earlier, would someone give me a link to the thread?)

We have talked about the plastic containers that are not appropriate or safe to store water, but would they do for dry goods?

As I empty the nice, big, sturdy plastic juice bottles that my recycling plant won't take (they are limited to 1, 3 & 4, I think), I wonder if I could clean and sanitize them well and store rice, beans, pasta, etc in them with relative safety?

DFW
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Long Term Storage Containers - 04/26/08 01:08 PM

that's what I do.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Long Term Storage Containers - 04/26/08 01:55 PM

Should be fine if you can run them through the dishwasher. I might put a layer of teflon tape on the threads to improve the moisture/air tightness of the seal.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Long Term Storage Containers - 04/26/08 11:17 PM

We store all kinds of stuff in old plastic juice bottles, no ill effects yet (my hair fell out long before we started using them)...
Posted by: EHCRain10

Re: Long Term Storage Containers - 04/27/08 01:05 AM

the Teflon tape on the threads is a good idea
Posted by: ghm

Re: Long Term Storage Containers - 05/05/08 04:43 AM

I re-use any of the food rated containers and some that are not (such as bleach jugs) but most I do not find large enough for most of my uses. I had a hard time finding containers until I found this company. Since they will sell in any quantity I have found them handy. They also have some good information on their site concerning food storage etc. including a food storage calculator that I have found useful.
http://www.containerandpackaging.com/Itemtype.asp
I have no affiliations with this company.