List of tools for everday and emergency use

Posted by: BrianTexas

List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 05:19 PM

Here's the confessional: Hi, my name is Brian and my Dad never taught me about tools. However, I'm learning over time and can do some of the basics (drive a nail, measure and cut wood).

I'm trying to gather my general ETS supplies and wanted to ask what ya'll thought about the necessary, but ordinary (i.e., hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, saws, etc.) tools one should have at their house. This would serve two purposes: everyday uses and emergency repairs where power might not be available.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Posted by: Eugene

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 05:30 PM

1. Hammer of course
2. Prybar/nail puller/crowbar of some sort
3. A normal + and flat screwdriver. those ones with the bits are nice but sometimes the bit holders don't fit down in a deep hole so keep a couple normal screwdrivers around for those.
You don't need wrenches too much for general house repair, maybe an adjustable or two. I keepwrenches in the larger toolbox that for ar/lawnmower/wagon/bike/whatever repairs.
4. Utility knofe and spare blades
5. Hack saw and blades. A coarse tooth hacksaw blace can be used to cut wood in a pinch
6. Ruler/square/straightedge to help mark straight lines.
7. Hand saw and maybe a miter box.
8. tape duct and electrical.
9. A pair of those all in one electricians pliers, they aren't the best at anything but you can cut and strip a wire if needed to fix an appliance.
Posted by: Blast

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 05:51 PM

Level
T-square
socket set (English and metric)
Electric drill (perferably one with variable speeds)
ladder
toilet auger
Assorted drill bits
Masonary drill bits
Drywall screws
assorted nails
assorted nuts, washers and bolts
wire (electrical and bailing wire)
electrical tape
air compressor (at least a small one for car/bike tires though the bigger the better)
sodering iron
pry bar
spackle knife
paint can opener (saves damaging a screw driver)
measuring tape
hack saw
coping saw
sand paper (assorted grits)
emory cloth
assorted wood rasps
assorted metal files
file cleaning brush
brass brushes
Electric grinder
Dremel tool with assorted bits (drills, grinders and cut-off wheels)
safety glasses
dust mask
circular saw
skill saw
sledge hammer
spade shovel
staple gun
propane torch
hose clamps (assorted sizes)
garden hoses
garden hose menders
pipe wrenches
sponges
straight edge
rope
twine
assorted chresent/box-end wrenchs
high-powered spotlight with stand
halogen light with stand
"trouble light with hanging hook
extension cords
assorted C-clamps
Wood glue
Gorilla glue
silicone cualk and caulking gun
spakle
super glue
JB Weld
two-part epoxy
masking tape
metal scribe
wood scribe
grease pens
glass cutter
block and tackle/pulley
small magnet on telescoping extender
"stubby" screwdrivers
vise
vicegrips
needle-nose pliers
tin snips
wire cutter
bolt cutter
pruning shears
leather punch

-Blast

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 06:38 PM

Actually, two of everything except for the toilet auger.

That's a list of everything I know I've used in the last twelve months doing basic repairs and improving the hurricane resistance of our 10-year old house.

Oh, add a multimeter (voltage/amps/resistance and a stud-finder.

-Blast
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 06:38 PM

No, at least 2 preferably 3 (triple redundancy) laugh of everything grin.

Pete
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 06:46 PM

my tool shelf in the basement is somewhat like Blast's..
however--what i find i really use is a hammer..screwdrivers.
a small set of socket wrenches..hand saw..for electric work
i use a Leatherman tool..a power screwdriver comes in handy,
i never used one untill i started putting flatpack book cases
and such from Ikea together..a power drill and saw don't get
much use but come in handy if you really need them..a hammer
will pull nails so the only use my crowbar got was to rip out
the steel bathtub when i put in a hot tub---
if i were you i would look around a yard sales..i"ve walked
away with a lifetime supply of nuts--bolts--washers--nails
plus files--screwdrivers--all the tools that some granddad
had gathered over a lifetime..
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 06:50 PM

Although I am a father of three, I really do not consider myself a stud blush, just persistent grin. However, if your stud finder is going off pointed at me crazy, who am I to argue with such a high tech device whistle.

Pete
Posted by: Andy

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 08:02 PM

Brian, another similar thread with the twist of tools which don't require electricty.
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 08:55 PM

Thanks to all who've replied so quickly! I particularly like Blast's List (lots of gear shopping to consider grin ) Although...which one of your listed tools would be useful as a Cat Training Device? confused

Sorry I missed the earlier post in Da'Plane. I just assumed that it was a discussion on the relative merits of social commentary provided by the earlier version of Fantasy Island and had skipped it.

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 09:56 PM

Quote:
which one of your listed tools would be useful as a Cat Training Device?

Garden hose. No, wait... eek

-Blast
Posted by: Eugene

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 10:15 PM

"Cat Training Device" takes me back to the cats as pushsticks thread on the wooddorking ng.

anyway, don't run out and buy a whole load of tools all at once. You'll end up with a bunch of clutter and never be able to find half of them.

buy yourself one or more tool boxes and categorize them. i have one for general around the house work, has my hammer, level, tape measure, etc. then I have another for mechanical type of work, wrenches, socket sets, etc. Its one of those with a few little drawers for each type. It sits on top of a rolling tool cheat which has more specific things like jack stands, compression tester, etc. so if I'm doing basic work around the house i can just grab that box and have everything I need. Automotive work I can roll the whole mechanics type chest to where I need stuff.
I have a lot of wooddorking tools too so i have a nice rolling box for those for when I'm actually doing a nice big project.

look for sales at places like sears for christmas and fathers day, then wait and go the week after. sears espically will have a 21 piece socket set for $29.99 for a fathers day sale. The week after they will clear it out at $19.99 to make room for the new improved 20 piece set for $29.99. I've bought most of my tools that way. A guy I worked with took my suggestion and went in the week after a big sale and pointed to the big 4x4 display hanging above the isle with a huge several piece set of tools strapped to it and saw the shelf below it and told them he wanted that set. they couldn't find any more in stock so they sold him the display and he strapped it to the roof of his little car and drove it back to the office where we proceeded to laugh at a what looked like a billboard on the top of his car until he showed us the $500 price tag and the receipt showing he paid $50 for it.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/24/08 11:52 PM

Brian -

Sounds like you're starting pretty much from scratch, with a lot of tool-buying ahead of you.

If you haven't already, consider a trip to Harbor Freight. As you may know, their prices are hard to beat, and an inexpensive way for the beginner to quickly acquire tools. Yes, 99% of their stuff is Made in China (what isn't these days), and some of it I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole. But, even though I have a small fortune invested in Makita, Porter-Cable, Delta, and Dewalt (much of it woodworking), there are certain of their tools that will perform satisfactorily (especially for casual or infrequent use) at a great price. It helps to have some knowledge of what constitutes acceptable vs. unacceptable; maybe take a knowledgeable friend along.

As you discover which tools you use a lot, if any, and learn what qualities you want, then you can spring the big bucks.
Posted by: LED

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 01:39 AM

Sears Craftsman hand tools are good general use, affordable tools. Plus, if you break one or wear it down you can get it replaced at Sears for free. (I pretty sure they still do that) They also have bundled tool packs on sale from time to time which are a good deal.
Posted by: handyman

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 01:48 AM

Here's my list for basic hand tools for a beginer .
16 oz. curved claw hammer for light/finish work
20oz. , or larger , straight claw hammer for framing or demolition
sledge hammer
tape measure
framing square
combonation square
tool belt and pouches - doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive .
crow bar
flat pry bar
vise grips
adjustible wrench
socket set
screw drivers
nail set
2 hand saws - one for finish cuts & one for rough cuts
hack saw
maybe a coping saw but it takes practice to master it
pipe wrench
utility/razor blade knife
cats paw - for pulling nails
safety glass's
saw horses
work bench - You should make the saw horses and work bench yourself . It will help you to learn how to do things with the tools
some good books on carpentry , plumbing etc.

I might have left something out but this is a good starter list

Power tools are another matter . \
For a beginer I would not buy top of the line power tools but don't get a piece of crap either
The 1st power tools you should get would be a circular saw and a good cordless drill/screwgun . Dewalt makes pretty good , reasonably priced power tools
I would'nt go too nuts buying a bunch of tools right away . Just get some basics and see what you can do . I've seen many garages full of tools that never get used .

Hope this helps

I almost forgot ; A first aid kit , bandaids , tweesers for pulling splinters , some ice for when you smash your thumb with a hammer and a good working knowledge of the proper sware words to use when you make mistakes .

Posted by: teacher

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 02:50 AM

Lots of building/ home repair reference books
Posted by: JohnnyUpton

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 03:31 AM

A minimum IMO

Hammer
4 Lb Maul
Wonderbar
Wedge

3/8 Drive Socket set (Metric and SAE) w/ extensions
Crescent Wrench
Allen Wrenches (Std & Metric)
Pipe Wrench
Channel Lock Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Linemans Pliers
Screwdrivers

Wood Saw
Hack Saw w/ metal blades

Cordless Drill
Circular Saw

Voltage Tester

Tool Belt & Tool Box
Safety knife & Blades
Speed Square
Framing Square
2’ Level
Tape Measure
Chalk line
Carpenters Pencil
Paint stick
Sharpie

Torch, Solder, Flux, Brush and cutter

Depending on your financial situation, I’d try and buy either Craftsman (Sears) or Husky (Home Depot) tools. Things like screwdriver sets, socket set, wrench sets are always on sale and not much more that Harbor Freight with the added bonus of being able to return them when you misuse them (Using a screw driver as a pry bar) and they become damaged.

YMMV
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 03:36 AM

Quote:
4 Lb Maul

I'd move on up to a sledge unless this has the same size handle. The short handled versions are knuckle busters for me.
Posted by: Mike_in_NKY

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 08:10 AM

Most of the basics have been covered. Buying them slowly and on sale is a great idea. Harbor Freight does have cheap prices, but you often get what you pay for. They do have their place though.

Best advise is to buy a good quality tool instead of a piece of junk. I know I have often struggled with buying something that was cheaper than what I wanted and then ended up buying the one I really wanted later!

For larger tools consider renting them instead. Sears makes good quality hand tools, very suitable for a home owner that uses them infrequently. I don't particularly like Sears for power tools (often only Sears will sell the consumables that fit) or Black&Decker power tools (cheap crap) IMO. Tools can become an obsession (sort of like knives or guns!) if you let it.

One thing to do is to visit various stores to look at and handle the various tools particularly lower priced and higher priced same tools. Gives you a perspective of what the differences are. Make a buying decision after checking out various brands at different price points.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 04:10 PM

Don't forget a tool set for DW or GF.

Just kidding ladies....

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 04:34 PM

Quote:
Sears for power tools

Unless it's got features other's don't like a goose-neck drill, go with a brand name for power tools. Sears's warranty isn't any better than the big name's on power tools. Back before you could find Home Depot or Lowe's most places, they were the local consumer source for quality, lifetime warranty hand tools.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/25/08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Don't forget a tool set for DW or GF.

Just kidding ladies....

love it! laugh laugh laugh

Posted by: Susan

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 03:50 AM

GOOD wirecutters, not those tiny little ones.

A BIG honkin' screwdriver, like 18" long. Sometimes you can find them at garage sales. Two is even better.

Sue
Posted by: JohnnyUpton

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 06:27 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
4 Lb Maul

I'd move on up to a sledge unless this has the same size handle. The short handled versions are knuckle busters for me.

Both would be best. grin

Personal preference with the short handled maul. For most "minor" work its easier to control.

If you are trying to massage something with a 16 or 20lb sledge, you better know what you are doing.

Posted by: RayW

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 12:19 PM

The Ten Best Tools of All Time,

1. Duct Tape - Not just a tool, a veritable Swiss Army knife in stickum and plastic. It's safety wire, body material, radiator hose, upholstery, insulation, tow rope, and more - in an easy to carry package. Sure, there's prejudice surrounding duct tape in concours competitions, but in the real world, everything from LeMans-winning Porsches to Atlas rockets use it by the yard. The only thing that can get you out of more scrapes is a cell phone and AAA (See 10).

2. Vise-Grips locking pliers - Equally adept as a wrench, hammer, pliers, baling wire twister, breaker-off of frozen bolts and wiggle-it-till-it-falls-off tool. The heavy artillery of your tool box, locking pliers are the only tool designed expressly to fix things screwed up beyond repair. Can also be used as a very effective thermal conducter that will transfer the heat from welding into the palm of your hand.

3. Spray Lubricants - A considerably cheaper alternative to new doors, alternator, and other squeaky items. Slicker than pig phlegm, repeated soakings will allow the main hull bolts of the Andrea Doria to be removed by hand. Strangely enough, an integral part of these sprays is the infamous Little Red Tube that flies out of the nozzle if you look at it cross eyed (one of the 10 worst tools of all time).

4. Margarine Tubs with Clear Lids - If you spend all your time under the hood looking for a frendle pin that careened off the pertal valve when you knocked both off the air cleaner, it's because you eat butter. Real mechanics consume pounds of tasteless vegetable oil replicas just so they can use the empty tubs for parts containers afterward. (Some of course chuck the butter-colored goo altogether or use it to repack wheel bearings.) Unlike air cleaners and radiator lips, margarine tubs aren't connected by a time/space wormhole to the Parallel Universe of Lost Frendle Pins.

5. Big Rock at the Side of the Road - Block up a tire. Smack corroded battery terminals. Pound out a dent. Bop noisy know-it-all types on the noodle. Scientists have yet to develop a hammer that packs the raw banging power of granite or limestone. This is the only tool with which a "Made in Malaysia" emblem is not synonymous with the user's maiming.

6. Plastic Zip Ties - After 20 years of lashing down stray hose and wiring with old bread ties, some genius brought a slightly slicked-up version to the auto parts market. Fifteen zip ties can transform a hulking mass of amateur- quality wiring from a working model of the Brazilian Rain Forest into something remotely resembling a wiring harness. Of course it works both ways. When buying a used car, subtract $100 for each zip tie under the hood.

7. Ridiculously Large Craftsman Screwdriver - Let's admit it. There's nothing better for prying, chiseling, lifting, breaking, splitting or mutilating than a huge flatbladed screwdriver, particularly when wielded with gusto and a big hammer. This is also the tool of choice for all filters so insanely located that they can only be removed by driving a stake in one side and out the other. If you break the screwdriver--and you will just like Dad and your shop teacher said--who cares, it has a lifetime guarantee.

8. Bailing Wire - Commonly known as MG muffler brackets, bailing wire holds anything that's too hot for tape or ties. Like duct tape, it's not recommended for concours contenders, since it works so well you'll never need to replace it with the right thing again. Bailing wire is a sentimental favorite in some circles, particularly with the MG, Triumph, and flathead Ford set.

9. Bonking Stick- This monstrous tuning fork with devilish pointy ends is technically known as a tie-rod separator, but how often do you separate tie-rod ends? Once every decade if you're lucky. Other than medieval combat, its real use is the all-purpose application of undue force, not unlike that of the huge flat-bladed screwdriver. Nature doesn't know the bent metal panel or frozen exhaust pipe that can stand up to a good bonking stick. (Can also be use to separate tie-rod ends in a pinch, of course, but does a lousy job of it).

10. Cell Phone and AAA
Posted by: Crowe

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 02:57 PM

My guide to screwdrivers. This will hook you up for all things requiring a Phillips or Flathead Driver.

5-in-1 Screwdriver Sometimes also marketed as a 4-in-1, this is halfway between a conventional screwdriver and a magnetic bit driver. Magnetic bits always seem to fail to retain their bits at the worst possible moment, but a 5-in-1 (and the Klein is excellent) will handle a large majority of your Phillips and Flathead screw needs.

Husky 8-in-1 Miniature Screwdriver Similiar to the 5-in-1, this little widgey has replaced the older jewelers screwdrivers that seemed to line the bottom of my tool bag.

Those two tools above will handle 99% of your fastener tool needs for less than $20. Keep a set in your drawer, you car, keep 'em handy as you will use them over and over again. Now for the more pricey specialty stuff.

Conventional Screwdriver Assortment As others have mentioned, sometimes, you NEED a regular screwdriver. 99% of the time, these will hang neatly on your bench and the 5-in-1 will do the work, but sometimes you need the reach, strength or thinness of a conventional. I favor Kleins as Cooper Tools (The parent company, also makers of Xcellite tools), uses good steel and the tips of their screwdrivers can take abuse without deforming too much. They are a little more pricey than Craftsman though (though worth it IMHO).

Huge Flat Blade It is better to think of this less of as a screwdriver and more of as a narrow prybar. Make sure you get a brand that has a lifetime guarantee.

Extra-Long No.2 Phillips, Extra Long 3/16 Slotted Sometimes, though rarely, you need that extra reach. Another Bench Queen.

Ratcheting Offset Screwdriver Rarely used, but invaluable when you need it to get into an impossible place. I DON'T favor bits for this style, as they have a larger profile, and you are quite likely to lose the bit in a hard to reach place.

No.2 Phillips Stubby, 3/16 Slotted StubbyA set of stubbies for those that can't be answered by above. Yet another "rainy day" type of tool.

Cordless Electric Screwdriver I DO NOT recommend a cordless driver for metal on metal work (machine screws), as they have a tendency to strip heads, but in softer materials (wood screws), a cordless is a nice time saver. I favor Dewalt in power tools, they really outperform Craftsmen.

Magnetic Pickup For picking up the inevitably dropped screw.

Screw Starter I don't use this as often as I should, but YOU should use one if you are in danger of dropping a screw somewhere you shouldn't.
Posted by: JRJ

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 03:03 PM

I would recommend:

felling axe(great general purpose axe)
hammer
prybar
hack saw
wood saw
mini screwdriver set
screwdriver
phillips screwdriver
linesman pliers
needle nose pliers
wire strippers
voltage meter
puddy knife
channel locks
wrench & socket sets
measuring tape
ruler
square
plunger
C-clamps
razor blades and holder
tapping tool

That's off the top of my head. I would personally recommend KLEIN tools. I have used klein tools in commercial and industrial environments, I have trusted my life to them. You will not find a more durable, tough and functional set of tools anywhere else and they will last you a lifetime.

Good luck

Posted by: handyman

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/26/08 09:34 PM

Heres a list of some tools that I would not buy again ;

1. Husky hand tools - especially chisels and hand saws
2. Buck hand tools - again , especially chisels and hand saws
3. Craftsman power tools are sort of ok and cheaper than most brands but I don't like them
4. Ryobi power tools - very cheap but like they say , you get what you pay for .

IMO ; Stanley still makes the best handtools for the money . Craftsman has some pretty good handtools especially the wrench's and socket sets

Just my opinion

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 03:01 AM

RayW

LOL!!
grin grin grin

-Blast

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 01:24 PM

JRJ,

Hey, welcome to the fire newguy! Klein tools? Where do you find them?

-Blast
Posted by: JRJ

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 02:04 PM

Blast,

Thanks for the welcome. You can find klein tools at Home Depot or Lowes - the tools are hidden in the electrical section. Klein tools are made in america from a company thats been around for over 150 years. Check out http://www.kleintools.com/ for more information and to find other locations near you. I cannot say enough great things about this tool company and its products, they really cannot be compared to any other tool manufacturer.

JRJ
Posted by: Crowe

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 03:55 PM

+1 for Klein. Klein, Xcellite, and Wiha are my preferred handtool vendors, athough I still favor Craftsman for hammers, wrenches, and socket sets.

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 05:54 PM

For me the 4lb puts fingers too near too much moving mass & what ever was laying next to what I was going to hit. If I'm using anything heavier than a claw hammer, it's for demolition.

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 06:22 PM

Another fine accessory for the toilet auger is a pair of long think rubber gloves. The black septic goop that the auger churns up has a persistent stinkiness to it.
Posted by: sok

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/27/08 10:02 PM

Everyday and emergency use. Must have.
(Forgive me if I missed it.)
Plumbing, electrical, auto, the grille at 3:00AM......
Plenty of situations where you can't do any of the above efficiently without.....

A small flashlight you can hold in your teeth.
Absolutely essential.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/28/08 03:54 AM

http://survivalsolutions.com/store/product71.html

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/28/08 02:02 PM

Welcome to the fire sok!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/28/08 02:27 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 01/28/08 02:28 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!
Posted by: bigmbogo

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/01/08 07:00 PM

Am I the only person who thinks Craftsman tools are inexcusable junk? I can't help but think that anyone who thinks a Craftsman ratchet or sockets are good quality has never used ANYTHING better than Craftsman or the cheapest Dollar Store garbage. Try an SK, Mac, or Snap-on just one time, and you'll realize what a con job Sears has done on us.

I think 30 years ago, Craftsman was moderate quality, at best. It was good enough for general use. I think we are nostalgic for those days, without realizing Sears gave up on quality long ago. Today, the stuff just plain breaks, and is downright unpleasant to use until that (inevitable) time.

"You can get a free replacement any time, with no hassles!", people say. So what? I have a box of Craftsman garbage waiting for me to make a trip to the store. I guess I'm not too motivated because the best I can expect is more of the same junk in exchange.

News flash: This is "Equipped to SURVIVE". How many survival scenarios involve a trek to the nearest Sears store to replace your tools that you were trying to save your life with?

I have Craftsman ratchets that have seen the lightest of use that are completely stripped. Sockets that are split wide open. Even when their sockets are new, they fit so sloppily that they round the hexes off bolts. The screwdrivers are embarrassing. Soft metal, with really bad grinds. Someone mentioned a big Craftsman screwdriver as being a real useful tool. I've got one of those in my box, with the end broken off, along with a bunch of smaller ones in the same condition, and Phillips that no longer look like Phillips. How do you destroy a Phillips tip, other than by using it on screws? Not exactly punishing use.

I feel better now.

FWIW,

David
Posted by: REDDOG79

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/03/08 12:48 AM

As far as Klein tools go they are some wonderful tools. I work in construction as an Ironworker/Rigger/Welder/Fitter and a lot of my tools are made by Klein and I know most of the electricians only use Klein tools. I am about to find out how good their warranty is on one of my tools soon. I broke one of their 7/8 diam. round connecting bars the other day. I have replaced it woth an OTC bar since in case they deny it but as i was not abusing it and i was using it by hand they should replace it.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/06/08 02:23 PM

I'm a total tool nut. There's times I'm at the store, and I don't ask IF I have that tool, I ask if I need ANOTHER of that tool.

Over time, I've broken pretty much every tool made, and I've learned to buy a bit more carefully. While Mac and SK tools are fantastic, I don't think it's realistic for everyone to be able to afford a kit like those.

That said, I've found that there are some ready-made kits that are fantastic starter tool kits. In particular, I picked up a kit from Home Depot that has been really useful, in a lot of ways.

It's this this kit from Home Depot.. Now this kit is missing a few important things, specifically tools for cutting, boring and measuring, so to this kit I'd add a cordless drill that uses an 18v or greater battery, a set of twist and spade drill bits from 1/16 to 1 1/2" by 16ths up to 1/2" and by 1/8" over 1/2".
I like Pull Saws, they are compact and cut well.
A good hacksaw and a set of blades is a must.
For measuring, the tool kit has a decent 25' tape measure, but a Try Square (6") would be a useful addition.

A good, stout prybar can get you out of a lot of problems.

Finally, you'll want a decent flashlight and a bin of fasteners - drywall screws from 1" to 2 1/2", some nails, some machine screws.

Posted by: Chisel

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/09/08 10:24 AM

Soldering torch

Posted by: porkchop

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/09/08 11:55 AM

The one thing that didn't appear on anyone's list is probably the most used plumbing tool in existence...

The Plunger or plumber's helper or whatever clever name you call it. grin

I can hammer a nail with a rock.
Maybe, drive a screw with a coin.
But, there is no way I am going to use my hand to unstop a plugged up toilet! sick
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/09/08 06:52 PM

+5!! Way to go porkchop...
Posted by: xavier01

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 02/13/08 09:24 AM

Maybe it's too late, but during the holidays, Home Depot had some sets of tools for really cheap. I don't know quality and I don't know what's needed either, but maybe they still have some left over.
Posted by: teacher

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 06/30/19 11:20 PM

Eye and ear protection, gloves, FAK, work books, and other protective gear
Posted by: 9Line

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 07/23/19 02:17 PM

Another list with some justification.

http://moljinar.com/page6/files/Disaster%20Cleanup%20Tools.pdf
Posted by: adam2

Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use - 07/29/19 12:31 PM

Many good suggestions already made, to which I would add, not just a toilet plunger as has just been suggested, but a full set of drain rods including a rubber disc for clearing toilets.
Most toilets plungers have rather short handles, but use of a drain rod keeps ones hand further away from the waste.

With suitable brushes, drain rods can also be used for sweeping most types of flue or chimney.
Also useful for prodding and poking anything that you don't want to touch.

In addition, do not forget plenty of spares or duplicates of items liable to wear or breakage, saw blades and drill bits in particular. And small items vulnerable to loss.
Several small and reasonably cheap pocket knives are useful, in an emergency it is surprisingly easy to loose them.
Many members of these forums probably replace or upgrade pocket knives when a better model is available, don't forget to put the old ones in your emergency tool kit.