Are there posts missing

Posted by: ducktapeguy

Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 12:43 AM

Wasn't there a post earlier about gold and silver? I'm just wondering what happened to it. I just caught the very beginning of it, and was hoping to come back and read some more but then it disappeared. Now that I think about it, once in a while i'll start reading something and intend to come back to finish it but then it disappears.

If things did turn negative, couldn't we just lock the post to prevent any further replies rather than deleting it?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 02:41 AM

I posted a reply to something about 30 mins ago, and it is a gonner now. It wasn't anything wild or out of place, so I don't think that it got zapped, it is just gone...???...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 03:26 AM

I just did a search for silver coins- nada. Going back a month for something talked about a week ago.

I hope posts aren't getting eaten again.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 02:34 PM

It was my post, I had read the book "Lights Out" and in the book they used silver coins to purchase items they needed. I wanted to know if thats something that should be considered. The answers varied. Most said yes but almost as many said no and then we got on the topic of bartering, I asked what items and how much of each would be recommended to put aside for that purpose, we never got that far.
Posted by: DFW

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 07:10 PM

I didn't participate in the previous thread because I had no opinion one way or the other, but oddly, since then I have seen a couple of TV shows about precious-metal coins, and the LDS preparedness manual posted on another thread also advises accumulating such coins. Perhaps we should revisit the subject?

Years ago I was a checker in a grocery store, and every time a silver dime (I don't think I found any quarters) would show up in my till, I would swap it out for a clad-copper one in my pocket. I ended up with a small handful.

Where would you get precious metal coins? Coin shows of course, but given that the price to buy them is already many times their face value, is it feasible? In my TV watching, they mentioned a new (?) silver dollar coin made of real silver. If it is new currency, I wonder if you can get those at the bank? I have a couple of old silver-certificate paper dollars. Do they still have to give you silver on demand for them at the bank?

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 07:36 PM

I don't know about getting them at the local bank, I do know you can get them from some of the TV programs and also in the newspaper, and Ebay is also an option.

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 09:39 PM

I'm still looking for a reply to my question about bartering, what items and whats a reasonable amount set aside for bartering, seems no one wants to tackle it. I mean I have a pretty good Idea just wanted to see what everyone else thinks and if I'm missing anything.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 10:03 PM

Barter items, IMHO
Food & water
Medicine
Firearms & Ammo
Personal skills
Batteries and matches
car parts
Posted by: DFW

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 10:05 PM

Shouldn't / couldn't bartering and coins be separate threads to ensure that those that have strong opinions on one or the other have free discussion of their preferred method without feeling inhibited by those with the opposite preference?

Both seem valid topics for discussion.

Perhaps an argementative trend is what got the thread deleted in the first place?
Posted by: OIMO

Re: Are there posts missing - 12/09/07 10:25 PM

I would add toiletries to the list of barter items. esp. Toilet Paper, Wipes, etc.

On Gold & Silver front 'bullion coins', i.e. those whose value is effectively tied to the value of the material, as distinct from rare old coins made from precious metals, that have a greater value than their material worth are what you should be looking for. Examples of bullion coins include the Kruggerand, Canadian Maple and Gold Eagle.

Take a look at this site from loads of background info, it is in the UK, but they will ship to the US:
http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/coinsorbars.html

The ETS audience might especially like this coin design:
http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/2007fiftypencegoldproofscouting.html

BTW Gold is setting record prices at the moment, so it is perhaps not the best time to start building a hoard!
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Barter Items - 12/10/07 04:14 PM

I have to disagree with your list. Everything on it is something you might need and not be able to replace. Sure its makes sense that people would want those items, but wouldn't it be better to trade luxury items, or items that are cheap now, but hard to get in a disaster?

How about soap? Soap lasts forever and its relatively cheap. In a disaster hygiene is both a luxury and an absolute necessity to combat disease. While you can make soap pretty easiy from animal fat and wood ashes, how many people will actually be doing that (or have animal fat to spare)? Soap is potentially a very useful item for trade.

Salt is another item I'd consider, it has many, many uses. Its hard to obtain in most places of the world unless you live on the coast or near a large halite deposit. But again, during normal times its cheap and easy to store. I'd get coarse Kosher salt by the 3 lb box and put each box in a zip lock bag (only important if you live in a really humid climate). Already measured out for easy use and trade.

Finally, what about unroasted coffee beans? More expensive then the other two, but if you can trade a luxury item for a necessity isn't that better then trading necessity you might need later? For people who drink coffee changing your drinking habits a bit would make stock piling a supply to trade laughably simple. How many people do you know that are ready to kill for a cup of coffee after only a day with out caffeine?

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy. Besides firearms are expensive, I can't store nearly as many as I can other items, and they're only good for big purchases. However, I might give a firearm to someone who was my ally or to cement a treaty. Selling a firearm gives away a tactical advantage, while giving it to an ally creates a more solid tactical advantage.
Posted by: hamilton

Re: Barter Items - 12/10/07 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: AROTC

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy.

I can't remember who, but this reminded me of someone who has a signature that says

"He's dead Jim. You get his wallet, I'll get his phaser. Then I'll have both wallets."

Posted by: AROTC

Re: Barter Items - 12/10/07 10:29 PM

That used to be my signature! It's right up there with the Al Capone quote "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun then you can with a kind word alone".
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Barter Items - 12/11/07 12:48 AM

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy. Besides firearms are expensive, I can't store nearly as many as I can other items, and they're only good for big purchases. However, I might give a firearm to someone who was my ally or to cement a treaty. Selling a firearm gives away a tactical advantage, while giving it to an ally creates a more solid tactical advantage.

I agree IMHO if things were to the point where I was bartering, I would never trade anything that could be used against me even to cement an alliance. I may trade knifes but would be careful as to who got them. I would never trade a fire arm or ammo to anyone but a proven friend or family member.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Barter Items - 12/11/07 01:02 AM

I strongly agree with you, Ray!!!!!!!!
Posted by: ironraven

barter items - 12/11/07 03:11 AM

Big ones (actually, very little) that most people miss is the little metal bits we never think about- fish hooks, needles, pins, safety pins, etc. Especially good ones.

You'd be amazed how many of them you can pack into a five gallon can, and how heavy it will be. But if things tank so badly you are bartering long term, those will be things you can't make so easily and even then they won't be so good.

Oh, and try these old threads:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=68048
and
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=60273

Those are the ones that turned up in the search from "barter".
Posted by: Stu

Re: Barter Items - 12/11/07 09:57 PM

I have to disagree with your list. Everything on it is something you might need and not be able to replace. Sure its makes sense that people would want those items, but wouldn't it be better to trade luxury items, or items that are cheap now, but hard to get in a disaster?

How about soap? Soap lasts forever and its relatively cheap. In a disaster hygiene is both a luxury and an absolute necessity to combat disease. While you can make soap pretty easiy from animal fat and wood ashes, how many people will actually be doing that (or have animal fat to spare)? Soap is potentially a very useful item for trade.

Salt is another item I'd consider, it has many, many uses. Its hard to obtain in most places of the world unless you live on the coast or near a large halite deposit. But again, during normal times its cheap and easy to store. I'd get coarse Kosher salt by the 3 lb box and put each box in a zip lock bag (only important if you live in a really humid climate). Already measured out for easy use and trade.

Finally, what about unroasted coffee beans? More expensive then the other two, but if you can trade a luxury item for a necessity isn't that better then trading necessity you might need later? For people who drink coffee changing your drinking habits a bit would make stock piling a supply to trade laughably simple. How many people do you know that are ready to kill for a cup of coffee after only a day with out caffeine?

It's a list of items I may or may not have available. I sincerely doubt I'd be bartering with anyone I didn't know WELL, unless I REALLY needed something. I would not want unknown others to see what I have, at any time. If a well known friend needed a firearm or ammo, I'd possibly barter with them on those items, or any other item on my list. Strangers would be a whole nother story. Sorry I confused you.

I'm not storing many "luxery items", but am storing as many of what I see as necesseties as I can afford to buy, and have room for. Example Soap, I've a few 16 bar packs in my home storage, but I also know how to make soap if needed.

Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Barter Items - 12/11/07 10:49 PM

Ideally, we can all think of multiple ways through nwhich to obtain the things we need. Those people who are not so fortunate as to be able to get those things will want them. I think necessities are ideal items to haev for trade, provided you have or can obtain more than you need.

I had a buddy in college who came from a wealthy family in Panama. According to what he told me, the origins of the families wealth began with supplying water. His Grandfather supplied clean water for drinking during the building of the Canal. At first, he carried it, then as he made and saved money, he bought means by which to transport more. He also must have had a lot of business sense, because the family worked mainly on managing their investments. Clean water made their wealth, in large part, so necessities are not a bad thing to have for trade.

As far as luxury items, many may have no value what so ever, if everything really falls apart. If the economy and markets have all failed, then somethings thought of as prestigious items may have no value. If there is no gas or similar fuels available, luxury cars will be pretty useless.

Still, somethings, such as gold and silver, seem to always have value, without meeting a need more than decoration. Where and how one is going to be able to trade and barter in it, when society is in shambles, might be a big issue. If a major protion of your current wealth is wrapped up in a few coins, what kind of security are you going to need to bring them out and trade in them? I really do not ever see this happening in my lifetime, however I do have some coins.

Things that will satisfy things that others consider needs or assist others in satisfying needs seems to be the things of real value in a survival situation. I'd hope that in the short term, when disaster strikes and people are in need for a matter of weeks, my community (wherever I am) and myself band together and assist each other with some needs and barter never enters the picture.

A few things I think worth keeping for barter:

1. analgesics, simple pain meds. If people need to move and evacuate, someone is going to become sore, blsitered, banged, etc. A tylenol may be a real value for their comfort;
2. chlorine powdered or granulated, wonderful simple disinfectant for cleaning and cleaning water. It can be that you trade a bottle of bleach made with it or a gallon of water treated with it. Either may be of real value, and carrying the powdered chemical will be easier;
3. needles and fishing hooks. Either can be very useful in survival situation, are easily carried and are not commonly found in many households;
4. Salt, as sated above;
5. Rope, twine, string, thread, etc.;
6. Flints or other firestarters;
7. Yeast, although you mgiht prefer to trade a sourdough starter and save your extra packets of yeast.

Word of caution about chlorine, handle the stuff with some care and do not let a large quanity get warm. The chemical, calcium hypochlorite (calhypo) decomposes the entire time it exists. When it decomposes, it give off heat, when it gets warm, it decomposes faster. If it gets hot enough, it can go into runaway decomposition. In amounts as high as 10 lbs., it should be fine at 120 degrees F or so. But, as the amounts get larger the critical temperature gets lower. So do not go and fill your garage with the stuff and let it get above 100 degrees F or about 40 Celsius. If it goes into runaway decomposition, you will not be able to put out the fire that follows the explosion. If you want to read more, see http://www.onlinedmc.co.uk/in_re_m_v_dg_harmony.htm
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Barter Items - 12/12/07 12:01 AM

Quote:
If a well known friend needed a firearm or ammo, I'd possibly barter with them

If they're well known to the point I'd trade them for a firearm, I'd ask them to join the group instead.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Barter Items - 12/12/07 12:23 AM

For what its worth, I understand that in the former Soviet Union, after the fall and when the ruble was about worthless and getting less so, one of the most traded/barter items was plain old laundry detergent. Maybe think about the necessities and daily items. How valuable is that last roll of toilet paper?