December - What I've done for preparedness

Posted by: Anonymous

December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 12:23 AM

New month, new post...

- Bought 2 pair of water proof leather boots. Local store had a buy one, get the second pair for 50% off. Ended up saving about $100.00. Once both pair are broken in, one pair goes into the long term inventory.

- Rotated some toothpaste ( 4 tubes) that expired Feb. 2007 and somehow got missed. Tried the toothpaste this am and no difference compared to new so we will keep all the old and use it up.

- Local store has stewing beef on sale. Bought 7 lbs and will make some beef barley soup next weekend then can it all.

How is everyone else's prep coming along?

Posted by: Blast

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 02:26 AM

I just got my yearly two sets of Nomex coveralls from work along with new steel-toed boots.

I also bought more life insurance.

-Blast
Posted by: Microage97

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 02:29 AM

Hello Sherpadog,

I fixed up 18 gallons of water with a teaspoon of bleach each. I bought 200 Ft of real paracord. I need to learn some knots. While I was at the mil. surplus store I bought some black heavy leather gloves. Oh and I got some Berne insulated bibs for xmass.

Dave
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 02:41 AM

Bought me a new pair of boots, and helped my mom and sister start the long term preperations I have trying to get them to do for years. I guess they were actualy listening to me, either that or got tired of it and just gave in. Either way as long as it gets done it's a good thing.
Posted by: lazermonkey

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 05:04 AM

I socked alway some more cash for emergencies and inventoried all the stuff in my car.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 02:42 PM

New boots for my wife and I (the "boss" paid for them); got a Mule issued to us, equipped it with tools, ropes, etc; went thru both daypacks and refreshed the water in the bladders, munchies, etc. Installed charger for our GMRS radios in the new P/U and home on wheels...
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 04:07 PM

I bought two different solar battery chargers, one is designed to be carried while hiking and charges AAA and AA batterys and the other is more for the house or say a base camp and charges AAA, AA, D, C and 9 volts found them on Ebay here's the link.

http://www.solarwholesales.org/category.sc;jsessionid=108D0FCF62D8BADACFC73A1527EC532E.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=6

I also rotated gas and kerosene, checked the kerosene heater to make sure it was in good operating condition.

Stocked the freezer with meat and other frozen items, also added some rice, beans, barley, and other dry goods to the pantry.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 05:46 PM

raydarkhorse

How did you do it, I have been talking to a friend of mine ever since Jerico came on and have not made any real progress, the other day she did say she was thinking about it, thats something at least.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 07:26 PM

Replenishing my ammo stocks from the hunting/rec shooting season is on my list for the next while. I Re-loaded 300 rounds of .30-06(Barnes x triple shock) 500 rounds of .357 Mag(Hornady XPT JHP) 500 Rounds of .45 cal FMJ, and am currently reloading about 500 rounds of 00 buckshot. Besides food, water and stores of fuel, it never hurts to have a serviceable supply of quality ammunition on hand.

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 11:04 PM

Wow, 500 rounds of 00 buck. The other stuff I could shoot up in a heartbeat, but that much buck would last me forever...
Posted by: LED

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
New boots for my wife and I (the "boss" paid for them); got a Mule issued to us, equipped it with tools, ropes, etc;

OBG, congratulations. What are you gonna name it?
Posted by: Huck

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 11:28 PM

Cut up 4 deer from hunting season and DW canned 3 cases of meat from the deer. Reloaded 100 rounds of 30-06 ammo. Picked of a few groceries for the pantry and got everyone to the dentist. Still alot of things I want to get done but with XMas around the corner its doubtful due to the budget.

Huck

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/03/07 11:52 PM

We think that we will call it "Number 4" (that is how it is labeled...
Posted by: Taurus

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/04/07 02:31 PM

My friends and I save all the pumpkins we grow each year that are not used for carving on Halloween and have a big pumpkin shoot. Basically we prop them all on sticks and take turns blasting away. It doesn't take long to burn through 400 rounds of buckshot for this insanely fun activity. The rest are saved for brush hunting and added to my "just in case supply"

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/04/07 04:50 PM

I was cleaning out my truck kit and rotating some stuff out. I had things scattered all around the living room, they started asking me what this and that was for, after I showed/told them what somthing was for I pointed out things in their house that would serve the same purpose. After they realized they didn’t have to buy a lot of stuff they asked me help help them gather things together in one kit that’s easy to get to and if needed to load into the car. Now they are letting me help them, set up their pantry to make more storage while making it easier for them to find things.
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/04/07 05:09 PM

"It's Shadow's fault! I checked out the solar chargers and decided to give it a try." I'm not certain that the DW will buy this line when my package arrives in a few days. confused

I already use AA rechargables (standard plug in charger) for portable radios. I have definitely saved money after I recouped the cost of the charger and the batteries. I figure that the solar charger will give me greater independence should the power go out. I also liked the feature that allows multiple battery types.

Just FYI - The rechargables are for daily use. I still keep lithium and alkaline batteries for emergency purposes.

Posted by: frenchy

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/04/07 06:14 PM

Hi, Huuck !

What receipe do you use for canning that meat ??

TIA

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/05/07 01:15 PM

Just curious, who are "they"? Family, friends, neighbors, or something else???

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/05/07 03:11 PM

My mom and sister
Posted by: DFW

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/05/07 11:22 PM

Today I took a Red Cross Basic First Aid Course. (free - my company paid for it - but I think they only cost about $25 anyway)
Posted by: FritzMonroe

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/06/07 07:34 PM

I'm still real new and don't have all that much food put aside, probably just shy of a month right now. Added some beans to the food store. Added borax, Kosher salt and aluminum foil to the supplies.

Picked up 2 20# propane tanks off Craigs list for $5. Will fill them some time this week and add them to storage.

Wife and I have been working on our menu for the past couple weeks and adding in some meals to make with just our stores. We are making sure that when we buy the ingredients, we double or triple them to put into LTS.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/06/07 08:26 PM

took advantage of the new snow and cold weather to head down
to the Mississippi back waters to get a little "finger practice" with one of my survival stoves..

it was around 1:00 in the afternoon--first Wednesday of the
month and the city and suburbs starting sounding the storm
warning sirens for a test....Whoooooooooo...if i had my
shotgun along and this was a "survivalist" site i could
of got a good Youtube video....Whooooooo--grim looks..
Whoooooooooo--hope i can hold out untill "they" pass over..
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/06/07 11:26 PM

I checked the expiration dates of the stuff in my first aid kit in the car, and all are still good! I also put some water, snacks, and other odds and ends in an old messenger bag I wasn't using, and it's stowed away under the passenger seat. It's a great supplement to the EDC I always have with me and in the car already...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: December - What I've done for preparedness - 12/13/07 12:09 AM

- Went through the food prep and came up with enough food to fill a good sized rubber maid tote. This food is destined for the local food bank.

- Cooked and portioned out, then froze a big shwack of pasta. Ended up with 31 bags which will feed two with no problem.

- Picked up another 20 bars Ivory hand soap that was on sale for a very good price.

- Bought 6 pair of bootlaces for the 2 new pair of boots.

- Thanks to a previous post here and good reviews elsewhere on the net, today we bought a dozen Eneloop batteries. Some of these batteries will get a tryout over the next couple of weeks in the digital camera. I have also put 4 of these batteries in the BOB's.

Thats it for this week....