LDS Preparedness Manual

Posted by: Anonymous

LDS Preparedness Manual - 11/30/07 12:19 AM

The Nov 2007 LDS preparedness manual is available for viewing (PDF) or download here

It's a great manual once you get past the first 15 or so pages...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 11/30/07 06:23 AM

You know, if you're willing to surf past the partisan/religious parts (doesn't offend me), it's a valuable read.

Lots of solid information here, with an understandably U.S. persective of course, but then humans in crisis situations are remarkably alike in their responses, don't you think?

I find it remarkable that the information presented is:
a) defensive in nature (not looking for trouble, macho-wise, but preparing to deal with others with less honourable attitudes), and
b) remarkably comparable to the "homesteading" advice that might have been of value to immigrants to the United States and Canada over the past couple of centuries.

BTW, I now know more about beans and sprouts than I ever imagined. FWIW and LOL.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 11/30/07 07:38 AM

Thanks for the link, I'll read this and will probably print it out for future reference.
Posted by: capsu78

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 11/30/07 10:25 PM

Having been raised a Catholic on the East Coast, I met more folks turned off by Mormons than actual Mormans themselves.
Then I met one who I worked with and traveled with. We were identical in age and back in the day, when I was living in an Animal House on a Big Ten university, he was on his mission.
You couldn't find two people more different... or alike.
We went back and forth comparing our upbringings, and I had to say I understood his a lot better after having met him.
We could openly debate on business trips and then we had no discussion as to who was the designated driver.
At the time I was teaching myself canning tomatoes and made the mistake of braging about new found expertise...
He almost split his side and explained to me that canning is a semi professional pastime in Mormon households. I was pretty impressed with his description of "canning time".

The self reliance of the Mormons is deeply ingrained and A OK with me. While this PDF is targeted to that audiance, it is difficult to find much to argue with as to the nuts and bolts of their preparations.
Posted by: philip

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/01/07 01:02 AM

Remarkably helpful.
Posted by: famepp

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/01/07 01:31 AM

An incredible resource! Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: FritzMonroe

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/01/07 03:04 PM

Thanks for the link. This is really good stuff. I kind of wish I had more contact with LDS folks when I was younger. I'm playing catch up now. I've never canned anything, and the wife and I have just started really looking into how to become more self sufficient. Hopefully when we move next year we will get that garden going well and be able to can the excess.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/01/07 04:05 PM

Ya know it figures, here I am a member of the LDS curch and I get this from a totaly unrelated source.
Posted by: Microage97

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/02/07 03:08 PM

Thanks for the link. I am hopping to get rolling on food storage.
I have some but not a years worth.

Dave
Posted by: readyone

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/02/07 11:54 PM

Thanks for sharing this Great resource!

Any idea where one may obtain a manual without having to print out the 222 pages.

Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/03/07 12:06 AM

You can buy the manual from the same website here.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 12/03/07 02:55 AM

Start small & work your way up. During the start & end of the seasons, a garden can keep you very busy. This will let you plan the schedule as you get bigger. Granddad always had a LARGE garden but knew what to plant when to stagger the harvest.
Posted by: BobS

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 02/15/08 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: readyone
Thanks for sharing this Great resource!

Any idea where one may obtain a manual without having to print out the 222 pages.

Thanks!

Just click on file on the task bar and then “save as” and pick a name to save it on your computer. Then you can read it when needed or print any page you need.

OK that didn’t work, but clicking the picture of the floppy disk on the left did allow me to save it.

Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: LDS Preparedness Manual - 02/15/08 02:40 PM

This is excellent and very valuable information from people who know what they are taking about