The Summer I Was Lost, 1965

Posted by: Jagd

The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 04/10/05 11:20 PM

"The Summer I Was Lost" by Phillip Viereck, 1965. I read this as a kid, and just finished reading it to my kids, one chapter every night. They loved it, and I enjoyed it again. It's about a teenage kid who has trouble finding himself in society, and then goes to summer camp, where he gets lost in the New Hampshire woods during a storm. At camp he had learned survival skills, and made a few implements out of what he had on him. A fishhook made from a paper clip was probably his most useful creation, enabling him to catch trout for food. I expect that it's fiction, but a good read. It discusses survival techniques and situations quite a bit in the later part of the book. The forest ranger at the end even talks about his PSK in a small tin, which contains fishing hooks & line, a razor blade, waterproof matches, and bullion cubes. It may be hard to find, but I'd recommend it as a short easy read, and one that kids will enjoy.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 04/12/05 06:30 PM

Reminds me of " my side of the mountian" Or " the other side of the mountian". ( One is about teen survival the other about a paralyzed skiier.) The one about the teen is a good read.

tro
Posted by: brian

Re: The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 04/14/05 12:46 PM

Sound like a great book for reading to my son in a few years. I'll have to find a copy. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: brian

Re: The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 04/14/05 12:49 PM

I believe you're thinking of My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George which also appears to be a great book to add to my "when my son is a little older" collection.

Re: Found it for .25 cents on eBay - 04/16/05 02:12 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

Also available on www.half.com
Posted by: paulr

Re: Found it for .25 cents on eBay - 04/17/05 05:54 AM

Jagd, are you offering to send this book in the mail to another ETS member so s/he can read it and then send it on again? That's the purpose of the Lending Library forum; it's not intended for general book discussions and recommendations. I think it's better to use "Around the campfire" for general discussion purposes.

Re: If you want your own copy... - 04/20/05 01:58 AM

I am willing to lend, however, if an individual wished to obtain their own copy of the book, it's available for sale from various sources.
Posted by: WesleyH

Re: The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 07/17/19 01:27 AM

It is currently available (july of 2019) on Amazon for some reasonable prices. (just check the used versions!
Posted by: Tin

Re: The Summer I Was Lost, 1965 - 04/07/22 11:31 PM

This reminds me of a short story in one of my readers in grade school. A kid, they never mentioned his age, got caught out while running his trap line with his dog. He used his snowshoes to dig a hole in the snow lined it with bows and more on a shelf to sleep on, built a fire made a hook from a link of trap chain using a Leatherman and caught fish. I won't bore you with the rest but it was very good and it sparked my interest in wilderness survival. I wish I could remember the title.