African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia

Posted by: OutdoorDad

African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/29/07 04:59 PM

Quote:
Officials Use Raw Chicken, Camera to Check Out Reports of African Lion in West Virginia Woods
LEWISBURG, W.Va. — Using a video camera and raw chicken, state officials hope to learn whether the king of the jungle is prowling the woods of West Virginia.

Bow hunter Jim Shortridge believes he saw a full-grown, male African lion weighing between 250 and 300 pounds at the foot of Cold Knob Mountain earlier this month. The state Division of Natural Resources confirmed that at least one other person has reported seeing the lion.

Using a camera normally employed to catch people dumping trash illegally, the state Department of Environmental Protection has joined with Greenbrier County Animal Control Officer Robert McClung and exotic animal expert Jim Forga to see if they can substantiate the sightings.

Twenty pounds of raw chicken left on the site last week were devoured, but McClung said that doesn't prove the lion's existence...
source

Sure would change my hunting tactics if I was out there deer hunting!
Posted by: Susan

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/29/07 05:15 PM

A full-grown African lion weighs closer to 500-600 lbs.

But if there truly is one out there, it didn't get to WV by itself. Someone is probably in a panic to get it back before the authorities find out they've got it.

Are there any safari parks around there? A cheetah got loose in OR once, and plopped down on the freeway, stopping traffic. Someone from the nearby wildlife park hurried out with a leash and a vehicle to retrieve it.

Sue

Posted by: OutdoorDad

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/29/07 05:38 PM

How many of those hunting in that area are equipped for that kind of incounter either?
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 12:06 AM

If this is true, I feel pretty badly for that lion. I wouldn't be surprised if it belonged to some idiot who wanted an exotic animal as a "pet" and then neglected it when the poor thing got too big to handle.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 01:06 AM

we had a similar event happen out here in 2005 - an exotic pet owner 'lost' their tiger and told no one.

the cat was then killed because of what it appeared to be - took them eight days to track it down.

only to find out - after they killed it - that it was declawed and had had its canines removed.

last news was they were facing numerous charges..

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 01:14 AM

To paraphrase Teddy, walk softly and carry a big gun...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 02:23 AM

That was my second thought.

My first involved beer and a catamount.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: OutdoorDad
Sure would change my hunting tactics if I was out there deer hunting!

Yeah, I bet you’d give dousing your surroundings with deer urine a second thought, huh? And you thought the smell of deer urine could bring unwanted attention before!
Posted by: Susan

Re: African Lion loose in woods of West Virginia - 10/30/07 03:52 PM

"...dousing your surroundings with deer urine ..."

How about the guy here in WA who put the deer urine on his clothing? Where is that fool when you really need him?

Considering what the buck did to him, he could get a Darwin Award for what a lion could do.

Sue