anyone dye their hair ?

Posted by: picard120

anyone dye their hair ? - 09/30/07 09:41 PM

Have you guys dye your grey hair?
I am considering dyeing my hair. Most over the counter dye products contain carcinogenic chemicals.

Has anyone use non toxic dye products that last at least a week?
Posted by: Kris

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 09/30/07 10:21 PM

In my younger days, I took my brown hair and bleach the crap out of it. It was the late 80s and i think it was more bored during summer break then anything. And when it started to grow in i knew what 'roots' ment!!!!

But if I had grey hair i'd show it off! It could be worse, going bald. I started loosing my hair in my mid 20's (gotta love my dad's side of the family).

I'm in my low 30's and wishing i had more hair then the stuff that grows on the sides of my nogging. All i have is to use number 2 on the clippers to keep it short or shave it off (which i can't do - too many bumps from my younger days).

Long story short, show off the grey hair! I would if i could!!!!
Posted by: teacher

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 09/30/07 10:36 PM

hydrogen peroxide.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 04:15 AM

Simpel answer, no I don't.
Posted by: xavier01

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 04:39 AM

I dye my hair. Why does the package say not to dye any hair but on your head (for example, my chest) and not to re-dye your hair?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 01:43 PM

"...show off the grey hair! I would if i could!!!!..."

That is what I was going to say...
Posted by: Matt26

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 03:22 PM

Hell no! The way I see it is my grey is a reminder that I am the only male in the house and that I have three fantastic daughters and a fabulous wife I am blessed to call my best friend. BTW: I am drowning in an ocean of pink! Anyone got a camo life vest? grin
Posted by: chuuucky

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 04:07 PM

I agree with anyone who views their grey hair in the most positive manner posssible: think of it as SILVER, not grey. Silver refers properly to something of value to be earned. Grey is, well, not positive enough; sort of in the vein of "grey water" kind of. cm.
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 06:53 PM

Picard,

Become a teacher. Grey hair is viewed as an asset wink .

However, this only works for guys...

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 08:43 PM

ah. no thanks. I heard that teachers are paid poorly. I am not earning enough money in IT. I can't afford to earn less dough.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 08:45 PM

silver also means I lost the mojo. I still want to have the mojo to pick up the ladies.

I am seriously considering dyeing my hair.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 09:31 PM

picard120,

In my experience, there are ladies out there who dig grey hair on guys. I have a story but i'll save that for a private forum ;-)

But if you are going the dye route, do not do it yourself. Go to a salon and get it professionally done. Makes all the difference in the world. Besides, once you understand what it takes to dye your hair, then you can do it on your own.

Last thing you want is dye on your face that won't come off... or blindness... or worse - purple hair!!!!

Talk to the experts, watch what they do, ask questions, and learn. Thats what this forum is all about.

Kris
Posted by: bsmith

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/01/07 11:02 PM

IMHO, you never get a second chance to make a first impression (i heard that somewhere) - but there's a lot more to a first impression than grey hair, eh ladies?

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/02/07 02:04 AM

I have seen more than one silver haired sugar daddy with some real hotties on their arms. Silver ain't bad...
Posted by: samhain

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/02/07 02:35 AM

No indeed.

Each grey hair is a badge of honor. I've finally become a Silverback (face?) of the species.

Visable proof that I'm old enough to have outlived an ever increasing number of my enemies.

Besides, my beloved wife says it makes me look sexy cool

Posted by: OutdoorDad

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/02/07 02:13 PM

I used to get bummed out at the sight of a gray hair... now I am thrilled because after all it is a hair!

There are no blatant clear-cuts mind you... its more of a managed thinning of the woods.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/02/07 11:10 PM

Do ladies appreciate a man with grey/silver hair?
Do ladies think grey hair gives a man more character?
Posted by: widget

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/03/07 12:09 AM

Nope. Now if someone made some real wrinkle remover and chin lifts that you could use without pain, I would be in for that and then maybe consider getting rid of the grey.
Since I worked hard to get the grey and there are no miracle products around for the other aging afflictions, I will keep the grey, take it or leave it world!
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/03/07 04:32 PM

It won't be too long before I trade in the shampoo for turtle wax. So for the time I have left with my beloved hair, I'll enjoy the grey.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/03/07 05:04 PM

Regarding the hair dye question....No, not on purpose.

At the risk of sounding sexist, here is my wife-approved answer to your latest question:

In my limited experience, here are the qualities that I believe women appreciate in men:

1. Money and/or the ability to make money. The more the better.
2. Self confidence...which usually leads to #1.
3. Good listener. Even when it's torture.
4. No crying, whining or complaining....see #2
5. Groom and clean-up the looks you were given. Be less concerned about your own looks than the women in your life cares about her own looks.
6. Good sense of humor.

7. Grey hair, by itself, does not give a man more character. More character gives a man more character.

8. More money can be substituted and make up for any deficiencies in items 2 through 7.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/04/07 02:47 AM

You ever see James Coburn in Maverick? His silver mane looked pretty good...
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/08/07 03:52 PM

Where is this "hair" located? I have been led to believe that hair on the scalp is a sign of testosterone deficiency.

My story, and I'm sticking to it.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/08/07 04:41 PM

Sorry, I don't trust a guy who dies his hair.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/08/07 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: brandtb

why not? can you explain your mistrust?

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/09/07 02:29 AM

"...hair on the scalp is a sign of testosterone deficiency..."

I like that one!!!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/09/07 04:52 AM

Worrying about your hair color is a sign of being vain and shallow.

That said it has to be noted that this is a very vain and shallow society that is focused on surface beauty and wealth. Failure to meet the expectations of this society has a very high cost. The inversion of the 'Halo effect'.

I do note that studies of internal versus external shows of wealth shows that the poor don't struggle very much to maintain appearances. No point. From middle class and through the upper strata pressure to 'keep up with the Jones' increases.

But the upper tenth of one percent tend to show fewer external signs of wealth. Often having little more tendency to show their wealth than the lower ten percent. At the multi-Billion dollar level there is no need to prove anything to anyone. Quite a few of these folks live a lower middle-class lifestyle. But with the calm and knowing smile of someone who has nine figures well invested.
Posted by: bat69

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/09/07 11:46 AM

I dye mine every 6 weeks or so. I go to a ladies hair salon and use the same dye and color service that women use. It is by far the best way to cover grey, and get the longest lasting coverage. They've been doing it for eons, take advantage of what they have learned!

I used to use over the counter dyes that you can buy at the drug store "just for men" and the dyes that the leading manufacturers sell. ( clairol, etc..)

But, they just don't cut it as far as grey coverage is concerned. You wind up looking like you've used shoe polish on your head...AND , you can wind up dying your skin in the process.

I've found that coloring, with a bit of highlighting does the trick quite well. And, spending an hour or two with a good looking woman coloring, cutting, and shampooing my hair is a good thing indeed.

As far as the non-toxic issue goes, i'm not sure.

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it...

Better to have a head of grey hair to color, than a smattering of stubble to shave off..

Posted by: brandtb

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/11/07 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: picard120
Originally Posted By: brandtb

why not? can you explain your mistrust?

No, can't explain it. Just don't.

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/14/07 01:50 AM

Kind of like guys who wear bowties or plaid jackets. Or any tie at all if they don't have to. Never ever trust them...
Posted by: Britt

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/14/07 02:48 AM

Another old, bald guy here... I like the post where the guy suggests going to a ladies hair salon and having them do it, because all the guys I know that dye their hair, 3 total right now, but about 12 over the last ten years, man, you could tell... And I tried Just for Men and it sure did look fake! i think whomever suggested the ladies salon has the right idea.

Just out of curiosity though, why is it vain and shallow for a man to dye his hair but not for a lady? Is this a double standard? Or am I reading too much into it?

Testosterone deficiency, I'll have to remember that one the next time a gal tells me she doesn't date bald guys..
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/14/07 02:53 AM

What hasn't turned loose has turned gray. Who cares! Its a badge of honor. Means I managed to stay alive long enough for the gray to set in, and staying alive hasn't always been that easy to do. smile

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/14/07 04:10 AM

"...Is this a double standard?..."

Good question. I think that some men want their women to always look young (maybe it makes them feel younger or something), while many women want their men to look "natural." Case in point, while I have never been one to cheat on my wife, either of them (altho the first sure deserved to be cheated on), as my hairline receded, and my hair went from dark to grey, I got more and more offers from younger and younger women. Go figure. All of which proves nothing more than life is not fair...

Re: anyone dye their hair ? - 10/14/07 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...as my hairline receded, and my hair went from dark to grey, I got more and more offers from younger and younger women. Go figure. All of which proves nothing more than life is not fair...

I also have to add that along with this comment, since i got married (just over a year now), women just seem to initiate conversation with me at the bar or where ever with me doing nothing different from before marriage.

Now, it could be that i have a crap load more grey now then 1-1/2 years ago (my wife tells me every day - though i blame her for it), but I also have less hair too. But I also have the addition of a wedding band.

Although this is straying from the original post, its still an interesting thing.