The New Kit

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

The New Kit - 09/29/07 12:37 AM

A friend calls me this morning about a hot job tip and volunteers to drive. I quickly get ready, place my PSK on the table along with my RSK while filling the cat's food and water dishes. I hear his horn and hurriedly lock the door. It's about 10 minutes on the freeway and I'm having a waking version of the universal 'naked in public' dream and check my pant's zipper twice. I realise my PSK and knife are still on the table and my friend's idea of a car kit is $12.99 in food from the convenience store. I try to rationalise the odds of anything happening today against visions of Steve Fossey finally being found 30 years from now. And the job is a good 45 minute drive and I'm thinking is he nuts? The gas and commute make this one a no-go. After the interview- " And what did you like best about your last job?" and my career destroying reply " leaving" We went to another convenience store. And I'm walking across the parking lot looking down like any good out of work archaeologist . And there it was, an ancient slipjoint novelty knife with a tiny combo spearpoint blade/cap opener, corkscrew and faux MOP scales. You can just make out ' WARDEN OIL CO. MINNEAPOLIS MINNESOTA. I picked it up and felt better somehow. We bought 'lunch' in my case a bean burrito, cherry slurpy and $1 lighter. My friend looks at the lighter and comments about my being a non smoker. I lied, saying it was for reheating my burrito on the road. The warmth of the California road cuisine, my new survival knife and firemaking kit made me feel much calmer. I noticed a small two pack of Aspirin in his center consule. Good, we had a FAK after all.
Posted by: LED

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 12:47 AM

Nice find. Ah, the ole convenience store bean burrito. Too bad you didn't have an N95 mask handy. For your friend of course. sick
Posted by: Russ

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 12:47 AM

It's easier for me. My kit is a small EDC backpack, the RSK, PSP and FAK are in the backpack with other "stuff". It's easier to keep track of one large pack than small pieces of kit. It doesn't take a big backpack and it won't look out of place. That said, the RSK should have gone straight into your pocket. Nice find on the slipjoint smile
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 08:55 AM

Tut, Tut, Waggles finger under nose.... grin

S.T.O.P.

STOP.

THINK.

ORGANISE.

PLAN.

I wonder how many people have died because they rushed...?
Posted by: billym

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 05:04 PM

Let's see a photo of the found slippie!
Chris nice job of adapting.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 09:37 PM

You, the head guru of survival, forgot your "stuff"??? I am shocked! Hopefully the rest of the trip went OK...
Posted by: Blast

Re: The New Kit - 09/29/07 11:42 PM

LOL!!!

Sorry about the job though. Anyone in particular you'd like me to say a prayer in hopes for holy intercestion?

-Blast
Posted by: teacher

Re: The New Kit - 10/03/07 03:50 PM

Chris,

This is why I like a belt-pouch kit. Once its on, you can't put it down or leave it behind. Course you have to put it on...

Teacher
Posted by: wildman800

Re: The New Kit - 10/03/07 04:54 PM

1st: File the forgetfullness under the heading of: Stuff Happens!

2nd: Congratulations on successfully completing a drill on Situational Awareness & "McGyverism".

3rd: Lessons Learned:
a) Resources are out there if you're looking.
b) All others should review an earlier thread about finding valuable resources in unthought of places (about 4 months ago).

4th: IMHO: You done good!!!!!!
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: The New Kit - 10/07/07 05:59 AM

And why I was asking about the belts with zip compartments ala the pro-survival belt kit and DON'T have an everyday 'survival kit' as in a tin I have to remember. But do have stuff in my wallet, pockets and key chains. I have my trousers on me: I'm equipped.
simon
Posted by: Susan

Re: The New Kit - 10/07/07 04:40 PM

"And what did you like best about your last job?" and my career destroying reply "leaving".

That's where I will be soon... tomorrow, with luck. Now that I see the outcome of your response, I guess I'll have to find another one. Tough one...

Back in the '80s, my friend (to whom it would never to occur to carry a PSK) was running to her car in the rain, and noticed a small plastic bag in the puddle right beside her car: $130 and enough pot to make a few joints.

Personal Motivation Speakers (PMSs, and just as useful) always say to keep your shoulders back, your head up, and watch the people. Well, he**! How are you going to find useful items like knives and cash THAT way???

Sue
Posted by: Paul810

Re: The New Kit - 10/07/07 09:09 PM

Kind of reminds me of my father. He isn't into the whole PSK/Be Prepared thing. But, just like his father he won't go anywhere without his wallet, little knife, and lighter. He might not officially know anything about wilderness survival, emergency prepardness, or any of that.....but he knows carrying a few small things can get him through his day a little easier. To him it's not survival, it's just common sense.