how do you overcome procrastination?

Posted by: picard120

how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/23/07 11:46 PM

how do you overcome procrastination? I have problem with this issue. does anyone have useful advice?
Posted by: Stretch

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/23/07 11:52 PM

I suffer from it on occasion. I take the advice of a friend, who says "Just do it".

Alot of times what causes my procrastination is not having the proper materials to do a job, or not having all of them at the time I want to do it. "Just doing it" gets you going even when the conditions aren't optimal.
Posted by: samhain

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 12:01 AM

I'll get back to you on that one (when I figure that one out).

Posted by: Russ

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 12:02 AM

I usually sleep on it and deal with procrastination tomorrow.
Posted by: Susan

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 12:27 AM

Make lists and post them in VERY obvious places.

Sue
Posted by: Stretch

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 01:09 AM

The only problem with that is, you find that nothing on those lists is getting done and the lists are everywhere. You know you need to clean them up, but.................
((( laugh )))
Posted by: ironraven

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 01:22 AM

Angry midgets with cattleprods who blame you personally for the world sucking.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 01:31 AM

I go through periods when it seems like I can do little else but procrastinate. The only way I can break through it is to visualise completing the task and start on the project immediately, even if only in the smallest way. Once I finally get started, I'm all go.
Posted by: big_al

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 01:42 AM

ask the DW to reminde you. She won't get off your back untill it's done. smile
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 01:56 AM

“Never put off ’til tomorrow what you can do day after tomorrow.”
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 02:30 AM

Why do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow???
Posted by: eric_2003

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 03:09 AM

Do a google on David Allen and "getting things done" if the procrastination is due to the tasks seeming too numerous or too daunting. It is basically a system of "next action" - ie breaking a task down into what is the next, immediate action you have to do for the task and doing that. You'll feel better with the baby steps.

Posted by: halogen

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 12:13 PM

Good resources (IMO):

Getting Things Done (already mentioned above)
The Now Habit
Get Everything Done and Still Have Time to Play

It's important to recognise the procrastination, and identify the cause if possible. My most common causes are perfectionism (not 100% sure what to do, so not doing anything) and simply not wanting to do the thing in question.

For the former, I find it useful to separate decision-making and action (as per GTD). For the latter I find it useful to write down what I need to do, in the smallest possible steps, and then focus on it for short bursts of time (eg 10 minutes).

Sometimes when I procrastinate I realise I don't actually want or *need* to do that thing anyway, and eliminate the task.

eeph
Posted by: Stu

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 07:27 PM

You are going to have to do it anyway, just do it and move on to something else! smile
Posted by: picard120

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: eric_2003
Do a google on David Allen and "getting things done" if the procrastination is due to the tasks seeming too numerous or too daunting. It is basically a system of "next action" - ie breaking a task down into what is the next, immediate action you have to do for the task and doing that. You'll feel better with the baby steps.

thanks for giving me the name, David allen. I will search for his name.
Posted by: Frankie

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 08:57 PM

Procrastination is a complex topic and can be related to perfectionism, anxiety, need for love, need for exitment, low frustration tolerance, hostility, depression and so on. There are cognitive behavioral therapies to overcome this, based on disputing your irrational beliefs. I have Overcoming Procrastination by Albert Ellis, Ph. D. and William J. Knaus, Ed. d., but I keep on procrastinating about reading it thoroughly.

But for small things, like paying a bill, answering an email, doing chores, etc., Do it when you think of it is a useful mantra that helps me a litte bit. You do it as soon as you think of it and not one second later. It prevents the tasks from piling up and dealing with having to relocate the material, etc.

And don't put off putting together your BOB until it's time to actually bug-out cause it will be too late!

Good luck.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
… I have Overcoming Procrastination by Albert Ellis, Ph. D. and William J. Knaus, Ed. d., but I keep on procrastinating about reading it thoroughly.

laugh That’s a lot like my friend who said, “I have one of those books that helps increase your memory, but I forgot where I put it.”
Posted by: Lasd02

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 10:48 PM

Easy, just get yourself one of these:

Posted by: xbanker

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/24/07 11:09 PM

If it's a sizable or important task (like getting my income tax filed by the 15th), for which I've been known to procrastinate, I promise myself a "reward" when I get it done, like say, a new Bark River knife or some such.
Posted by: widget

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/25/07 12:32 AM

I just wait awhile and plan further ahead
Posted by: MDinana

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/25/07 02:52 AM

I've found that a burst of activity, inspired by last-minute panic, has worked suprisingly well since grade school.
Posted by: xavier01

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/25/07 05:02 AM

The Franklin Planner is a system where you use a 'notebook' to document and prioritize your daily activities.
Posted by: teacher

Re: how do you overcome procrastination? - 09/27/07 04:12 PM

Finally getting around to answering this...Mostly by making lists, using a day planner and reminder software. Modern life requires that we are responsible ( or not) for dozens of details -- not just paying the rent, but yearly check-ups, oil changes, meetings large and small, updating, fixing, etc. Lists, son, lists!

tro