Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding.

Posted by: Blast

Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:22 AM

Note to cat owners: if you need to give your wife's cat a bath with flea shampoo trim it's claws first.

Maybe duct-tape it's mouth shut too...

-Blast
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:36 AM

Hi Blast, my name is Matthew and I feel your pain. I have a 6 inch scar on my right forearm from trying to force my cat to swallow a frickin pill with one of those dumb pill syringes. Course I recieved 0 sympathy from DW. Hope you a least got a
"poor baby" look from your DW.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:41 AM

Given a surly shark and a house cat in full psycho mode, I'll take the shark any day.

Hit those scratches with your best disinfectant. They always get infected in the nastiest way.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:47 AM

I would cut and paste a copy of our story about the "Catbite Fever" vacation story, but it would overload something or other. Not to mention my story about doing bare handed battle to the death with a male Siamese at oh dark thirty one day. Let it suffice that cats, and I love the little guys (well, most of them), can hurt you to the max. Let it be known that cat can and do carry a form of plague attached to their teeth...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:50 AM

Is this the cat you tried to vacuum the fleas off of to?

And to wash a cat, I always wear a denim jacket over a couple of sweat shirts, and leather gloves. I'm not that crazy. :P
Posted by: Kuovonne

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 03:06 AM

Given that Blast knew(?) what he was attempting, you can be sure that his DW was standing by with Hydrogen Peroxide, antibiotic cream, bandaids, gauze, and the camera, as usual.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 03:16 AM

Camera? *perks* There is evidence so we can moc... I mean, share in his pain?

*laughs*
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 03:31 AM

Dude, that’s why toilets have lids. Sit on it so that cat can’t jump out and start flushing.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 03:32 AM

now the question is what to do with the cat if you have to
bug out??..

Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Note to cat owners: if you need to give your wife's cat a bath with flea shampoo trim it's claws first.

-Blast

Best way to deflea a cat?

Shoot it.

Every keen gardener in the county will swear blind that it commited suicide..........
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 05:47 AM

I hope all YOUR vaccines were up-to-date, so that poor little cat won't catch any disease from all that blood.... grin grin

(MY cat is safe with me)
Posted by: Susan

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 06:42 AM

Well, Blast, you're just gonna love this information:

The effects of flea baths rarely last even 24 hours.

Thoroughly wash all injuries with soap and water. Staunch the bleeding. Bandage everything that needs it (don't forget the antibiotic ointment). Take some painkiller (tablet or liquid).

Tomorrow, go to the vet and get a tube of Advantage. Put it on the back of the cat's neck where he can't lick it. Within 3 hours the fleas are dead, and will stay dead for at least 30 days.

THEN........ the zombie fleas will arise from the carpeting and the vacuum cleaner...

... and ATTACK!

So..... when do we get to see the pictures? (evil chuckle, rubbing hands)

Sue, who worked for a vet for 12 years and has the scars to prove it.
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 07:42 AM

Just use the stuff that a couple of drops on the neck defleas them instead.
Simon
Posted by: LED

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan

Sue, who worked for a vet for 12 years and has the scars to prove it.

Seeing what vet. techs have to go through I always thank them profusely after every visit. And I don't even have a cat. Maybe if I did I'd bring them chocolates after every visit. smile

Back on topic. I'm sensing a ETS invention or innovation out all this cat bath talk. I'm thinking some sort of kevlar suit with a face shield and shampoo dispensers.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 11:26 AM

I have a 9lb cat, missing most of her teeth, only has one fang, no front claws (we got her at the spca - wife wants to save every animal she can). Even that cat was able to leave some scars on me when I had to fed her some antibiotics (had surgury to remove some rotton teeth - there are no free animals from the spca!!!).

Cats are the devil. No other explanation.

Kris
p.s. have two cats and love them like kids

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 12:09 PM

Quote:
The effects of flea baths rarely last even 24 hours.

cry cry cry

-Blast, typing with one hand

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 12:12 PM

Quote:
bug out??..

It's my new sidearm. If someone harrasses me I'll dump my canteen on the damn cat then throw it at the person...

Did you know a cat trying to escape water can actually climb four feet up a tile wall?

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 12:17 PM

Quote:
doing bare handed battle to the death with a male Siamese at oh dark thirty one day.

That's the suprising thing. My cat is a Siamese/Tabby mix with an attitude, yet he just sat meekly in the tub while I washed him. I thought he'd shred me to ribbons.

Then it was DW's cat's turn. This is the cat that will sit passivly while DW dresses him up in little costumes for Halloween and the kids treat like a stuffed animal. I figured he'd be easy...

Alas, like humans, it's the quiet ones that turn out to be pyscho killers.

-Blast
Posted by: librarian

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 01:09 PM

Hi, Blast. I, too, have cats and de-flea with Advantage. I don't like to use such harsh chemicals but it is better than having fleas living in my carpet!
How to Wash a Cat

Posted by: AROTC

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 01:52 PM

If you switch to Advantage, make sure you go to your vet and get Advantage. DO NOT get the cheapo stuff from walmart or the feed store, that stuff is toxic to cats.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: librarian

Hi, Blast. I, too, have cats and de-flea with Advantage.

We use Advantage here. Even have one of the cats trained to come up to me - and without holding her - let me put it on her. I think it might have to do with the piece of salmon that has her name on it for a treat afterwards!
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 04:48 PM

I use Advantage on both my dogs, it works great, I tried the bath approach one with the same results as Blast, not going there again....LOL The ductape approach sounded interesting.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 04:59 PM

Just be careful and observant if you start using Advantage or Frontline or whatever on your cat. The stuff is basically poison, and cats seem more sensitive to that stuff than dogs. I have a couple relatives with cats that cannot tolerate those treatments without getting very sick (one teetered on the brink of death… and correct dosages were administered).

Best way I know to test the waters is by using smaller doses for the first month(s), like quarter- or half-doses, at first to make sure the animal won’t have a reaction. Most people that have tried this report that even a half-dose keeps the fleas off for a full month. Only move up to a full dose if the animal shows no adverse reaction.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 04:59 PM

"DO NOT get the cheapo stuff from walmart or the feed store, that stuff is toxic to cats."

PLEASE pay attention to this advice! It's nasty stuff, and shouldn't even be allowed on the market.

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 05:08 PM

What caliber does this "Advantage" come in?

12ga?
20ga?
.410?

The trick with cat's is communication.

Cat's think that Humans are stupid. Thickest monkeys ever to fall out of a tree. Only a dumb monkey/human thinks that furry = harmless & cute. Cat's await the day when some Monkey Human Mug invents the paw operated can opener and T.V. remote control.

Then it's extermination time, Monkey Boys.........

You have to "communicate" certain facts of life to them. Like exterminate us and our allies The Canines will avenge us.
Posted by: Fiacharrey

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 05:33 PM

I am reminded of something I got in an email some years ago. Here it is. How to give your cat a pill in 20 easy steps: http://www.nanceestar.com/CatPill.html

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 05:47 PM

Love it.

Alternativly:

1) Garb yourself with chain-mail including gloves.
2) Pick cat up by the short & curlys.
3) Produce pill.
4) Explain to cat in reasonable tones that:
a) It can take this pill. Then it's tuna treat with canary with whipped cream to follow time.
or:
b) It can refuse...........

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 06:42 PM

I am no advocate for illicit drug use, but I did see a friend with a more relaxed attitude about such things get his cat so high that he could've skinned it and it would've done little more than lay there and whimper.

I guess Canabis really does a number on cats. Isn't it related to catnip anyways?
Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 06:45 PM

Blast, next time I would suggest preheating the bath water.

In the microwave.

With the cat in the water.

For about 15 minutes on high.
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 06:49 PM

Quote:
Did you know a cat trying to escape water can actually climb four feet up a tile wall?

-Blast

Yes, I did, actually. Unfortunately, they tend to prefer to climb up the person bathing them...and then down the other side.

Frank2135

Posted by: Andy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 06:55 PM

I have one cat who will let me give it a pill the first 2 days, then he figures it out and further dosing becomes a real test of my love for my wife...

Better story, took my Jack Russel to the vet for a distemper shot. The dog nipped at the vet who stuck the needle through my finger (just skimmed the knuckle, no real damage). But the vet almost fainted, he can't tolerate seeing humans bleed!

PS, every year I get a reminder card from him for me...
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 07:19 PM

3 outdoor cats + 1 indoor cat.

at first sign of fleas - advantage for all.

has never taken more than one application to stop current and prevent recurrence. great product. and you apply where they can't ingest - no fingers near the incisors.

Posted by: frostbite

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 08:29 PM

Our cat gets a bath about once a year just to clean him up a bit. He is an indoor animal who has only had fleas when we picked him up at the shelter. He doesn't mind too much although it does take both of us to get it done smoothly.

I've never needed to try this but I read if you put on a harness or collar and leash and then tie the leash to the faucet (or something else) it helps to restrain the pet. FWIW
Posted by: LED

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 10:28 PM

Quote:
bug out??..

It's my new sidearm. If someone harrasses me I'll dump my canteen on the damn cat then throw it at the person...

-Blast

Holy crap I almost spit coffee all over the screen. laugh laugh
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/19/07 11:50 PM

Ask the vet if it matters if the pill is crushed. If it doesn't, grind the pill & sprinkle over canned food.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 12:47 AM

You're supposed to wash them?? confused

Posted by: bmisf

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 01:38 AM

Loved the story.

We've been using something called "Revolution" - works really well and the cat hates it less than Advantage, which has a smell that he sees coming a mile away. Revolution is also good for ticks and ear mites.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 02:24 AM

"...they tend to prefer to climb up the person bathing them...and then down the other side...

Indeed they do, leaving "skid marks" all the way...

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 02:27 AM

Read it and weep...

Bleeding, now with pictures - 09/20/07 02:33 AM

Since so many of you are bloodthirsty...

Peeling him off the wall.

Starting to go bad...

At this point Shine had just sunk his rear claws and one set of front claws into my arm. A second later he managed to bite down on my finger hard enough that two of his fangs hit bone. Misseswether tried spraying him in the face with water to make him let go while I, uh, taught DD1 a new word...

He finally dropped off and DW cleaned my wounds with copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide. Meanwhile DD1 got to hear the previous bad word used as verbs, adjectives, adverbs, nouns and in one inspired outburst, as a conjunction linking it together as a series of direct objects...

Shine was still coated in soap but there was no way in hell I'd get him back in the tub. We wrapped him in a towel and put him in our shower.

Sad little kitty...powered by the devil!

Do you think he's plotting his revenge?

DW does a great job of bandaging, but judging from the swelling and bright purple colors radiating out from the wounds I'm off to see my doctor tomorrow.

Friggin cat.

-Blast

p.s. Susan, you were right. I combed through the cats fur this evening and saw many live fleas pointing and laughing at me. mad

Re: Bleeding, now with pictures - 09/20/07 02:44 AM

Yeah, if it going tie-died, it's doctor time. frown Good luck.

The other piece I forgot to mention with the heavy gloves and jacket is catnip- mine all get really mellow stoned on it. I pad up, carry a drooling pothead outside, and give them a bath while they purr drunkenly.

Re: Bleeding, now with pictures - 09/20/07 02:53 AM

A video instead of pics, on Americas Funniest Home Videos, could make you some serious bucks...
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: frostbite
I've never needed to try this but I read if you put on a harness or collar and leash and then tie the leash to the faucet (or something else) it helps to restrain the pet. FWIW

i forgot how well a harness can work. our cats don't move with one on - not even tied to anything.

mixing a harnessed cat with water might create some motion. then again...?

cats clean themselves - constantly. and quite honestly, after seeing blasts's photos, i'm more than a little hesitant to try to bathe the adults.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 04:02 AM

My daughter can pick up the wildest cat in the world and sling it over her shoulder to carry if she wants. Gives any a bath, they make a lot of noise, but never ever scratch or bite her. Can't say the same for my wife. And I agree with you, cats lick themselves clean all the time, why interfer with mother nature by throwing them into a tub/shower...

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 12:10 PM

Quote:
cats lick themselves clean all the time, why interfer with mother nature by throwing them into a tub/shower...

Unfortunately, licking doesn't get rid of fleas.

Of course, it turns out bathing them doesn't either...

-Blast
Posted by: thseng

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 12:29 PM

Cats. Pfffpt. Felix Disgusticus.
Posted by: iain

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 05:27 PM

The combination of title and content make that one of the funniest posts I think I've ever seen (chalk it up to schadenfreude). grin Thanks for sharing!

With particularly ornery cats, you can always go to the vet and get something to sedate them. While you will probably still have to give the cat a pill, it can make for a far easier experience for everyone involved.

Re: Bleeding, now with pictures - 09/20/07 06:08 PM

Sad little kitty...powered by the devil. People in the computer lab are sure to wonder what I'm laughing at. Got to be one of the best ETS forum pictures of all time.

Radiating lines from the bites? Bad news, one of the vets I know had to have IV antibiotics after a serious cat bite.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 06:18 PM

"Unfortunately, licking doesn't get rid of fleas."

For what it's worth: Our vet told us when you see a flea on an animal you're seeing it at mealtime. It jumps on for a quick meal of blood and jumps off, burrows into carpet (indoors) or grass (outdoors) and lays eggs to make, eventually, more hungry fleas. Pet collars, etc., just make them jump off faster or inhibit them from jumping on the begin with. To get rid of a flea infestation, yes, you treat the animal, but you also treat your carpet and your yard.

Back in the day the treatment of choice was rose dust. We would sprinkle it on the carpet and leave the house for a few hours, then put on paint masks and vacuum thoroughly. Ditto the front and back yard (they were small) except for the vacuuming part. We did this twice about three days apart in order to get the fleas that were hatched after we killed off the first generation.

I haven't seen rose dust on the shelves for a while, so it's probably been determined to be too toxic for home use. I assume there are less poisonous alternatives out there today. However, if you try this approach with any insecticide you need to be EXTREMELY careful how you handle it and clean it up afterwords. Our kids were in their early teens then, so crawling babies weren't a concern, for example.

The thing is, it worked. We never had another flea infestation the whole time we lived in that house with our animals, which was close to seven years.

Frank2135
Posted by: frostbite

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 07:44 PM

Frank2135,

You just reminded me of the way a friend dealt with fleas. She shakes ordinary salt on the carpet and then lays down newspaper. The paper keeps the fleas on the floor and the salt does the rest. To something the size of a flea the salt crystal edges are evidently sharp enough. She's had dogs for years and comes from a country farming family.
Posted by: kmat

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 08:01 PM

Blast,

I am so sorry to hear of your recent injury. However, this has to be the best ETS forum I have read so far. I was reading this as I ate my oatmeal breakfast. I am now trying to flush the oatmeal bits from my nasal passages. I'll be smelling oatmeal for a while.
A better way is to pour shampoo into the toilet and insert cat. Close lid and wait for the noise to quit. This means agitator cycle is over. Flush three times and rinse cycle is over. Open bathroom door, stand to the side (not between toilet and door), then open lid to toilet. This will begin spin cycle, as cat will run around the house drying its self on any and all material objects. Bandages will not be needed.
If I can be of any help let me know. If necessary I know of a few scouts needing their First Aid merit badges. They would just love to come over and change your bandages and listen to you relive the story once more!

kmat

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/20/07 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy
I have one cat who will let me give it a pill the first 2 days, then he figures it out and further dosing becomes a real test of my love for my wife...

Better story, took my Jack Russel to the vet for a distemper shot. The dog nipped at the vet who stuck the needle through my finger (just skimmed the knuckle, no real damage). But the vet almost fainted, he can't tolerate seeing humans bleed!

PS, every year I get a reminder card from him for me...

You should love your Jack Russel. Best anti-cat device going.

A girlfriend of mine owned one by the the name of Crystal. I used to walk in, kiss her, look down. Super Mutt was always sat there with her lead in her mouth. And a look on her face that said "don't take your boots off." Always took her to the local park. Well, actually, she took me. I still ain't sure who was walking who here.

Any way. We would get to the park. Which has a pond in it. I would take her lead off. She would scoot off into the bushes. I would count to sixty slowly. Then walk down towards the pond. By the time I got there she had found a cat. Chased it down the park. Right into the pond. I would walk up. Look at the very soggy P.O.'ed moggy in the pond. Look down at her and ask "did you enjoy that?"

Oh yes, whilst I'm at it. Some people reading my posts might be forgiven for thinking that I don't like cats.

I would like to set the record straight.

I love cats.

They are a great source of protein when TSTHF.

Re: Bleeding, now with pictures - 09/21/07 12:13 AM

I'd learn to sleep with one eye open for a while judging from the look on that cat.

I fear for you.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/21/07 12:23 AM

Quote:
1) Garb yourself with chain-mail including gloves.
2) Pick cat up by the short & curlys.

Might want to wear a cup as well.

Cats fight dirty, you know.

I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/21/07 02:32 AM

So I went to my doctor this afternoon and ended up with a 4 mL shot of penicillin in my @ss and a prescription for 10 days of the oral antibiotic Augmentin. He also warned if the infection has entered the bone all hell is going to break loose.

Stupid friggin cat.

-Blast
Posted by: WScott

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/21/07 10:59 AM

Last year, after we adopted a dog from the rescue, we also acquired a large flock of fleas. We were concerend about using poisons as we have a 3 yo roaming the carpet, so we did some research and found a product called Fleabusters. I believe it is nothing more than borax, but it did the job, we've been flea free ever since.

If you want to try it with good ol' 20 Mule Team, the instructions were to sprinkle liberally around the carpet (especially under furniture) work it in with a broom and don't vacuum for 3 days. Supposedly the little buggers cut themselves on the sharp edges of the granules, and then are dessicated by it.

Good luck.
Posted by: Rio

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/21/07 01:28 PM

The mean kitty song smile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo
Posted by: Dragonscript

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/21/07 02:11 PM

Huh, i never have an issue with my cat. She just sits there with a pissed off look on her face.

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/22/07 02:17 AM

Good luck man. *crossing fingers and toes*
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/22/07 02:34 AM

... also crossing legs (based on previous posts) ...
;-)

Seriously, though, hope everything comes up roses.

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/24/07 01:24 AM

Borax can be toxic to whatever kind of rugrats you have. Salt rots your carpeting, and pretty much does the same to your vacuum.

Use Diatomaceous Earth (DE) instead. Sift a light layer into your carpet. You can leave it there, it won't hurt anything. It's totally non-toxic, and you and your pets can eat it if you had the inclination. Some farmers feed it to their livestock. The one thing you don't want to do is stir up a cloud of it and stick your head into it and inhale.

If you have a vacuum that has a paper bag collector, toss it after vacuuming. You've just vacuumed up loads of flea eggs and flea larvae. Keep it around and they'll hatch and escape from the vacuum.

You can also use DE directly on your pets, but let me emphasize this: ONLY USE THE CODEX FOOD GRADE KIND. DE is used for lots of stuff, including pool filters and some is treated with insecticides for cockroaches. Get the food grade kind from animal feed stores. My 50# bag cost $15.

DE is made from the skeletons of diatoms, ground to a flour-like consistency. Under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass. It can be used against any insect-type creature that has a carapace. The DE works under the carapace, punctures the creature, and it dies of dehydration. It must be dry to work.

If you want to use a flea bomb, get enough of them to handle the size of your home. Get the kind that says it lasts from 4 to 7 months, as it has a growth hormone in it. When the eggs hatch (the bomb doesn't kill eggs), the hormone prevents the hatchlings from developing into fleas and they just die. If you're going to use a flea bomb, remove any creature that has any resemblance to lungs from the house, set the cans on newspapers in various parts of the house, press the lock down (they spray UP, not out, so don't get it in the face), and leave the house immediately, for the period of time directed (2 or 3 hours, usually). Return, run through house opening windows, leave for another half-hour.

From my vet: dog fleas usually get on the dog to feed, then jump off to breed and lay eggs. Cat fleas tend to stay on the cat. There is a product that will kill all the fleas currently on your cat in about 10 minutes. I think it starts with a C, and you have to get it from a vet.

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/24/07 01:38 AM

Update? Inquiring minds are concerned.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/24/07 12:07 PM

After almost a week I can bend my finger again. Doing so causes large amounts of pus to squirt out which my doctor says is a good thing.

Wow, animal bites are no laughing matter. Had this occurred in some emergency situation I'd have been screwed. Being left handed and being denied use of my left index finger has been an eye-openning experience. Ever try and change a poopy diaper one-handed? Not fun.

-Blast
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: I'm bleeding: Epilogue - 09/24/07 12:12 PM

So I went to my doctor this afternoon and ended up with a 4 mL shot of penicillin in my @ss and a prescription for 10 days of the oral antibiotic Augmentin. He also warned if the infection has entered the bone all hell is going to break loose.

Stupid friggin cat.

-Blast

Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. Seriously, good luck with the infection, took me several injections and a 21 day course of antibiotics to rid myself of it. No cats on my property, at least, not any live ones. If the German Sheperd dosen't get 'em, the Glock will. grin

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/24/07 02:07 PM

Using Advantage on animals is supposed to care of house and yard infestations, not just just the fleas on the animals. At least that's the way it was marketed at the vet clinic where I used to work. The new generation of flea control is much better then the old washing with flea shampoo and spraying or sprinkling with permethrin or other insecticides. I've half considered getting the spray on Frontline for my lower legs in tick country. It's counter to the label to use on humans, but since it's not considered harmful to dogs or harmful to people petting those dogs I don't see the problem using it on my clothes.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/24/07 05:26 PM

Blast, you might pick up a box of cheapie non-zip-lock food storage bags (twist-tie type) and use one as a glove on your left hand when diapering. They're kind of slippery, but should help prevent contamination.

Of course, that's if you can move your fingers enough to do any good.

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/24/07 06:51 PM

Sue,

That was the problem, for the last week my index finger hasn't been able to bend. It gets in the way. DW was at class, so I just had to cowboy through the diaper change.

Saturday I ended back at the doctor. He probed the punctures and "pumped" the finger a few times to force out pus. Then he told me I had to keep doing this to force drainage.

Sidenote: Sometimes I wonder if "forcing drainage" is just an excuse sadistic doctors/nurses use to inflict pain...

Anyway, last night was the first time I was able bend the finger without using my other hand (or sedatives!).

Stupid friggin cat.

Hopefully I'll have time tonight to post a series of pictures of the wound. It's been a real learning experience.

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 12:38 AM

"Sidenote: Sometimes I wonder if "forcing drainage" is just an excuse sadistic doctors/nurses use to inflict pain..."

Well, yeah! What on earth were you thinking??? People who keep their stethoscopes in the refrigerator think like that, you know.

Well, this was a learning experience wasn't it? Not gonna forget it soon.

Your new mantra: "Go to vet. Get Advantage or Frontline. Go to vet. Get Advantage or Frontline."

Cat: 1
Blast: 0

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 01:22 PM

I can't help but think about all the cats I've owned, each of which has added its own signature to my scarred hide. In all those encounters over all those years I never got a bad infection. Now I know, courtesy of poor Blast's experience, that I was just plain lucky.

We are cat-less for the first time since 1985. That's partly due to the Border Collie now in residence, who does not like sharing us with other animals, but I'm thinking that if we end up with another cat, I'm going to be just a little more careful....

Hope all is well soon, Blast.

Frank2135
Posted by: Stu

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 02:41 PM

-Blast

Front declawed cats are still well armed!

I've owned cats for 30 years, and have never had a cat bite. smile However, long leather gloves were been worn when trying to put 1 cat in a cat carier to go visit the Vet. The Vet gave it the rebies shot while the cat was still in the carier.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Dude, that’s why toilets have lids. Sit on it so that cat can’t jump out and start flushing.

Sliding tub doors with a opening at the top work great. Fill the tub with cat cleaner/flea bath, grab the cat, open the door, "splash", close the door, and hose the little basta - er - beast down with the shower massage - while leaning over the shower doors.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 03:19 PM

Blast, I love you man, but......

Wow, animal bites are no laughing matter.
-Blast

After reading this thread, and others comments in this thread, I can assure you that the cat bite to you was laughing matter to many of the rest of us. Dang, my ribs hurt from laughing so hard, and thank goodness the monitor didn't short out from the tea spit all over it.
I hope you heal fast....!

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 06:18 PM

Quote:
I can assure you that the cat bite to you was laughing matter to many of the rest of us.

What's the old saying? Comedy is tragedy + distance
grin grin grin

-Blast, a shining example to all eek
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/25/07 06:35 PM

Quote:
Cat: 1
Blast: 0

Go, cat ! Go !!

oupsss... sorry ... grin grin

See the bright side of things :
you were a well known/appreciated member of this FORUM.
Now, you are a STAR ! a HERO !!!
You could possibly be nominated for some awards .... smile

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/26/07 01:12 AM

Quote:
Go, cat ! Go !!

oupsss... sorry ...

No problem, I raise a finger in salute of your humor. whistle

-Blast
grin grin grin
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/29/07 07:37 AM

I feel your pain & sympathize with you!!!!

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/29/07 11:25 AM

I think I might offer the kitty a nice, fresh pan of anti-freeze while the DW is gone to class. OOOPPPSSS.
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/29/07 08:35 PM

I remember awhile back about a cat washing machine. Then I found the kitty washing machine. Here is the article from CNN's web site.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/02/smbusiness/kitty_wash/index.htm

Do a search on the web and you might find the video funny or cruel.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/29/07 11:33 PM

Every so often I run across some guy (it's always guys) who recommend poisoning animals with antifreeze.

For those who think this is a quick-kill poison like cyanide, here's some information.

Antifreeze causes an agonizing death. The animal's liver begins metabolizing the ethylene glycol within 30 minutes, changing it into more toxic substances. Within (I believe) two hours the effects are irreversible no matter how much money the owner wants to spend. Within 12 to 36 hours of ingestion, the animal's kidneys stop functioning, and the animal slips into a coma and eventually dies.

It isn't funny, it's a stupid joke, and I've watched the animals die.

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/29/07 11:39 PM

Onedzguy,

Hey, welcome to the fire new guy!

As for the cat washing machine, unless it has a 8" thick steel blast door I'm not going near anything holding a wet cat again!

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/30/07 01:29 AM

It isn't funny, and it's gone beyond old. It has gotten insulting, and I can't be the only one here who is starting to take it personally. You don't like cats, fine- keep frigging head shut.
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 09/30/07 05:01 AM

I know exactly what your cat is doing when you're coming home.

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/snipercat.asp

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 10/15/07 03:44 AM

Oh, Blast, I nearly forgot to ask: Is the cat all right?

No damaged teeth?
No damaged claws?
No nightmares?
No anxiety attacks?
No moisture inhalation problems?

grin grin grin
Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 10/15/07 01:35 PM

Quote:
No moisture inhalation problems?

grin grin grin

The cat is alive, unharmed and still living with us. He keeps licking me though. I fear him likes the way I taste. shocked

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 10/16/07 01:56 AM

Don't sweat it- cat's rarely eat things bigger than them. Odds are he's kissing up. :P
Posted by: OutdoorDad

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 10/16/07 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Don't sweat it- cat's rarely eat things bigger than them. Odds are he's kissing up. :P

Don't bet on that... here's what snopes has to say about Cats eating their owners

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 10/16/07 05:59 PM

Snopes itself had nothing on cats eating humans, owners or otherwise. The site you linked to is the forum, where anyone can say anything, thus passing on (or making up) more urban hoaxes.

Sue
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/20/07 05:26 PM

Thought I would bring this thread back because...well just because. This should get a sticky for all the newbies.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/20/07 08:15 PM

*sigh*

I have several patents and have published papers in scientific journals.

I write weekly tales of my adventures, including such things as the first descent of a previously un-paddled river.

I have the scariest house in the neighborhood on Halloween.

I travel around the world.

I blow stuff up.

But what made me a legend? I tried to wash a cat.

crazy crazy crazy

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/20/07 09:14 PM

TEE HEE grin

Wow you have lived quite the life, impressive. BTW what are those goggles you wearing in your new avatar?

Blitz

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/20/07 10:52 PM

Blow up a cat and you will be even more famous, PETA (and others) would have your butt, and you would be on the front page of many papers. For at least one edition...

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 12:28 AM

And I saluted you before that bit of interesting news and I salute you now!!!!!!

And yes, others have washed cats as well, in fact, my wife swore off ever washing a cat for fleas,,,,,after she buried her last "Humanitarian attempt". Bo

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 02:23 AM

Quote:
BTW what are those goggles you wearing in your new avatar?

If the CEO of the company enjoys introducing you as "his mad scientist" it's pretty much permission to look the part.

Plus, historical babes dig them.

-Blast, unlike any other.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 03:04 AM

Historical, huh? Late Victorian-era, probably North America, and... which future-history and planet/construct? smile

And how do people react to being introduced to the mad scientist?

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 03:09 AM

I always wondered who the members of "The Mad Scientists Club" were.

Remember Blast, only the President and I know who we are and where we are!!!!!

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Blow up a cat and you will be even more famous, PETA (and others) would have your butt, and you would be on the front page of many papers. For at least one edition...

OBG, is PETA an acronym for "People Eat Tasty Animals"?? sick

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 03:41 AM

Yup, and other things too...

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 04:01 AM

Quote:
And how do people react to being introduced to the mad scientist?

The always laugh.

At first.

-Blast
Posted by: thseng

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 01:36 PM

I'm thinking the black glove says something more like "Dr. Strangeblast"

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rescueguru
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

OBG, is PETA an acronym for "People Eat Tasty Animals"?? sick

MMMM, makes me feel like eating a nice juicy ribeye steak.
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 05:18 PM

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Crowe
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?

grin

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/21/07 10:12 PM

*sigh*

I have several patents and have published papers in scientific journals.

I write weekly tales of my adventures, including such things as the first descent of a previously un-paddled river.

I have the scariest house in the neighborhood on Halloween.

I travel around the world.

I blow stuff up.

But what made me a legend? I tried to wash a cat.

crazy crazy crazy

-Blast

Blast

Compared to you I am 1 pathetic loser. frown

But my mommy still loves me.

I think.

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/22/07 01:49 AM

Meeeeowwwwwwwwwww

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/22/07 02:23 AM

Blast, when you wear your Mad Scientist outfit, do you wear the "If you see me running, try to keep up" t-shirt with it?

Sue

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/22/07 03:26 AM

No, I wear the one that says, "If I'm flying through the air it's to late for you to run."

-Blast

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/22/07 03:38 AM

Thats funny because I have one of those.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/22/07 06:05 PM

I just saw the post on using the cat as a sidearm. Not a bad idea. The main problem is how do you jam them into a shoulder holster or waist holster. Of course you will probably have to get a CCP (Concealed Cat Permit).

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/23/07 12:19 AM

Plus, you could start out packin' the equivalent of a .22, and in no time at all it will become a .44 mag. A .44 mag that could rip your armpit to shreads...
Posted by: picard120

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/23/07 12:40 AM

How would you wash a cat?

Does the cat allow you to trim its claws ?
Posted by: picard120

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/23/07 12:42 AM

Is that Dr. FrankenBlast?

Is it alive Dr. FrankenBlast?

Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. - 12/23/07 01:31 AM

You want to know how to wash a cat, ask my daughter. You want to know how NOT to wash a cat, ask Blast. Personally, I like the close the lid and flush method...