Survivorman's knife

Posted by: MichaelJ07

Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 03:49 AM

Hi!

Does anyone know the brand and model of knife Les Stroud used in the Alaskan episode?

Thanks.
Posted by: Cyblade

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 04:12 AM

The sheath knife was a Buck Special wal-marts got them for 39.99 I think.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 05:27 AM

Buck 119?
Posted by: KenK

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 02:00 PM

Here's an interesting comparison of the Buck 119 Special vs. the Kabar:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489447

I've had a Buck 119 since a teenager. Though important to me since it was my first fixed blade knife, the shape of the blade just isn't well suited to my own camping needs.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 07:10 PM

It's a Buck Special model 119, he also used it in the dog sledding episode.
Posted by: mmc

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 07:19 PM

Yeah I think its a Buck.You can listen to an interview with him here where he recommends a Buck knife.

www.1029thehog.com/onDemand.asp

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/09/07 10:51 PM

Thanks for the linky. Nice interview.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 10:47 AM

bladeforums won't show me the page unless i register. would it be against forum policy for someone to quote the message here?

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 11:49 AM

Bladeforums is an evil site to view. I wouldn't recommend it for the weak in heart! All they talk about is knives and things that cut! Makes me think about knives all the time! crazy

After reading some postings, I had to find all the hunting knives I have stuffed in boxes throughout my house and hold them close! And that made me see all the work porjects I have yet to do in my house! I just hate to read about people passionate about their interests! Makes me hungry for popcorn.....

But, if you are strong in heart and love to read about people who love their knives, and who want to help you find the perfect knife for any occasion, and who want nothing more than to enjoy your comments and questions about knives, then feel free to register. It's as easy as "cutting butter with a hot knife."

Silly Michael

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 01:26 PM

Great interview! Thanks for the link.

Here is Les' top six survival items:

1. Sure-fire way to get a fire
2. Really strong belt knife - like a good Buck
3. Orange garbage bag to use as a tarp
4. Something to boil water in
5. Good amount of rope
6. Axe

Ken
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Great interview! Thanks for the link.

Here is Les' top six survival items:

1. Sure-fire way to get a fire
2. Really strong belt knife - like a good Buck
3. Orange garbage bag to use as a tarp
4. Something to boil water in
5. Good amount of rope
6. Axe

Ken

Just wanted to mention, even though he didn't say it in the interview, you get the idea from the show that his first and most important item is, "a good multitool." So I don't know where that would fit in on his list, but I'm sure it's up there.

By the way, Les used to post on here from time to time. I wonder if he still looks around?

Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 04:01 PM

I would hope he does, but judging from everything that he does, he must be busy as hell.

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/10/07 05:09 PM

On http://www.lesstroudonline.com/faq.php Les says:

"My favourite multi tool is the Leatherman Wave - or any other Leatherman"

and

"for the show I decided I needed the little saw blade for a number of possibilities"
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/15/07 11:43 PM

Having owned a few Buck knives over the years, and having been less than happy with all of them, I have to think that he made a poor choice...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/16/07 01:38 PM

I guess his point was more to the effect that you use what you got and make it work. I've bought the best knives I could find, and the difference in quality is not nearly so important as my ability to use them.

After all, there have been an awful lot of folks that got by with a lot less than even a lousy buck knife.

I am sure he would not turn down trading that buck knife for one of my busse knives if I were stupid enough to make the offer. Ultimately, I think the knife wasn't that important anyways. He uses his multi-tool for any real blade work 99% of the time.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Survivorman's knife - 09/16/07 02:40 PM

"...He uses his multi-tool for any real blade work 99% of the time..."

Now you are talking. A "wonder tool" as I call them will do almost anything I need done...