Watch with non-reflective glass?

Posted by: simplesimon

Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 09:01 AM

Does anyone know a watch with non-reflective glass or how to make reflective glass non reflective? Shine is by far the worst thing for giving ones positon away and it's amazing how we can cam up everything but forget we keep sendin signals in all directions with reflective gear :-)
simon
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 11:38 AM

Lots of scratches breaks up the light smile
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 11:54 AM

Well if i get desperate I could always get out the sandpaper!

Looking for something a little less drastic first. It seems odd they'll make a camouflage watch with reflective glass. It's like having a camo jacket with reflective panels....
simon
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 12:01 PM

I couldn't resist
What about those clear protectors for PDA's, some of them are slightly textured and might diffuse the light some, then if you needed to reflect light you could peel it off.
Posted by: gizmojumpjet

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 12:45 PM

How about just hitting it with a little flat clear-cote?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 12:54 PM

Depends on what you're looking through. Binoculars you need to stay in shadow so the sun or other light can't hit the obj lens to reflect. With a rifle scope you can get extension tubes that put the obj lens in constant shadow. Keep the sunlight from hitting the glass and there's no reflection.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 01:10 PM

Pro photography shops carry a spray meant just for that. I think it's called dulling spray. You spray it on glass objects so the flash doesn't cause those nasty reflections. Unlike sandpaper, the effect is reversible.

Also, several outdoor shops carry watch bands that have a Velcro flap that fits over the watch. But, IMO Velcro makes too much noise. You can't check the time without causing that nasty Velcro ripping sound. You would be trading visual signals for audible signals.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 01:28 PM

something like this:

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/c-8-p-153-id-8.html
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/10/07 03:22 PM

They also make watch bands that cover the face of the watch with a strip of velcro. Here's an example, although its one of the more expensive I've seen.

http://www.productwizard.com/blackhawk-clandestine-assault-watch-band.html
Posted by: frostbite

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/11/07 12:00 AM

Hobby stores sell a product that etches glass, when I used it the result was still fairly see through and not shiny. I've never used it on a watch though.
Posted by: NIM

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/11/07 12:08 AM

Hiya,

The best way I've found was from some primitive wilderness instructer.

Put some ash from the campfire on your eyeglasses or watch (put a fair amount on) You'll still be able to see and they are significantly dulled down.

Just remember that you want to put the ash (white powdery stuff) on dry. If it has rained avoid the ash.

Give it a try. I give you a full money back guarentee!

-NIM
Posted by: picard120

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/11/07 01:45 AM

why don't you buy a watch that has sapphire crystal? Sapphire crystal is non-reflective compare to mineral glass. for example, St. Moris makes outdoor Swiss watch at reasonable price.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441932489&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302882989&bmUID=1186800204100
Posted by: ChadHahn

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/11/07 08:17 PM

Plenty of watches have anti-reflective coatings. I know Omega does and I'm sure at least some Seikos do. It probably says in their online description.

Chad
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Watch with non-reflective glass? - 08/14/07 03:05 PM

"...ash from the campfire on your eyeglasses or watch..."

Be careful doing this. When I was in the Air Farce we used to use cigatette ash and a rag to remove grease pencil writing from plexiglas. It removed the markings, but really scratched up the plexiglas too. You could make your high dollar prescription lenses dull forever...