Day hike pack weight.

Posted by: samhain

Day hike pack weight. - 08/06/07 11:37 PM

Hey gang,

When you go out on a day hike, how much on average does your pack weigh?

I just went on a hike in Tunica Hills (S Mississippi)to break in my new pack and try to regain some sanity this weekend, and my pack weighed 19 pounds (including 3 liters of water). It felt comfortable with the weight carried on my hips. I barely felt anything on my shoulders.

I do tend to lean to the overkill end of the spectrum especially when compared to the adolescents romping around in the woods wearing bikini's and flipflops (playing in the waterfalls). shocked

As I was sprawled out on the trail trying to breathe (93 degrees and 78% humidity), I decided a reality check was in order. Was too exhausted to even enjoy the bikini's and flipflops. frown

I've already done an item analysis of each item carried on this trip and eliminated about 5 items, but experience screams at me to make an argument for each of the remaining items.

Though the experience of lying flat on my back sucking air while the ill-prepared (out in the woods without even a bottle of water) strolled past also screams at me. blush

There's a balance somewhere but I don't know where it is.

Posted by: MDinana

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 12:19 AM

19 lbs is probably pushing the high end for a day hike, given that many folks can go on overnights with about 20-25lbs bags. Figure the 3 liters is 6lbs that you aren't going to give up. What did you carry? A trip that short, I'd carry the 10 essentials, maybe a waterproof jacket or vest for added insulation, and water. Probably tip the scales at 11 or 12 lbs.

Another thought: perhaps the weight of the pack isn't the problem, but rather the condition of the hiker. Obviously I can't see how your physical condition is! I would think 19lbs shouldn't be too much a burden normally, though.

My $.02
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 12:19 AM

Check out this web site.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

There is a forum and pack lists. Some folks are doing overnights
with 4 lb pack weights (sans food and water) and not leaving a lot
of stuff behind.

Pepsi can alcohol stoves that weigh 1 oz.
Daypacks 3 oz.
shelters 6 oz.
etc.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 12:23 AM

Hi Samhain,

For a day hike my pack would be around 9-11 lbs (4 - 5 Kg)including 2 litres of Water. This would be for summer walking. For 3 season day hikes this would increase around another 1-2lbs with the inclusion of lightweight down jacket, gloves, hat etc

Summer Day hike Kit list

Kimmlite AR25 Classic Rucksack Small - 575gms
2 Litre Platypus Hoser Hydration System with 2 litres of Water - 2200 gms
Personal Survival Kit - 700 gms
Map and compass - 150 gms
Goretex Paclite Jacket - 350 gms
Goretex Paclite over trousers - 250 gms
Food - 500 gms
Camera – 200 gms
Umbrella - 200 gms

For very lightweight kit there is a good article at http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=967
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 04:52 AM

Well, you can travel very light if necessary. For a day hike it's not really a problem - in a temperate climate I'd be perfectly comfortable with a very basic kit:
- knife
- small survival kit (SAS tobacco tin type)
- water canteen
- some snacks
- poncho
- woolen sweater

All of this will fit inside a very small backpack. Since you were in an area where water is abundant, carrying 3l seems a bit redundant. Actually, if you have the skills and confidence this same kit would be pretty much enough for an overnight trip, too. Just keep in mind that the less you carry, the easier the walking - but when staying overnight you'll need that much more skill and effort to make a decent shelter and improvise the stuff you'd otherwise be hauling in your gear. So 19lb is definitely over the top for a day hike unless you are in the Arctic.

I do agree though that you should take a serious look at your physical condition. Unless you have some kind of disability a 19lb pack really shouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: Biscuits

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 11:38 AM

19 pounds may be a bit much for southern Mississippi, but so what. Perhaps the value of the exercise is building up your legs and lungs. I’d keep adding weight.

Biscuits
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 02:37 PM

i day hike year round in the southern california mountains.

i have asked myself the exact same question on many occasions, especially when i see - as you describe - those that aren't prepared for much of anything.

in the summer, as the temps get into the 80s - 90s - and 100s, i carry a pack with two 100 oz camelback bags. so i start @ over 13 lbs. the pack is 1 1/2lbs. so i guess i'm really starting @ about 15. let's add the heatsheet, cell phone, knife, leatherman, headlight, gloves, compact saw, bag of tricks, extra socks, shirt and lightweight jacket, and oh yeah, food, and i think i'm in the 20 to 25lb range. easy.

i figure i have enough to spend a semi-comfortable night in the woods, if need be.

i'm sure i could pare some of the weight, but in the grand scheme of things a pound or two doesn't make a big difference to me while dayhiking - but it does bring peace of mind.

one lesson i learned from my hiking buddy was how to pace myself while hiking. with a cup of coffee in the a.m. i was all ready to let 'er rip. and found myself gasping as well.. now, we don't mosey along, but we have started to have a slower step pace - and find that we have the same elapsed times as previously on the hikes, but arrive not so worn out.

we try to really pace ourselves as we typically look for peaks or mountains to summit - and when you're on the summit you are only half way there. i've read many accidents occur late in the day when you're tired - so we try to pace ourselves for the long haul. and so far, no accidents.

i also find that going to a fitness center for about an hour after work every day makes a difference too. for the most part i sit at a desk. sluggo. i doubt i could do the 8 - 10 hr, 15 - 20 mile, 4,000' elevation gain hikes as easily w/o any in-between exercise.

whew, next time i'll try the reader's digest condensed version.

but i hope this helped!
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 03:49 PM

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

Really, it is true. Not that dry heat can't be debilitating - it sure can be. But when you feel like you're walking through warm wet wool, your perspiration isn't evaporating and therefore you're not cooled by it, and each breath feels like you're taking in more water than air, exhaustion comes pretty quickly.

As an example, in the cool, dry fall I can easily split firewood with an axe for a couple of hours at a time without being overtired. Last weekend I wanted to take down and saw up a couple of small (10" diameter) oak trees at the back of our property. The chain saw is in the shop, so I thought, what the heck, I've got a good sharp axe and a big bow saw, I'll do it the old fashioned way. The temperature was 90-ish and the humdity was hovering around 80%. After 2 hours I felt like I had been at it for more than 8. After 3 hours I had to quit and finish the job the next day.

Frank2135

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

truer words were never spoken.

my dad moved from florida to arizona because "it was too hot."

what he meant was the humidity was too great for him to golf in the summer in florida, but he could easily do 9 or 18 in the dead of summer in arizona - given an early start.

in my area the humidity this year has been high. yesterday morning the national weather service pegged the humidity @ 105% @ 0700. it eventually fell to the 60s, but boy it sure reminded me of the humidity typically you all have but we typically don't.

several hikes have been in the 90 - 100s w/80%+ humidity. i drink both 100oz hydration bags. but i do stay hydrated.

Posted by: teacher

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 05:29 PM

Good question: as I was just out hiking in the August weather...

My pack with water is 8.6 pounds.

that includes:

Camblback HAWG with 2 liters of water
first aid/ survival kit ( detailed elsewhere)
cell phone
small binoculars
rain Jacket
tiny susnscreen

Carried/ worn:

Hat, sunglasses, keys, knife, map.

adjustments for future hikes -- replace granola bars, get compass (!) bug dope, get map with UTM markings.

Teacher

Posted by: xbanker

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 07:20 PM

Apologies for straying a bit off-course ...

As others mentioned, weather/climate conditions are one of many factors affecting perceived pack-weight.

Somewhat simplistic, but everybody's probably familiar with the so-called "heat index" that combines temperature and humidity to produce a "feels like" temperature. Using the chart, your 93F/78% humidity produces a heat index of 123F (nearly in the "extreme danger" of heat disorder), whereas my 102F/30% humidity is around 104F (still nasty by any standards!).

Accuweather.com's "RealFeel Temperature" index is more useful ... factors in "the effects of temperature, wind, humidity, sunshine intensity, cloudiness, precipitation and elevation on the human body."
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 07:34 PM

When TSHTF guess who has to go get the adolesents?

19lb ain't unreasonable. 6.6lb of that is water. Add in a poncho, knife, multitool, headtorch, map, compass, gps, paracord, RSK and a first aid kit.

And my lunch!!!! cry

The big killer is the pack itself. If its of good quality and fits correctly then an adult in reasonable condition can carry that all day, every day. If you cannot then frankly you should not be there.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 11:03 PM

I'll approach it from a different perspective:

Let's say you are going out for a day hike and something goes wrong, what would be reasonable to take along for a "most of the time" worst case scenario, say a night or two out on your own with a broken limb. In that case, the list of stuff I would want with me to cover most of what could be reasonably planned for would tip the scales right about 20 lbs. Yes, you could go overboard generating a what-if list, but if you consider the type of activity you will be involved in, the type of terrain, and the relative isolation, then things such as 2-3 liters of water, some foul weather gear, Doug's kit, a good knife, some e-rats, you get the idea.

20 lbs is not an unreasonable load. It is about what I pack with me when out hunting elk in the woods, excluding my dedicated hunting tools.

As far as the heat goes, I've gone from 140 degree heat in Iraq, dry as parchment, to 100+ moisture laden air in Brisbane, to 90+ saturated air in Florida, to 100+ thin and dry air in Denver. My conclusion: when it is hot, I go sit in the AC and be happy I am not making another stinking afternoon bunker run to the "Sweat Box" anymore.
Posted by: Lasd02

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 11:10 PM

I have to agree with bsmith and Leigh here, 19lbs. seems fine to me. In fact, I'd say it's a win-win situation because by carrying extra gear (within reason), you not only heighten the chances that you will be prepared if TSHTF, you also give yourself a better cardio-vascular workout in the process.

If I'm not carrying at least 20lbs. in my daypack, in goes the solar-powered, double-insulated, titanium coated espresso maker.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/07/07 11:49 PM

I must agree with the previous posters that I have always tended to pack heavier than most people, especially since I started reading ETS about 2 years ago (it is now just better quality stuff).

I am often the butt of teasing from my friends/family about my; pack weight, amount of gear in my truck or the quantity of equipment I bring on an outdoor adventure. For two years one of my hunting partners did not even bring insulated boots to our November Deer Camp because he intended on wearing my spares!

To be sure, one or all of my partners on a trip will forget, break, or run-out-of something and come to me for a repair or replacement. I am sure ETS Forum Members can all relate to this.

Mike

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 01:43 AM

Thanks,

I feel a bit better emotionally about the pack size.

I am not in the physical shape I want to be (hell, who is?) and can use some conditioning.

I've started taking the stairs more frequently at work (5 floors), and am planning to start a consistent morning routine (not trying to regain the 18year old level, just improve the 43 year old level).

The pack weight didn't feel uncomfortable. I got a new Northface Borealis and the pack rode comfortably on my hips.

Whenever I head into the woods even for a day, I prepare to stay the night because Murphy-stuff-happens.

I feel better that the pack weight doesn't sound unreasonable to many of you.

For the record (and for critique purposes) my pack list included:

ON OUTSIDE OF PACK
[*] Storm Whistle
[*] RINO GPS
[*] Toilet Kit (1/4 roll tp, trowel, handiwipes, small garbage bag)
[*]Camp Towel (eliminated for futre trips)
[*]Aqua socks (eliminated for future trips)
[*] compass

SMALL ZIPPER POCKET
[*] car keys
[*] 4 AA Batteries (for the camera)
[*] Headnet
[*] Mora Knife
[*] small bottle of OFF

MEDIUM COMPARTMENT
[*] Map
[*]Backpack Journal (eliminated from future trips)
[*] "Murphy Bag " (small zippered bag that lives in my Fatboy with zipties, duct tape, safety pins, extra paracord, matches, lighter, LED headlamp)
[*] 4 Cliff Bars (only ate 1/2 a bar so will decrease the par level to one)
[*] 4 servings of gatorade powder (will decrease the number of servings to 2 especially since I had gatorade already mixed in my hydration bladder)
[*] Repair kit (ziplock bag with duct tape, sewing kit, eyeglass repair kit and small knife sharpener)

MAIN COMPARTMENT
[*] Magellan "stores in its own pocket" rain jacket
[*] FAK
[*] 50' rope
[*] 100' paracord
[*] water filter and micropur tabs
[*] 1 pair extra socks
[*] 1 extra t-shirt (eliminated for future trips)
[*] 1 liter h2o in platypus (eliminated from future Tunica trips as there is plenty of water available -- just have to treat)
[*] 2 liters h2o in hydration bladder (mixed with powdered gatorade, drank about 1.5 liters during the 4 hours I was in the woods)
[*] Bag of Bags (ziplock with smaller ziplock bags for garbage, etc .

This isn't counting what I had on my person
[*] PSK
[*] pocket knife on lanyard with INOVA light/fire steel
[*] Leatherman
[*] fire pouch (lighter/matches/vaseline-cottonball tinder.
[*] Bandana (in pocket)
[*] Hat
[*] Shemagh (was wonderful for keeping the sweat out of my eyes/bugs out of my ears/sun off my neck, and felt really good once it got saturated with sweat)
[*] Sunglasses.
[*] notepad and pen, sharpie.

Only things I would want to add for future trips would be:
[*]Hammock (little camp one)
[*]Gaiters
[*]Rite-in-Rain pad
[*]More Stamina

As always I'm always open to suggestions.

Posted by: MDinana

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: samhain
Thanks,
I am not in the physical shape I want to be (hell, who is?) and can use some conditioning.

Whenever I head into the woods even for a day, I prepare to stay the night because Murphy-stuff-happens.

For the record, I'm not in the shape I'd like to be either!

Re-reading this, I'd personally still pack lighter. It's great you're prepared for an overnighter, but if it's 90+ degrees, I doubt you'll be freezing at night (even if it does rain). Now, if this were a post during the fall or winter, I'd be all about packing something heavier.

The others do have good points about the conditioning effects of the extra weight. We used to put in gallons of water for conditioning hikes in scouts (yeah, that was always fun, lugging around 35lbs of water for no reason).

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Lasd02
If I'm not carrying at least 20lbs. in my daypack, in goes the solar-powered, double-insulated, titanium coated espresso maker.

..the only way to go!

Originally Posted By: MDinana
The others do have good points about the conditioning effects of the extra weight. We used to put in gallons of water for conditioning hikes in scouts (yeah, that was always fun, lugging around 35lbs of water for no reason).

..perhaps like many of you, when preparing for a particularly long or strenuous day hike i put a 25# plate in my backpack while on the treadmill, stair stepper or elliptical trainer - it raises a few eyebrows, but it's helped me be better prepared.

bsmith

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 12:45 PM

Hi Samhain,

I looked over your daypack list and it seems very reasonable to me, being prepared for emergencies or just having the stuff you like to use adds weight to the pack, thats just the way it is.

I confess that I also carry some additional equipment, where I live it is often wet and cold (I have seen it snow in every month of the year).

I usually add: rainsuit, type of shelter (light tarp or Heetsheet), metal GI cup, Cell phone, Sat. phone (not working well lately), PLB (mostly to compensate for the poor Sat. phone) and Bear Pepper Spray.

I am usually working or checking out a new area when I am on my hikes so I also have with me: flagging tape, short brush-hook machete, a light saw (folding Bahco Laplander or Pocket Chainsaw) and a map/air photo/sat. photo of the area.

Concerning the Toilet Kit, I also carry a small package of "Wet-Ones" when camping as 5 of them can give you a decent sponge bathe. When hiking I carry a few thick, blue, shop towels instead of TP. The shop towels are more multi-purpose as they are good for cleaning your hands/gear with after field-dressing big-game and make a decent wound dressing (used after my teenage son hit his hand with a machete).

Good discussion topic,

Mike
Posted by: Russ

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 01:24 PM

If that's what happens when you carry 19 lbs, you do need to work on physical conditioning. Carrying the extra weight is one way, running, power walking and lifting weights is another -- work on overall physical conditioning, not bulking up. But don't do the same thing all the time.
You have one set-up now, 19lbs and it makes you collapse -- work with that because it seems that your primary goal is to carry that pack and feel good doing it. But not all the time. . .
For another set-up determine what you require for your day hike and take just that (possibly just shy of 10lbs, with the idea of working on speed. Don't forget to drink the water during the hike to further reduce the pack weight as you move. Take some energy bars (100 calories/mile, no more).
Hit the gym or otherwise get a workout which focus's on leg and back strength -- once a week.
Look at nutrition too.

I'm in my mid-50's and work out regularly, over the last 6 years my leg strength and endurance have improved immensely. I also work on upper body strength including weight training, and good old push-ups and pull-ups. Physical conditioning should be part of the lifestyle of anyone concerned with being prepared/equipped to survive.

$.02, this is your life. Now get down and give me 50 (40?. . . okay, let's start with 20) smile
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 02:26 PM

Quote:
Physical conditioning should be part of the lifestyle of anyone concerned with being prepared/equipped to survive.

The best advice on this thread so far... If lugging around 19lb on an easy day hike exhausts you so much you nearly pass out you should forget about survival gear and get in shape first.

It's funny that so many people obsess with the ultimate survival gear when they lack even the basic physical prerequisites. How come there are so many threads about survival knives, climbing harness, BOBs and whatnot but virtually no discussion on physical training and the like?
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 06:40 PM

I went for a hike on Sunday, with 100 ounces of water in my hydration back, a full usgi canteen (w/cup), a psk, a fak, trail mix & lunch.I also had on me my edc folder & a 6 inch fixed blade (I was gonna look for a young hickory tree to make into a walking stick). Boy was I beat! I'm gonna say i was carring 12 pounds in all.It was about 90 degrees and sunny, I was really hurting during some uphill parts of the walk. Was I carrying too much?
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 06:53 PM

I work on the basis of what my personal comfort level is in a given situation. If something very nasty happens then it might devolve down to me calling S.A.R. in on my mobile, reading off a G.P.S. position and giving a SITREP etc. Whilst the AD'S and the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. are doing their headless chicken routine's.

Unfortunately most people don't have our level of paranoia.

Oops, Sorry. That should have read: "are not at our level of expertise."

I wish they were.

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
I went for a hike on Sunday, with 100 ounces of water in my hydration back, a full usgi canteen (w/cup), a psk, a fak, trail mix & lunch.I also had on me my edc folder & a 6 inch fixed blade (I was gonna look for a young hickory tree to make into a walking stick). Boy was I beat! I'm gonna say i was carring 12 pounds in all.It was about 90 degrees and sunny, I was really hurting during some uphill parts of the walk. Was I carrying too much?

..my $0.02, it depends. how long was the hike? if it was 4 hrs or less, i think your water carry was probably right on the money - for me.

your age, physical condition, 'heat index', gain / loss elevation all play into your equation.

as for what else, or not, to carry - that's where the comfort level comes in. if something were to happen to disable you, would / could you be rescued (no mention of cell phone, hiking buddy or plb), and if not, could you spend a night or two on the town in the woods and be comfortable until you are rescued? that is, warm, dry, unhungry?

these are all variables that are person-specific.

for me, i hike weekdays and it's rare to see anyone at all. i figure if i can't self rescue i may be out there until the boss gets someone interested to go look for me. then again, i typically hike with someone - but i think i have the tools (brains included) to remain out. i hope i don't have to find out. but i do come here to help fill in those areas that i didn't know that i didn't know.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 07:36 PM

What are you guys wearing for boots; heavy full height boots or lightweight hikers?
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 08:41 PM

Me, a dayhike is as follows:
I have a mountainsmith lumbar pack, with shoulder straps.
2 water bottles, one a nalgene, the other a canteen. Both with aluminum cups.
fleece jacket. Currently my lightweight one, but changes for the season to a heavy one, as needed. Attached to outside bungee cord.
Lightweight rain jacket & pants.
Compass
Emergency bivvy sack-the AMK heatsheet one.
HAt, for whatever season-right now, my jeep boonie cap.
PSK-the one Doug Ritter put out.
couple of granola bars, or crackers. I eat them regularly smile
water purification tabs. Enough for 3 days.
glowstick that runs on batteries. Cuz its cool looking smile
LED flashlight
Camera
Flashlight
GPS
Extra batteries
geocache swag-usually my wooden nickels
Folding saw
Extra pair of socks.
First Aid kit.
Thats about it. It sounds like alot, but it really isnt bad. I carry enough so that, should I get stuck out overnight, I'll live relatively comfotably.

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RAS
What are you guys wearing for boots; heavy full height boots or lightweight hikers?

lightweight hikers - merrell.

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 09:33 PM

Since we are telling hiking stories.

I went on a remote ATV ride for work last Saturday that turned in to an unexpected hike.

My partner and I rode 2 ATV's about 20 km into the bush on old logging trails but could not find the jobsite we were looking for. My big field pack was strapped to my ATV so I had everthing I needed to spend a night or more in the woods; the problem started when we decided to explore for just a short distance off the trail.

I headed into the thick bush with only only my EDC folding knife, lighter, GPS, and a bottle of bug dope, plus about 20 lbs of work tools. The forest was so thick that I needed a compass to keep direction but the only one I had was the button compass on my watchband. As it turned out the jobsite was off the trail in the direction we went, by about 800 metres. We got he job done and returned to the ATV's about 5 hours later after a lot of stumbling through the bush, we were hungry and very thirsty.

I felt really stupid having a pack full of well researched-selected gear/supplies/water on my ATV and me stumbling around the forest like an greenhorn.

The moral of my story is; take the equipment you need on any hike, even the short ones, as you never know what can a happen.

Mike

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/08/07 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RAS

Heavy Full Height Boots - Danners, work buys them so that is what I wear, on and off the job.

P.S. This is the first time I have tried a quote on the Forum, hope it works?

Mike
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/09/07 04:12 PM

My daypack weight is around 20 lbs normally, +/- 5 lbs depending on the length of the hike. I did trim it a few pounds, but I didn't really try very hard. I justify the extra weight with different excuses, I'm packing the extra items for other people, I'm training myself to get into shape, this is a difficult hike and I might be forced to spend the night out, etc. The real reason is I just have all this stuff I want to carry. As long as you're comfortable carrying it, then it doesn't matter how much it weighs. If you're suffering under the weight, you either need to pack lighter or get in better shape. I went hiking with a guy who was carrying a 50 lb pack (this was a one day hike), but he was able to keep up wihtout any trouble so there's nothing wrong with that.

I haven't actually weighed any of my stuff, but I would estimate the breakdown to be:

Pack = 4 lbs (I need a lighter daypack)
Water+filter = anywhere from 2-8 lbs
Extra clothes = 3 lbs

the rest is just random items like food, flashlight, camera, rope, etc. I could probably cut the weight in half if I really needed to, but then I wouldn't feel comfortable. If there was an emergency and I needed to lighten the load, I can always lose some of the items, but you can't add anything once you're out there.

I just saw your list, and if you're looking to cut weight, start by eliminating the redundant items.

Mora, pocketknife, and leatherman - I also used to carry a similar amount of blades, but realized I rarely ever used one. So know it's just a fixed blad knife and multitool, still overkill, but i really like my swisstool.

50ft of rope and 100 ft of paracord - You could probably pick on or the other, depending on which one you think you'd use more. I carry 25 ft of 6mm cordage and 40 ft cord, but the rope is used more in my case, usually if I need to tie off a hand line or something.

Matches, lighter, and firesteel and firepouch - two out of three is good enough. How often do you need to start fires in 90 degree heat?

Gatorade? - if you really like it, keep it, but how often do you use it?

Waterfilter and micropur - I only carry a filter if I am pretty sure I'm going to need it.

Gaiters - I have a set that I've never used. Unless you have problems with stuff getting in your shoes (like sand, snow, brush), I would leave them at home.

Hammock - on a day hike?

Again, if you feel like you need all this stuff, then keep it. But if I were to eliminate items, those would be first on my list.

Posted by: aloha

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/12/07 07:22 AM

My daypack weight is usually around 20 pounds. I have done Mount Olomana with my normal pack plus about six liters of water and 100' of climbing rope. That was a pretty heavy pack and a pretty good workout of a hike. It was overkill, but was done because some people are just not prepared and it was for safety.

I was going to go on a hike with a colleague of mine. We met at my place in the morning. He changed out of his work clothes and had a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. I had my normal pack. I asked him where his pack was. He didn't bring one. I asked him about water. He didn't have any. I gave him a couple of water bottles.

We drove out to the trailhead. It started to rain. Hiking in the rain is slippery but fun. I canceled the hike. I just had a bad feeling about it. I probably would have gone if he had been a little more prepared (or at least had some semblance of preparedness).
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/12/07 03:22 PM

Just added up a quick total of my pack and contents and came up with a little over 11 lbs. (including 2L of water).

That weight doesn't include a camera or GPS. Here's the contents and weight (in lbs.):

3.00 Maxpedition Condor Pack
0.24 AMK PSK
0.16 Benchmade Mini-Grip.
0.19 AMK Heatsheet
0.14 Disposable Poncho
0.12 Notepad
0.21 FAK
0.31 Moonstone Pullover
0.10 Gloves
0.04 NATO Matches
0.30 Clif Bars x 2
0.10 Mini Fishing Kit
0.28 Spare Wicking T-shirt
0.10 Bandanna
0.15 Spare Underwear
0.27 Spare Wicking Socks
0.12 Magfire
0.66 Nalgene 32oz. Bottles x 2
4.40 2L of Water
0.10 Waterproof Stuff Sack
0.06 Petzl e+LITE
0.16 Suunto Compass

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/12/07 10:09 PM

I really gotta get a small scale so I can weigh things more acurately and satisfy my OCD tendancies.

The best I got now is the bathroom scale.

Posted by: teacher

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/13/07 04:18 PM

I have been known to pack a second pack -- one for the person I'm hiking with...
Posted by: aloha

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/13/07 05:16 PM

That's a great idea! How do you make them carry it?

Re: Day hike pack weight. - 08/13/07 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: aloha
That's a great idea! How do you make them carry it?

shame them into it....

i will gently insist they carry it - it doesn't approach the contents or weight of mine, but it sure brings me peace of mind in that i don't have to worry as much about them if things go sideways.

and it's actually more backups for me - and they carry it!