Going down a steep hill using a rope

Posted by: SARbound

Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 07:16 PM

I wonder if anyone could briefly teach me how one would attach himself to a large tree, as a safety measure, while going down a steep hill (lets say around 45 degrees).

What I have on hand :

o A 50 meter rope, about 6 mm;
o A large climbing carabiner;
o Good knowledge and sufficient practice of useful knots (bowline, figure 8, etc.).

I am not asking for a rappeling crash course; i'm just wondering what is the simplest, fastest way to do it. Right now, if you'd ask me how i'd do it, I would have a natural tendency to tie a bowline around a tree, another around my body and just let the rope slide between my gloves slowly going backwards. Is this the most efficient way to do it? Probably not.

Is there a way to rig something up so that once i'm down the hill, I can untie my rope to get it back? I think i've seen this done somewhere in a video.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Posted by: billym

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 07:23 PM

Edit;

This is not something you learn on the internet so I deleted my post.

Posted by: frediver

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 07:36 PM

It's tough to describe.
Tie off the line to your tree.
Attach the biner thru your belt.
Wrap your para cord 3 times thru the gate of the biner then slide the loops to the solid side. You now have the line ties off to the tree and running to your biner, loops then free end.
As long as you keep tension on the free end the line will grab the biner. When you slack off tension on the free end the line will slip thru the biner. Descend by keeping or loosening tension on the free end f the line. Do not descend steep sloops or anywhere you would not want to fall down.
Try it out somewhere safe first to get the concept and be careful.
Ron Hood had a demonstration in Woodsmaster volume #3.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 09:27 PM

An arm rappel is commonly used in caving and skiing for low angle
slopes like you describe. Main concern would be a secure anchor.

Large trees, boulders and snow bollards would take no extra gear
for an anchor. Rappel on the doubled rope then pull one end down.
No knots, no carabiner.

Military likes this since it takes so little time and leaves you
less exposed to fire. And if someone is shot they just fall away
from the rope and don't leave it clogged up for the next soldier.

Posted by: SARbound

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 09:32 PM

Thanks, this kind of reply is what I was looking for.

It's indeed simple and a good idea.

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 09:37 PM

http://web.archive.org/web/20020823181202/climber.org/MultiMedia/rappel.gif
Posted by: big_al

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/06/07 11:44 PM

Bee:

If you would like a belt but don't want to carry a full fledge climbing belt, you might try this: http://www.animatedknots.com/harness/ind...imatedknots.com
This is called a swiss seat, and I have use it many times to repel with on a steep slope.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/07/07 01:05 AM

A better picture of the above...

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/07/07 04:18 PM

Note, this

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
A better picture of the above...

doesn't show the arm rappel I was speaking of, only the
dulfersitz, which is good if you have lots of clothes on for padding.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/08/07 03:28 PM

True...
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/08/07 07:13 PM

Tie one end of the rope around yourself using a bowline. leaving a 1-2meter tail. Clip the carabiner in. Pass the sheet end around the tree. Make sure that it is as close to the ground as possible. Italian hitch the sheet end to the carabiner. This will serve as a brake. Descend with caution.

The 1-2 meter tail is for you to tie yourself off with if the descent is more than the length of rope available.

Remember that this is an inherently dangerous maneuver. If there is an alternative take it.
Posted by: BOD

Re: Going down a steep hill using a rope - 08/12/07 08:45 AM

Forward Rappel

This traditional technique is for less than vertical slopes say less than 60 degrees. All that is needed is a line and gloves

Face forward down slope left leg ahead of right.

Rope runs from anchor through left hand with left arm extended up slope behind your body. The line does not turn around your arm as in the arm rappel

Rope crosses front of left leg at top of thigh then passes through crotch and behind right leg just below buttocks and then to right hand with right arm forward of body pointing down slope.

This Australian technique allows you to “bound” down slope. You hop forward, loosening your grip of the line in your hands (BUT NOT LETTING GO), then land with your left leg ahead of the right (THIS IS CRITICAL). The “lock” is the left leg ahead of the right and the grip of the rope in the RIGHT hand as the left foot lands.

If you have extra trousers put them on. If you have none take small hops ;-)

This is a military technique meant to be used to get a number of men down a steepish slope quickly with minimal kit to avoid the delay of down climbing with the added benefit of being able to see where you are going.

I am not sure if it is still being taught and possibly the carabiner rundown has replaced it.