What Generator Types does everyone use?

Posted by: DeathtoToasters

What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/24/07 03:26 AM

Well I am looking at a portable generator. I am not really thinking that much about size now...probably between 7000 to 9000 watts.

What I am more concerned about is the fuel type. I have been reading alot about Tri-Fuel generators.

Generators that use Propane/ Natural Gas / Gasoline.

That just seem to be the most logical course of action.

I am wondering what everyone else thinks about these type of generators and what you all are using.

Thanks
Posted by: Stretch

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/24/07 04:29 AM

We use a Coleman 5000, with a 9hp B&S OHV. We bought it back in 2000 and if I had it to do all over again, as long as I could afford it, I'd get a tri-fuel. I'd also invest in a power control unit too.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/24/07 04:32 AM

I've got a few gas and a few diesel we use on jobs (construction). The diesels are much more expensive, but they run longer for a given amount of fuel, are built to last longer, and diesels can run on a variety of fuels in an emergency (I've heard of old army guys mixing gas and oil to make diesel, plus you can run vegetable oils, kerosene, jet fuel, propane, butane, and of course...diesel). Plus diesel fuel is much safer to store than gas. I really think they are better, but unless you are a contractor who uses it everyday it might not be worth the cost. If you decide to go with gas Honda is the way to go for sure. They start easy, they're quiet, and they seem to last the longest.
Posted by: ibfestus

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/25/07 07:24 PM

My generator is not portable but it would be easy to mount it on trailer. It uses the only fuel I can think of that is safe to store for extended periods - propane. I have a 15KW Generac hardwired to a transfer switch and supplied by a 500 gallon tank.

I believe if necessary we could survive an entire winter without resupply. I am now negotiating for an additional 250 gallon back-up tank. As long as I have propane, we will have water, heat, and lighting.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/26/07 05:03 PM

Tri-fuel is a neat concept. It definately gives you options.

I suggest you do the math on each fuel type. You will be surprised at how quickly generators consume fuel, and how expensive they are to operate for any length of time.

In our case, it turns out that it would be less expensive to leave home and stay at a luxury resort, than to power the entire house with any type fuel generator for any length of time.

I scaled back my generator plans considerably after reviewing the math.

We settled on two modest-sized Honda generators, each capable of running our core needs (boiler, water, light, radio/tv). We can swap one out for the other during maintenance, etc. They can also be daisy-chained if we need more power for some reason.

The generators are also small enough that they can come with us in the RV if we are bugging out.

IMO, you want to get the smallest generator that will cover your needs and still have some reserve output wattage for peak use. In an emergency, I am assuming it may be necessary to conserve fuel.

Also, make sure you get maintenance items for your generator. Most portable generators can't be run for more than a couple hundred hours without an oil change, etc.

Good luck

Gary

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/26/07 05:06 PM

BTW, our Honda run only on gasoline.
Posted by: ibfestus

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/27/07 07:54 PM

Good point about fuel use. My Generac uses 1.6 gals/hour. If I have 300 gals of propane and limit the use the generator to 6 hours/day, I have roughly a 30 day supply. If I cut it to 4 hours that goes up to 45 days and so on. The only thing I would use the propane for would be the generator. I have a wood fired furnace and 60 acres of timber for fuel.
Posted by: DeathtoToasters

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 06/27/07 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Tri-fuel is a neat concept. It definately gives you options.

I suggest you do the math on each fuel type. You will be surprised at how quickly generators consume fuel, and how expensive they are to operate for any length of time.

In our case, it turns out that it would be less expensive to leave home and stay at a luxury resort, than to power the entire house with any type fuel generator for any length of time.

I scaled back my generator plans considerably after reviewing the math.

We settled on two modest-sized Honda generators, each capable of running our core needs (boiler, water, light, radio/tv). We can swap one out for the other during maintenance, etc. They can also be daisy-chained if we need more power for some reason.

The generators are also small enough that they can come with us in the RV if we are bugging out.

IMO, you want to get the smallest generator that will cover your needs and still have some reserve output wattage for peak use. In an emergency, I am assuming it may be necessary to conserve fuel.

Also, make sure you get maintenance items for your generator. Most portable generators can't be run for more than a couple hundred hours without an oil change, etc.

Good luck

Gary

Which generators did you go with?

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 07/10/07 04:18 PM

Two Honda 3000's

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 03:14 AM

We are having some nasty thunderstorms in IL.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294340,00.html. More than 185,000 ComEd customers in Northern Illinois are without power.

We have been on generator power since 8/23/07 at 6:08PM...about 8 hours so far.

I have a feeling we may be without "easy" electricity for a few days.

This will be a good test of the generators before Winter, and an opportunity to compare the estimated math to my actual operating costs for core and comfort items.

Here are the items running on one Honda 3000 at the moment:

1. large Side-by-side refrig/freezer
2. Full size upright freezer
3. Tivo box
4. Cable TV box - service still functioning
5. Television
6. Router/Switch/Cable Modem - service still functioning.
7. Laptop computer

In the morning, a server, two more desktop computers, and a few lights will come on-line when we open for business.

Unfortunately we have heavy storm damage on our property. A 100 year+ Oak tree fell across our driveway. There at four other large trees down and several cords of debris strewn about. Our next door neighbor had an impressive electrical fire in his backyard. Thankfully, the fire department took care of it amazingly quickly.

Kind of a scary night....and more storms are coming.

At least we will have enough firewood for a few seasons.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 01:06 PM

I guess you need to define "portable." I am not all that up on generators, but I have never seen a 7000+ watt gen that I would consider to be portable. Now the Honda 2000w, that is portable...

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 03:04 PM

I would categorize the Honda 3000W as luggable. One guy can move it, but for me, some grunting is necessary. I use a dolly to move it more than a few feet.

The 2000 looks MUCH more manageable for one person to move.

We are coming up on 19 hours on generator power and all is well.

We are open for business, although most of the town is still without power.

So far, the consumption rate with what we have connected is about 1 gallon per 4.5 hours. If this holds, it will be just under $20 per day to keep the generator going.
Posted by: LED

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 06:14 PM

Just out of curiosity I looked to see how much they weigh. Does this sound about right?

Honda 3000 + Fuel is around 160lbs.

Honda 2000 + Fuel is around 54lbs.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 06:44 PM

Honda 3000 - Yes.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Of course some SOB stole it out of my garage one fateful day...-.-

Bummer.

I keep the generators chained to a fixed object 100% of the time for fear of the same. I didn't buy wheels so they are harder to move, but I have them set in fairly permanent locations. If I was in the habit of moving them, a wheel kit would be a big help.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 10:50 PM

I agree with you, genetators are a hot item for thieves.

About 3 years ago we lost a new Honda 3000 (still in the box), on a weekday afternoon, from a locked covered trailer, within a locked compound, within sight of a security camera!

Very bold, we never recovered it and or caught the culprits.

Mike
Posted by: celler

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/24/07 11:29 PM

Honda is the way to go. Damn good generator. We test 'em hard down here in hurricane alley.

Craig.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/25/07 01:36 PM

Sounds like an inside job...
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/25/07 02:55 PM

Hi OBG,

I had a feeling you were going to say that and I think you are correct!

The storage yard is in a rural industrial park surrounded by 5 other large companies with lots of traffic around. It would be easy for a person to slip-in to our compound unnoticed, as long as they did not go through the front gate (they cut through the rear fence).

A year after the generator was stolen we lost a Honda ATV the exact same way, DUH!

I now store only my largest work equipment there (e.g. boats on trailers, trucks), the more portable items I store at my residence.

Mike

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/26/07 03:54 AM

We are 52 hours into our test. So far it has been very realistic.

The estimate we have been given is 72 more hours to go without power.

I have been refueling every nine hours, about two gallons.
Without a doubt, Honda gets my vote. Super quiet, easy start, easy fueling, fuel efficient and most important, wife approved for ease of use.

It was a confirmed tornado that took out this tree

and seven others in our yard (found three more) Then it skipped over our house and did the same thing in the next four yards. Dozens of large trees where toppled or sheared off at about 20 feet up. Several crashed across power lines, taking them down.

Amazingly and thankfully, nobody was hurt and no homes were seriously damaged from what I could see.

The dogs posed in the picture to give is some scale.
Posted by: Russ

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/26/07 03:12 PM

At least you've got a good supply of firewood.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 12:11 AM

Yeah, for the storms NEXT year. Give me earthquakes that don't happen all that often, and for sure don't have their own season...

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 02:02 AM

I don't have a Honda at all. A lot of my friends do tho, and they love them. In our home on wheels we have a built in Onan 5500w, it will run anything we own. Just not all at the same time...

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 04:33 AM

OBG is right, plenty of wood for next year...but only if I get it cut up by then.

I have been lumberjacking all day again. This might take a while.

Good news. The tree crews from the power company showed up and got busy late in the day. I hope this means we will get power back some time soon. MrsGD is just about finished with the "test".

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 12:20 PM

Motorhome. But we are looking hard at switching to a P/U and fifth wheel...

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 01:50 PM

You're doing remarkably well with only a 3,000 watt generator for this length of time. Most people are not able to run much off a 3,000 watt or able to run a 3,000 watt that much before they burn out. It's probably because you have a Honda. I had one once and it was great.

I am very pleased with the Honda's performance...still working great after 87 hours...and no sign of work crews yet today so it can take a break.

It was a painful purchase at the time ($$$), but for this event, it was worth it.

I think an oil change is coming up soon. I have to check the manual again.

OBG, we went with the 5th Wheel/Pickup Combo a few years back for the BOV. We are thinking about going to the all-in-one variety, but I kind of like having the truck separate. What is making you consider the 5th Wheel?

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/27/07 01:58 PM

"...What is making you consider the 5th Wheel?..."

I'll send you a pm, so that we don't completely hijack this thing...

Posted by: DennisTheMenace

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...What is making you consider the 5th Wheel?..."

I'll send you a pm, so that we don't completely hijack this thing...

OBG,

I understand not wanting to hijack the thread, but I don't think I'm the only one who is curious about your answer. My wife and I plan to travel across America some day, and the question of motorhome vs. fifth wheel & truck has come up in discussion. How 'bout starting a new thread on that topic with your answer to GarlyDog?

GarlyDog,

Is the Honda 3000 you're using the EU3000? If not, please ignore the question below.

I've read many reviews on the Honda EU2000 generator (the ~46 pound portable). Some of the owners critiqued the EU2000 as being an excellent generator which is not designed to be repaired. In essence, they complained that it's as if it were designed to be 'disposable'. Do you have any reason to believe that does (or doesn't) describe the EU3000?

Dennis

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 04:00 AM

Quote:
Is the Honda 3000 you're using the EU3000?

I've read many reviews on the Honda EU2000 generator (the ~46 pound portable). Some of the owners critiqued the EU2000 as being an excellent generator which is not designed to be repaired. In essence, they complained that it's as if it were designed to be 'disposable'. Do you have any reason to believe that does (or doesn't) describe the EU3000?

Dennis

I own an EU3000is.

'Repaired' is a broad term. I'm not sure how to answer because it runs great and have never had to repair it.

The designers allowed easy access to all the essential consumables. A coin can be used to open the access panel. I suppose replacing anything else would not be an easy field repair, better done on a bench.

BTW, we just went past 100 hours for this 'test'. Prior to this outage, the generator had at almost 400 hours of use on it.

It doesn't seem 'disposable'. I'm not sure what the estimated service life is.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 02:54 PM

Finally. Test over. Power came on a few minutes ago.

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 06:38 PM

GarlyDog. Might want to change the oil in that generator. I've found that if you change the oil after every 300-500 hours of use...it prolongs the life of the generator. Even if I don't use my generators for a whole year I still swap everything out on them. I pull the carb and wash it, I pull the air filter and check it out. Stuff like that.

Agreed.
Posted by: RayW

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 10:27 PM

On a honda eu 3000, the maintainance schedule calls for oil changes every 100 hours. On mine i added one of the B&S hour meters, ( http://www.rcpw.com/Briggs_Hour_Meter.htm no affiliation, just the first web site with a picture) and i try to change the oil between 50-75 hours. Which means that by 80-90 hours it will get done.

To get up to 300-500 hours you will need to be running a engine with a oil filter on it. If it does not have a filter i would be changing the oil every 50-100 hours.

There is also a honda eu2000 user group on yahoo, there DYI information on how to do anything that is possible to your honda there.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda_EU2000_Generators/
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: What Generator Types does everyone use? - 08/28/07 11:09 PM

I have a Troybilt 5,500w with a 10hp Briggs runs off of regular gas, all I need to power if the SHTF is my Jetpump,furnace and maybe the frig.