Coffee

Posted by: LED

Coffee - 06/14/07 08:28 AM

Well, being a big coffee drinker, its essential I start the day off with a nice steaming cup of black gold. Camping, and especially backpacking, its a challenge to make good coffee to say the least. Over the years I've used everything under the sun including, coffee bags, instant, percolator, coffee press, cowboy coffee, pre-made, etc. But so far the easiest method (with the best taste results, easy cleanup, and least excess equipment) is using a standard manual cone filter that sits on top of the mug where you just pour in boiling water over the grains. My manual cone filter holder is actually a filter holder from a broken Black and Decker coffee maker. Its plastic, holds a #4 filter(the big one), and is lightweight. Along with a ziplock bag of pre-ground coffe, I pack either sugar packets or honey, and some individual liquid coffee-mate creamer packets(no need to refrigerate). Look, if I have to I'll drink whatever's there to get the day started. I'm talking about preference here. Whats your method for the camping cup a joe?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 08:59 AM

I take an enameled coffee pot and prepackaged coffee (the same ones found in motel rooms) and this has satisfied my needs, in the field.

I bring packets of sugar & cream IF, someone else is along who likes that in their coffee. Me, I'm too lazy to bother mixing that stuff into my coffee.
Posted by: stargazer

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 09:05 AM

I am also a big coffee drinker. I usually start the AM with plenty of coffee. When outdoors, I prefer the cowboy coffee method. I was just thinking of replacing my old pot as it now has a hole in it. frown I am looking to buy a GSI outdoors 6 cup stainless percolator pot. I prefer this type to drip coffee. If I am on a overnighter, I don't mind the Nescafe instant in the pouch. I have even tried Folger's singles, but I don't prefer the taste. I don't really mind the clean-up because on some outdoor camp outs I usually do a Dutch Oven meal and live by the philosophy of I cooked it, you clean-up. I put the coffee into a 12 ounce insulated mug. Small, I know, but one advantage is the lid from a Pringles chip canister fits snuggly and has more than once kept coffee off of the floor of the truck, ambulance or whatever I am driving that day. laugh
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 01:22 PM

I've got a plastic gizmo that works just like your cone filter thing. It has a little removable hoppper/filter in the bottom that you remove, put your coffee into, then you sit the thing on top of your mug, pour water into, wait a few minutes, and a nice hot cup of real coffee. Then I replaced it with an insulated mug with built in coffee press. I actually liked the drip/cone thing better, but this is one less thing to carry around (altho I don't backpack anymore, I do car camp, and ya gotta have coffee in the am)...
Posted by: norad45

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 01:46 PM

I use one of these big percolator-type makers plus a thermos or vacuum bottle. One neat trick is to put a regular paper coffee filter in the basket. Cuts down on grounds and makes it a lot easier to dump out for the next pot. I use coffee bags for backpacking and they taste ok but nothing spectacular.
Posted by: 91gdub

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 02:08 PM

Big time coffee drinker here!
While camping I use an old fashioned 6 cup perc style with either my stove or right on the fire.
I use 4 scoops of coffee, fill it with water, once it comes to a boil I'll either turn down the stove to just simmer or move from hottest part of fire. Let it simmer for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, let it steep (basiclly settle) for a couple of minutes then right into the cup for me.
I ALWAYS make a pot in the evening and put it into my Thermos bottle. In the morning while the pot is on the fire I pour myself a cup from thermos and heat it a bit if needed. No waiting that way.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 03:07 PM

I love coffee and I'm drinking a cup now! If I'm camping with the family, we almost always have some non-essential (my opinion) junk, so it doesn;t bother me to bring our little stainless perculator. But when I'm out alone or trying to stay light, I just use the Folgers coffee bags. No sugar or cream to mess it up laugh
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 03:38 PM

My big brother/buddy/steady kayaking/trekking partner bought this about 7 years ago. We are still using it today. Yeah it is big, yeah it is heavy but for morning glory this is the best thing we found. Pretty handy for boiling tea, water and other stuff.

Link to the REI site: http://www.rei.com/product/401051

They also have a smaller version available.

Posted by: billym

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 04:14 PM

I no longer drink coffee but I was a real snob about it when I did.
This single serving filter does not use any additional filters it has a gold mesh screen. It makes excellent coffee.

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-623/2-42432/3-1/bb/one_cup_coffee_filter,single_cup_coffee_filter,one_cup_coffee_filters,1_cup_coffee_filter.htm?

Most of the gadgets you will find at a place like REI do not make very good coffee; some make terrible brown water instead.

French presses make a pretty good cup.

Edit; It looks like to one in the link has a SS screen instead of gold.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 06:47 PM

mellita makes a gadget that makes coffe that tastes like it cme out of your coffe maker. Same thing as your filter basket. but it only weighs about 2oz. and not as bulky as the filter holder from you old black and decker.

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0008&Cat=
Posted by: aloha

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Polak187
My big brother/buddy/steady kayaking/trekking partner bought this about 7 years ago. We are still using it today. Yeah it is big, yeah it is heavy but for morning glory this is the best thing we found. Pretty handy for boiling tea, water and other stuff.

Link to the REI site: http://www.rei.com/product/401051

They also have a smaller version available.

Nice one Matt. Looks like a billy can with a spout.

Re: Coffee - 06/14/07 09:58 PM

You guys are starting to make me re-think my setup. That Sky Bistro press thing looks pretty neat. And hell, if I'm gonna car camp that percolator with the handle might be a good idea. My current method kind of requires micro-managing the whole thing whereas these other methods are pretty much fill it up, put it on, and forget about it. Just when I thought I had it all figured out.....

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 12:21 AM

"...I ALWAYS make a pot in the evening and put it into my Thermos bottle. In the morning while the pot is on the fire I pour myself a cup from thermos and heat it a bit if needed. No waiting that way..."

I do that in our motorhome. Even having all the comforts of home, an instant cup of coffee is heaven...

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 01:18 AM

"...OBG, you're a man of distinction and of taste :-)..."

Thanks. Just don't ask me where I get the coffee that I drink...

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 01:56 AM

"...No sugar or cream to mess it up..."

Yup. It's not coffee if you put that stuff in it!!!
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 02:02 AM

I know that most of you will cry "blasphemy!", but I prefer instant above all other coffees. As a lazy person I enjoy only just adding hot water and stirring but that's just me. It's good for when you're on a break at work (they never last long anyhow, so anything to save some time).

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 03:35 AM

Nope, I have been known to sip a cup of instant from time to time. Not as good as the real stuff, but better than nothing...
Posted by: hercdoc

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 03:44 AM

I just had to get in on this thread because I love my drip coffee maker I bought at a yard sale in Alaska for $1.00 about ten years ago! It's aluminum which makes it light weight and I can store my stove and coffee cup inside the pot. My current stove is and MSR Pocket Rocket which will get a pot of water boiling in around three minutes. I fill the coffee hopper with grounds, screw it onto the water reservoir, boil the water in one pot and then pour it into the water reservoir which drips into the other pot. While the coffee is dripping I boil another pot of water for oatmeal or whatever I want for breakfast. The only complaint I have is that the metal handles get extremely hot while boiling water. I always carry a handkerchief that I use for a pot holder tho lift the pot off the store or to pour a cup of coffee. Here are a couple of pictures I took tonight of my setup.

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 04:24 AM

Pretty slick. Only problem (for me) is that I like an insulated mug, which probably wouldn't work with that rig. But who knows, it might fit...

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
I know that most of you will cry "blasphemy!", but I prefer instant above all other coffees. As a lazy person I enjoy only just adding hot water and stirring but that's just me. It's good for when you're on a break at work (they never last long anyhow, so anything to save some time).

I drank instant for a loooong time. No complaints here. But now if I wanna travel extra light I use coffe extract packets. More expensive but I don't buy them very often, mostly for backpacking.

http://javajuiceextract.com/
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 01:38 PM

I used to have one of them filter thingies that sat atop my mug, till one day when it tipped my mug while I was pouring water into it and the splash went into my wife's lap. Then it went into the fire ring right quick. I blame it on the lousy picnic table, the fact that I was handling hot water BEFORE getting my caffiene dose, and Murphy taking a seat right next to the wife and bumping my arm or something just as I was pouring. Looking back, OBG's thermos idea might've saved the day.

Depending on the crowd at camp, I use a coffee boiler with one of them old tobacco bags loaded with grounds. None ever escape, and the cleanup is a cinch. Actually, the bags are little mineral sample bags that are much the same as the old plug cut tobacco containers Grandad used for his coffee making afield.

I've tried using them filter encapsulated Maxwell House things. Not a bad idea, except for the coffee inside was worthless. Same went for them Folgers single serving teabag types. Lousy coffee mixed with a good idea still equals a lousy cup of coffee.

Then I came across a teabag type arrangement from a company down in Oz called Robert Timms. They actually had a couple different offerings for a "gourmet" type coffee, my favorite being an italian roast blend. I later found out that the teabag contained a combination of fairly good quality dark roast grounds and a bit of good quality instant expresso. Needless to say, I became quite a fan. Not only was it a vast improvement over the instant offerings most of the Aussies seemed to favor, but it was well packaged and not too expensive.

Sadly, Robert Timms does not export to the US. As you can imagine, I managed to smuggle a good supply of the little baggies back home here with me, to be included in any future camping/backpacking trips and such. No need to waste them here in town when I've literally got a Stabuck's on every block around me, and we have office coffee free for the taking. Just in case, I have contacts back in Oz that will ship me more anytime I feel the need.

I will still use my coffee boiler and tobacoo bags at camp if I have more than two coffee drinkers, me included. I will, however, always keep a handful of these Timms bags in my EDC/BOB/grub box, for those times when I need a convenient cup or two. They will sit right next to my Lipton Black tea bags, of course.

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
..........I've tried using them filter encapsulated Maxwell House things. Not a bad idea, except for the coffee inside was worthless. Same went for them Folgers single serving teabag types. Lousy coffee mixed with a good idea still equals a lousy cup of coffee. ...............

That's what I carry when I don;t want the weight or the hassle....Folgers coffee bags. I admit, they're not joe out of the coffeepot at home, but when I know what's coming, it doesn;t surprise me and I like it! Same with instant. As long as I know I'm mixing up some instant, I'm prepared for the "shock". laugh

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 03:38 PM

Yep, that's what I like about them Robert Timms bags. Same exact setup, only containing something worth tasting. You know, I don't understand why that ain't caught on more here in the states. Seems most tea companies sell teabags as a mainstay, why not coffee? Obviously it can be done, and you'd think there'd be a market for it. Having only one choice (Folgers) is just not a reasonable option.

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 03:41 PM

Yep, and sometimes the ulcer demands I cut my coffee with something to soothe the savage beast.

Hmm, anyone ever put egg in their coffee?
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 08:56 PM

Yep, and sometimes the ulcer demands I cut my coffee with something to soothe the savage beast.

My grandmother used to put egg shells in the pot
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Coffee - 06/15/07 09:12 PM

Some sailors have been known to put a raw egg in their Capt's coffee, as a joke!!

Re: Coffee - 06/16/07 04:27 AM

I've heard of the eggshells, but not egg in coffee. Interesting. We eat eggs and drink coffee. Egg in coffee.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Coffee - 06/16/07 10:05 PM

I prefer instant coffee too, which is convenient. My problem is that I like it made with 50% milk (and sugar - I usually keep very quiet when I'm around real coffee drinkers) and I've yet to find a powdered alternative I like. When I'm car-camping I take a vacuum flask of milk. If I have to carry it I drink oxo-cubes instead.

I've recently come across the "cappuccino" packets. I find the Nescafe brand is drinkable in a pinch so I'll try carrying that this summer. (I've also tried a cheap Asda version but it tasted a bit chemical.)
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Coffee - 06/19/07 07:59 AM

For me it's one of those lexan French presses in camp smile & instant sick when backpacking/climbing/etc. Between the issues of space/weight & disposal of the grounds instant coffee is far more convenient when not in camp.
Posted by: Craig_phx

Re: Coffee - 06/19/07 05:40 PM

I have been using the Big Sky Bistro French Press/Travel Mug with great luck for over a year. It is very easy to use: pour coffee, pour hot water, press and drink.

I have also taken a metal cup, heated water, poked my neckerchief in the water, added coffee and pulled out the neckerchief and drank the coffee. It was surprisingly good. Cleaning off the neckerchief is a little messy.

Posted by: harrkev

Re: Coffee - 06/19/07 07:25 PM

I have a JetBoil with the french press attachment. Very slick having a water boiler and a french press in one.

As an engineer, I appreciate good engineering. The JetBoil java kit is very impressive in that regard. The new lid has a hole in it for the shaft. The shaft breaks down into two pieces that fits in the mug beside the stove. The strainer fits into the bottom cover. Pretty cool.

Too bad french presses (or are they still "freedom presses wink ") can be somewhat messy to clean up.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Coffee - 06/19/07 11:04 PM

Actually, it's funny you say that, but, when I was on a trip white water rafting on the Penobscott River a few years back in Maine, the guide made what he called "River Coffee" in the morning. They just had a pot of boiling water, with coffee grinds thrown in. After it boiled for a bit, he let it sit for a minute off the fire. The grinds settle to the bottom, and then he cracks a raw egg into it! crazy

The egg mixes with the grinds on the bottom of the pot, cooks/congeals, and then you can pour off the coffee without getting many grinds. It's STRONG, but, that's what you need to wake up before you hit the class V rapids.

Re: Coffee - 06/20/07 05:26 AM

"...french presses...can be somewhat messy to clean up..."

Indeed they can!!!
Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: Coffee - 06/20/07 08:24 PM

For camping I use a perculator, try to slip in a filter to ease the cleanup. I've used and like the filter press cups, but they are messy to cleanup but simple.
For kits I've used coffee bags from Folgers ...but will have to quiz my friends in Oz about the Timms products, they sound nice.
For E-kits, my choices revolve around cleanup ... and loose grounds is a pain in my mind...though it makes better coffee.
Am intriqued by the java juice extract product. Will be gettin' some of that and trying it out.
Small, compact and easily cleaned up is high on my list for E-kit use and packing light and so higher cost for less used isn't really a problem either. Car camping, with space and weight being a non-issue, mostly, I can use the same stuff as at home and manage the invested cost easily.
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Coffee - 06/21/07 02:49 PM

OK, all of you, I've just ordered a stainless coffee press from Thermos for camping and road trips and such. You've given me new hope for feeding my caffeine addiction when away from home.

Frank2135

Re: Coffee - 06/21/07 03:16 PM

Happy sipping...